What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Unicorn Magic
This topic is about Unicorn Magic
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's book, unicorn who slept for many years at a time [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 9 comments This is a book I remember my mother reading to me in the early 80s. I remember it was about a unicorn, I believe told first-person from the unicorn's perspective, who would sleep for a very long time (maybe centuries?) and would wake up only long enough to accomplish some good deed before it could go back to sleep. I wish I could remember more, but the storyline itself is totally gone. I want to say it had simple line drawing illustrations, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 139 comments Was this a children's book? It sounds similar to something I read to my daughter about a year ago. There was something about children travelling to the unicorn's land when the moon was blue. I can't remember much about the storyline myself, except I think it was in rhyming verse, and the phrase 'when the moon is blue' was used a bit. There were many other mythical and magical creatures in it too.

When the kids go back to school next week I will get my daughter to find it in her library again.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 9 comments Yes, it was a children's book, we'd gotten it out of the library. I don't remember there being mention of a blue moon or that it was in rhyme, but it's been so long, I wouldn't discount it.
Either way it sounds like a book I'd want to look into, thanks!

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 34 comments Speaking of unicorn books reminded me of this post, although I don't think any of those are what you're looking for. There are so many unicorn books out there!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 5: by Kacey Rai (new)

Kacey Rai | 10 comments It sounds also vaguely like a book i read called Spellhorn by Berlie Doherty, but the main character was a blind girl.

message 6: by M— (new)

M— | 362 comments I remember a tiny picture book about unicorns and sleep called Alexandra and the Vanishing Unicorns, but it was about a unicorn leaving the land of Make Believe for a single night to convince dreaming children to believe in unicorns again.

message 7: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 46 comments Could it be The Last Unicorn?

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna | 222 comments I'm not sure The Last Unicorn could be called a children's book.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Blizzard of the blue moon

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 139 comments In reply to my own post from above, I now know that I was mixing up two books. The 'when the moon is blue' was from a different book.
I was never able to find the unicorn book again, but I do believe it mentioned many other mythical creatures as well.
I'm not much help. Sorry.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 177 comments I think you need to locate it on Amazon:
Unicorn Magic by Ida Mae McIntyre. There isn't much of a book summary, but the customer review states that the unicorn was 2,000 years old and wakes. There is also a book cover. Published in 1974.

message 12: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 9 comments Deborah, I believe that may be it! I will have to track down a copy. ILL is a wonderful thing.

Thank you so much, that's been bothering me for years!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Laura, Please return and let us know for sure. Thanks all.

Laura, Do you want to move this to the possibly solved folder or wait to move it to solved when you know for sure?

message 14: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 9 comments I will indeed let you know for certain. I think it can be moved to the Possibly Solved folder, I'm pretty confident in this one.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Okay, I'll do that. When you come back, you or I can move it back to unsolved if needed or, if it's the book, it can be moved to its solved folder and added to our group bookshelves.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21683 comments Mod
Moving to Solved based on Laura's review: "Finally identified the title of this book (thanks to a group here on Goodreads) which I read when I was little. Now I need to find a copy."