Is this book worth the read? All my friends LOVE it, but I'm not sure if I would like it. It doesn't seem like my kind of read. Suggestions on if I should or shouldn't?

To answer questions about The Selection, please sign up.
Ellie-The-Book-Nerd I read this book series because of a friend's obsession as well. She ADORES these books and was going to slit my throat in my sleep one night if I didn't read it quickly. I'm not a romance person and also I get so worked up and upset at love triangles. I just HATE love triangles. Alas, I decided to read the book and save my life. I actually liked it. The next day I went to the library and got the second book. Then the next day I cried because all the copies of the last book were out of the library.
So, yes. I would recommend reading this. There is no harm in trying it, you might surprise yourself like I did.
Samantha I at first didn't think I would like the series but it is now one of my favorite books. The way it is written keeps you entertained and wanting more.
Bri I really liked this book. Just go into it with an open mind and form your own opinions about it.
Bailey Wainwright This book at the beginning seem like one of the stereotypical love triangles, but as you read it starts to grow on you. There will be moments where you will want to punch either America, Aspen, or Maxton in the face though. All the characters have ups and downs and I couldn't really pick a side until I was pretty far into the third book. It can be very funny at some points and I would suggest it.
Charlotte Not really, I didn't like it.
Julia Hörmayer Yes, I LOVE it! I would especially recommend it if you like Throne of Glass, books with beautiful dresses in them and cuteness.
Amy READ THIS SERIES IF YOU LIKE THE HUNGER GAMES!
Stacey I expected to not like it either since it seemed very juvenile. Don't get me wrong it very much sits at the youngest point of young adult in the way it is written. However it reads very much like trashy tv and is quite addictive. Just like a real housewives marathon, this book is hard to put down once you start. Luckily it's a very quick read and I finished it within half a day. I'd say get it from the library if you're unsure or download an ebook as it would probably be cheaper.
Sierra I usually hate this type of book. My friends loved it and I was skeptical. I hate love triangles and this book does have one. I don't even usually like YA books in general, although I've read plenty of them. The writing style is addictive though and in the end I really did love it. I would suggest you try it. Check it out at a library or just read a chapter or two at the book store. Once I read the first two chapters I couldn't seem to stop and it was a really quick read.
oh dear It was worth it, but not the most amazing book I have read. Romance. :)
Mila Hughes One girl in my class brought it to school to read, then all the girls, then some of the boys borrowed it. All my friends wanted me to read it but I kept telling them "I don't like romance and mushy gushy love story kind of books." But when I ran out of books to read I asked my friends to borrow it. They happily gave it to me and I started reading it. It turned out to be incredible, but Prince Maxon keeps the selection going forever, JUST END IT ALREADY. The quality of the books goes down as you read the series. And if your one of those people who skip through the embarrassing-parts-for-the-character then FYI there are a couple of those moments in the series.
piranha You've long since decided on it, but other people might have the same question.

I haven't read this book, and I won't because what I know about it tells me I'd dislike it. My friends are mostly outside of its target demographic, so that's not an issue.

But in general, when all my friends really love a book, I will read it even if it doesn't seem my kind of thing. For one, then we can talk about it together (though if you end up disliking it, that might make talking about it with people who love it require a little tact). Good conversation is almost always worth it. For another, it'll teach me something about my friends, so it won't be a total loss, even if I dislike it. And lastly, exposing myself to things outside my comfort zone is good for me, even if I end up disliking the book; I will have learned something from it.

On the other hand, this is a teen romance, not an edgy literary experiment or an insightful foreign viewpoint. If you read every teen romance your teenage friends love, you might not have time left to read anything else. ;) Nobody's life will be poorer if you pass on this one; it is not destined to become a classic.
Raiza Safeel you'll love the book if you love books like shatter me!!!
Dsqueenie If you have the feeling that you won't like the book you probably won't like it. It's better to tell you friends you can't be bothered to read it than explain later why you hate it!

However you won't really know one way or the other unless you do read it. I read it in about five hours over two days so you won't lose much time.
Ari It's kin of like a weird version of The Bachelor, I gave it 4/5 stars mainly because I'm picky. The dialogue at times was unbelievably corny and some characters you just hate so much that it discourages you from reading.
Elisa The-Bookie-Monster I didn't care for it at all. it's pretty much the Bachelor in book form with terrible female stereotypes. A lot of girls swoon over what Maxon says but everything he says just feels so forced to me.
Abbie Smith No offense but this book is like the series the bachelor. This book is not worth it. Theres nothing classy about the prince either
Chio It's not worth it. It's going to take the prince 3 books to select someone and then there's the stupid love triangle and pointless side stories. I read the first one, and I don't like leaving things unfinished, so I'll read the rest. I do like the prince, so maybe he'll salvage the story and make it worth your time and mine.
Grace Tiger Personally, I loved it. It's very whimsical but not sticky-sweet. A good read for sure.
Sophia Ellie-the-book-nerd, you totally should!!
Simone This book is definitely worth reading! I initially didn't know what to make of this book at first, but then my friends urged me on to read it and it was really really good. However in some parts it can be a little repetitive, but overall a real page turner.
Nikki Algoe Well it depends, this is like romance . Two guys like you and you have to choose between them so... if you like these types of books then you should go for it.
Miss Sweetness Every book is worth reading and people will give you mixed answers. Don't look at other people's opinions. If this book looks like something that would interest you, go ahead and read it. If it seems like crap to you, don't read it. Simple.
Inii3 I mean it is a quick read, but besides that, there is nothing good in it. The main character is just OMG, annoying as hell, the writing is awful, the love triangle is...do I even need to go on?
BUT, you might enjoy it, if you are able to see past these thing... If you don't have anything better to read, then YES I recommend it.
Franchezca i don't usually read (AT ALL) but when i found this book i could't put it down until like 2am the next morning, if you like romance, passion, choice, and determination i guess you'd love it as much as i do. you never know until you read it, just leave your mind wide open and create the story in your head.
Americaine21 It took my best friend over a week to convince me to read the book I saw the cover and blurb and was like nope don't want to read it
then I got "DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!"
admittedly we all do but just saying I read the book and it IS THE BEST BOOK EVER. I really thought it wouldn't be worth the read but my gosh it so is. I highly recommend it.
-It was actually one of the last books that was my kind of read
Skyler I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series! I picked this book up and had to order the whole series the next day! I read each book in 1 to 2 days. They were so great.
Eliza YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kristen It is really all up to you. If you like a good romance/YA novel, then this book is for you. In my opinion, I really enjoyed reading it.
Jenmarzi My friends recommended it to me as well, and I ended up LOVING it. I usually stay with the distopian style like The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games, but I fell in love with this book. It is not really my style, but it was an amazing read and the next two in the series just get better!
Celestia England Definitely I read it to prove my friend wrong and I LOVED it!!!
Brielle When I first took this book out from the library, I was having doubts because it was my first "young adult" book I ever read. Then, to my surprise, it turns out that I LOVE the book! I'm anxiously awaiting the fifth book now, and I created fanfics and trivia on this awesome series.
Olivia I felt the same way before I read the book. I thought it was going to be super tacky but when I read the preview I knew it would be wonderful. It is literally one of my favorite book series.
Zoha Ibrahim YYYEEESSS! Totally! I read this book and absolutely loved it and i'm sure you will too. Besides don't worry if you think it isn't your kind of book, its good to step out of your comfort zone.
Bronwyn K I had a hard time with America's attitude, but overall, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'd say it's worth your time. :)
Evelyn I expected to hate it, honestly. And for the first few chapters I did. But eventually I grew to appreciate the main character. If you have some time on your hands, it's a good waste :)
Maddie It seems like people love it or hate it. I do recommend it. No it's not some amazing literary work that will be remembered throughout the generations, but I enjoyed it. It may bug you at some parts, but it really is worth it. Or at least I think so.
Image for The Selection
by Kiera Cass (Goodreads Author)