Paul
Paul asked:

Anyone else notice the how the story line mimicked the wheel of time? I liked most of the story and there is plenty of original plot so I will recommend it but it was very similar to other books, just more condensed.

To answer questions about The Name of the Wind, please sign up.
Amenophis Wish I could say WoT raises to a quarter of this book's value ... But it just doesn't. It is entirely other league. You may compare it to Tolkien. Jordan is slow going and tedious to parse the phrase where Rothfuss is eloquent yet poetical ... as for the characters, Kvothe is ALIVE and PULSING throughout both of the books, while Jordan's are staggering if not hitting their heads against the same door-frame in every single book utterly failing credibility. No comparison.
Jp I don't really see the WoT connection except that the two principal characters are redheads.
Vcvsdfvs34 Never thought of WoT once while reading these books.
Andrew It's similar in the sense that it is fantasy, and it's not dark or complex. Both the wheel of time and this series have a character that's likeable, flawed, but still what most people would consider "good". However, the story is completely different. This is structured in flash backs. Moreover, the content is vastly different. There's nothing resembling trollocs/myrdraal/shadowspawn. I will say that the Chaendrians remind me a little of the Forsaken. Still, that is only one similarity. Everyone likes to compare everything in fantasy to LOTR or WoT these days unless the book involves lots of torture and killing and anti-hero protagonists. I think that people who like WoT will like this series, but I don't think that the story is similar.
Avaminn F'nett I didn't. How does it mimic the Wheel of Time? It's completely different.
Jack Read I have read about 8 of Jordans books and am about 80% of the way through Name of the wind and Name of the wind is infinitely better than Wheel of time. Rothfuss >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jordan.
Dance With Me Then A bit. In the Wheel of Time, it's the Tinkers and the Aiel, in the Kingkiller Chronicle it's the Edema Ruh and the Adem. Both are peoples of the same origin, refugees from the ancient times that chose completely different paths. I think I had noticed more similarities before but I've forgotten them since. It doesn't really bother me though.
M.M. Stauffer No way dudes, it has the exact plot as Terminator. Think about it, seriously.
SueZ I had that thought in the first chaper, yes. Red head protagonist, out of the way small village, creepy creatures that people don't really beliefe in show up. But after that, no, pretty diffrent.
Luke For all the people comparing this to WoT, I love both books and I would be hard pressed to decide which one I enjoy more. I would say it is like asking someone what their favorite food is when lasagna is their favorite dish, but ice cream is their favorite dessert. The Wheel of Time is like lasagna. It takes longer to eat, but it is much more filling. The Name of the Wind is like ice cream. It's cool, fresh, and so sweet that you can't stop eating it until there's none left.

While both of these series are definitely "epic fantasy," they are very different stories. Just look at the difference in the number of characters in each. If memory serves, the WoT has almost 150 different POVs throughout the 14 books. The Kingkiller Chronicles has had 3. Whichever books are better to read depends completely on what mood you're in and what kind of series you are looking to read. Honestly, I'd start the WoT and take breaks to read Kingkiller when WoT gets tiresome before continuing.
Jeff There's no such thing as a stupid question Paul. At least, there didn't used to be. I'd say the main difference between the two is that WoT was terrible. I suppose they both fall into the 'fantasy' category ... so there's that. Though I prefer to put WoT in the 'trash can' category.
I mean, come on bro- give Pat a little credit. WoT was written. Name of the Wind was authored. They're not even in the same league.
RF There are plenty of superficial resemblances that only seem significant when the chapters are boiled down to single sentence plot descriptions. Protagonist trains with isolated warrior culture of redheads following the Indefinable Way of the Leaf. Old traveling man with a cloak of many colors is wise and helpful. Prime numbered group of mysterious and powerful sorcerers from ancient times wreak havoc. Fae.

While actually reading the books they're so completely different I hadn't thought about it. Name of the Wind has so much observational/emotional subtlety and a totally different storytelling focus. The high points in Wheel of Time are usually "some arbitrarily powerful magic satisfied all our goals because I willed it so, like REALLY REALLY willed it, so it happened", whereas memorable Rothfuss moments are more about what it's like to be alive and human. I fandork out when he imbues buildups of emotion/meaning/personal history into what should be mundane actions, like someone looking at a rock or making soap or catching dinner. (wink)
K I did not see one single similarity between the two. I certainly would not say "mimicked".
Saul the Heir of Isauldur WoT didn't even cross my mind. When I read this book, each time, I got its unique feel, wasn't reminded of much or anything else. Which is, in my opinion, pretty high praise.
Matthew Barnes Considering we don't know anything about the plot besides, Kvothe thinks he does a good, but fails miserably and runs a bed and breakfast in bumfuck nowhere and hates himself now.

I think its a bit early to start linking the flame.
Héctor Not a similar story at all
Stephen Burkholz similar concepts for sure. I hate how the Lethani and Ji'e'toh are very close as well as the Aiel and the Ruh... He must have pulled concepts. Rothfuss is a shitter for making us wait for 10+ years for the 3rd book and no end in sight. He's nowhere near Jordan in the scope of writing and world-building. Its sad people think so.
Amber One major similarity no one's pointed out yet is that both the sword moves from WoT and the sex moves in KKC have the same style of everyday-action names (Maiden Combing her Hair, Falling Leaf, Thousand Hands, etc). This is verily important and the most veritable proof available.

Apart from that -- both the Aiel and the Adem are pale-eyed white warrior people based loosely on real-life ethnic warrior people, and the Edema Ruh and Tinkers are both loosely Romani. The Maer is named Rand, and Kvothe and Rand both have red hair when red hair isn't common in their respective cultures. Otherwise... see all the other comments.

Also, Rothfuss said on his blog that he hasn't read WoT (or hasn't finished -- I can't remember).
Koos van Deventer So I read WoT after I read this book and it never felt similar. If you mean that there is a character starting at the bottom and struggling to then eventually rise to the top. That is probably similar to most stories and life in general. Which makes the best stories I think.

What I want to say is that I experienced the book to be uniquely brilliant and worth anybodies time.
Boy Blue One similarity may be that both authors will not live to see the end of their series.
Ray Slone Everybody is acting like this is ridiculous but the adem have a form of sign language. So do the aiel spear maidens not to mention they both have warrior women. The tinkers are traveling gypsy people, so are the edema ruh. It may be homages or just coincidence but wheel of time was very influential.
Solemn This book was in no way like the wheel of time.
Dawnstream It did have lots of travel and convenient encounters with useful people, but this story focuses attention on one single character. The Wheel of Time had a huge story with many distinct individuals. I tried to read the series in college, but I couldn't commit enough brain power to it to keep everyone strait. I need try WoT again, without all that Calc, Chem, Bio and Physics buzzing around upstairs.
Ariel nothing like WoT.. however Rothfuss is a great successor to the epic heroic fantasies we find in the pages of both Jordans and Tolkiens adventures.
Christina Honestly, having listened to both this book is WAY better than The Wheel of Time.
Kevin Regan Disagree but did anyone notice how the wheel of time is essentially the lord if the rings?
Jennifer As much as it does Game of Thrones, or Guy Gavriel Kay or almost any epic fantasy that draws from historical cultures in our world.
Laura No, if it is similar to anything then it is A Wizard of Earthsea
Robert Callaway Curious to see the list of similar books. Rather in my opinion this book stood out on its own amongst a large established fantasy canon. Holding up to the likes of Tolkien in world building, characterization, and eloquence. Though still host to many of the norm fanatsy motifs (as many other fantasy novels are). The material is unique, fresh, and entirley original. I really have a hard time comparing this to other stories in its genre except for the facts that its a) full of magic and b) set in a fantasy world.
Ricardo Walker Except PR hadn't read them, indeed they were not nearly as advanced when he was writing.
Arthur Torrez I don't see the connection. WoT is centered around prophecy, Fate, and the journey toward it's realization. The Name of The Wind is something else, rich with adventure, and ambition, mystery. To make a comparison, if both books were a question, WoT would be multiple choice, where The Name of The Wind would be essay. If that makes sense.
Anton Gorlin I didn't notice WoT connection either, looked pretty authentic to me.
Anthoney I found the WoT books to have much better actualized and well rounded characters. Other than both being fantasy they are nothing a like,
Miser Mcbrewshmittle I noticed alot of names from WOT in KKC. I wouldnt say the plot was similar. Alot of fantasy genre that I have read follows the Tolkien approach of farm lad saves the world. Kvothe doesnt seem to be the sterio typical unknowing farm lad. He is more of a child in to deep. His smarts have gotten him in trouble far more then Rand or Froto. I have wondered though how much of a fan Patrick is of WOT with using several of the key players names in his book though. Ecspecially with the Mayor Alverons first name being Rand, and his family having a powerful past. Either way I love tying my favorite books into each other and developing my own fantasy connections in my head.
Edward No, totally didn't notice any similarities. It's about as unlike Wheel of Time as it's possible to get while still sharing the common genre of epic fantasy.
Marie I read this comment before reading the book and even keeping this question in mind didn't see the connection. Rothfuss writing is also far superior - both beautiful and compelling and the only similarity I see with WoT is the genre.
Scott I have had the displeasure of reading 8 WoT atrocities before realizing that I would literally never get that time in my life back. In contrast rarely a day passes that I don't wonder when I would possibly get my hands upon day 3. I can't fathom any meaningful semblance between the two. It's like comparing the worlds finest champaign to drinking mouth wash.
Christian Maulsby Minick..... that is Weaksauce... maybe if you were just coming off the wheel of time series you did it subconsciously. BUT YOU ARE WAY OFF. This series may be the most unique I've read. They brought me back to the fantasy genre.
Kit Pat has said that WoT had very little direct influence on his writing since he didn't get very far in reading the series.
William Davidson Not the same at all.
Marco Fallermo Nope, and nope. It did not mimic wheel of time the slightest. Except that some characters have red hair, but i would not call that mimmicking.
Paul Just for the record I really enjoyed the books and I agree that over all the plot was unique. I also understand it's a child of destiny fantasy book so it is going to have things in common with WoT. I should have focused my criticism on why Kvothe learned hand fighting from a misunderstood mysterious people? That portion, combined with other common fantasy plot points is what made me think of WoT.
Image for The Name of the Wind
by Patrick Rothfuss (Goodreads Author)