Start by marking “Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West” as Want to Read:
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  51,945 ratings  ·  2,901 reviews
Now a special 30th-anniversary edition in both hardcover and paperback, the classic bestselling history The New York Times called "Original, remarkable, and finally heartbreaking...Impossible to put down."

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is Dee Brown's eloquent, fully documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the ninetee
Paperback, Thirtieth Anniversary Edition, 509 pages
Published January 23rd 2001 by Henry Holt and Company, LLC (first published April 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, please sign up.
Tarah Hi- 2 years late, but I had the same question (so maybe you'll get the update that I've responded). I had serious problems placing events (being both…moreHi- 2 years late, but I had the same question (so maybe you'll get the update that I've responded). I had serious problems placing events (being both generally bad at geography and at remembering things). So I went through and MADE annotations to maps wherever I could. I've shared it on a Google Doc. If folks find any others, please let me know!
Stephanie Not every book is a big pile of happy. This book is noteworthy on a number of levels, not the least of which was that it was the first to tell the…moreNot every book is a big pile of happy. This book is noteworthy on a number of levels, not the least of which was that it was the first to tell the story of the West from the point of view of Native People and receive widespread attention for it. It became associated with AIM (The American Indian Movement) and the retaking of Wounded Knee in protest in the late 1960's / early 1970's.

All my textbooks growing up were whitewashed (forgive the pun). This book blew me away. I was proud to be able to give a copy to an Apache friend of mine before he passed away. It meant a lot to him, he said it was the first time he saw the truth written down in a book.

In any situation, looking at a situation from a new point of view broadens the mind and deepens the understanding. This is one of the great books of history of all time.(less)

·  51,945 ratings  ·  2,901 reviews

Arukiyomi
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The "land of the free" is no longer "the home of the brave.""

It took me a long while to read this.

It wasn't that it was a boring read. far from it. But it was a disturbing read, and the fact that each chapter follows virtually the same pattern made it that much harder to read. You knew from the start how each chapter would end, though you desperately hoped it wouldn't.

Dee Brown's book should be required reading for every US citizen and on the book list for anyone considering US citizenship. It
Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
Fair warning, there may be some political views in this review which should not be surprising being that this book is the history of a government slaughtering a native people because they were simply in the way.

This book is a comprehensive history of the Native American from the moment when the white man showed up on this continent. It kind of goes a little like this.

White guys: “Hey y’all. Love the feathers! Wow its cold and we’re hungry; you wouldn’t be so kind as to help us out.”

Native Americ
Morgan
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone. Especially Americans.
I am FINALLY done with this book. It took me forever to read, largely due to the fact that it is absolutely heartbreaking. Most days I couldn't take reading it for more than 15 minutes.

That said, I believe it is one of the most important books I have read in my life. I find it absolutely unbelievable that I grew in Wyoming of all places, where many parts of "Bury My Heart" take place. I was surrounded by Native American culture, I learned about them in school, we took field trips to see places
Ahmad Sharabiani
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West, Dee Alexander Brown
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West is a 1970 book by American writer Dee Brown that covers the history of Native Americans in the American West in the late nineteenth century. The book expresses details of the history of American expansionism from a point of view that is critical of its effects on the Native Americans. Brown describes Native Americans' displacement through
Trevor
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, race
This was a remarkably depressing book. It is the sort of book that shows over and over again that there was literally nothing the Native Americans could have done to protect themselves from the all consuming and endlessly veracious greed of the European settlers. Just about every ‘tactic’ imaginable was used by the Native Americans – from treaties to war to abject capitulation – and nothing made any difference. The final result was always the same.

This is a tale of genocide. It is a tale in whic
Matt
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Dee Brown takes the reader on a thorough and quite disheartening journey through the military and political journey to settle the Western frontier of the United States of America. There is much within this piece of non-fiction that pushes the boundaries and Brown does not hold back in his delivery. The central premise of the book is to explore many of the Indian (and I use this term, as it is peppered throughout by Brown, though I acknowledge is a derogatory term in Canada) settlements and the g ...more
Mariah Roze
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
I read this book for the Goodreads' book club Diversity In All Forms! If you would like to participate in the discussion here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I also read this as a buddy read with Matt :)

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee was extremely heartbreaking, because it was so truthful. This book is told in story form. However, the author got his information from using council records, autobiographies, and firsthand descriptions.

The stories range from multiple different tr
Darwin8u
“I thought God intended us to live,” Standing Bear told Crook, “but I was mistaken. God intends to give the country to the white people, and we are to die. It may be well; it may be well.”
- Standing Bear, quoted in Dee Brown's 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee'

description

One of the great histories of the United States. Published in 1970, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is a people's history; a history of those who lost, ultimately everything. From the beginning, Brown declares his intentions. He wants to tell t
Gaijinmama
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is devastating, relentless, and depressing. It should be required reading for all U.S. citizens. High school history classes really should teach kids just exactly how our country expanded west. As an American of European descent, I am thoroughly disgusted. Invasion and destroying other people's cultures is bad enough, but we did even worse than take the Indians' land and systematically destroy so many of their cultures. Read on.
And yes, it is"cultures", plural. Most white people never
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kindle
A comprehensive and utterly heartbreaking history of the plight of the Native American people in the United States. I found myself having to stop at times because the tears were so heavy and I was sick to my stomach. No human being should ever be treated so poorly. And the environmental destruction was abysmal.

A profound book. Wonderful photographs. Rich in detail. Thank you to the author for the wealth of knowledge and depth of research.

I had checked this out from my local library, but will be
Matt
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Written in the 1970s, Dee Brown's Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee remains a popular, relevant history of the Plains Indians. This is saying a lot. Aside from vague knowledge of Custer, and perhaps a viewing or two of Dances With Wolves, I'd venture that most Americans don't know or care much about this story. That makes sense, since it's never fun to think about the genocide committed by your ancestors.

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee is styled as an Indian history of the American west. It's told fr
Tim
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Usually you can take with a pinch of salt what’s quoted on the back cover of books but in this case when the New York Times says “Impossible to put down” they hit the nail on the head. Quite simply a masterpiece of conscientious research and organisational artistry. Dee Brown provides an immensely sympathetic account of the plight of many Indian tribes as the wheels of progress arrived to wipe out their lifestyle, if not their culture. You could say Brown is too sympathetic but then for a people
B the BookAddict

I first read this at Uni a long time ago; a factual and disturbing book, it pierced my conscience. I decided to read it again to see if my reaction to it had changed over the years. This book broke my heart back then and it has just broken my heart again. There were many times when I just put it aside and cried. The awfulness is that this is a true account of the methodical annihilation of the American Indian. Throw away your ideas gleaned from 'cowboys and indian' movies. This is an account of
aPriL does feral sometimes
It is very possible you learned in school about the depravities of the Nazis towards the Jews, homosexuals, Russian and Polish prisoners, intellectuals and the mentally disabled before and during World War II. Perhaps you believe the Nazis invented the arts of genocide. We all know, too, that ultimately the Nazis failed, as there are still Jews, Russians and Poles.

Missing or elided over in many of our history textbooks and education, there actually was an American genocide which occurred before
Tom
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
An important book, but depressing... and hard to read for that reason. A sad summary of the injustices done to the original occupants of this country. Unfortunately, they were a perceived barrier in the mad land grab that took place in the mid to late 1800s.

It's hard to comprehend the degree of evil done to them. So just imagine this from a modern day context.

------------------

- One day, you're sitting around, watching Oprah or whatever. Suddenly, there's a knock on your door. You answer and the
Zanna
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: native
I was surprised by this book. It has a quality of immediacy that I did not expect, and that makes it read more like a novel than any kind of history. If Brown has smoothed out the narration of the evidence with poetic license and surmise, then I commend that work highly, because it makes that evidence, which, I think, needs to be read and taught and known, highly accessible.

The book is structured quite naturally into chapters organised to facilitate reading, retelling and discussing a particular
Werner
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in American history
Shelves: history, books-i-own
This 1979 edition isn't the one I originally read in the early 70s, but it's the one I currently own, and referred to for this review. I read the book relatively soon after it was published, having heard of it and wanting (typically, given my fascination with the study of the past) to know and understand the history involved. But my interest in the broad subject was already shaped by reading about Indians as a child, and by sympathizing with them as mistreated underdogs in the Western movies and ...more
Candace
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What stood out for me in this book? First, so many promises made. So many promises broken. The hunger of white settlers and greedy men interested in the Indians' lands, and later, their reservation lands. It saddens the heart to read all that was done, the lies spoken, and the killing committed to obtain these lands.

Second,the destruction of the buffalo. Their carcases left to rot on the open plains angers the soul at the waste. All committed to (1) furnish the commercial markets and (2) destro
Andrew
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: history-us
NOTE: I in no way mean to denigrate the opinions and/or feelings of people who gave this book 4 or 5 stars. I make no assumptions as to why people have given this book such a high rating, though I do suggest one possibility could be to acknowledge the book's undeniable importance in presenting the Native American side of the story against the then-prevailing "victor's narrative."

I only read the two chapters concerning the fate of the Apache in general, and Cochise and Geronimo in particular, as
Roy Lotz
This is one of those books whose great merit was in undermining itself. When it was first published, in 1970, it must have been a shock to the Americans who grew up reading and watching movies about the heroic coy boys, settlers, and soldiers who settled the West. It was—and to an extent, remains—a key part of our national myth. But like so many national myths, it left unnoticed the people who were repressed, marginalized, or exterminated on the road to the country’s greatness. Books like this o ...more
booklady
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in learning the truth about our native heritage
Recommended to booklady by: a National Park Ranger
I got this book on our first trip around what I call the 'Great Sioux West'. When my dh retired from the AF we took a version of the trip I always dreamed of taking to see a good portion of our American West. We drove through parts of KS, NE, WY, MT, UT, and then back home. We visited mostly historic forts and National Parks. We stopped at endless historical markers and for countless deer, bison, and other wildlife. And all the while I read this incredible book. Although it covers Native America ...more
Chrissie
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook was available at Downpour for only USD5.95. Excellent narration by Grover Gardner.

DEVASTATING. Very difficult reading. Dense. I am very glad it was written and that I have read it. The language used is perfect. I don't know how to properly convey to what extent this book upset me. Everyone should read it. Maybe you think you know what has happened to Native Americans, but you do not know the half of it. In 30 years, 1860-1890, the people were destroyed, and along with them fauna, flora
Amanda NEVER MANDY
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I will keep it simple since I can’t seem to come up with anything to say, or more accurately, find the right word combo to say it with.

This book incites a powerhouse of emotions: anger, remorse, loss, outrage, sadness, disgust…

Notice how I left off the and? That’s because there are so many more words you can add to that list, which is why I have struggled with how to say what needs said. I had to put this book down so many times to allow my mind time to process the horror I felt after reading ea
Wayne Barrett

This is a tough one to review. Not because it isn't a good book, the writing and the details in the historical events provided is exceptional. It's tough because I believe I am just emotionally exhausted by the amount of similar stories I have digested in the last year. Late last year I read "Blood and Thunder", early this year I finished "Trail of Tears", and at this time, even though it is fiction (it is historical fiction) I am re-reading "Blood Meridian". It is so much information that I rea
Esmerelda Weatherwax
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the more famous novels which recounts the tales of the Native Americans suffering through the loss of their homes, lives, and cultures. This book took me a long time to get through, and not because it was a bad book, or boring, but because it was so difficult to read through.

I was adopted off of a reservation out in Iowa because my mother and her family were so destitute they couldn't afford to take on a child, many Natives living in modern times are living in squalor, with alcoh
Sara
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee reveals a sordid little truth about human beings: they have a great capacity to be cruel, to be prejudiced against someone not like themselves, and to justify any kind of horrid behavior with a logic that defies belief. Having just read The Narrow Road to the Deep North, it would have been easy to say, “How could the Japanese be so cruel and inhuman?” And, how often have we asked that same question about the Germans toward the Jews, or Southerners against their blac ...more
Helga Cohen
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is a heartbreaking account of the systemic annihilation of American Indian tribes across the western United States. Brown explores in a frank depiction how all the great Indian tribes were lied to, cheated and killed by the US government and military so they could settle the best territories and plunder the land and expand it for personal gain. Our United States was not expanded and built on freedom but on greed and oppression.

For many years before this book came o
Donna
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, even though it was about a tragic part of American history. I walked into this nonfiction book expecting a history report of sorts. While it was that, I was so happy that it wasn't dry. This was fascinating and the narrator of the audio version, did a fabulous job.

It was interesting to see this part of American History from the Native American perspective. Their story is heartbreaking and sad, but absolutely necessary to read and to understand. I firmly believe that when people
Lewis Weinstein
This is the kind of book you never forget. Every time I think of what the Nazis did, or some other of the many genecides the world has seen, I remember what we did to the native Americans who were living their lives in the way of ours, and I am a little less self-righteous in my criticism of others. Apparently, we are all capable of doing horrible things.
Lela
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! Hard to read in many places. My blond, blue-eyed husband let out a "whoo hoo," though, when Little Big Horn ended! In full disclosure, I am more than 1/16 Native American.
Goodreads Librari...: Correction/addition 3 20 Sep 12, 2018 01:30PM
NonFiction Pulitzers: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: June/July 2018 Buddy Read 52 26 Aug 10, 2018 03:01PM
Around the Year i...: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown 2 49 Jan 05, 2018 06:01PM
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee 16 80 Jul 17, 2017 02:26PM
can you read it? 9 70 Jul 17, 2017 02:17PM
Retro Chapter Chi...: November/December 2015: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee 44 20 Dec 27, 2016 07:32PM
  • In the Spirit of Crazy Horse: The Story of Leonard Peltier and the FBI's War on the American Indian Movement
  • Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux
  • God Is Red: A Native View of Religion
  • Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Blood and Thunder: An Epic of the American West
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
  • "I Will Fight No More Forever": Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War
  • The Comanche Empire
  • A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn - the Last Great Battle of the American West
  • Lakota Woman
  • The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History
  • Lame Deer, Seeker of Visions
  • Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance
  • Crazy Horse: The Strange Man of the Oglalas
  • Like a Hurricane: The Indian Movement from Alcatraz to Wounded Knee
  • The Indian Slave Trade: The Rise Of The English Empire In The American South, 1670-1717
  • Killing Custer: The Battle of Little Big Horn and the Fate of the Plains Indians
Dorris Alexander “Dee” Brown (1908–2002) was a celebrated author of both fiction and nonfiction, whose classic study Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is widely credited with exposing the systematic destruction of American Indian tribes to a world audience. Brown was born in Louisiana and grew up in Arkansas. He worked as a reporter and a printer before enrolling at Arkansas State Teachers College, wh ...more
“Nothing lives long
Only the earth and mountains”
1147 likes
“They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it.” 66 likes