Goodreads asked Hugo Negron:

Hugo Negron Forging of a Knight was a series I developed back in grade school as a fan of fantasy and mythology, and over time the stories slowly evolved, grew, and matured into what I have put forth today. The third book in the series, Forging of a Knight, Prison Planet of the Mah-Lahkt, will be coming out later this year, and I have 4-5 stories after that to flesh out. At one point between college, work, life, etc., I tossed the notes and ideas for the series aside (literally!) and luckily thought twice about it!

The stories are a progression for the main character Qualtan - a maturation process that many people can connect with, even if you don't fight ogres or trolls or Those That Stand in Shadow on a daily basis. From wanting to become a knight, to fearing once he was a knight, would he be good enough at it? Finally, to at last feel comfortable in the role of a knight, and to transcend that role. Similar to what many of us experience - the fear of not succeeding in school, hoping to be good enough at a chosen career path, to excel once you're in it, and eventually to feel you've hit that plateau, which forces the idea of risking that comfortable security by going independent with your own thoughts and ideas, which may or may not go against the grain. These milestones are the same ones Qualtan must face, despite living in a world of fantasy and myth.