Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Can Leslie read 50 in 2009?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 1. Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life by the Queen of Jordan Interesting memoir on the life of the 4th wife of King Hussien of Jordan. She was born and raised in America and became Jordan's Queen at 27 (?).

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 2. Inkheart I was trying to read the book before the movie came out. A book lover's book!

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 3. Peony in Love I almost gave up on this....I might have liked it better in a different time or place. I currently have no patience for lovesick girls.... lovesickness never caused me to give up eating. I guess I've never had that kind of love (2 kids and 22 years of marriage--) or I just love food!

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 4. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo This was better than what I expected!

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 5. Mr. Darcy's Daughter The Pemberley Chronicles Book 5 Not so exciting- I expected too much, I fear!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 6. The Book of Lost Things Not a great book for me...man, I'd better get myself reading books that are interesting to me or I'll never read 50 this year! I need to find one of those "can't put it down, read until 2 in the morning" books!

message 7: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Leslie wrote: "2. Inkheart I was trying to read the book before the movie came out. A..."

I totally agree it is a booklovers good!

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 9. The Nineteenth Wife...ugh! Get me away from these Mormon/Polygamous/marry your 14yearold daughter to a 50 year old books! I can't continue to read these! I may as well just get Flowers in the Attic out!

message 10: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Leslie wrote: "9. The Nineteenth Wife...ugh! Get me away from these Mormon/Polygamous/marry your 14yearold daughter to a 50 year old books! I can't continue to read these! I may as well just get Flowers in the ..."

But Flowers in the Attic is such a creeper classic! Read something fun! Remember Me? is super cute!

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments Thanks! I'll put it on my list!!

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 10. The Gnostic Mystery

11. The Reader --got to see the movie now! Discussed this at book club! I was amazed that no one (else) felt negatively about his being only 15. I have strong opinions about the book--it is good at advocating for literacy!

message 13: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments I think Leslie might just read 50 in '09! Congrats on your first ten!

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments Mary Todd wrote: "I think Leslie might just read 50 in '09! Congrats on your first ten!"

Thanks for taking the time to be encouraging!!! That's very kind of you!

message 15: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments You are very welcome, it's fun.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 12. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel I wish I'd skipped this. Maybe it's me, but it just didn't live up to the great reviews I'd read!

message 17: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T Leslie wrote: "12. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel I wish I'd skipped..."

Totally agree!

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 13. Pride & Prejudice --Re-read the book for an on-line book/knitting group. I got 5 pairs of socks knit and read the book. I should try to get it on tape---maybe for Mansfield Park !

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 14. Knit Two; Kind of boring and a little contrived! Oh well....better get reading or I won't make it to 50!

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 733 comments Wendy wrote: "Leslie wrote: "12. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel I wish I'd skipped..."

Totally agree!

I enjoyed the read, generally . . . but then end made me sooooooooooo angry! All that anticipation and detail for such a shallow conclusion!!

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments Kate wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Leslie wrote: "12. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel I wish I'd skipped..."

Totally agree!

I enjoyed the read, generally . . . but then end made me sooooooooo..."

That's right on...I am willing to dump a book that I am not able to get into--It did keep my interest up enough to read the whole thing! I guess that's the thing--the ending let me down.

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 15. Inkspell Loved the book! I wish I had more time to read....I'd like to read the next one in the series!!!

message 23: by Leslie (last edited Jun 11, 2009 03:22PM) (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 16. The Knitting Circle Don't read this book if you have small children, are prone to depression, have a friend with a life threatening illness etc. I'm kind of surprised because every one in the knitting circle has a totally extreme life. This book had the potential to be extremely depressing - with a little optimism from knitting. If I'd read it in the winter, I might have left being depressed; however, school's out, I'm on summer break so nothing could depress me--least of all, a book!

I'd better get reading on this summer break or I won't make 50!!

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 17. Since last spring/summer was the summer of Twilight, I decided to read Interview with the Vampire since I hadn't ever read it. It took me way too long...I shouldn't have invested so much time in it, but I didn't just shut it and quit.

message 25: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (Wendyblue1) | 11 comments Leslie I have all of the Anne Rice books in my tbr pile. I haven't read any of them yet and want to start this summer with Interview With The Vampire. What did you think of it?

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments Wendy wrote: "Leslie I have all of the Anne Rice books in my tbr pile. I haven't read any of them yet and want to start this summer with Interview With The Vampire. What did you think of it?"

I guess, having read the Twilight series last spring and summer, I expected a 'fast' read. The book isn't any more difficult to follow, just longer and probably more involved. It seemed like you could get through any of the Twilights in a sitting or two, not so with Interview. There were parts I loved and parts I didn't get (were they gay, was there a real physical relationship between Claudia and Louis?). I guess, having been written in the 70's explains some of the nuances. I guess I just wish I had been able to get through it faster (I'm off for the summer and can usually get lots of books read--)
Good luck! It was interesting! I'm off to read the Sookie books--not that I'm into vampire stuff at all! It's weird!

message 27: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (Wendyblue1) | 11 comments I have all of the Twilight series and have only read the first one. I thought I would read the 2nd one before the movie comes out.
Thanks for your comments.

message 28: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (Wendyblue1) | 11 comments Actually I have been told about a very good series by P.C. Cast called The House of Night series. Similar to Twilight. The first book of the series is called "Marked".

message 29: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 18, Stargirl Interesting;

message 30: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Stargirl was interesting. I liked it, and I especially liked that it was YA written from a male's point of view. However, I tried to read the second one and couldn't get through it.

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments Aprile wrote: "Stargirl was interesting. I liked it, and I especially liked that it was YA written from a male's point of view. However, I tried to read the second one and couldn't get through it."

19. Love Stargirl Hmmm...wish I'd read your response before I was trapped at Kennewick High School at my son's camp. I had only a book and my knitting--but one of the knitting needles fell out at home, so I couldn't knit. I only had the book; I didn't want to go (all the way) home, nothing was open but coffee shops, so I sat there and read!

message 32: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Sorry!!! I'll try and comment sooner next time! LOL

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments Aprile wrote: "Sorry!!! I'll try and comment sooner next time! LOL"

Too funny! At least I could say "Whew! I'm not alone!" Oh, that's the whole point of Stargirl--that we all don't have to be alike and conform. I at least like to have some validation that some one else had at least close to the same thoughts on the book that I had!

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 20. The Pilot's Wife--wish it had more of the story about the pilot and less of the wife dodging reporters and investigators.

message 35: by Leslie (last edited Jul 30, 2009 07:17AM) (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 21. Olive Kitteridge Read for book club--ugh!

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 22. Two for the Dough Stephanie Plum 2 O.K. Not really my type of book--I've got to get some really good books so I make my 50 this year! Get on it sister! (I saw the girl who kicked hornets on the shelf above--may have to get that!!!

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 23. The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax ? I better get reading or I'm not making 50 this year~

message 39: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 25. the house on mango street I read this because it's been challenged at my daughter's high school. Seriously.....I've got to look into what the objections were, because I'm kind of at a loss?

I am far behind...because I'm re-reading Jane Austen's books for a Jane Austen knitting group....it's slowing me down, but oh well!!!

message 40: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 26. No Talking I think the only way I'm going to get through 50 this year is to count the ones I read with my son.

27. Shanghai Girls Interesting....

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 28. lawn boy cute; read it with my son; If I was teaching 4th or 5th graders, I'd use this book and integrate all kinds of math and economics!

29. club dead this book took me seriously a year to finish! It was o.k. I just kept misplacing it!

message 42: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 30. the hour I first believed Wow! Why did I pick the book with over 700 pages when I'm sooooo far beind? Who knows? This was enough information for three or four books....very odd, very strange, soo much happened to this one person, Caelym Quick!

message 43: by Leslie (new)

message 44: by Leslie (last edited Nov 11, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 32. Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs Obviously, I'm falling into the school book report pattern--I'd already invested so much time reading this, I needed to finish in order to count it on my list. It was o.k. but not great. I now resent the time spent reading it. Why can't I dump a book when it's boring to me???

message 45: by Carol (last edited Nov 11, 2009 06:35AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Leslie, I'm confused...the link brought me to a review of 'Comfort Me With Apples...' by Ruth Reichl, is that the book you were reviewing here? If so, it is somewhat of a biography, which I guess doesn't have to be boring, but definitely doesn't really have a plot other than the unfolding of someone's life. I guess I would have to read the book to understand what you meant by 'boring'. (Also, it helps to know the authors in your posts as well as the titles of the books, as I might want to actually go to the library and look up something that looks interesting sometime...)

message 46: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments Carol wrote: "Leslie, I'm confused...the link brought me to a review of 'Comfort Me With Apples...' by Ruth Reichl, is that the book you were reviewing here? If so, it is somewhat of a biography, which I guess ..."

O.K. It's fixed now.... I mentioned that I was 'bored' with the book at coffee with friends, they had all really liked the book. Thought the main character was a combo of Sandra Lee and Ina Garten from Food Network! Funny!

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments 33. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson Should be read by all 13-16 year old girls. Of course, if it's a forced read, they would hate it.

message 48: by Carol (last edited Nov 12, 2009 08:27AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Leslie, re your comment on 'Speak', after reading the synopsis in the link you provided (and by the way, I'd like to know how one goes about doing that), I'm wondering what the 'real reason' is that the central character finds it hard to speak...which whets my appetite to read the book and find out about more...I'm wondering if it does have anything to do with class scapegoating...and so to the connection of why you think this book should be required reading for 13 to 16 year olds...I take it the book would be in the YA section of library? And thanks for including the author's name...

message 49: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette (antiem80) Leslie wrote: "33. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson Should be read by all 13-16 year old girls. Of course, if it's a forced read, they would hate it. "

An amazing book and yes I agree it should be required reading... I used to work in a B&N in the Children's/Teen section and saw it appear on a few reading lists; however, it was those "choose 3 out of 5" kinds of lists and many of the parents would choose other books from the list and not that one. They were afraid.

message 50: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette (antiem80) Leslie wrote: "33. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson Should be read by all 13-16 year old girls. Of course, if it's a forced read, they would hate it. "

Have you ever read Go Ask Alice?

« previous 1