Tien
Tien asked:

I found Leaving the Atocha Station almost unbearable, and it appears this book shares the same main character. Am I right to assume that I will probably not enjoy this novel either?

To answer questions about The Topeka School, please sign up.
Georgia Taylor I'm quitting while 135 pages in, I don't like the writing/storytelling. I couldn't explain really what it was about to a co-worker, and took that as a sign. And I'm a librarian!
Pat Padden You'll effing hate it.
Linda I've only read The Topeka School, but I didn't like it at all. I only finished it because my Book Club is discussing it. Otherwise, I would have quit it.
Susannah honestly: don't bother
Lee The books are really different, so maybe you'd like The Topeka School better? I actually preferred Leaving Atocha Station because it was funny and did not seem to take itself too seriously. The Topeka School is extremely earnest (maybe to its detriment).
Beryl WHEN I BEGAN TTS, I COULDN'T STAND IT, PLUS IF I PUT IT DOWN I COULDN'T FIND MY PLACE (IT WAS CONFUSING) AND ALL CHARACTERS SEEMED SO VAPID. ANYWAY I REVISITED IT AND JUST FINISHED IT. FOR ME IT WAS ABOUT FINDING LERNER'S STYLE/RHYTHM AND WHEN I DID (WITHOUT TRYING) I WAS ABLE TO CONTINUE READING, ENJOYING IT AND ENJOYING HIS MASTERY OF VOCABULARY AND DEPTH. FROM HATING IT I AM NOW A FAN AND WILL/MAY TRY HIS OTHER BOOKS...I'LL LET YOU KNOW! THANKS.
Spookster A You might not be cut out for the kind of reading this book necessitates
Jim If you found Atocha Station unbearable than you will not like this one either, most likely.
Diana Fisher I only finished this because I couldn't return the book and felt bad wasting the money. Now I've wasted time and money.
Dana Monroe I did not finish this book at about 110 pages; I did not read Atocha Station.
I did not enjoy the writing style or characters and had a hard time following the story
Lynn I'm not that far in, I haven't read anything by him before, I find it somewhat unbearable? But I'm curious, so I'm going to continue reading...
B.r. Stagg I really didn't care for Atocha Station when I read it. found it boring. Then I found 10:04 fascinating, even if I thought the last half was a drag. This is his best and more conventional. He actually cares about character development here!
Cynthia I could not even begin Leaving the Atocha Station or Lerner's other one but fell right into this one very easily
Image for The Topeka School