The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver discussion

Do Gabe and Jonas die at the end

Comments (showing 1-50 of 450) (450 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Sophia (last edited Jan 07, 2009 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophia Morgan I think the finally reach elsewhere. What about you?

Amanda First read Gathering Blue, and then The Messenger. Be patient, because they seem like they don't answer your question, but in the end they do.

Sophia Morgan i read the book but it seems unclear.

Kelly ☮ I've read both Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Long story short, Jonas and Gabe reach another community and Jonas becomes the leader of that community.

Sophia Morgan thanx!!!!

Joshua NOOOOOOO!!! i wanted positively commentary on the book not a spoiler!. Joshua Sad!

Hylian Princess Sophia wrote: "I think the finally reach elsewhere. What about you?"

Well, what happens to Jonah and Gabe is suppose to be up for interpretation. Shortly after Lowry wrote the book, she was interviewed and was asked "What happens to Jonah and Gabe." She didn't give an answer. If the author herself cannot answer this question, anything other users tell you here, is simply their interpretation. Sure, the sequels can change it, and try to tell you that one set thing happened, but by leaving the ending of the Giver (separate from the sequels) open for analysis makes the meaning so much deeper.

Joshua Wow! ~AMAZED~

Hylian Princess heh, thanks :)

message 10: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I think they died.

Emily I don't think they did die because Jonah said when they reached the bottom of the snow hill, that he could see them waiting for him. Thats what i think though, i dont know about you.

message 12: by Zoha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoha Oh I read the next book and in that Gabe or Jonah is alive.

message 13: by Andy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andy loved the giver

message 14: by S.J (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.J no they dont

message 15: by Andy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andy dont think they do anyway

Meggi Lou i don't think so, because they still could here stuff. + i read the messenger...and i am optimistic.

Janie Well I sure hope not. Jonas does appear in a different book, but why leave the end of "The Giver" so open-ended?

michelle-belle I think and hope they reached Elsewhere!

Madeline So bazaar! I love this book but really, imagine a world without color or love!

Prarthana No.... they don't die at the end of the book.... my teacher says so. And they did reach Elsewhere... and also I DO NOT like this book.....

Madeline Prarthana wrote: "No.... they don't die at the end of the book.... my teacher says so. And they did reach Elsewhere... and also I DO NOT like this book....."

Just curious. Why not?

Prarthana I don't know.... I kinda don't like science fiction books... and I didn't get some parts of the book..... :(

Madeline Prarthana wrote: "I don't know.... I kinda don't like science fiction books... and I didn't get some parts of the book..... :("

It's incredibly bazaar so I can understand but I liked it.

Prarthana I DO NOT LIKE IT!!!! I do understand it but not a whole lot...

Madeline Prarthana wrote: "I DO NOT LIKE IT!!!! I do understand it but not a whole lot..."

What are some of your favorite books?

Madeline Zoha wrote: "Oh I read the next book and in that Gabe or Jonah is alive."

NO WAY! WHAT'S THE BOOK CALLED? MUST READ IT!

Prarthana My favorite books are:
Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge
Papequake
The Mother-Daughter book club series
All of Sarah Dessen's books
Ruined
I HAVE A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 28: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee the next one is called Gathering Blue, which features someone else in the community and the final one is called the Messenger (I think)

Madeline wrote: "Zoha wrote: "Oh I read the next book and in that Gabe or Jonah is alive."

NO WAY! WHAT'S THE BOOK CALLED? MUST READ IT!"

message 29: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Definitely take the time to read Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Both are excellent books. The Giver is by far the best of the three (in my opinion, I've only read it a ton of times in the last 16 years since a teacher gave it to me) but the other two round out the story a bit and help bring some conclusions.

But I do think that Lowry wanted you to do some of your own thinking and place yourself in a similar society. What would you do if your world was not what it seemed? If someone was in control of all your thoughts, your knowledge, and every aspect of how you lived your life? What if you didn't know all that you know now? What if you didn't have access to things like the internet and couldn't learn whatever you wanted? Is there a point where it all is too much and we should allow someone to step in and take total control? And if someone tried to take total control of your life, how would you deal with it?

Just some thoughts. :)

Madeline Dana wrote: "Definitely take the time to read Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Both are excellent books. The Giver is by far the best of the three (in my opinion, I've only read it a ton of times in the last 1..."

I loved the ending not because you tantalized over what really happened but because you get to decide yourself.

message 31: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo They do reach Elsewhere. In Messenger, Jonas is portrayed as the new Leader of Village, and Gabe as a rascally eight year old.

message 32: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt Lopez No, because they are in Messenger

message 33: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo When they describe Mentor they say he had a hard time with a little boy named Gabe who had discipline trouble.

Lauren :D In the back of the book Lois Lowry says that they don't die.

Prarthana ohhhh..... well I didn't check....

message 36: by Pao (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pao Mtz Parente I know for sure they dont die.

Maddie I know they lived now, but i loved the Giver even when i was confused at the end!

Lauren :D lol

Katrina The author said that the was was mearly for you to decide.

Prarthana huh... u have met her????

Katrina No, my English teacher told me.

Prarthana ohhh....

Katrina Yeah, i think she also said she didn't mean for it to seem like they died. My english teacher's guess was they had gone in a big circle and went back to the community but now they had memories!

Samantha they are ALIvE! !

.. . somewhere

message 45: by Bez (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bez no they aint dead there is a sequel to it

message 46: by Ava (new) - rated it 1 star

Ava HATED THE STINKIN' BOOK

Prarthana SO DID I!!!!!

message 48: by Bez (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bez Ava wrote: "HATED THE STINKIN' BOOK"

I COMPLETELY AGREE

Prarthana YUP!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

it;s really slow in the begin but i think it gets better towards the end.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Giver (other topics)
Messenger (other topics)
Gathering Blue (other topics)
Son (other topics)
More...