What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

More William (Just William, #2)
This topic is about More William
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Story about a bad little boy [s]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bryan457 | 284 comments Seems like I read this before 1980. I think it was an old hardcover book with no dustjacket. I don't think it was a short story.

The story itself was set in maybe the late 1800s or early 1900s.

Story details I remember:
The boy was the spoiled son of a rich family.
There is a scene where the family is throwing a party and there is a bowl with apples arranged in a pyramid on it. The boy is told not to touch them. He takes a bite out of each apple and puts them back so the bitten out part can't be seen.
He carefully considers Christmas or birthday presents and gets things for people that he likes but they don't, so that when he takes the presents back later, no one will mind.

Bryan457 | 284 comments bump

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) The stories about Emil, for example Emil dari Lonneberga, by Astrid Lindgren seem to match somewhat. I've not read them all, but there are different translations and collections so you might want to explore Lindgren's whole page here, or go to http://www.astridlindgren.com/en/her-...

Bryan457 | 284 comments No, not Emil, the boy in the story I read seemed older than Emil, and I don't recall him having any siblings.

Emil is the closest thing I've seen yet to what I remember.

Thanks for your input.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I hope you find it - sounds fun!

message 8: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Nov 06, 2012 05:57AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 860 comments Ahhh! Now I'm in the same circumstance as you. I know that story, but I can't for the life of me think of what it is.

Was it a children's picture book, or a young adult, do you know?

Bryan457 | 284 comments Juvenile rather than young adult or picture book.
I think it might have had black and white drawings inside, but not entirely sure.

message 11: by Andria (new)

Bryan457 | 284 comments Andria wrote: "The Story of a Bad Boy?
or maybe Penrod?"

Those are some really great suggestions. I'm pretty sure neither one is it. I don't think the boy in the one I read was part of a gang. I don't remember him having a group of other kids to run around with.

message 14: by Andria (last edited Jan 07, 2013 05:24PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
There was a series from the turn of the (20th) century called Peck's Bad Boy, by George W. Peck

I believe the first is Peck's Bad Boy and His Pa.

Bryan457 | 284 comments Andria wrote: "There was a series from the turn of the (20th) century called Peck's Bad Boy, by George W. Peck

I believe the first is Peck's Bad Boy and His Pa."

No, none of those are the right one, but thanks for looking.

message 16: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Bummer. I'll keep poking around. Do you think it was written in the 19th C or was that just the setting?

Bryan457 | 284 comments I am guessing just the setting, but it's just a guess. You never know with old University library books.

message 19: by Ficie (new)

Ficie | 65 comments Could it be A Bad Boy's Diary?

message 20: by Bryan457 (last edited Feb 02, 2013 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bryan457 | 284 comments No, I don't think it was in diary form, and I don't remember the "creative spelling." I browsed through it online at the Emory University library and couldn't find the scene with the apples or the Christmas gifts part. I remember the boy as being older than eight. This is definitely on the right track though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bryan457 | 284 comments Oh, and for those that like stories about bad little boys, I started a list
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/28...

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Oh, good idea - I'll visit your list right now.

message 23: by Sonja (last edited Feb 04, 2013 11:07PM) (new)

Sonja (bookescape) | 8 comments what about astrid lindgrens Emil series, I love those books about that naughty little boy, he is just sooo funny

Bryan457 | 284 comments Sonja wrote: "what about astrid lindgrens Emil series, I love those books about that naughty little boy, he is just sooo funny"

Emil does sound like a great read, but no, not the one I'm looking for.

Keep the suggestions coming though.

Bryan457 | 284 comments Hélène wrote: "Enter Frederick K. Bower
by Anthony Horowitz?"

No, afraid not.

message 29: by Oliver (new)

Oliver Kellow | 12 comments Saki?

Bryan457 | 284 comments Oliver wrote: "Saki?"
No Saki, but thanks.

Kathy | 55 comments The story being sought is "Rice-Mould," from More William (1922), the second of Richmal Crompton's many "Just William" collections. The fruits in the pyramid are big green pears.

Bryan457 | 284 comments Thanks, I will get a copy and see if that's it. Looks like it is a free Kindle download right now.

Bryan457 | 284 comments Yes! This is definitely the right book.
The Christmas bit is in the very 1st story, and the take one bite out of each pear in the arrangement is in the 2nd story.
Thanks Kathy!
Solved after two years and 481 views.

message 35: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Awesome.