Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)
This topic is about The Scorch Trials
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > The Scorch Trials by Dashner, James - (buddy read)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner
This topic is open for discussion of The Scorch Trials by James Dashner. Except SPOILERS.

Synopsis:
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety . . . until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated—and with it, order—and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim . . . and meal.

The Gladers are far from finished with running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder—does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:05PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Reading Schedule

date Chapters Pages PPQC
June 6, 2012 1 - 10 1 - 57
June 7, 2012 11 - 19 58 - 111
June 8, 2012 20 - 29 112 - 171
June 9, 2012 30 - 37 172 - 220
June 10, 2012 38 - 46 221 - 273
June 11, 2012 47 - end 274 - 360

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Anyone in?

Lauren (losetimereading) I wish I had of held off one more day! I started this yesterday and now I'm just about done :( It's so good though, enjoy!!

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments I'm in!

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll divvy up the chapters and we can decide what the reading schedule will be

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I might try. Need to see about getting it from the library. I also am trying to finish Bitterblue and Insurgent before they are due back on the 11th. Put me down as a maybe, I guess?

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments So apparently I already requested The Scorch Trials from my library and it's ready to be picked up. I don't even remember requesting it!

Count me in for this buddy read. Will do my best to keep up.

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Does everyone have the book? Does the schedule sound good?

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Yep, this works for me :)

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 10

1) Wow. Talk about head games...this is crazy. What do you make of the whole new environment?

2) Was Teresa's mind erased? Will she be in a position to betray Thomas>

3) They're making Thomas a target? That must mean the two groups will come together. How in the world will they make one group kill someone from the other?

4) So I looked up the name Teresa Agnes and it is the name of Mother Teresa. What does that mean? I was thinking it would be a name attributed to some spy or someone.

5) So they are helping to save people???? How? I'm still unsure of how this works. Is anyone else/

6) Thoughts on the first section we've read? Is anything puzzling you?

7) I wonder how many levels there are to the trials? Will they ever be allowed to go free?

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 10

1) Wow. Talk about head games...this is crazy. What do you make of the whole new environment?
I have no idea what to think. They play around so much with special effects like the Greiver Hole, there's no telling what they can do.

2) Was Teresa's mind erased? Will she be in a position to betray Thomas?
I believe so. I bet she will not follow through with the betrayal - she'll remember something right before.

3) They're making Thomas a target? That must mean the two groups will come together. How in the world will they make one group kill someone from the other?
Mind control? Like a milder version of what they did to Gally.

4) So I looked up the name Teresa Agnes and it is the name of Mother Teresa. What does that mean? I was thinking it would be a name attributed to some spy or someone.
No clue. Maybe we will know more if we find out the other Group's names and what they were based on.

5) So they are helping to save people???? How? I'm still unsure of how this works. Is anyone else/
So confusing. This seems like an extreme way to try to save people.

6) Thoughts on the first section we've read? Is anything puzzling you?
In Thomas's memory-dream, they said "The Flare is rooted inside him." Does that mean he can cure it or is immune to it?

7) I wonder how many levels there are to the trials? Will they ever be allowed to go free?
Maybe 3 levels - one for each book. As for freedom, maybe? I'm sure only a handful of Gladers will survive the trials. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if only Thomas and Teresa survived.

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Alley said, "No clue. Maybe we will know more if we find out the other Group's names and what they were based on."

I didn't think of that, but I should have. Good thought.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I just saw this post. I missed it somehow earlier. I am going to start right now and post answers for the questions shortly.

message 15: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Alley said, "In Thomas's memory-dream, they said "The Flare is rooted inside him." Does that mean he can cure it or is immune to it?"

I had forgotten about that comment. I'd probably lean to immunity and perhaps be key to the cure?

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 10

1) Wow. Talk about head games...this is crazy. What do you make of the whole new environment?Not sure what to think. I am not sure that where they are currently is a permanent place.

2) Was Teresa's mind erased? Will she be in a position to betray Thomas>I think it is safe to assume that her mind was erased or changed. I am not sure what is going to happen but it sounds like it is going to be crazy.

3) They're making Thomas a target? That must mean the two groups will come together. How in the world will they make one group kill someone from the other?I am thinking that is where Teresa is going to come in. It is going to have to be a pretty elaborate story though because they will have bonded over their shared experiences.

4) So I looked up the name Teresa Agnes and it is the name of Mother Teresa. What does that mean? I was thinking it would be a name attributed to some spy or someone. Hmm. I did not know that. I bet it has some sort of meaning that we will find out later.

I am confused on that part of the story myself. I think its going to be one of those where it ends up that the kids fight back in the end. One of those they mean well but its not really right things.

6) Thoughts on the first section we've read? Is anything puzzling you? I am puzzled by the Rat Guy at the desk. I am wondering if we are going to see him again.

7) I wonder how many levels there are to the trials? Will they ever be allowed to go free? Well I am assuming that since there is one more book after this one, it is possible that there are three. I don't think this is going to be more than a three book series.

message 17: by Parvathy (new)

Parvathy | 242 comments Oh!! I didn't know about this group read. Should have checked my notifications earlier. I want to join in. I already have the book but I am behind on two days reading. I will try and catch up.

message 18: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 11 - 19
I'm extremely tired, so I apologize ahead of time for any typing and grammar mistakes I may make.

8) Well, we now know why this book is named the Scorch Trials. The last book had a maze and this one has a scorched area of land for their second trials. This still reminds me of multiple Hunger Games.

9) Why would the creators starve the kids for 3 days and them feed them? Do you think they don't have a real grasp on the passage of time around them? That seemed like an awful long time to do without.

10) Big liquid silver balls that attach to peoples heads and kill them? Do you think it's death by eating or suffication?

11) What did you make of the Cranks?

12) So the name Flare for the disease, does it have something to do with the sun flares?

13) Tom seems to have a natural ability to figure out how to stop things. He did it with the grievers and again with the liquid silver balls. What do you make of this?

14) So it sounds like Aris and Rachel had a 'thing' before she was killed. Are you surprised?

15) So the girls may have passed through the Scorch area before the boys. Are you anxious to meet the new group?

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Questions for Chapters 11 - 19

8) Well, we now know why this book is named the Scorch Trials. The last book had a maze and this one has a scorched area of land for their second trials. This still reminds me of multiple Hunger Games.
It definitely has a Hunger Games feel. I'm enjoying it though.

9) Why would the creators starve the kids for 3 days and them feed them? Do you think they don't have a real grasp on the passage of time around them? That seemed like an awful long time to do without.
To wear them down. Make them more pliable.

10) Big liquid silver balls that attach to peoples heads and kill them? Do you think it's death by eating or suffication?
Eating maybe. Dissolving by burning or acid or something - with the added bonus of suffocation.

They seemed odd. Do the people in various stages of Flare live together or are they segregated?

12) So the name Flare for the disease, does it have something to do with the sun flares?
Maybe. It could be some previously undiscovered disease that only popped up after the flares killed the vegetation.

13) Tom seems to have a natural ability to figure out how to stop things. He did it with the grievers and again with the liquid silver balls. What do you make of this?
It's interesting. Maybe he remembers these things with without really knowing it. Or maybe he is just super brave.

14) So it sounds like Aris and Rachel had a 'thing' before she was killed. Are you surprised?
Not really. I am surprised they had time to form more of a relationship than Teresa and Thomas.

15) So the girls may have passed through the Scorch area before the boys. Are you anxious to meet the new group?
Yep. I wonder if they have tattoos - like "kills Thomas".

message 20: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Parvathy wrote: "Oh!! I didn't know about this group read. Should have checked my notifications earlier. I want to join in. I already have the book but I am behind on two days reading. I will try and catch up."

I probably should have put the link in with the news for June, but hadn't created it yet and wanted to get the other information out.

message 21: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:54PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Alley said, "To wear them down. Make them more pliable."

That could be. I once saw a show where they said cults tend to not let the people they recruit sleep enough so that they couldn't think for themselves any more thereby making it easier for the group to, in effect, think for them.

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Laura wrote: "Questions for Chapters 1 - 10

1) Wow. Talk about head games...this is crazy. What do you make of the whole new environment?Not sure what to think. I am not sure that where they are currently is a ..."

Can you imagine being manipulated so much anyone could appear to be your enemy or your friend? I think even if you endured the first trial, the second one could send you over the edge of sanity. It's like being thrown in one horror movie type environment and come out alive only to be sent into another.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Laura wrote: "Questions for Chapters 1 - 10

1) Wow. Talk about head games...this is crazy. What do you make of the whole new environment?Not sure what to think. I am not sure that where they are c..."

Your right, their resilience is amazing. If I was put into the same situation I would probably be a babbling idiot much like the cranks.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 11 - 19

I think that they are both similar in genre but that they have enough differences that they don't really seem too similar to me.

I think they were starved to prove a point and to see what their reactions were. It sounds like the creators are very interested in how they react to everything. I am wondering if its because they have been infected with the virus but have not shown signs of turning into cranks.

The description makes it sound like it eats away at their flesh and some how decapitates them. It sounded really disgusting and I nearly threw up at the description.

I am wondering how the sun flares affected their brains. It sounds like they go mad from the heat or something.

It sure sounds like it does.

It sounds like he is not afraid to take charge. All of the other kids seem to have a problem with shock and not knowing how to react. I think that makes Thomas look like he knows how to handle everything.

Not really. It sounds like their relationship was much the same as Thomas and Teresa's. I think that they also had a relationship in which they felt more for each other than just friendship.

15) So the girls may have passed through the Scorch area before the boys. Are you anxious to meet the new group?I am interested to see what is going to happen when they meet.

message 25: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 08, 2012 07:09PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 20 - 29

16) So it sounds like Teresa remembers Thomas. She tells him to go and he says his memories came back. Do you believe there was a trap lying in wait for them?

17) Since we now know Thomas can communicate with someone other than Teresa, do you think that is why Teresa attempted to cut off the mental conversations with him? Could somebody else intercept them?

18) They are down to 11 Gladers, possibly less by the end of Chapter 29. I wonder who exactly is left. Is the new kid still alive? Could he be a spy?

19) Anyone else start thinking of the Stop, Drop, & Roll when the lightening started setting people on fire? I truly hope this is all some sort of simulated program the kids are in.

20) What do you make of Brenda and Jorge?

21) Do you think Thomas should have been the leader? Do you think the tattoos were just to manipulate people into roles Wicked wanted them to be in? I think someone might have suggested this before.

22) Do you believe there is a cure or are they just messing with the kids?

23) From what I've heard of solar flares they could definitely create a disaster on earth. I kind of like the fact this book has a plausible 'end of world' scenario and it sites it. In some stories I'm left wondering what happened.

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Questions for Chapters 20 - 29

16) So it sounds like Teresa remembers Thomas. She tells him to go and he says his memories came back. Do you believe there was a trap lying in wait for them?
I think so. She wanted him to run for a reason.

17) Since we now know Thomas can communicate with someone other than Teresa, do you think that is why Teresa attempted to cut off the mental conversations with him? Could somebody else intercept them?
Oh I didn't think about that. I wonder.

18) They are down to 11 Gladers, possibly less by the end of Chapter 29. I wonder who exactly is left. Is the new kid still alive? Could he be a spy?
I think he is still alive, don't think he is a spy though. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!

19) Anyone else start thinking of the Stop, Drop, & Roll when the lightening started setting people on fire? I truly hope this is all some sort of simulated program the kids are in.
That lightning was crazy. I don't think it was simulated, but I do believe it was not natural lightning.

Not sure yet. Brenda seems a bit odd. She's definitely not shy. Jorge is trying too hard to be a bad ass.

21) Do you think Thomas should have been the leader? Do you think the tattoos were just to manipulate people into roles Wicked wanted them to be in? I think someone might have suggested this before.
Thomas is a natural leader. Good theory about the tattoos. I didn't think of that.

I don't know yet. Maybe they are almost finished making a cure, but they need something that the kids will do in this phase to finish it.

23) From what I've heard of solar flares they could definitely create a disaster on earth. I kind of like the fact this book has a plausible 'end of world' scenario and it sites it. In some stories I'm left wondering what happened.
YES. Like with Legend, they never really stated what happened. I get so annoyed at that.

message 27: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 10, 2012 05:23PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapter 30-37

24) So Thomas go separated from the rest of the Gladers. That all seemed very strange to me. Did Brenda know about the distraction and decide to steal Thomas for herself?

25) The cranks in the cave sounded like Zombies. Yikes! I thought the metallic balls were going to come back.

26) The town seems to me like a demented version of the Wild West. What is your impression of it?

27) What do you make of all the signs saying Tom is the true leader?

28) The memory Tom had of overhearing things about the Betrayal...What do you make of it? What was all that about patterns? I'm still so confused. Does anyone have any ideas? What if the Betrayal doesn't happen? What if Tom was supposed to hook up with Brenda and he doesn't?

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Questions for Chapter 30-37

24) So Thomas go separated from the rest of the Gladers. That all seemed very strange to me. Did Brenda know about the distraction and decide to steal Thomas for herself?
Brenda is super odd. I think she's getting pretty close to the next stage of Flare. I bet she did take Thomas for herself. She knew about the signs and that he is the true leader - it's pretty common for people to latch onto leaders and others with power. Keeps them safer.

25) The cranks in the cave sounded like Zombies. Yikes! I thought the metallic balls were gong to come back.
Ugh, they were super creepy.

26) The town seems to me like a demented version of the Wild West. What is your impression of it?
I find it interesting that the people stay close to others at the same stage of Flare. You'd think that would make it easier to navigate, but Cranks are sneakier than you'd think.

I'm beginning to think that everything is staged - even Brenda and Jorge. I think we all knew he was the true leader anyway.

28) The memory Tom had of overhearing things about the Betrayal...What do you make of it? What was all that about patterns? I'm still so confused. Does anyone have any ideas? What if the Betrayal doesn't happen? What if Tom was supposed to hook up with Brenda and he doesn't?
I'm thinking that these trials are a way to test the progression of Flare in individuals that have had their brains messed with. Considering what Brenda said about Bliss - that it decreases brain activity to inhibit the spreading of the virus - think about this - all the Gladers have Flare and they are constantly being thrown into situations that force them to use their brains. Each Variable could be set to interact with different parts of the brain or something. If that were the case though, you'd think that all the adrenaline from being terrified/fleeing for their lives would interfere. Unless they are specifically testing the effect of adrenaline on the progression of the virus.

I don't know. I over think things sometimes.

As for the Betrayal, I think it does have something to do with just Thomas and Teresa. Maybe he betrays her with Brenda or she with someone else. I have a feeling it will be an emotional betrayal, not a physical one. But again, I'm probably wrong.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 20 - 29

16) So it sounds like Teresa remembers Thomas. She tells him to go and he says his memories came back. Do you believe there was a trap lying in wait for them?Yes, I think there is a trap and I think that Teresa cares about Thomas a lot and doesn't want to hurt him.

That is a very interesting theory. I think it could be completely possible. I also wonder if the more she communicates with him the more compelled she is to do whatever act it is that she is supposed to commit that will harm Thomas.

I am pretty sure the new kid would still be left. I feel like the author has a lot more in store for that character but I don't think he is a spy.

I did! Something makes me think that they are actually in the real world now. I don't know why but I do.

I don't really care for Jorge so far but that may change. I am not sure what I think of Brenda yet. She seems awfully cocky.

I think that the tattoos could be both. I think it is a way to play head games but I also think that they are what the creators want. I think Chuck got in the way of their original plans but I don't know for sure. I could be completely wrong.

I think that the creators don't have one...yet. I do however think that the kids going through all of these trials is a way to come up with one, as sick and twisted as it is. I think the creators are going about it the wrong way.

I do like how Dashner gives us a bit more background information. I agree with the fact that sun flares could actually happen and cause horrible problems and I like the fact that the author is using a plausible problem.

I am behind because I am trying to finish a library book before it is due tomorrow. I will try to catch up a bit tonight.

message 30: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 10, 2012 06:37PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Alley said, "I'm thinking that these trials are a way to test the progression of Flare in individuals that have had their brains messed with. Considering what Brenda said about Bliss - that it decreases brain activity to inhibit the spreading of the virus - think about this - all the Gladers have Flare and they are constantly being thrown into situations that force them to use their brains. Each Variable could be set to interact with different parts of the brain or something. If that were the case though, you'd think that all the adrenaline from being terrified/fleeing for their lives would interfere. Unless they are specifically testing the effect of adrenaline on the progression of the virus.

I don't know. I over think things sometimes.

As for the Betrayal, I think it does have something to do with just Thomas and Teresa. Maybe he betrays her with Brenda or she with someone else. I have a feeling it will be an emotional betrayal, not a physical one. But again, I'm probably wrong."

I think you may be on to something. It kind of reminds me of what some have described in one of the possible treatments of autism. They try to stimulate certain parts of the brain with certain activities in the hope it'll stimulate some portion they felt they weren't previously using. It's different from what we're seeing, but I think it kind of goes along with it but on a higher level.

I agree with the betrayal being an emotional one. We'll have to wait and see.

message 31: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Going to start reading today's section and then will post questions.

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for chapters 38 - 46

29) So the gang got back together and then Thomas got shot. What is the Berg? Is it truly what the hospital was named or did Jorge think Thomas was being transported somewhere else?

30) If the girls are supposed to kill Thomas, why did WICKED bother saving him? Could it be so the girls could finish him off?

31) Could all this trial and testing be to try to find the most pliable people to do WICKED's bidding? We keep hearing about candidates and trials and that sounds like terminology used for people being interviewed for a military position.

32) So the gun wasn't supposed to be used in the Scorch Trials, therefore leading us to believe the variables are all under tight control and everything is monitored. How do you suppose their spying on the group this time? Could people be the spies in this trial?

33) What do you make of Teresa? What could Thomas have supposedly done to her?

34) Do you think the girls will truly kill Thomas?

35) Are you surprised that the girls seem to be doing better then the boys in everything? Do you think their trials were exactly the same or do you think they were different? After all they were the ones asked to kill someone whereas the boys only had to get to a final destination.

36) Is there anything that is puzzling you at this point that I might not have mentioned?

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapter 30-37

24) So Thomas got separated from the rest of the Gladers. That all seemed very strange to me. Did Brenda know about the distraction and decide to steal Thomas for herself?
I wondered about that myself. I still don't think she is trustworthy.

25) The cranks in the cave sounded like Zombies. Yikes! I thought the metallic balls were going to come back.
It seems like their brain was a little more "there" than zombies, but it was all very strange. I didn't even think about the silver balls.

I thought it seemed very steampunk western gone bad, LOL. I am really liking this book so far. The setting is a lot grittier than the first book if that makes any sense.

I think it is another of their mind games and a way to make it more difficult for him to get out of the scorch. The creators must have known how all the cranks would react once they met Thomas.

I think the brain patterns are what they are talking about. It sounds like the only way to create a cure for the flare is something to do with brain patterns. I am not sure about much of anything else but I don't think that Thomas is meant to be with Brenda though.

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Questions for chapters 38 - 46

29) So the gang got back together and then Thomas got shot. What is the Berg? Is it truly what the hospital was named or did Jorge think Thomas was being transported somewhere else?
It seemed like a large flying transport - I bet they had all the stuff they needed onboard for Thomas's injury.

30) If the girls are supposed to kill Thomas, why did WICKED bother saving him? Could it be so the girls could finish him off?
They saved him because he was supposed to be killed by the girls - it's one of the Variables. These people are whacked in the head, seriously. I seriously hope there is a rational explanation for all the stuff they're putting these people through - something better than some mad scientists' theories.

31) Could all this trial and testing be to try to find the most pliable people to do WICKED's bidding? We keep hearing about candidates and trials and that sounds like terminology used for people being interviewed for a military position.
Maybe. Maybe they're calling them that so they won't get attached to any of them - like you're not supposed to name lab animals.

32) So the gun wasn't supposed to be used in the Scorch Trials, therefore leading us to believe the variables are all under tight control and everything is monitored. How do you suppose their spying on the group this time? Could people be the spies in this trial?
Satellites probably. Spies among the Cranks probably exist too - to progress the trials/variables if the Candidates go off track.

No idea - she's definitely stronger than WICKED thought she was though. Has to be to break through and "talk" to Thomas. I bet he supposedly did something violent - rape or beating - for her to justify her reaction to him now.

I bet they would if Teresa wasn't there to stop them - if Teresa wasn't part of the group, I wonder if they would have a reason to kill him - like did WICKED specifically tell them to kill the one named Thomas, or do they want to because of what he did to Teresa?

35) Are you surprised that the girls seem to be doing better then the boys in everything? Do you think their trials were exactly the same or do you think they were different? After all they were the ones asked to kill someone whereas the boys only had to get to a final destination.
They did have a little headstart - 3 days, I think. You'd think that since this is an experiment, they would have the same Variables. Maybe they decided to go a more emotional direction with the females and a physical direction with the males. This phase anyway - the girls had the same Maze experience as the boys.

36) Is there anything that is puzzling you at this point that I might not have mentioned?
Not that I can think of. So much is going on and nothing has really been explained! I wonder if the next book is available at the library.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for chapters 38 - 46

I think the berg is one of two things: 1. It is the vehicle they used to transport Thomas to get rid of the infection. 2. It is the name they have for WICKED and their facilities. I don't think it has anything to do with a hospital per se. I am not even sure that he was transported to a hospital, that doesn't sound like something these science organizations do.

I don't think the girls are truly supposed to save Thomas. I think it is just another mind game that the WICKED crew is putting the kids through. I am not sure though exactly what they want to happen.

I think it may have something to do with the cure but also something else. Maybe to help kill off all of those people that have the Flare? I don't know. It does seem to be a lot like a trial for Special Ops or something.

People being spies definitely sounds like an option. I am thinking though that it is some kind of high tech satellite system.

I don't know what to think of her anymore. I want to believe that she wouldn't really hurt Thomas but it seems kind of hard to believe now. I have no idea what he could have possibly done to her.

I think they are definitely capable of it, but I don't think they would go through with it. I am not sure that they won't help him in the end.

I am thinking that their trial had to be a bit different. I think that they also had a head start if I remember correctly. I am thinking that they are playing with the girls emotions and that they are checking the boys strength. Otherwise why would they have these two very different tasks. It sounds like the task is befitting of the reaction that WICKED is hoping to get.

I have so many questions right now but I can't pin one down because my mind is going a bit crazy.

message 36: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 11, 2012 06:55PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Alley said, "These people are whacked in the head, seriously. I seriously hope there is a rational explanation for all the stuff they're putting these people through - something better than some mad scientists' theories."

I am in total agreement with you.

Laura said, "I have so many questions right now but I can't pin one down because my mind is going a bit crazy."

Me too. I am so glad we didn't read this when it came out. It'd be awful to have to wait a year or so to read the next book.

message 37: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:06PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions/Comments for Chapters 47 - end

37) Gah! I remember a song that went something like, "This is the song that never ends. It goes on and on my fiends..." That is what this series seem like right now. I keep thinking we'll get answers and it keeps going on and on...

38) What did you think of the Betrayal? Do you think Thomas should have been more understanding? Should he forgive Teresa?

39) What do you make of the dream or was it a dream where Brenda could speak in his head? Are things going to go very bad for Tom? Will he be treated like a lab rat?

40) Why do you think they separated Thomas from the others?

41) What the heck is the Swipe?

42) What did you make of the last attack and who got killed?

43) Overall thoughts, questions, etc on the book?

FYI there is a third book and a Prequel is coming out in August.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions/Comments for Chapters 47 - end

37) Gah! I remember a song that went something like, "This is the song that never ends. It goes on and on my fiends..." That is what this series seem like right now. I keep thinking we'll get answers and it keeps going on and on...
It is irritating and yet good at the same time. Irritating because I want the answers and good because it gives me something to look forward to when I read the third book.

38) What did you think of the Betrayal? Do you think Thomas should have been more understanding? Should he forgive Teresa?
I think as much as I would like to say that I would be able to forgive her, I think it would be extremely difficult. I can't blame him for having all of these doubts in his head.

39) What do you make of the dream or was it a dream where Brenda could speak in his head? Are things going to go very bad for Tom? Will he be treated like a lab rat?
I have been surprised before when reading this book so I am not sure. I think that Brenda was a part of it from the beginning but I don't know about the things being bad for Tom.

It seems like he has been the "special" one this entire time. I am thinking that they are going to have some other special trial for him.

I think it is going to be where they get all of their memories back, but I could be wrong.

I don't think anyone got killed that we actually knew from the books. I thought it was crazy and I keep trying to get a visual of these bulb creatures.

I like it a lot. I like how it gets my brain going like a good mystery. I am looking forward to the next book.

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Questions/Comments for Chapters 47 - end

The third book had better be chock full of answers.

I was let down a little actually. I thought it would be more than making out with Aris and throwing Thomas in a box or whatever. I think he might, but not right off.

That was so confusing. I think maybe it was just a dream this time - replacing Teresa with Brenda since he is so cross with Teresa at the moment. No idea what will happen to Thomas now. Don't think he will be a lab rat though.

Not sure. I don't think it was the Flare like they claimed.

I'm fairly certain it's the memory thing - taking or replacing memories.

It was interesting. Who thinks up these creatures? Big slug things with robot parts and now humanoids with light bulbs. So weird. I don't think any named Glader was killed - we only knew a handful of names anyway.

I'm really enjoying this series. Weather permitting, I'll head to the library for the third tomorrow. I have to know how this ends.

Ashley Reading Stewardess | 30 comments Started reading this one before it was announced this would be our series read. Am really enjoying it though.

message 41: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Wouldn't mind reading this with a group. Maybe after the new Maze Runner Buddy Read is over?

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim Jex wrote: "Wouldn't mind reading this with a group. Maybe after the new Maze Runner Buddy Read is over?"

I will read it with you! I am planning on reading this one right after I finish the Maze Runner Buddy Read.

message 43: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll eventually set this one up as I did for The Maze Runner.

Cathie (catitude) | 999 comments I'll read this one after Maze Runner. Would love to share thoughts with everyone :-)

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim Cathie wrote: "I'll read this one after Maze Runner. Would love to share thoughts with everyone :-)"

I am planning on reading this one after Maze Runner too. I wonder if we should pick a date so those that want to join can start looking for the book. The Maze Runner will be over on the 12th, so maybe take a few days off and then start on the 16th or 17th?

What does everyone think?

message 46: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments How many of you who are reading this series are reading some of the other books? We have The Casual Vacancy and Reached coming up too. One on the 22nd and one on the 20th?

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim Lisarenee wrote: "How many of you who are reading this series are reading some of the other books? We have The Casual Vacancy and Reached coming up too. One on the 22nd and one on the 20th?"

I am planning on reading The Casual Vacancy. I will read Reached if I can finish the first two books by the 20th. I am rereading the first one now. Are you thinking we should do The Scorch Trials later in the month or in December? When do you think you will do the third book?

message 48: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I will most likely be doing neither as I'm far down the list of library holds. Alas this book came in today so I might start it early although I have to finish reading another book first and we all know I read slow.

Cathie (catitude) | 999 comments I'm going to be reading Ready Player One and Casual Vacancy. I'm currently reading Seraphina and an advance ARC, which I will hopefully be done with before starting Maze Runner!!. I usually like to read one book straight through, but they all seem to be overlapping each other. I'm ok if we want to the Scorched Trials in December. (Although I am very stoked about The Name of the Wind, our December read!! - an excellent book!)

Cathie (catitude) | 999 comments I finished Maze Runner and love it! I'm ready for the Scorched Trials, just have to get the book. Let me know what you all decide on when to we want to start reading this one :-).

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Scorch Trials (other topics)
Legend (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Dashner (other topics)