Miriam Brantley

Is this book ok for teenagers to read? Is it fiction?

To answer questions about Gone with the Wind, please sign up.
Jaspero It is most definitely fiction, especially in regards to its portrayal of race relations in the South before, during, and after the civil war. I would not recommend it to teenagers unless they have a strong, historically accurate sense of the larger events occurring at the time. It's very entertaining as a story, but it's also propaganda.
Madeline Yes, older teens will like it, although some of the war talk and politics might not be so appealing to younger readers. Scarlett's plans for business dealings is another topic I would guess might not be as interesting either.

. The historical facts are very accurate even down to what the weather was like on the dates each battle was fought. The general storyline is so exciting and mesmerizing that I think a good reader will be swept up in a wonderful reading experience.

As to the slavery issue, much of Scarlett's relations to the slaves were based on Margaret Mitchell's own memories of the countless stories she heard from her older relatives about slaveholding. Not every slave owner was harsh and cruel which we are often led to believe. There were many kind owners who treated their slaves fairly and even like family.
It was a very emotional and passionate time in our history. It wasn't all black and white in anything. No pun intended.,
Stephanie Phillips I agree with previous commenters who say that a conversation about the racist aspects of the book needs to happen, especially with the casual nature of some of the very problematic statements and attitudes. While some slaveowners may have been kinder in their treatment of slaves, the bottom line is that they were property and the relationships between master and slave always had this at the root. It's also challenging that the attitude is very clear that the slaves who left the plantations when the Union army appeared in Georgia are very clearly viewed negatively, either as cowards or disloyal, while the slaves who remained are viewed favorably. Interesting conversations can definitely happen as well about the internalized racism of the slaves who stayed, as it's pretty clear that they also hold negative attitudes toward the slaves who left.

It's a complicated issue, but I think the last thing that should happen is that someone would take away from this book the dangerous attitude that some things weren't so bad for some slaves in the antebellum south. We should never lose sight of the fact that they were property and were owned by their masters, regardless of how "benevolent" the masters may be portrayed.
Elizabeth I read this when I was 15, and it instantly became my favorite book. I love this book so much, some might say I'm obsessed with it...
I don't really read teen books (and I'm still a teen), so I can't really compare it those. The reading level might be somewhat hard for not as advanced readers and it has what some may consider questionable content. There is some swearing, violence (it is about a war), suggestive scenes, and deals with racism and slavery.
Although it is fiction, it is based on historical events, like the Civil War and the reconstruction period afterwards.
Lauren I'm a teenager and I read it. It was....... Mind blowing.
Jenna Jones Yes, this book is teenager appropriate. There are some emotional topics mentioned- but nothing a teenager has not been exposed to. It is fiction based on facts. What I mean is it is a fictional story based on a real life historical setting.
Noina I've read it when I was 14 and absolutely loved it !! The main character is empowering, clever and a terrible person altogether, but somewhat loveable. It's an epic love story, an historical fiction that's anything but boring. Totally teenager appropriate !
Jennifer I'd say it's appropriate for teenagers on the older end of the teenager spectrum, but then again, I did attempt to read it several times throughout high school and never really had a problem with the book or the subject matter.

Personally, I'd love to teach it to high schoolers alongside To Kill a Mockingbird and Cry, the Beloved Country as three contrasting views of race and racism. Maybe as a wrap-up we could read Chinua Achebe? If I ever become a literature teacher, man . . .
Rick Kohler I first read this book when I was 11 years old.

It does have a lot of racisim in the book, but you should probably talk about that with your kid before they read the book or while they are in the process of reading it. I am now reading it again for the first time in 37 years. I'm 70 % through the book now and even in my late 40s the racism of the book is sometimes shocking, especially in the later part of the book after the war.

It would probably be categorized as "historical fiction" the story itself is fiction with fictional characters set in a real historical period.

Only the first 6 chapters (about 90 pages) are set before the war begins and most of those chapters cover the last few days of Scarlett's life as a 16 year old enjoying going to parties and barbecues before the war starts and changes everyone's lives. About 1/3 of the book takes place during the civil war and the rest set in the aftermath and rebuilding of the South.
Sascha Well, I read this book when I was 12 and loved it. Politics and all.
Stella I would love to see more teenagers digging into fat historical novels.
There is a BIG issue with this one - the appallingly racist mindset, being OK with owning slaves, being OK with the Klan. The book needs to be approached as a kind of window into "WTH were those southern white people thinking?"

Kate Dietz I read this book when I was 11 and enjoyed it immensely, so yes teenagers can read this, though some might not find it appealing, what with all the war and business talk.
Janice Gooden Fiction but I viewed it as historical representing the attitudes of two times: the time of writing and the time of the civil war from the perspective of white Georgians. It was completely shocking to read the racial attitudes and characterisations.
Emilio Me Yes, it is also for teenagers and youg adults and aduls...it is from far in a top of the most readed books in the world, it has almost 80 years since it was written! The movie grown her popularity so much...bu you know what the're are saying: the book was better! :-)
Madison Yes! As a teenager I personally think this was a GREAT book to read! It helped me understand the south during that point in time. As well as made me look differently on the aspect of life! Very good book! Would totally encourage any teenager to read it!
Angala Horner Is there a book by Jiffy Kate that a 17 year old could read?
Dmitry The book is great. I LOVE it. It makes you think about life, priorities and love. It makes you think. The novel is marvellous and mesmerising. It tells all the struggles of the war and poverty, problems of love, society and the struggles of the man, whose world was broken. It is deeply interesting too, because the description and the plot makes you feel the characters.
It is also historical fiction, but based on the real facts. Some people say that it is racist, but I strongly disagree with them. This book is above it. The writer just showed another perspective, and I tend to trust Margaret Mitchell. She showed what was life like for Southerners after defeat and I admire her for that, because what she told is truth. The book worth reading for almost everyone who is over 14 and has some brain and feelings. One of the best books I've ever read. Strongly recommend
Elizabeth Evans I have read this book several times, at different ages. I think my first reading was as a teenager. I thought it was a fascinating story, but didn't recognize that what I was reading was historical fiction. It was only as an adult that I could correlate what was happening in the book with the history that I learned in school and college. Is it appropriate for a teenager? Yes, definitely, (the sex is fairly obtuse and only hinted at - maybe except for the rape) but can you get a teenager to commit to reading such a long book?
Sheri S. I read this book in the 9th grade. At the time, it was the longest and most challenging book I had ever taken on. But, it forever left an indelible impression on me and will always be one of my all-time favorite books!
Tlanci For trivial fun, the author was a cousin of Doc Holiday -- in fact Miss Melanie is based upon a shared cousin he allegedly loved; but alas, she joined a convent. Yes, the use of (now) shocking language in the context of racism, and race relationships as they were understood by a woman of the authors background vs the reality of others in the era should be addressed.
Delhi Escorts yes.. any one can read this book
Nikhil I'm 17 years old, so I have first hand experience in answering this.

Of course, it is totally fine for older teenagers to read. However, I think before reading it, it is important for readers of any age to also have a good grasp of the true history regarding slavery, Reconstruction, and the Civil War, because much of the truth behind those events is muddled.

Also, the average person (even disregarding the teenage aspect) would probably find this book too long and difficult to read. I did not find it very difficult to read, but the misrepresentation of race relations, inaccuracy, and outright racism made me want to put down the book many times.

To sum it up, I think any book is okay for teenagers to read as long as they have appropriate context. Also, it is fiction. Historical fiction, with serious license taken as far as the reality of slavery.
Alicia Clark I am fifteen and I am currently reading this book. As far I can say that I love it! Of course there are some boring paragraphs about the war but it is part of the book.
I would recommend everyone to read it!
Ines As others have mentioned, it is definitely fiction. It would be fine for a teenager- I first read it at 11.
Talia I am reading this book currently, and I'm only 12 years old. But, I am a very advanced reader. It is historical fiction.
Glynis It is appropriate for teenagers, but some less mature teenagers might not like it as there is some suggestive language
Kat I read it when I was 16. I thought it was amazing, one of the best books I've ever read. And yeah it's fiction
GenjiHere I would say yes, because I read the shorten version when I was in 4th grade, and I absolutely loved it. I have a very high reading level though.
Tytti I read this when I was 12, so I wasn't even a teenager yet. It took me about three days. And yes, it's fiction.
Amariah Dixon Yeah. It is certainly fiction. Historical fiction to be specific. But yes, it is definitely okay for teenagers to read. I read it in 10th grade.
Image for Gone with the Wind