Who's Your Author? discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - '09 - '10 > Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 546 (546 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Hi, I'm Laura and I love either urban fantasy or PNR...sometimes I go for a bit of Historical Romance or Chick-Lit, but normally I like characters that Bite!

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Hi, my name is Jessica! I love reading and anything books hence I'm frequently on this website!

I read all kinds of books but lately I've been reading alot of PNR and UF. I was originally turned on to the PNR genre by reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dream Hunter. Then I went searching on goodreads... and my addiction to reading has only gotten worse since then. ;)

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (kathylamellas) | 3 comments Hi, my name is Kathy! English is not my mother language, so I apologise for any mistake that I'll probably make.

I love to read!! I discovered PNR litaratura six months ago and I fell in love with it.
I read Laurell K Hamilton ( Anita Blake series) and Kelley Armstrong. It's always difficul for me to buy the books, because I have to import it.

I hope to make new friends here!

message 4: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Hi I am Dawn and I love to read. Ironically I am not a fan of romance novels unless it is PNR. I stared reading PNR around labor day last year after the first episode of trueblood came out. I did not really care for the show but the idea of vamps that are out of the closet and Sookie made me curious so I read that series moved on to Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison and I have been reading every since.
Like Jess my addiction grows with each now book :> and now I have people to share it with :>!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Hey Kathy, have you considered going to a website and downloading e-books? I believe there is one called ebooks.com or something like that.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) Hi, found and joined your group today. I love paranormal romance. Right now reading the anthology On the Prowl. I loved the Patricia Briggs story. I also am a fan of Lynn Viehl's Darkyn books, and like what I have read so far of Christine Feehan. I have a ton of great books waiting for me to read!

message 7: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) Hello, my name is Jessi. I love to read just about anything. I love PNR, suspence, romance, and many others.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (kathylamellas) | 3 comments Hey Laura,I dind't know this site!! Thank you!!

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hi. My name is Michelle, I've just started to read paranormal and urban fantasy a couple of months ago, and I'm so totatlly hooked. I love anything Patricia Briggs writes, I'm also a fan of Ilona Andrews. Sherylion Kenyon is also a fav.

message 10: by Rob (new)

Rob | 3 comments Kathy wrote: "Hi, my name is Kathy! English is not my mother language, so I apologise for any mistake that I'll probably make.

I love to read!! I discovered PNR litaratura six months ago and I fell in love ..."

Hi Kathy. There is site www.paperbackswap.com where you can join for free and exchange paperbacks with the other members. You only pay for the postage when you mail the book (inexpensive postage since these are small books) the other one is www.bookswap.com, where you can exchange hardcover, CDs and DVDs aside from paperback.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurabenson) My name is Laura too! thanks for inviting me, Laura! This should be cool!

message 12: by Chelle (new)

Chelle Hello I'm Chelle, or that's what I prefer and I love all books except over the top romances and I tend to get let down by any paranormal or supernatural books I really enjoy all of Kelley Armstrong's books I find her a fantastic author and any book I see and can get my hands on I simply devour I love her writting its both realistic, scary and addicting.

Does anyone else love Kelley Armstrong books or know of any writers with this kind of style? I liked Anne Rice but I prefer werewolves over vampires in stories.

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) Hi! I'm TDF, and I lean more toward urban fantasy but love a good paranormal romance, too. My favorite UF/PRN authors would have to be Richelle Mead, Patricia Briggs, and Jenna Black. :)

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Hi, My name is Liz. I've been reading anything and everything that I could get my hands on since 1st grade or so. I was first introduced UF and PNR by the L.J. Smith books and Laurell K. Hamilton books in 8th or 9th grade (long enough ago that it wasn't completely inappropriate). In the past few years I've rediscovered the genre and have loved it. My favorite authors in the genre would be Patrica Briggs, Charlaine Harris, Mark Del Franco and Jim Butcher.

I also have recently found, and have been loving paranormal mysteries such as the ones by Madelyn Alt and Victoria Laurie.

message 15: by Elli (new)

Elli | 1 comments Hi, my name is Jeanine and I discoverde Laura K. Hamilton three years ago and love all of her books! Right now I startet with the series of Jim Butcher and also some books of Charlaine Harris (though not my favourite). But I do also read historical books (Ken Follett, Marion Zimmer Bradley, ..) and thrillers/horror (Stephen King, Clive Barker, Andrew Vachss).

message 16: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (readingfever) | 1 comments Hello! My name is Penelope, and I love to read almost all genres. I have just begun to get into paranormal romance and mysteries, etc, and am LOVING it! I had a nice introduction by Patricia Briggs' "Moon Called" and have been exploring more into the genre since! I think I am in love... :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Well, as I never stopped in and introduced myself... I only got heavily into PNR/UF last year when I happened upon Twilight. I've been doing my best ever since to get caught up with all of the great books I've been missing over the years. I love PNR, but prefer UF for the most part. My favorite authors include J.R. Ward, Jeaniene Frost, Adrian Phoenix, Patricia Briggs and Sherrilyn Kenyon. I also love everything I've read by Kelley Armstrong, Ilona Andrews and Jennifer Rardin. And I've recently been sucked back into the YA shelves with Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy. I'm impatiently awaiting delivery of books 1 & 2. =)

message 18: by B (new)

B | 82 comments I realized that I've never stopped in to introduce myself either. :) Hi. :) My name is Bonnie, and I LOVE to read. Lots and lots. :) I like to read UF/PNR, as well as other fiction genres, as well as nonfiction (lots of environment/sustainability topics recently).

I've been reading PNR/UF for awhile now, but my author list was limited and it was a long time in between reads while waiting for new releases. I'm just recently getting into more authors (and really enjoying it).

Some favorites include Kelley Armstrong, Patricia Briggs, Jeaniene Frost, Charlaine Harris, Julie Kenner, Shanna Swendson, and Neil Gaiman.

I appreciate the suggestions I've received from people in this group, and I've been enjoying our discussions. :)

message 19: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Hey - I'm Shanon. I love to read PNR & Urban Fantasy (but lean more to the Urban Fantasy side). So far my favorite series are The Sookie Sackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris & a new favorite is the Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs.

Actually, to be honest with myself, my favorite book is usually whichever book I just finished! It's ever changing & ever growing (just like my To-Read pile).

I noticed Book #2 of the Mercy Thompson series is the group read for March & I'm excited to discuss it. I was planning on reading it next but I might have to wait until March now...

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 106 comments My name is Angela and I love reading. I have really gotten into paranormal romance in the past 6 months. (Thanks to Twilight....) anyways, I've always liked horror novels and scarier stuff. Once in awhile I will read something out of my comfort zone though.

I have recently fell in love with Charlaine Harris' books! Kelley Armstrong too. I am looking forward to learning about other authors!

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (darthmako) Hi my name is Jessica and I've always been an avid reader. I first discovered this genre when Bitten by Kelley Armstrong caught my eye at Chapters a couple years ago. Since then I've read all of her books set in the otherworld universe.

This group seems to be just what I needed because I've been looking for some other authors in this genre.

I like pretty much every supernatural being but I would have to say werewolves are by far my favorite

message 22: by Bekah (new)

Bekah Denton (bekah_) | 7 comments Heya Im Bekah. And ive only really got into reading at the end of last year !! Books are now my total obsession and im driving my friends crazy by talking about them not stop. :S

I first got into reading when i first read twilight. lol. So now im totally guilty of being a PNR fan.

Two really good series that i have read are the blood ties series (Jennifer Armstrout) and the Cassandra Parmer series (Karen Chance)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I'm Moss, and I'm a PNR junkie. My last fix was at 8.30 this morning when I re-read Visions of Heat and my next one is going to be in ten minutes when I start Dark Magic. I'm expecting a big shipment of reallly good stuff any day now from a realllly good guy (read: the library. 20 books on reserve and counting). But I wouldn't want anyone to think I've got problems because I'm fine! I can quit any time I want to! Really.

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) Hello, my name is Susan (known at severl places in town as Ada's Mom -- Ada's my dog :).

I've been reading PNR since before it was a "genre". Anyone ever read Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books? Well, I started reading them when the first short story appeared in MZBFM.

I started reading fantasy at age 6, when I read the Hobbit for the first time. Added horror at age 10 when I read Dean Koontz' Phantoms. I also read SciFi, some romance (I require plot, originality, historical accuracy and a well-written script), comics books (started that with ElfQuest) and certain mysteries. When I find a book that combines all those things, I'm happy.

Susan

message 25: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Hi I'm Karen, it was the Twilight series that has got me into a love for the paranormal and vampire/werewolf books.
I'm currently reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, I'm up to book 2 and I have also got the first 4 of the Women of the otherworld series on my book shelf to read and also the first 4 of the Anita Blake series and the first 6 of the Riley Jenson series, that should keep me going for awhile, lol, I have heaps of books on my TBR list, I would also like to try some Patricia Briggs books, they sound great.
So many books, so little time.

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group everyone!! Glad to have everyone here. Jump in any threads, if you haven't done so already, start up new discussions etc... :)

Susan - I love Dean Koontz!! Odd Thomas is one of my favorite series. I think there's a new one coming out soon. woo hoo.

Karen - You just named some of my favorite series. Unfortunately, or maybe not unfortunately, but you will find tons more authors to read from this group. My TBR list keeps growing and growing, especially when I get such good recommendations from people in goodreads.

message 27: by Kaz. (last edited Mar 14, 2009 08:20PM) (new)

Kaz. I just bought "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz on Friday from my local second hand book shop, I'm looking forward to reading it, I have not read any of Dean Koontz yet but I also have Stranger, The Bad Place & The Taking to read that I have bought also.
And yes Jess I have found tons and tons of great sounding authors on this group and my other groups too, I have the reading bug bad.

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) Laura wrote: "Hi, I'm Laura and I love either urban fantasy or PNR...sometimes I go for a bit of Historical Romance or Chick-Lit, but normally I like characters that Bite!"

Have you ever read Jennifer Roberson's Lady of the Glen?

Jessica wrote: "Hi my name is Jessica and I've always been an avid reader. I first discovered this genre when Bitten by Kelley Armstrong caught my eye at Chapters a couple years ago. Since then I've read all of he..."

Ever read Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books & stories?

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) Susan - I love Dean Koontz!! Odd Thomas is one..."

My 3 fav Koontz books are Watchers (I *want* Einstein!), Lightning and Strangers...

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) Karen wrote: "I just bought "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz on Friday from my local second hand book shop, I'm looking forward to reading it, I have not read any of Dean Koontz yet but I also have Stranger, The Bad ..."

Odd Thomas is a great Koontz book, but I loved Watchers, Strangers and Lightning just a bit more...

message 31: by Allison (new)

Allison (alitoni) | 46 comments Hello my name is Allison and I am a book junky. My absolute favorite reads are fantasy (urban, dark, high, etc), PNR, and horror. I *just* found this site a day or two ago and am so glad I did! Simply a wealth of information to be had!

message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group Allison! Goodreads is such an awesome place and I'm so glad my friend introduced it to me. I've found so many great authors and genres to read. I didn't even know about PNR and UF (gasp) until I joined this website!!

message 33: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Hi I'm Adrienne I too"just"found this site whilst looking for reviews for The Dream Hunter:: I have recently re-kindled my love of reading starting with the Twilight series at xmas, followed by all the Sookie Stackhouse stories:: then i found the GR site and found out about the Dark Hunter Series(which I love) that led me to Jr Ward and Adrian Phoenix.

message 34: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Hi Adrienne I read the Twilight series about 6 months ago and loved it, I'm now reading the Sookie Stackhouse series and I'm up to number 3, I like to mix my books though so I'll be reading Cross Country by James Patterson next and then I'll be starting on the Riley Jenson series by Keri Arthur.
I have found about so many other Authors and books here on Goodreads and I can't wait to read them all, J.R.Ward is on my TBR list as well, her books sound very good.
I'm looking forward to discussing these reads with you.
Kaz.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) My boss just read the Twilight series.

Scary!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi. I'm Lori. I've been an obsessed reader since childhood, like the kid getting in trouble for hiding books behind my text books in class. I read a wide variety of books, but am pretty much obsessed with vamps right now, although I like all the other paranormal creatures too. I lean more towards PNR than UF, but like I said I like a wide range of books. I am reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood series right now. I also love the Sookie Stackhouse series. I recently read a little bit of paranormal erotica by Angela Cameron, which was also good. And, I have a huge tbr pile and expect to expand it even more since joining this group.

message 37: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group Lori!

message 38: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Hi Lori, I think a lot of us have the Vampire/paranormal bug at the moment, lol, I sure have.
Kaz

message 39: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 60 comments Hi I'm Dawn I love to read mostly paranormal romance. My favorites involves shifters. I'm trying to find new authors and series to read.

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group Dawn. In April our BOM is Stray which is about shifters. Join in on the discussions if you want :)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello,

My name is Barbara. I joined Goodreads a few months ago and just now working my way around. :) I have always loved to read. My favorite type of books are paranormal romance. I'll read anything, but that is my favorite. I use to like paranormal or anything with vampires in Jr High/High school and in the last year or so found out about paranormal romance. I have a huge list of books and authors I want to read. Glad to be a part of the group. :)

message 42: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group Barbara! I'm sure you will find tons of new authors to read in the PNR genre.

message 43: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda | 31 comments Hi, My name is Clorinda. I am an avid reader. I love PNR. I have been addicted for at least the last 4 years. I think shifters/werewolfs are my favorite but I love the whole genre. I'm always up for a new series.

message 44: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Welcome Clorinda, I'm sure you will find out about some new series here as there is such a wealth of information, my "to be read" list is out of control, lol.

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments Hi, my name is Anna and I'm currently into paranormal and urban fantasy books, especially those by Patricia Briggs, Laurell K. Hamilton, Karen Chance, Charlaine Harris, Carrie Vaughn, and Casey Daniels.

message 46: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group everyone! Hope you enjoy it here. :)

message 47: by Becky (new)

Becky (etherealzaftigyahoocom) | 1 comments My name is Becky and Laurell K.started my PNR addiction with the Anita Blake series & then the Meredith Gentry series. Having finished those I moved on to Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress & at the suggestion of a customer (I manage a bookstore) started & flew through the Charlaine Harris Southern Vamp books. I've read one of the Immortals series. Anyway, I'm always looking for the next PNR book. I take all suggestions.

message 48: by Cat (new)

Cat (shynet5025) Hi My name is catherine and charlaine harris started my PNR addicition then I went on to Laurell K. which I am so addicited to. I then when on to sherrilyn kenyon, gena showalter and Kerrelyn Sparks.

message 49: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments OO such excellent authors! Welcome to the group Catherine, I hope you find more authors to feed your addiction lol.

message 50: by K (new)

K | 51 comments Hi All,
My name is Kendra, I got into UF/PNR through the Sookie Stackhouse books followed by Twilight and then the Mercy Thompson books. Then I found Goodreads and I am now hopelessly addicted to the genre. I love finding new series and I welcome any recommendations or suggestions.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.