Start by marking “Cranford” as Want to Read:
Cranford

Read Book* *Different edition

Cranford

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  32,474 ratings  ·  1,962 reviews
'It is very pleasant dining with a bachelor...I only hope it is not improper; so many pleasant things are!'

A portrait of the residents of an English country town in the mid nineteenth century, Cranford relates the adventures of Miss Matty and Miss Deborah, two middle-aged spinster sisters striving to live with dignity in reduced circumstances. Through a series of vignettes
Published June 30th 2005 by Penguin Classics (first published 1853)

To ask other readers questions about Cranford, please sign up.
Irene Yes, its amazing! Really classy and clever. …moreYes, it´s amazing! Really classy and clever. (less)

Steven Godin
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written as a series of vignettes about living in a small English town, Elizabeth Gaskell isn't bothered about any plot with Cranford (which was originally edited by Charles Dickens), she simply focuses on a small group of ladies and their adventures (or lack of), as they meander, yawn, and gossip their way through mid 19th century life. While it may not be the sort of book to keep you up half the night with clammy hands, it's pleasant and good old-fashioned nature is where it's power lies, which ...more
Sue
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"the humor is so sly. at times it's difficult to believe that this was written over 150 years ago. I guess that gentle social humor has always been with us." --- this was one of my status updates while reading Cranford, my first experience reading Elizabeth Gaskell.

As I finished reading, I felt the same way: pleased with the experience, surprised at the wit and wisdom written so well so many years ago. But then I ask myself...Why am I surprised? There are always intelligent women and always int
Piyangie
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brit-lit
Cranford is quite an unusual book. Having read North and South and Wives and Daughters , this novel (if you can call it one) took me by surprise. To begin with, it has no proper plot or structure. It is rather a written collection of lives, customs and social values of people of a fictitious town called "Cranford" which is modelled after the small Cheshire town of Knutsford.

At first, I thought it is a collection of short stories. But as I read on I found connectivity between the chapters so
Cheryl
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy nineteenth-century portraits
Shelves: vintage, orchids
I'll admit I'm no procurer of Victorian liteary novels, but I've always wanted to dabble in the works of Elizabeth Gaskell, the woman who had the honor of writing The Life of Charlotte Brontë. Cranford is said to be slightly humorous, with a unique take on the lives of women during that era. A bit humorous, partly due to the preposterousness of the attitudes surrounding small town etiquette, yes, but I wouldn't call it humorous in the general sense. And yet these characters are electrifying and ...more
Vanessa
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY, an Elizabeth Gaskell book that I enjoyed!

I honestly didn't think I would enjoy this book, and was almost regretting putting it on my Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon TBR. And whaddya know, I finished it!

Cranford follows a group of women living in the small fictional town of, you guessed it, Cranford. The women live in "genteel poverty" and have very old-fashioned mindsets about life and social niceties and norms. The book is told from the perspective of Mary Smith (or Elizabeth Gaskell), and
Helene Jeppesen
This is a book about the village of Cranford which mainly women inhabit; women who live according to customs and norms and who are quite fond of gossip. If you think this sounds good then this might be a book for you, but I personally got very tired of it very quickly.
Each chapter follows a new anecdote, and while some of them were quite entertaining, most of them were dull and quite shallow, in my eyes. I'm sure the ladies of those days thought them of the utmost importance, but I couldn't see
María
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leidos-en-2018
4 de 5 estrellas ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (ma ha encantado)
Una novela muy cortita que reúne varios capítulos a modo de fascículo sobre la vida y costumbres de Cranford.
Cranford es un pueblo habitado mayoritariamente por mujeres, ellas son las que gobiernan y las que manejan los entresijos.
Es una novela muy Dulce, muy costumbrista pero cargada de crítica social, de crítica hacia la mujer de la época, hacia el decoro social y las relaciones que se basan en la posición y la clase social.
Es la primera novela que leo
Sara
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, rounded down.

Want to take a trip to a small English town in the mid 1800s, meet the people and see what everyday life was like for the female population? Open Cranford and travel in time. It is a sweet and simple book, comprised of what seems more like vignettes than an actual plot line. Nothing exciting happens, life just unfolds, and yet you feel attached to these women, admiring the grace with which they handle their sometimes difficult world, the way they navigate a system that pi
Jessica
Delightful! I went into this totally blind, knowing only that it's a respected classic by the author of NORTH AND SOUTH. I had no idea what to expect, but I certainly wasn't expecting this!

CRANFORD is all about the village of Cranford, which is mostly inhabited by shabby genteel spinsters and widows. The whole book is a serious of humorous vignettes about life there as related by an outsider, Mary Smith, who frequently goes to stay with her elderly friend Miss Matty. Through the eyes of the nar
Kim
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

What a gorgeous book. After years of avoiding Victorian literature, in the past twelve months I've fallen in love with Gaskell's writing. This is a short work: more a series of episodes than a linear narrative. It centres on the lives of a group of women who dominate society in the small town of Cranford. They are united by being single - widows and spinsters - and by the fact that live in genteel poverty.

Cranford is at times laugh-out-loud funny, at times deeply moving. Within five minutes of
Marquise
This little novel about small-town life in 19th century England deals with a group of ladies in Cranford and their daily travails, is easy to read and filled with amusing anecdotes.

The story flies by too quickly and ends too soon, however, leaving a taste of insubstantiality and emptiness, like when you finish eating candy floss (cotton candy, for the Americans out there). Because this book doesn't really tell a story in the traditional sense, with a start, a middle and an end, and there's no t
Inder
May 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ah, so delightful! I loved this. It's really a series of vignettes, and, if there is a plot at all, it doesn't show up until halfway through. But it's so funny! And sad! And it's all about women! I laughed aloud a few times, and almost cried a few other times.

Sigh. I'm such a sucker for this stuff. But I loved it. Despite its disjunctive narrative, I read the whole book in less than three days. But I'm strange that way.

For Happy (I would alert readers to spoilers, but there actually isn't much
Katie Lumsden
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
I adore this one. A brilliant, fascinating book. It's not necessarily Gaskell's best written but it's written so lovingly, with such wonderful characters and such a realisation and enjoyable presentation of a small town and the community of women within it, that I can't help but love it. It's also hilarious!
(I'd also highly recommend the Penguin Classics edition - it has brilliant appendixes and notes at the back!)
Laurel Hicks
Great fun! Mrs. Gaskell's gentle yet probing comedy of manners is a book worthy of many readings. There's a lot of dressing up in this book--wearing the perfect hat for the occasion, buying the latest material, dressing a cow in flannel, Peter's ill-received jokes. No clear plot, but then I don't usually read for the plots. The character studies here are priceless.
Loretta
Meh. Having never read Elizabeth Gaskell before, I feel that perhaps this was the wrong book to start with. It seemed like a never ending story about nothing in particular. No real plot and the characters were marginal and annoying.
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
Delightful! This is going on my favorites shelf.
Lois Bujold
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this up due to a review by Jo Walton on Tor.com. She described it as something like a mid-19th Century English Lake Wobegone, which gives a tolerably accurate sense of the discursive tone. Charming and kindly, with only a tenuous thread of anything one might call a plot, but nonetheless absorbing. I quite liked it. It is available as a free e-edition on Amazon Kindle.

The first-person voice makes it very naturally a "told" story, untouched by the later cinematic techniques that infiltrat
Siria
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Beautifully observed and gently funny, Cranford is less a novel than it is a series of vignettes, drawn from the lives of a small group of genteelly impoverished older women in a small town in mid-nineteenth century England. Gaskell is quite gentle with her characters, I think perhaps because she was aware of how limited a life she was creating for them—with all the social restrictions placed on unmarried women, with just enough social status to be unable to work to support themselves, but with ...more
Renee M
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into the rhythm of this book, after having been so swept away by North and South. This is quite different, but the two together showcase the bright talent that was Elizabeth Gaskell. Another reviewer has described the novel as adorable, and I heartily agree. It was so lovely to shake off the dust of my day for a few stolen moments in Cranford.
Lemony
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prépare-toi une bonne tasse de thé ( pas du thé vert), mets-y un peu de crème et juste ce que tu aimes de sucre. Installe-toi dans ton endroit préféré, et s'il pleut comme aujourd'hui c'est encore mieux. Prends un plaid au cas où.
Tu vois? On est à Cranford. Petite ville ville, pas très loin de Londres; avec ses règles, ses coutumes et surtout son étiquette et sa bienséance. Et les femmes de la ville y tiennent.
Tu vas te retrouver dans une petite boule a neige ou le temps s'est presque arrêté;
Dawnie
I love Gaskell's writing. And this book was no exception, even though i personally just never love short story collections, books that are made up of letters or anything that is not written in novel format from start to finish.

Some of those stories about this quaint little village of Cranford were nice, some were also really boring -as it always happens with me and this type of book.

I do think its a really nice classic if you want a every day life kind of view into the specific time, into a li
Bookish Ally
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I began this reading I was a bit confused by the multitude of characters that were being introduced, until I (slowly) began to know them.

That’s it. There are no big happenings that occur in Cranford, except the things that still happen today because of the very nature of life.

The truth is, many people might find Cranford boring, the book as well as the make believe town it casts its warm light on. This is not one of those “sensation novels” of the day - or even a romance. It is a picture
K.
Let me start by saying that I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I hadn't seen and loved the BBC's adaptation of Cranford like 10 years ago. Because this book is effectively a series of individual vignettes all set in the same village. The adaptation, in contrast, overlaps and spreads the vignettes out over the course of its episodes, allowing a more coherent storyline to emerge.

So.

There's nothing WRONG with the vignettes. But you don't find out the narrator's name until about two t
Lesle
Cranford is a small English village inhabited mostly by ladies. Few gentlemen take up residence.
Much ado about the proper ways to conduct life. There are few men who the women seem to enjoy. There is loss, death, marriage and childbirth like any other village. There is social standings and one who is a go to person for knowledge of what is correct, that they depend on. Cranford society changes and comes full circle in the end.

I wish I had found it more interesting than I did. At times had a hard
Kerri Duff
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I ended up loving this book so much! You follow a group of (older) women, mainly unmarried or widowed, in the small 'rural backwater of Cranford', and it's alot of talking, gossiping and dipping in and out of lives. It was a very funny book, my favourite line being, "My father was a man, and I know the sex pretty well." (It is probably much funnier in context, but I've had it popping into my head constantly over the day). Amongst all their obsession with each others lives are some very poignant ...more
Bob
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I ended up liking this much better than I thought I would. At first I was lost as to how all the characters fit together. It felt like walking into a room full of people not knowing anyone. In addition to not knowing anyone in the room nobody acknowledges my presence. I'm in the middle of a conversation not knowing anything about the lives of people around me. I found it daunting getting up to speed on the life and times of the people of Cranford. I even considered abandoning it. I am glad I was ...more
Pink
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this, it was sweet and humorous and quick to listen to. Although, I can't remember much that happened. There was the scene with the cat, some stuff about hats and fashions, some downfalls and some reunions. A snapshot of small town life in 19th century England, not a lot has changed really.
Tracey
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favourite Gaskell novel but still good and made me smile.
Amanda
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell is a novel about steadfastly unconventional women living in a mid-19th century village. Gaskell’s stories are told in vignette form without any A-Z plotline. These are a series of anecdotes similar to news and gossip one would relate to one’s best friends in a weekly catch-up session.

This novel is told through the outsider’s viewpoint of Mary Smith, a thirtyish singleton who is a friend of the Jenkyns’s family. This novel centers around the widows and spinsters of
Katherine Lika
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, Cranford may seem superficially quaint in it's manner, as it relates the story of a small country town made up of mostly middle-aged women. But to read it only for it's quaintness is to do yourself a disservice, for there is more strength to this novel than just that.

The first thing I noticed while reading was the surprisingly modern humor to be picked up on. From forcing laxatives on a fine lace eating cat, to dolling over a cow loved as a daughter (my examples may all be animal rela
  • Barchester Towers (Chronicles of Barsetshire #2)
  • Miss Marjoribanks (Chronicles of Carlingford, #5)
  • Lark Rise to Candleford
  • Castle Rackrent
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Dombey and Son
  • The Odd Women
  • No Name
  • Adam Bede
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more
“I'll not listen to reason... reason always means what someone else has got to say.” 192 likes
“Out of the way! We are in the throes of an exceptional emergency! This is no occassion for sport- there is lace at stake!" (Ms. Pole)” 87 likes