Ben
Ben asked Lev Grossman:

Hi Lev! Do you have a set routine for writing a book in terms of number of drafts, and time taken to do each draft? At what point does an editor/copy editor have input?

Lev Grossman I wouldn't call it a routine exactly. I do write all the chapters in order -- I don't skip around (if I don't feel like writing a particular chapter, it usually means there's something wrong with it). Every time I finish a chapter I tend to go back through the rest of the book and revise it a bit and make sure the new stuff tracks with the old stuff, which means that by the end of the first draft I've already rewritten the book a fair number of times.

But I'll do four or five more full passes before I show it to an editor. I don't like to bring them in too early, I prefer to wander in the wilderness for a year or two first.
Lev Grossman