Start by marking “The October Country” as Want to Read:
The October Country

The October Country

Ray Bradbury's second short story collection is back in print, its chilling encounters with funhouse mirrors, parasitic accident-watchers, and strange poker chips intact. Both sides of Bradbury's vaunted childhood nostalgia are also on display, in the celebratory "Uncle Einar," and haunting "The Lake," the latter a fine elegy to childhood loss. This edition features a new ...more
Published September 7th 1999 by William Morrow (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The October Country, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tessa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
J.P. McD I read half of it last October and half of it this October, but there's nothing specifically Halloweeny that I recall. Just generally supernatural.

Start your review of The October Country
Lyn
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the reading of Bradbury on a crisp, autumn morning … sounds like October.

The October Country is a collection of short stories by the Grandmaster writer Ray Bradbury.

Eschewing any connection to science fiction, this group of purely fantasy tales resounds with Bradbury’s fascination with and brilliant creativity in the realms of the occult, macabre and the dark.

Bradbury begins the book with this explanation: “The October Country … that country where it is always turning late in the year. That countr
Johann (jobis89)
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"...that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain..."

A collection of 19 maca
Shawn
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first books I ever read, and one of the reasons I still read. I found some of the other reviews dismaying (poor dialogue? silly concepts? antique writing style? - has the world and the people in it really changed that much? Have people lost their hearts? Perhaps, they've just never read "The Smile" by Bradbury, not included in this collection).

Granted, Bradbury's style does take some getting used to - the man is emotionally honest and as people everywhere become more emoti
Char
Finally! Finally, I've read this classic collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury. I'm so glad that I did.

What can I say about this that hasn't already been said? It's beautifully written. Some of the stories were so haunting, I know that they will stick with me for the rest of my life: Ones like "The Scythe" and "The Dwarf", "Jack in the Box" and "Homecoming."

Bradbury's style is sparse; he packs a lot of meaning into very few words. His prose is so beautiful that, at times, the reader has
Apatt
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am quite useless at reviewing an anthologies so please bear with me. How do you go about reviewing these things any way? Story by story? Sounds like a chore. I'll just muddle through as usual then!

The October Country is a collection of Ray Bradbury's macabre stories, I hesitate to label them as "horror stories" because they are not particularly horrifying, but they are mostly odd and unsettling, almost "new weird" but disqualified on the "new" part! The iIllustrations by Joe Mugnaini (a few are shown below)then!
The
Ginger
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, 2017
This was a great collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury! I’m so glad I read this book in October with the leaves coming down, the air was crisp and Halloween was around the corner. It really added to the overall atmosphere for the book.

Favorite short stories:
“The Next in Line”, “Skeleton”, “The Emissary”, “The Small Assassin” and “The Scythe”!

Bradbury’s writing is so beautiful, flawless and fantastical. I definitely recommend this collection to Bradbury fans an
Maciek
October Country...that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain...

Fall is probably my favorit
Fabian
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Watch "The Twilight Show" (even any other "derivative" of that show for that matter, i.e. anything from Perversions of Science to Black Mirror to Tales from the Crypt) and those goosebumps that develop ever so sinister-like? Every story in this collection earns that type of unforgettable excitement: the pure thrill of being scared. And by no other than this maestro. Hard to believe that the master was with me, personally, all along. I still remember coming across "Something Wicked this Way Comes ...more
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

... that country were it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilight linger, and midnights stay. The country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain ...

The introduction suggests this one's
Jamie Stewart
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The October Country: a book of strange, sometimes creepy, sometimes heart warming tales, written in Ray Bradbury’s flawless excitable style. You can tell from these pages that the man loved to write, in someways his words are like those of a child’s discovering a new love for the first time, it’s an enthusiasm that captivated me.

My favourite stories within this book are:

The Dwarf

I noticed when reading
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, fantasy
This might be a re-read... but for the most part, I had forgotten much of what I read here from way back in the day.

No matter.

It's odd. I've changed as a reader. These slow and gently transformative stories are... prosaic. They don't grab me as much as they might have, years ago. Indeed, I dropped a star for that reason. But I still found enough to love in them that I didn't just despair from boredom.

For one, I'm familiar enough with so many movies and tv show
Ivana Books Are Magic
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published in 1955, The October Country is a wonderful collection of macabre short stories. The stories are of exceptional quality, exactly what one would expect from a writer as acclaimed as Ray Bradbury. Even the stories that weren't my cup of tea impressed me with the beautiful writing, wonderful characterization and attention to details. I'll review all of the stories separately. Avoiding spoilers in reviews is never easy, but it is especially challenging when it comes to short sto ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge: A book by an author with the same first or last name as you

*1.5/5*

I quite enjoyed The Small Assassin and The Crowd (The Scythe was decent as well) but the rest of these stories did nothing for me. The Illustrated Man is a far superior collection of short stories in my opinion, so I’d recommend that.
Gary
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ray Bradbury. He captured in words the longings that always young hearts feel. A stylist, he produced a language that, once learned, is never forgotten and always recognized. In this collection of a few of his short stories, some are Literature, and his genius is only unrecognized beyond our small corner of science fiction and fantasy because the outside world hasn't met him yet. His magic, when they finally do meet him, will open their minds and hearts to his true magnificent talents. Some of t ...more
Terry
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of classic horror
Recommended to Terry by: Addy
This is a great collection of classic short horror stories by Ray Bradbury. There is no shock and awe here, like you might find from more modern horror writers. Rather, there are well-crafted and well-written tales of suspense, horror and atmosphere. It is an excellent read for the Halloween season.
Tony
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I forget about Mr Bradbury and when I remember I have to admonish myself for not reading more. Anyone is capable of producing a picture which paints a thousand words, Mr Bradbury is capable of giving birth to words which paint a thousand pictures. That’s some feat! The man is a true master who uses this art to deliver incredible tales which makes you blow your cheeks out, sit back and smile.

Except the one in here which must have been written on a bad acid trip.

I
Kimberly
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid writing with some great atmospheric tension! As always in collections, some stories stand out for me more than others. I doubt that I will forget the lingering, oppressive feelings of "Jack-in-the-Box" anytime soon. Another that keeps coming to mind was The Dwarf. I can say that there are some stories that will "click" with almost everyone out there--something to suit everyone's tastes.

Highly recommended!
Gabrielle
Spooktober read #2!

I always make sure to have a Bradbury book or two at hand for October, because nothing goes better with his stories than trees slowly blushing red and gold, a hot whiskey toddy and a blanket scarf (and perhaps Rachel Bloom singing her masterpiece: www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM). “The October Country” is obviously the perfect short story collection for the first crisp autumn days (or evenings), as it is stuffed with creepy and macabre settings and characters. The magic of Bradbury’s prose works i
Trish
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first short story collection by Bradbury and while some stories were truly wonderful, others were quite mundane or even disappointing. So much so that I "only" give this collection 3 stars, which surprised me since I LOVED his novels.

The theme of this collection, as the title suggests, is autumn. As Neil Gaiman once said, Bradbury is to experienced in October and after reading three of his books as well as this short story collection, I quite agree. He seems to have loved this time of year as
Paul Bryant
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Anyone reading my review of Something Wicked this way Comes might possibly get the idea that I don't think Ray Bradbury is the godlike genius I used to think he was. Well, I don't. But I was like this stupid kid, I hadn't read anything, and stumbling into RB's world was my 13 year old version of Alice falling down the rabbit hole. Suddenly - Light! Colour! Weirdness! Mars!
He did sentimentality - everyone knows that, buckets of the stuff - but he also did gruesome and freaky. The October Countr
Adam Light
I've been dipping into this exquisite short story collection for quite some time now, and it is with great ambivalence that I have, at long last, finished reading it. I have paced myself, savored each story, chewing thoroughly every delectable word, sentence, and paragraph. I have supped well and gained much nourishment from Mr. Bradbury's inimitable prose. Though I am happy that I have finally read all of the stories in The October Country, I only wish there were but one more left to consume. B ...more
Bon
Four stars for my enjoyment of The Scythe, The Lake and The Wind.
Quentin Wallace
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been hearing about this book for years, and finally got around to reading it. I hate to start negatively, but I was slightly disappointed. Now, that's not saying it wasn't good, as it was a four star book. But I think my expectations were so high I was wanting too much out of this one.

Calling attention to a few stories:

SKELETON: This was an interesting horror tale, and I'm fairly sure I read an EC comic adaptation.

THE JAR: One of the better stories in the collecti
Mindi
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to say two things right from the very beginning: 1) This is only the second book I've read by Bradbury, which is shameful, but I plan on rectifying that, and 2) I think I would have loved this collection even more if I had read it in the fall.

At the very beginning of the collection Bradbury writes the following:

...that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, a/>...that
Obsidian
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
All in all I enjoyed this collection. Some stories didn't hit the mark with me though. I ended up giving it four stars because the illustrations that are in here pushed the book to a different level.

"The Dwarf" (3 stars)- I liked it okay, but was actually disappointed in the ending. I thought Bradbury was going one way with the story and it kind of fizzled for me.

"The Next in Line" (5 stars)- Loved it from beginning to end. This story of a married couple visiting a small town and th
Blair
The introduction to The October Country is wonderfully evocative (it doesn’t actually apply to everything in the book, but let’s just ignore that):

... that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people ar/>
Jessica
I used to read my sister's copy over and over! Next to the Martian Chronicles, I believe they are Bradbury's best short stories, and they are certainly his creepiest!
Michelle Morrell
A collection of short stories set in, on, around or feeling like October. They are quite indiciative of their time, and I enjoyed the peek back to what people in the early part of last century considered shocking or spooky. And while they are not subtle, in the vein of "the hook was hanging from the car door!" they did make me ponder how it seems we've become saturated as a whole and need more scares, unrelenting horror, the busting through of our comfort zones to consider something "scary." ...more
Dean
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The October Country" by Ray Bradbury is one of the best short Storys collection ever and ever!!
But let me begin by saying that I love very much Ray Bradbury, his novels and short- Storys..
They never fail to enchant me and they always left me behind aching for more, much more of him and his creativity!!

If you love short Storys collection full of wit and originality, then here have you a gold mine before your eyes..
Bradbury, a magician of the short Storys and a Jongl
Becky
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Perhaps it was my fault- I was love-drunk with Something Wicked This Way Comes, and I wanted the same amount of emotional and seasonal precision that I experienced with that book... and I didn't get it. I wanted skittering leaves and brittle pages, I wanted what I was reading to match the feel in the air, I wanted it to be perfectly time in its writing, in my life, in the year, and that is too much to ask from any book. It can only occur by happenstance.

The first page description of
Drunken Pen Writi...: Traditions We Depend Upon 3 7 Jul 13, 2019 10:09PM
Horror Aficionados : October Country 171 76 Oct 29, 2017 06:39PM
The best of Bradbury!! 2 38 Mar 17, 2014 01:29PM
Ray Bradbury 1 21 Jun 12, 2012 07:00PM

• Halloween Fiend
  • Blood Sugar
  • Haunted Nights
  • The Pale White
  • The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
  • Hug Chickenpenny: The Panegyric of an Anomalous Child
  • Slash
  • A Little Sorrowed Talk
  • Walk The Darkness Down
  • The Girl Who Hid in the Trees
  • The Fearing: Air and Dust (The Fearing #3)
  • We Live Inside Your Eyes
  • Tribesmen
  • Harrowing Horrors: Hanged Man
Ray Douglas Bradbury, American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at ...more
“The minute you get a religion you stop thinking. Believe in one thing too much and you have no room for new ideas.” 332 likes
“October Country . . . that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and mid-nights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain. . . .” 108 likes