JR
JR asked Gayle Forman:

How did you stop writing drafts? I mean, how did you know that it's the final draft? That, that's it. My book is finished and I'm satisfied with it. How or when did you know that? I've been writing for years yet somehow, I still cannot satisfy myself.

Gayle Forman There's an old adage: A book is never finished. It's just due. Which is partly true. You always find things to change. But in general, here is my process:

1. Write a draft. And I don't plow ahead; I tinker as I go so by the time I've finished a draft, it's not exactly a first draft.

2. Revise on screen. I number my revisions and this can be up to 15 versions.

3. Print out. Edit on paper.

4. Repeats steps 2 and 3 until the work feels "clean."

5. Read the book out loud. I always find all kinds of clunkers/problems/issues.

At this point, I turn it in to my editor and then do a revision or two or four, and repeat all the above steps.

6. But when I read aloud for events after the book is out, I edit as I go. I can't help it. A book is never really done.