This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Things you haven't read, to your unending shame

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Comic books are one of only two art forms indigenous to the US (jazz is the other). Reading comics is patriotic!

Oh, wait. Never mind.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I never feel ashamed about not having read something. I do feel a sense of urgency, however, to read these:

The Bell Jar
Watership Down
Paradise Lost
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
One Hundred Years of Solitude
War and Peace

More Roth
More Nabokov
More Kafka

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Sarah, didn't you say you haven't read Slaughterhouse Five? If so, tsk tsk.

I've never read anything by James Joyce, a fact which causes me nightly to cry myself to sleep.

message 4: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I’ve read Marquez. I’ve read whatshisface too – you know.........Borges. I can sum up my feeling on them in precisely one word:

mah.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 09, 2009 09:24AM) (new)

Dave, I haven't read SO MANY books. How do I even begin a complete list? That's why I don't feel shame about it. I AM reading--there are too many books in the world.

This is why I don't keep reading books I don't like. Alfonso keeps reading "John's Wife" even though he hates it just because Karen suggested he read it. I don't have patience for that.

KD, I'm speaking of Philip--Don't worry!

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Quit your job and devote all your time to reading.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Sarah, I have a slight sense of urgency about The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
I loved Watership Down. Cute little bunnies (some psycho, some not)!!! Sometimes, when I see a bunny out in the neighborhood, I call him Fiver.

I own Slaughterhouse Five but have never read it. That's pretty shameful.

I think I'm more ashamed of spending so much time online instead of reading. I have only read one book so far this year and it only took me two days. I go through phases.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Of course!!!!!!!! I've read plenty of his other stuff. Like:

_________

and

__________________ .

:(
Ok, I've never read any Vonnegut.

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Slaughterhouse Five isn't my personal favorite Vonnegut (that would be Breakfast of Champions) but it's definitely essential reading.

message 10: by Dave (last edited Jan 09, 2009 10:31AM) (new)

Dave Russell Do you mean the book or the audio version specifically? Because I can't listen to audiobooks. I don't have the auditory attention span.

Even when I'm talking to someone.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I read "Breakfast of Champions." I liked it, but it's not a favorite.

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy i kind of hate that i no longer have the attention span to read anything that isn't at least a little bit violent and/or kinda sexy. i just seem to have no patience for the "classics" anymore, although slaughterhouse five does have a suitably gory title that intrigues me.

maybe i'll go through another voracious reader phase soon though, and i can make up for being one of those people who only read stuff about zombies or by stephen king. although i have been meaning to read the dark tower series...

Servius  Heiner "beyond the gap" "breath of god" two part series fast good reads with a little... I dunno but they are good.

message 14: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell But it does have a drawing of breasts.

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) "Breakfast of Champions" is moderately gory, is it not?

I liked "Player Piano," myself.

message 16: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I don't remember Breakfast... being gory.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Dave wrote: "But it does have a drawing of breasts."

Hmmm...

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie (angelannie) I have tried and cannot handle Jane Austen -drives me nutty trying to read anything by her!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I've been looking for Cat's Cradle for years, but my used bookstore never has it. I suppose I could get it from the library. (Why didn't I think of that until this very moment? Good lord, I'm an idiot sometimes.)

I don't have any desire whatsoever to read Jane Austen. And I am NOT ashamed.

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy i figured as much about the vonnegut. although i do feel like it's something i should read at some point, whether i want to or not, just because i SHOULD. kind of like i feel like i should see crash and the english patient, even though i'm really never in the mood for that sort of thing.

message 21: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Breakfast of Champions also has a wonderful drawing of an asshole. That and Slapstick are my favorite Vonnegut books.

I am ashamed to not have read Candide by Voltaire or The Stranger by Camus. Someone at work asks me about those two books every time he sees me reading something a little...lowbrow. I think to make me feel bad about not always reading real literature.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I remember that drawing.

message 23: by Amanda (last edited Jan 12, 2009 12:40PM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I don't think Breakfast and Assholes should go together.

message 24: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Breakfast and Assholes sounds like the name of a book I should write.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Now's the time. Get to it!

Servius  Heiner Breakfast and assholes sound like a description of my morning routine: At work I am inundated with assholes and their stupid questions... like dude, I know where here 24/7 but that doesn't mean I am available to hear your shit 24/7 wait till I get to my office.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Nick, Why are you Servius still? Was that from that name generator website? Has it taken personal meaning to you? How do you pronounce it? SERV-EE-USS or SHER-VISS or what? It drives me crazy.

Servius  Heiner yes, yes yes, no. It has become my alter ego. I am thinking about naming my next Mastiff Servius.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

How do you pronounce it?

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I think yes to serv-ee-us and no to sher-viss.

Servius  Heiner I guess eating some tofu between drinks makes one pretty smart huh RTP.

message 32: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (jesuiscoralyne) I have tried to read some Kafka's work, but find it so hard. I'm constantly on the go, IE: 2 jobs, so I need easy reads. I also have not read a lot Leo Tolstoy's works. He's an amazing writer, but his work is so loooonnnnggg.

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Of course!
My cocktail tonight is gonna be some nyquil, though. I'm getting sick. :(

message 34: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I think Montambo was crazy to begin with, and that NIck has nothing to do with it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I think YOU have nothing to do with it, Tom!

message 36: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) So now you're admitting that you're crazy all on your own, and it's nothing that anyone's driven you to?

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I'm crazy for a lot things. I'm just sick of that name Servius! I just sealed fate, though. He'll never change it, now that he knows how much I want him to.

message 38: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) You could always tell him that the name is Latin for "male prostitute specializing in anal sex." He might change it then.

Come to think of it, maybe not.

Servius  Heiner definitely

not

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.