Goodreads asked David Estes:

What are you currently working on?

David Estes I have two new series in the works! You can find them both on Goodreads:

1) Slip (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...) is a YA Science Fiction Dystopian book about population control. In order to preserve the limited resources available to support the people, the government has begun controlling the population--one person must die before another can be born. My literary agent and I are actively seeking a publisher for this series, although if we're unsuccessful I will likely self-publish this book in July 2014. Thus far, I've completed the first book and two thirds of its sequel, although I plan to write the third and final book later in the year. Here's the synopsis:

Someone must die before another can be born...

As sea levels rise and livable landmasses shrink, the Reorganized United States of America has instituted population control measures to ensure there are sufficient resources and food to sustain the growing population. Birth authorization must be paid for and obtained prior to having a child. Someone must die before another can be born, keeping the country in a population neutral position at what experts consider to be the optimal population. The new laws are enforced by a ruthless government organization known as Pop Con, responsible for terminating any children resulting from unauthorized births, and any illegals who manage to survive past their second birthday, at which point they are designated a national security threat and given the name Slip.

But what if one child slipped through the cracks? What if someone knew all the loopholes and how to exploit them? Would it change anything? Would the delicate resource balance be thrown into a tailspin, threatening the lives of everyone?

And how far would the government go to find and terminate the Slip?

In a gripping story of a family torn apart by a single choice, Slip is a reminder of the sanctity of a single life and the value of the lives we so often take for granted.

2) Brew (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) is a YA post-apocalyptic fantasy book where witches take over the world. My literary agent and I are actively seeking a publisher for this series. Thus far, I've completed the first book and its sequel, although I plan to write the third and final book later in the year. Here's the synopsis:

"The Walking Dead for teens where the zombies are witches." --Katie Reed, agent at Andrea Hurst & Associates

Salem’s Revenge strikes without warning or mercy, ravaging the powerless human race under the forces of united gangs of witches, wizards, and warlocks. During the slaughter, Rhett Carter's foster parents and sister are killed, and his best friend and girlfriend are abducted by a gang of witches calling themselves the Necromancers, who deal in the dark magic of raising the dead. Rhett’s sword-wielding neighbor with a dark past saves Rhett from becoming another casualty of the massacre and teaches him the skills he needs to survive in this new world.

Rhett is broken, his normal high school life of book blogging and football playing shoved in a witch-apocalyptic blender. The only thing he has left is his burning desire for revenge. Armed with his new witch hunting skills and a loyal, magic powered dog named Hex, he sets out into the unknown with one mission: hunt and destroy those who took away everyone he ever loved.

But Rhett isn’t just a witch hunter; he has secrets of his own that he has yet to discover, secrets that his enemies will stop at nothing to keep him from.

And discovering the truth about himself is the human race’s only hope.