Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in June 2012?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Let us know what you're reading this month!

message 2: by Candiss (last edited Jun 10, 2012 08:04PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments This is my queue for the month:

Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1) by Saladin Ahmed The Lifecycle of Software Objects by Ted Chiang The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach Palimpseste by Charles Stross Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
Still working on Children of God, sequel to The Sparrow. I'm also in the middle of The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way by Bill Bryson, which I'm finding very interesting. On a field trip today with my 8th graders we visited the Alcott House, which made me want to re-read Little Women for the umpteenth time, so I'll probably do that next!

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments I've already started Throne of the Crescent Moon as my first June book. Other than that I need to finish up a bunch of books before I get cracking on the million books I want to read this month.

message 6: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Jim wrote: "Currently reading Surface Detail. Finishing up The Frigates an account of the lighter warships of the Napoleonic wars by James Henderson CBE and A Touch of Genius the life of T E Lawrence by Malcol..."

I greatly enjoyed Cloud's Rider, and very curious to see how you fare with it.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Janny wrote: "I greatly enjoyed Cloud's Rider, and very curious to see how you fare with it."

Rider at the Gate was quite enjoyable. Well formed characters, a challenging story. One that compelled me to keep turning the pages. So it's a no-brainer to get into the sequel. I did write a review of the first tale:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 31 comments I'm either reading or plannng to read the following in June.

Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1) by Saladin Ahmed Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) by Anthony Ryan Under the Dome by Stephen King

Maybe some others as well but that will keep this "slow reader" busy.

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen I can't read Throne of the Crescent Moon as it isn't released in the UK until Jan 2013. I'm reading Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan for a local reading group. Then:
Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3) by Mira Grant due out Thursday, The Dragon Keeper (Rain Wild Chronicles, #1) by Robin Hobb and probably the two sequels.

message 10: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3153 comments Mod
I'm reading War of Honor right now. Then I plan to read The Great Hunt and maybe To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Someplace I saw that To Say Nothing of the Dog "follows" The Doomsday Book. Is it important that I read that first?

message 11: by Nikita (new)

Nikita (nikita42) Kathi wrote: "I'm reading War of Honor right now. Then I plan to read The Great Hunt and maybe To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Someplace I saw that To Say Nothing of the Dog "follows" The Doomsday Book. Is it import..."

They take place in the same world and have a few of the same characters, but are completely stand alone.

message 12: by Viv (new)

Viv JM I've just picked up The Killing Moonfrom the library today, so going to start with that.

Then I *will* get around to reading The Mists of Avalon!

message 13: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Kathi wrote: "I'm reading War of Honor right now. Then I plan to read The Great Hunt and maybe To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Someplace I saw that To Say Nothing of the Dog "follows" The Doomsday Book. Is it import..."

I read To Say Nothing first, quite some time ago (actually, it was a discussion for the old Amazon boards!) and Doomsday Book years later (last month!). They're pretty independent of one another and TOTALLY different, even though they both deal with time travel from the same institution.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments Michael wrote: "I'm either reading or plannng to read the following in June.

Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1) by Saladin Ahmed Blood Song (Blood Singer, #1) by Cat Adams Under the Dome by Stephen King

Maybe some others as well but that will keep..."

I think it's funny that someone on Goodreads who reads 3 books a month may be considered a "slow reader", yet most people don't even read 3 books a year.

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I have been having a hard time getting into anything. So I am shelving 1610 A sundial in a Grave. Its not bad but I am just not getting into it.
So I am attempting to read something lighter for the next couple of books....kinda cleansing the pallet

So reading some eighth doctor
The Ancestor Cell

message 16: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Nikita wrote: "They take place in the same world and have a few of the same characters, but are completely stand alone. "

Thanks for the info. I have Doomsday book on my shelf, too, but since I'm already so far behind, I didn't want to take time to read it first since I'm not even sure I'll get to To Say Nothing of the Dog.

message 17: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Jenny wrote: "I think it's funny that someone on Goodreads who reads 3 books a month may be considered a "slow reader", yet most people don't even read 3 books a year. "

Since my reading goal is to average a book a week, I guess I'd be considered slow by this group's standards but an absolute reading freak by lots of people. Of course, most of my friends are readers, too, even if their taste in genres is different from mine.

message 18: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Guess I am a slow poke too, I read maybe a book every two weeks. Most of my reading is down a half hour to an hour before bed.
As Jenny said, most people I know don't read all that much. My kids read but rarely and only if its extremely interesting to them. My ex-wife read only once in a while. Average maybe a book a year

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen My teaching colleague said he thought reading around 5 a year was good. I was quite shocked.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 31 comments Jenny wrote: I think it's funny that someone on Goodreads who reads 3 books a month may be considered a "slow reader", yet most people don't even read 3 books a year."

Well I didn't say I would get them all "read" this month. I've actually been on "Under the Dome for several months. I do usually finish a few books a months but by many people at goodreads clips that is very slow.

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments I'm reading A Princess of Mars. I guess I was one of the few people who actually really liked the movie. I'm enjoying the book, but I miss the humor and the kick-assness of the princess that the movie had.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Jenny, if you decide you're going to read the second Barsoom book, make sure you have the third available. There's a bad cliff hanger at the end of the second.

message 23: by Ken (last edited Jun 05, 2012 06:37PM) (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Jenny wrote: "I'm reading A Princess of Mars. I guess I was one of the few people who actually really liked the movie. "
Whats odd is everyone I talk to who has seen it enjoyed it.

Jim wrote: "Jenny, if you decide you're going to read the second Barsoom book, make sure you have the third available. There's a bad cliff hanger at the end of the second."
Thanks for the heads up.

message 24: by Banner (new)

Banner | 46 comments Jenny wrote: "I'm reading A Princess of Mars. I guess I was one of the few people who actually really liked the movie. I'm enjoying the book, but I miss the humor and the kick-assness of the princess that the mo..."

Hey I liked the movie too.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I'm currently reading Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts. It's the 2d half of the 2d book in her War of Light & Shadow series. In paperback, it's a separate book, but it & Ships Of Merior were published as one book in HB.

Anyway, I got away from the series for a while with other commitments & just got back on. Wow. The writing is so much better than the average that it's amazing. So many authors now write as sloppily as they speak, but Janny fits every word with precision. It's very cool. Good fantasy, too.

message 26: by Helen (new)

Helen I enjoyed the John Carter movie too.

message 27: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Jim, poke your head into our old Warhost discussion and add your two cents there - would love to hear your thoughts on some of the more spoiler-y sections! :)

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine | 594 comments I just finished In the Company of Otherswhich I quite enjoyed; I appreciated it was a single volume story. I'll find a few more of hers to read. Now I'm about to read Agent of Change which I finally found in a digital format

message 29: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments

I just started In Joy Still Felt The Autobiography of Isaac Asimov, 1954-1978 by Isaac Asimov.

On deck:
Buy Jupiter and Other Stories by Isaac Asimov To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1) by Saladin Ahmed Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

message 30: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Armstrong (charmstr) | 3 comments I'm reading Kim Stanley Robinson's new book, 2312. I started reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making but had to stop. In the past, I've always found that particular arch fairytale writing style entertaining, but for some reason it just made me impatient this time around. I'll get back to it at some point. I have the final volume of Edmund Morris's Roosevelt biography, Colonel Roosevelt, waiting for me and now, thanks to this thread, I have to find Bill Bryson's book on the English language. (Thanks for that!)

message 31: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I finished Children of God, and though I'm glad I read it, I don't think it measured up to The Sparrow. Now I'm re-reading Little Women for nostalgia's sake and for something requiring very little thought; it's the last week of school and with 94 antsy 8th graders to corral I am a Shel of Very Little Brain at the moment. Just get me through these next 5 days...

message 32: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Finished my Little Women re-read and now I'm on to something COMPLETELY different, In Cold Blood, which I've been meaning to read for years. It's scarily fascinating. After that's done I'll probably be back to something speculative, not sure what. School's out - WOOO!

message 33: by Helen (new)

Helen I want school to be out!!!! I have 5 weeks and then a training day, sob. Finished the last part of Mira Grant's trilogy today, Blackout. Excellent.

message 34: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 84 comments I'm currently in the middle of the Honor Harrington series;Ashes of Victory, to be specific.

I plan to read the entire Honorverse collection (minus the technical guides), which will take me clear into July.

message 35: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished The Ancestor Cell, a Doctor Who novel. Relied on way to many previous incidences in previous books. It overcame what was a pretty good Who book

Started in on Swords of the Horseclans

message 36: by Kammera (new)

Kammera | 27 comments I just finished Robopocalypse and am starting Insurgent(Divergent) and will pick up another Daniel Wilson book called Amped!

message 37: by Kammera (new)

Kammera | 27 comments Oh and I too am one of the few who loved John Carter, the movie! of course, my dad trotted out his ORIGINAL series of all those Edgar Rice Burroughs books! Boy, they sure were yellowed with age but perfectly readable! The cover art is dated and a little cheesy but cool to have!

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments Jim wrote: "Jenny, if you decide you're going to read the second Barsoom book, make sure you have the third available. There's a bad cliff hanger at the end of the second."

Thanks for the heads up! I think I probably will read more of the series at some point.

While I was camping last week I finished
A Princess of Mars and Throne of the Crescent Moon. I also read The Creatures That Time Forgot and The Windup Girl. I'm now reading Sharp Teeth.

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments After finishing a Delany "Sci-Fi", Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders, I'm escaping into Reap the Wild Wind book 1 of the Stratification series by Julie E. Czerneda

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura Jaq wrote: "I'm reading a non-fiction plus Zoo City and Night Watch, hoping to finish those off and start Srae Iss-Ka-Mala before the month is out."

Hi, I've got Zoo City on my list of 'must read sometime soons' - are you enjoying it?

(I'm currently reading The Midnight Mayor by Kate Griffin. I believe this group read A Madness of Angels, the first in that series, at some point. I think... I'm new to the group.)

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I just finished Warhost of Vastmark. Wow, what a ride. Janny is a seriously good writer & this series is just mind blowing, if you're into epic fantasy. My review is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 42: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I'm reading Changer of Worlds so I can read Crown of Slaves so I can read At All Costs. Whew!

message 43: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 84 comments Kathi wrote: "I'm reading Changer of Worlds so I can read Crown of Slaves so I can read At All Costs. Whew!"

:) Enjoy! I'm looking forward to getting there. I'm still reading Ashes of Victory. I hope to finish this weekend.

message 44: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I just blazed through Naamah's Blessing in two days. Yeah summer vacation! Next up I think I'll try one of the classics I downloaded free on my brand new Kindle, my present to myself for surviving my first school year as a working mom.

message 45: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished with Swords of the Horseclans. Much better than the first book
Started in on Mistborn: The Final Empire
Seems quite interesting

message 46: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I just finished False Covenant, second book in a fun YA series by Ari Marmell. (Watch for my review on Tor.com next week!) Next up, I think I'll crack open my ARC of the new K.J. Parker novel Sharps, which looks very promising. Also have a couple of great-looking short story collections lined up: At the Mouth of the River of Bees: Stories by Kij Johnson, and the career retrospective The Woman Who Married a Cloud: Collected Stories by Jonathan Carroll. As usual, I have too many good books, and not enough time.

message 47: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments I'm reading The Stratification series by Julie E. Czerneda.

This is a wonderful hard SF/Space Opera crossover reminiscent of CJ Cherryh and Hal Clement

message 48: by Banner (new)

Banner | 46 comments Started Half Way Home.

message 49: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Reading King Hereafter, which is Dorothy Dunnett's retelling of the Macbeth story. I'm not very far in yet, but it's wonderful as all her other books so far!

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Shel wrote: "Reading King Hereafter, which is Dorothy Dunnett's retelling of the Macbeth story. I'm not very far in yet, but it's wonderful as all her other books so far!"

Oh god, I loved that book! I do admit to skimming some of the genealogy stuff though. I was devastated for days when I finished.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.