Sherry asked this question about Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West:
I want to read this, too. Can't believe I still haven't. Dad said that he has.
Stephanie Not every book is a big pile of happy. This book is noteworthy on a number of levels, not the least of which was that it was the first to tell the…moreNot every book is a big pile of happy. This book is noteworthy on a number of levels, not the least of which was that it was the first to tell the story of the West from the point of view of Native People and receive widespread attention for it. It became associated with AIM (The American Indian Movement) and the retaking of Wounded Knee in protest in the late 1960's / early 1970's.

All my textbooks growing up were whitewashed (forgive the pun). This book blew me away. I was proud to be able to give a copy to an Apache friend of mine before he passed away. It meant a lot to him, he said it was the first time he saw the truth written down in a book.

In any situation, looking at a situation from a new point of view broadens the mind and deepens the understanding. This is one of the great books of history of all time.(less)
Image for Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee