Shut Up & Read discussion

Archived BOTM > June BotM Contest!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Jun 04, 2012 07:15AM) (new)

Sheri | 12354 comments Mod
June BotM Contest!

The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4) by Julie Kagawa Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake

WHAT TO DO:
Thanks to Alyssia for helping me come up with the idea for this month's contest!

Part I:
This month we are playing Quess The Quote! In post #2 of this thread (right below this one) there is a list of quotes taken from all three of this month's books. You need to tell me which quote is from which book. Don't post your answers in this thread! Message your answers to me HERE.

Everyone who messages me with their answers will get their name in the drawing! If you have all the quotes correct, you will get a bonus entry!

Part II:
Pick one of the quotes below and tell us here in this thread why you like it and what it means to you...don't give away what book it's from!

So, you can get a total of 3 entries into this month's drawing! You can play Part I, Part II, or both!

WHAT YOU WIN:
The winner of this contest will win a copy of one of July's books of the month in the format of your choice (ebook, paperback, hardcover).

I will pick one winner using Random.org on June 30.

Good luck!!

OTHER RULES:
There is no age limit. HOWEVER, you must get permission to participate from a parent or guardian if you are under 18! If you win and choose a physical book I will need your mailing address, so ASK FIRST!

This is international, so go ahead and enter!

message 2: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited May 31, 2012 08:51PM) (new)

Here are the quotes. Send me a message HERE telling me which of the three books they belong to. Get a bonus entry for getting all 6 correct!

Have fun and good luck!

The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4) by Julie Kagawa Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake

1. “You make me want things I can't have.”

2. “It's always nice being wanted. Even if it's by the wrong person.”

3. “My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl.”

4. “But I don't want to be fine, not if it means she's going to let go of my hand; not if it means we're going to go back to being polite strangers.”

5. “Yes. Smashing. You’ll be just like those four chaps in the movie. You know the one, with the oversized marshmallow.”

6. “I will be with her again, or I will die. There aren’t any other options”

message 3: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Jun 30, 2012 01:06PM) (new)

Who's playing?
Kari x 2
Julissa x 2
Addie R. x 2
Tawna x 3
Fatma x 2
Anastasia x 3
Antoinette x 3
Tiffany x 2
Annabel x 3
Elise x 3
Minnie x 3
Rachel x 3
Rebecka x 2
Alyssia x 3

message 4: by Kari (last edited Jun 01, 2012 10:01AM) (new)

Kari I will play! Email sent. I will post part II later. Want to see if I can get one of the 2 I haven't read done.

message 5: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Got your message Kari...And you got them all right :)

message 6: by Kari (new)

Kari Sheri wrote: "Got your message Kari...And you got them all right :)"

Yahoo!!!!

message 7: by Julissa (new)

Julissa (ta2kitty) | 35 comments I'm in too...Yay!

message 8: by Addie R. (new)

Addie R. (addiecupcakez) Just sent it!

message 9: by Elise (new)

Elise (redentrapy) | 246 comments Only read one of the books. Once I read the other two I'll play also.

message 10: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Elise wrote: "Only read one of the books. Once I read the other two I'll play also."

You can probably get them without reading the other two, but you have all month :)

message 11: by Tawna (new)

Tawna | 479 comments For Part 2 of this months, I am choosing the quote "You make me want things I can't have"

Yes I have read this book, but I don't want to give it away because of part 1 of the challenge so I will just say that once you know the book and who says it then it makes perfect sense. It's tragic and heartbreaking and you wish things were different.

I was in the military at one point and my best girl friend was getting stationed across the country and I wanted our friendship to never change or grow or possibly end and I couldn't make that happen, no control over where we were stationed (we are still friends, 6 years later, but I have not seen her). Even looking at this quote from maybe not as literal word for word, there are things in life that you may want but are bad for you or possibly illegal (underage drinking, my cousin turned of age before me and damn if i didn't want to be drinking with her and couldn't.....legally). This quote sticks with me for some reason, I could put it into so many more contexts. Also, from the book it came from...it was just so damn sad!

message 12: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Jun 04, 2012 07:16AM) (new)

⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ wrote: "Yes I have read this book, but I don't want to give it away because of part 1 of the challenge so I will just say that once you know the book and who says it then it makes perfect sense. It's tragic and heartbreaking and you wish things were different."

I didn't even think of that...good call! I amended the instructions to not give away the book :)

message 13: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia | 373 comments For Part II

My quote would be “It's always nice being wanted. Even if it's by the wrong person.” Mostly because it's true. if your wanted by someone it gives you a reason to live, a reason to keep going. if you don't have that reason to keep going then you find your self giving up. in school many times i feel as if i'm not wanted or that no one would care if i'm gone. but then after the day is done and my family tells me that they love me, it makes things alright again and although it would be nice if my classmates would actually see me, it's not worth wasting my time and energy thinking about it because someday and though it might not be soon, they will regret not giving me a chance. that is what this quote means to me.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 23 comments Oh, this sounds fun! Only I read Iron Knight as an audio book before reading the contest. That makes this a little difficult, especially since I just finished. Darn, I'll have to pay more attention to the others to make up for it.

message 15: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette (nette09) “It's always nice being wanted. Even if it's by the wrong person.”

Growing up, I always wanted a certain level of appreciation or some form of emotional care from my mother. I am older now but I still want that from her. Instead, I get all of that from my mother-in-law, the calling to see if I needed anything or just to chat everyday. The many advises about caring for my children and being a wife should have been given to me from my mother, but it wasn't. I am thankful that I still get the love and affection from someone that makes me feel wanted.

message 16: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Thanks for sharing Antoinette :)

message 17: by Elise (new)

Elise (redentrapy) | 246 comments My part two is “But I don't want to be fine, not if it means she's going to let go of my hand; not if it means we're going to go back to being polite strangers.” You see when I was younger. I fell in love with my best friend and I didn't want to loose that friendship to make things worse she was a girl and people were not as open about gays as they are now. She found out and it didn't go well. All I could think was god I wish we could be friends again. Instead of without her at all. Now we are still the best of friends and she turned out to be the lesbian and I'm the straight one. It's weird how these things work huh..?

message 18: by Annabel (new)

Annabel (scifibookaddict) | 9 comments My part 2 is “You make me want things I can't have.” This quote just really hits home for me, as I think about people who have inspired me to try and do better and set goals I would never have considered before. But there's also a kind of sense that it's wasted energy because for the moment they're just way beyond my reach and might as well be things like 'I want to fly to mars' or 'I want to discover the fountain of youth!!' At some point I have to put aside the books face reality, and the reality is there are a heck of a lot of things that I just can't have.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in I just send you the e-mail

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

“You make me want things I can't have.”

I like this quote because it makes me reflect on my life and see that in my youthful ignorance I thought I could have it all.

I've being with my husband since I was 14 and because we had being together it seemed right to get married. At age 19 I was a married woman, at 20 I was a pregnant woman, at 21 I was a mother. Two years latter I was a mother again and now everything I thought I could have is slipping away.

My husband wants a divorce and to take my children with him and it makes me appreciate the time we were young and naive and we had all...

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 63 comments Sent message for Part I.

message 22: by Rebecka (new)

Rebecka I sent you the answers for Part I

message 23: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I got you both :)

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 63 comments Part II
My favorite quote is “You make me want things I can't have.” It reminds me of my husband. He can always tell when I want something from the store, even if I don't say anything. Then, he will insist I buy it or he won't say anything and just buy it for me. He is like that about my work too. Always pushing me to do the things I don't think I can, even when it means leaving TDY or to school for 4 months.

message 25: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) Part 2 is hard! I guess I'd much rather talk about the quotes in the context of the book than my own life. Books are so much more interesting. But here goes:
4. “But I don't want to be fine, not if it means she's going to let go of my hand; not if it means we're going to go back to being polite strangers.”

Hmm, so a few weeks ago I had to go out of state for a bit because my grandmother died. When I returned home my husband confessed to something that happened while I was gone. Although I have "forgiven" him, I cannot seem to remove the barrier that has sprouted between us, but I'm the one that put the barrier there. He allows the barrier, but he makes it clear that it can come down whenever I am alright with it. So, it's very strange, because things are "fine" but we don't feel close - and I'm the one who said I needed time, but I hate feeling so distant from him, like polite strangers. I keep reaching to touch him and then remembering that I don't want to. It's very strange.
-
I guess that is what this quote makes me think of. We're "fine," but that's really not good enough for me.

message 26: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I will be drawing the winner tonight :)

After that feel free to discuss the quotes within the context of the book!

message 27: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

The winner for June is Addie!!

Congratulations!

message 28: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Jun 30, 2012 11:14PM) (new)

Here are the answers:

1. “You make me want things I can't have.”
Anna Dressed in Blood

2. “It's always nice being wanted. Even if it's by the wrong person.”
Forbidden

3. “My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl.”
Iron Knight

Forbidden

5. “Yes. Smashing. You’ll be just like those four chaps in the movie. You know the one, with the oversized marshmallow.”
Anna Dressed in Blood

6. “I will be with her again, or I will die. There aren’t any other options”
Iron Night

message 29: by Tawna (new)

Tawna | 479 comments Sheri wrote: "The winner for June is Addie!!

Congratulations!"

Congrats Addie!!!