UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past group quizzes/comps > Writing Contest #2 - Music Description

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jud (last edited Jun 12, 2012 09:42AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I guess someone has to get this started... I shall be back with the link for the music that needs a story to go with it and also a better description of what to do.

Here is the music that is your inspiration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ajCJF...

message 2: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Right. Can we say a descriptive piece of prose inspired by the music. 200 words max. In by midnight June 20th.

Are you happy to have them in your PM in box Jud? Then DM can have a go.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Umm, is this going? I had a moment of lucidity and wrote a couple of word.

message 4: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Thanks Ignite! I left work before I was able to finish working out and putting up the details.

Yes I'm happy to receive the pm's :o)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Oooh, good. I enjoyed breaking the rules for the last one.

Jud, my entry is on its way. If I can't be first in the poll perhaps I can be first to submit an entry....

message 6: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I take it the poll opens on the 20th once I have all the entries?

message 7: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 12, 2012 02:43PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I really appreciate you taking this on, Jud.

Thank you so much. X

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments OK, authors.....

My entry about mutant violins taking over the world is in........

I am quietly confident so do your worst (or best if you see what I mean)

:)

message 9: by Pat () (last edited Jun 12, 2012 10:24PM) (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Oh Simon, That is fighting talk!

Right, you asked for it!

Are you ready for this?...

I don't think so.

message 10: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I've written mine now. I didn't cheat. I didn't know I'd be asked to choose till yesterday afternoon so I picked a piece of music that I find very meditiational - well, it would be. It's called Meditation, from Thais by Massenet. It will be interesting to see how many moods it conjures. Or how many mutant violins, Simon.

I think I'll give my piece a day or so to cogitate and then I'll send it. Thanks Jud. You're a treasure!

message 11: by D.M. Andrews (author) (last edited Jun 13, 2012 01:53AM) (new)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments I'm trying to work out what old TV series used that music...

Thanks, Jud!! :)

message 12: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I'm just listening to it for the first time. Totally getting the mutant violin theme Simon.

message 13: by Kath (last edited Jun 13, 2012 02:23AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I'm not aware of a TV series using it - but then I never watch TV so I wouldn't, would I?

I just think it's fabulously atmospheric and potentially emotive.

Edit: I've just listened to it again. I just love this! :)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Remember....

We are all authors on this group, even if you haven't managed to write a book yet, you can have a go at this......
(I will write my first book after hell freezes over ... hmm, perhaps I could write a book about that!)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Did you mean June 20th, Ignite? Don't suppose it matters to much, but the writing exercise was thought up from the Writers' Cafe as a Writing Wednesday - so each contest would go out on a Wednesday. If we become very popular we'll have to stick to a fixed schedule.

How many Twitter follows you got now? ;)

message 16: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments June 20th is a Wednesday

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Exactly. So it will not be possible to post the next contest on that day if the winner is not known until Thursday morning ;)

message 18: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Here but wait. I thought the voting would start on the 20th. I only post the stories on the 20th and then the voting would close the week after? So we can have the voting finish on Tues 26th at midnight

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Oh, sorry, I misread it :( Yes, Tuesday 26th is good for a deadline for votes. ;)

message 20: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Phew! I was pancakeing there

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Then I'm glad you didn't flip.

message 22: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments You and me both

message 23: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments So we're ok with submissions till 20 th then?

message 24: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I'm just thinking... Should everyone give a title to their piece so we can use the title in the poll... since we aren't using names or will I just number them as I post them?

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments I guess titles would be better than numbers!

message 26: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Ok. *goes away to think up a title! Harder than writing the piece!*

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Hmm, if I mention mutants in the title it won't be annonymous will it.....

message 28: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Hardly. Or violins?

message 29: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments No cats either Simon!

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Cat strings ;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments He hasn't the guts to mention cats.

See what I did there?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments No. What?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Have another tablet GL.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I'm quite happy with my Samsung thanks.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Groan

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "Groan"

I think Patti is unwell. Can someone please treat her.

message 37: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Treat her? Like, take her to the pictures and buy her pop-corn?

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I am not a number..... am I ?

Signed 573

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments 565. You've been demoted.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ignite wrote: "Treat her? Like, take her to the pictures and buy her pop-corn?"

I'd rather a curry and a bottle of sparkly. :)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Take her to the sick wing and lock her in the isolation ward!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments When are back in civilization Patti?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Do you mean Wales? Cuz civilisation may not quite be the right word.

message 44: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Good luck everyone! I won't be entering, but I will be voting!

message 45: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments I don’t think I am disciplined enough to do this one. I have had two or three starts and keep going off on a tangent. I will wait for all your entries and see where I am going astray.

I will of course vote for what is in my opinion the best! Oh no I am not entering! Well the next one then #;-D

message 46: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Oh go on Pat and Katy. Have a go!

message 47: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Ignite wrote: "Oh go on Pat and Katy. Have a go!"

I am trying Kath, but it keeps going astray.

message 48: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I don't think I'm cut out to be a writer! haha. I'll stick to reading ;)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Going astray? You mean we were supposed to be focussed?

Jud, can you delete the bit about darth vader from mine please.

message 50: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I'm convinced now that the DM in DM Andrews is Darth Maul!

« previous 1 3 4