Goodreads asked Juliet Marillier:

Juliet Marillier The Caller (published June 2014 in Australia and coming out in September in the US) is the third and final novel in the Shadowfell series, a historical fantasy for YA with good crossover appeal for adult readers. The series concept (it's about a popular rebellion against a tyrannical regime) came from my observations of the so-called Arab Spring, where we saw several Middle Eastern countries experience uprisings of that kind. I wanted to explore what it would mean for an individual to make that decision to stand up and be counted.

The second major inspiration was Scottish folklore - my series contains a big cast of uncanny characters many of whom are based on that. I grew up in a very Scottish part of New Zealand and this series is partly a tribute to my Scottish forebears.