Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Reading Challenge > Reading Challenge #13- Ideas/ Discussion

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Anyone want to take a stab at the next reading challenge? The dates will run July 1- September 30. Check out our past challenges for ideas.

Rookies, don't be afraid to step up to the task! I'm sure our challenge veterans will be more than happy to help you out!

message 2: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I, personally, have loved the ease of Challenge #12- it has made it easier to participate no matter the circumstances of our reading life.

Oh, I am here to help anyone as I have done I think 8 challenges now :)

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I've been kinda running this one for the most part, but wouldn't mind doing it again or helping someone out with it. :)

Maybe we could do a Title A-Z or do we want to jump back on different themes again?

message 4: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Kristen wrote: "I've been kinda running this one for the most part, but wouldn't mind doing it again or helping someone out with it. :)

Maybe we could do a Title A-Z or do we want to jump back on different themes..."

If it is an easy one, I'll help :)

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (alianneforever) | 83 comments I like the a-z idea!

Samantha McNulty I too like the A-Z idea. Title, Author etc. I've always wanted to do this type of challenge!

message 7: by Kari (new)

Kari I agree! We just did authors A-Z.... I think next should be titles A-Z.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Since it takes place during the summer, and I know I'm crazy busy during summer months, I love the idea of continuing the A-Z type challenge. Title A-Z fits in nicely with the previous author challenge. I know the Title A-Z has been done in the past, so there's some good ideas out there to add to this challenge or change things up from what was done in the previously.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy I love the idea of titles A to Z. It's summer and an easy challenge would be great. I really enjoyed challenge 12!

message 10: by Kristen (last edited Jun 12, 2012 06:02AM) (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments Okay here's the mock up...

Okay, here's the Summer A-Z Title challenge! We'll use the same ground rules as for the other challenges:

1. The Challenge begins at 12:00 A.M. local time on July 1, 2012 and ends at 11:59 P.M. local time on September 30 2012.
2. This Challenge is just for fun, so make sure you enjoy yourself and all the books you will be reading!
3. All books must be classified as Young Adult or Juvenile Fiction, unless otherwise noted in the task. If you local library classifies the book you chose as such, then the book may be included.
4. All books must be at least 100 pages long to count for any of the tasks, unless otherwise noted in the task.
5. Re-reads count, unless otherwise noted in the task.
6. Audio books and electronic books (unabridged), such as Kindle, all count for this Challenge. Page counts will be according to the Good Reads page count.

A-Z Title Challenge:

1. Fill in each letter of the alphabet with a title of a book that you've read that begins with that letter (i.e. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging for the letter A).
2. Articles (a, an, the) don't count in alphabetizing, so skip to the first letter of the next word (i.e. The Book Thief would count for the letter B, A Great and Terrible Beauty would count for the letter G, and so on).
3. Titles that start with or are entirely comprised of numbers, will be alphabetized by how they would be spelled when written out in English (i.e. 13 Little Blue Envelopes would count for the letter T for Thirteen).
4. The letters Q, X, Y, and Z will be special. The title will only have to include the letter to count (i.e. All Unquiet Things or The Bermudez Triangle).
5. There is no limit to how many books you read for each letter, so there is no limit to the points you can earn. The person with the most points at the end is the winner! If there’s a tie, we will look at the total pages read. There will be prizes for the person with the most points and one randomly selected recipient. :)

Point Value System:

1. For the first book you read for each letter, you will receive 10 points.
2. For any additional books you read for each letter, you will receive 2 points each.
3. For each book read, you may receive additional points if the book also meets any of the following criteria:
- The book is one of the two Group Reads for that month (+10)
- The book is listed on our WT Group Bookshelf (+5)
- The book is an award winner/honoree (not just nominated!) (+5)
- The book works for Kellee’s monthly challenge for July, Aug or Sept (can't be read before that month's challenge begins or ends, though) (+5)
- You start or contribute to an existing discussion about the book (+5)
4. When reporting completion of tasks, please list the following:
- The letter of the alphabet you are completing & the title/ author of the book (with a hyperlink is super helpful!)
- Total pages of the book
- All additional criteria met for that letter

***Genre Points Bonus***

The whole goal of the challenges is to get you to pick up something new and different. So, for each different genre you read, you will earn 5 points. This is only available once per genre. Only one genre can be claimed per book. (i.e. you can't claim both paranormal and romance for Twilight.) Check out our discussion boards to find some books in other genres that may fit into your A-Z!

Here's a list of the genres we'll accept for this challenge:

Action/Adventure
Classic
Dystopian/Apocalyptic/Post-Apocolyptic
Fantasy/Supernatural
Graphic Novel
Historical Fiction
Horror/Thriller/Suspense
Humor
Manga
Mystery
Nonfiction
Paranormal
Poetry
Realistic Fiction/Contemporary
Romance
Sci-Fi
Short Stories
Sports Fiction
War
Multicultural
LGBT
Religious
Folk/Fairy Tale (including retellings)

And one last thing. If you read a book for each letter in the alphabet you get a bonus +50 - some incentive for trying that much harder to complete the alphabet.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Those rules look awesome Kristen! Kudos for putting it together! :-)

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Looks Great!

message 13: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Thanks for doing this Kristen. Can't wait to start!

message 14: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Perfect Kristen- thank you!!!
I think the fall challenge we should do a twist on the A-Z where it is the protagonist's name or the setting- makes it a bit more challenging, but still accessible... (sorry, thinking way ahead ;-P)

message 15: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Kristen, are there really going to be prizes? We haven't had a challenge with prizes in a while!

message 16: by Kristen (last edited Jun 12, 2012 09:05PM) (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments Angela wrote: "Kristen, are there really going to be prizes? We haven't had a challenge with prizes in a while!"

Yes'm. :) I have a stack of books or if international I can do something through Book Depository. :)

message 17: by Kristen (last edited Jun 12, 2012 09:06PM) (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments Kellee wrote: "Perfect Kristen- thank you!!!
I think the fall challenge we should do a twist on the A-Z where it is the protagonist's name or the setting- makes it a bit more challenging, but still accessible......"

Ooooo.. that sounds like fun! .. or a state challenge. Reading a book set in each different state.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy So are we finalized or still discussing?

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I think we are fairly finalized. :) Nobody had any suggestions to add to etc?

message 20: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Kristen wrote: "Ooooo.. that sounds like fun! .. or a state challenge. Reading a book set in each different state."

Exactly!! It'll be so much fun!! We should do one of them for #14 & 15 because it'll be a great twist on the A-Z with a bit more challenges than the title and author :)

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments Love it. :)

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy I like the state challenge too. I think that should definitely be one of the upcoming ones!

message 23: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Jun 13, 2012 10:41PM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I think we should do states sometime too. But A-Z is a good no-pressure challenge during summer.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy Agreed!

message 25: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Help: I am having trouble finding a Z book that I haven't read. I know it can be anywhere in the title, but I am drawing a blank on any... I have a book in the Hank Zipzer series to read, but the title doesn't have a Z in it & I also have Zombie Winter to read, but it is only 65 pages.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy Stargazer by Claudia Gray?

message 27: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Amy wrote: "Stargazer by Claudia Gray?"

I don't know that book- thank you Amy.
I actually found one as I was going through all of my books-
Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography :) Phew!

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy Glad you found one!

message 29: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (sheribo) | 55 comments Kellee wrote: "Help: I am having trouble finding a Z book that I haven't read. I know it can be anywhere in the title, but I am drawing a blank on any... I have a book in the Hank Zipzer series to read, but the t..."

Z for Zachariah Great older post-apocalyptic fiction. It's a quick read too.

message 30: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Thank you Sheri! I don't know that book. Will definitely look into it.

message 31: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Okay guys- need help with a "V" book now please :)

message 32: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (sheribo) | 55 comments The Vile Village Series of Unfortunate Events #7? That's about all I can come up with. I think V should be like Q,X,Y and Z. I'll keep thinking.

message 33: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (sheribo) | 55 comments Anything that starts with Vampire. The Cirque du Freak Series by Darren Shan has several titles that start with Vampire. And I thought the series was pretty good if you haven't read them.

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy Evernight (this is a book one).

message 35: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Amy wrote: "Evernight (this is a book one)."

V has to be at the beginning :(

@Sheri- I wish it was like the others too. V is hard.

message 36: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which is the 5th book in the Narnia series.

I just read Vietnamerica: A Family's Leavetakings and Homecomings, which I enjoyed.

A Very Fine Line was a cute story.

Good luck!

message 38: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Kristen wrote: "Voices of Dragons
Vixen
Virals (really good!)
Violet Wings
The Vespertine"

Thank you Kristen! I'll have to see if my school library has any of those- thank you :)

message 40: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Do we like the idea of a 50 state challenge? I'll open up the thread for challenge 14 to get some input.