Ray Bradbury
This topic is about Ray Bradbury
Ray Bradbury, R.I.P.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 498 comments Source.

From the People magazine obituary:
"Libraries raised me," The New York Times quoted the outspoken Bradbury as saying. "I believe in libraries because most students don't have any money. When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money. I couldn't go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years."

By one calculation, Bradbury's name appears on more than 30 books, nearly 600 short stories and innumerable essays and plays, in addition to screenplays, teleplays, speeches and personal letters.

In June 2012, for a special science-fiction issue of The New Yorker, Bradbury wrote of being totally consumed as a child by space hero Buck Rogers and adventure author Edgar Rice Burroughs. "When I look back now, I realize what a trial I must have been to my friends and relatives," he said. "I would go out to [my grandparents' front] lawn on summer nights and reach up to the red light of Mars and say, 'Take me home!' "

If there's any justice, he's there now.

In addition to his literary legacy, I'll also remember the Ray Bradbury Theater, which ran on HBO and USA from 1985 to 1992. I still remember one episode called "Banshee," with Peter O'Toole and Charles Martin Smith, which was both funny and terrifying. What I didn't know at the time was that the characters were directly based on John Huston and Bradbury himself. Wonder if I still have that videocassette around here somewhere...?

message 2: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
I have loved Bradbury as long as I've loved reading. On lazy summer days, there was always some dog-eared collection or other of Bradbury on my beach towel or in my luggage. The man by turns made me laugh, creeped me out, or filled me w/ a sense of wonder and awe, but he was never boring.

This summer, I will definitely be re-reading Dandelion Wine and this year I might actual make a batch, like I've been threatening to do for the last few years.

Thank you for all the great stories, Mr. Bradbury.

message 3: by Robert (last edited Jun 06, 2012 10:25AM) (new)

Robert (vernson) | 592 comments My first Bradbury book, Fahrenheit 451 Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury I know, obvious choice, but the fact that its themes still resonate make it invaluable.

I'm ashamed that I have not read more of his works, so I need to remedy that immediately. Sorry, it took the man's passing to raise awareness to his timeless works.

With that said, I know Ray is often pigeon-holed as a sci-fi writer, but never while reading Fahrenheit did I ever think that this is a hardcore science fiction story. His work transcended genres in my opinion.

message 4: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

Jason | 1166 comments Mod
I would love to dedicate a (non-book) episode to Bradbury and his work very soon if my co-hosts are game.

message 5: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "I would love to dedicate a (non-book) episode to Bradbury and his work very soon if my co-hosts are game."

Great minds, amigo. Great minds.

message 6: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Dave Alluisi | 1047 comments Mod
Sure, why don't we chat about him for a bit on Sunday.

message 7: by Jeppe (new)

Jeppe (jmulich) | 315 comments Oh man. Ray Bradbury was a big influence on me when I developed my early literary tastes, and I still have vivid memories of reading some of his books, particularly Something Wicked This Way Comes and The October Country. Sad to see him pass, but what a rich legacy to leave behind.

message 8: by Jeppe (new)

Jeppe (jmulich) | 315 comments Oh, and this is a fun read: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifesty...

message 9: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

As good a place for this as any, I suppose. This week's show, including our reminiscences about the great Ray Bradbury, is up: http://bookhouseboyspodcast.podomatic...

message 10: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Had a great time chatting Bradbury with you guys and am very excited to re-read Dandelion Wine this summer!

message 11: by Jeppe (new)

Jeppe (jmulich) | 315 comments Bradbury, Kenzaburo Oe, and Battle Royale in one episode? I am so listening to this one right now.

message 12: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

Jeppe wrote: "Bradbury, Kenzaburo Oe, and Battle Royale in one episode? I am so listening to this one right now."

Ruh-roh.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert (vernson) | 592 comments Downloaded and listening, chaps!

Reading I Sing The Body Electric by Mr. Bradbury and even though I have only gotten through the first 1/3 of the book, his range and diversity are absolutely stunning. He's poignant, witty, insightful, charming, just simply talented.

message 14: by Jeppe (new)

Jeppe (jmulich) | 315 comments Jason wrote:
Ruh-roh."

It's okay, I forgive you :D Seriously though, I thought Battle Royale was a pretty fun ride, but I prefer the film to the book, since the melodrama tends to drag on for too long in the written form.

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert on Japanese literature at all, but I have read a few authors. Haruki Murakami is probably my favorite other, together with the awesome Kōbō Abe. Those two both represent the more surreal strand of Japanese literary tradition, in the vein of Latin American magical realism and other works combining traditional folkloric style with postmodern writing sensibilities.

Kenzaburō Ōe is in many ways the "grand old man" of modern Japanese literary writing, and it's no surprise that he despises Murakami. He is very much a modernist, and most of his work, although quite varied in style and substance, adresses issues of social change and problems in Japanese post-war society.

Besides those mentioned above, I'd also recommend checking out Ryū Murakami who is sort of the bad boy of Japanese literature. A more gifted Bret Easton Ellis, if you will. He wrote the source material for the popular Miike film Audition, as well as a very frank and quite funny portrait of the late 1960s in Japan (69).

message 15: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

Thanks, Jeppe, for those great suggestions. Abe and Murakami both intrigue me.

message 16: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Was getting my daughter Rock Jaw: Master of the Eastern Border at the big Powell's store yesterday and decided to pick up a copy of Dandelion Wine for August. I was pleased to see the 2 shelves of Bradbury almost completely empty. Should have taken a pic. It looked like the canned goods shelf of yr corner store after a tornado, tsunami, and locust warning.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 498 comments Heads up: A Goodreads giveaway for the Bradbury-inspired collection Shadow Show ends Monday. Good luck!