Goodreads asked Caryl McAdoo:

Caryl McAdoo Find a good writers' group and be faithful to it. God led my husband and I to the DFW Writers' Workshop in 1993. In six years, we got our first contract. We were members there fifteen years before moving to Northeast Texas, and learned our craft through being mentored by a few great 'traditionally' published authors good enough to share their knowledge.

After being published by Simon and Schuster, I've gone independent myself and love the freedom and control it affords me. Still though, being traditionally published gives an author a certain 'badge of recognition' that says, 'this one has learned the craft and can pen a story that industry professionals have found worthy of publication.'

Find a group that scrutinizes your work and offers suggestions to improve it. A group that only pats you on the back doesn't help you get better at your craft. I know it may hurt a little, but toughen up, listen hard, and consider every comment. Not all will fit, but many will! :)