Ginny Goettler

To answer questions about The Orphan Collector, please sign up.
Ashley Cooprider I believe this happened...how horrible!
K Read the historical fiction book The Orphan Train, by Christina Baker Kline. Set during the depression. You can find a book summary and that may also open up more avenues for your research.
Kate I wondered the same thing, and also searched online to see if the author talked about this during any interviews. I didn’t find anything either. I sure would like to know more about that.
Jennifer Coakley I could find no historical accounts of orphans being stolen to send on the trains; I researched a bit after finishing the novel as well.
Donna M Rudiger The author clarifies this aspect of the story in the "Author's Note" at the back of the novel. Ellen Marie Wiseman specifically states that this aspect of the story was used as "creative license" to build the characters. There were children who were orphaned, but according to my maternal Grandmother, who lived in Philadelphia and lost a husband and infant son to this flu in 1919, many of the orphans were taken in by family, friends and neighbors. The strength of the German community she belonged to endeavored to ensure that there was "no child left behind".
Karen
Beverly Shustack the main characters are too " black and white". Nurse portrayed "too evil"...
Image for The Orphan Collector
by Ellen Marie Wiseman (Goodreads Author)