Start by marking “Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  84,492 Ratings  ·  9,181 Reviews
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. They follow legends and local lore, destroy the murderous dead, and keep p
Hardcover, First Edition, 316 pages
Published October 17th 2011 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Anna Dressed in Blood, please sign up.
Sophie I have read both the Diviners and this, and personally, I think that the diviners was more scary. I love them both so much! This is such a good read,…moreI have read both the Diviners and this, and personally, I think that the diviners was more scary. I love them both so much! This is such a good read, give it a try!(less)
Sophie It is said that there will be a movie, which will be directed by stephanie meyer. Yes, that stephanie meyer. For more information there is a website…moreIt is said that there will be a movie, which will be directed by stephanie meyer. Yes, that stephanie meyer. For more information there is a website about it, here is the link: http://booksaredelicious.com/2014/04/...(less)

karen
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing

a million stars for anna dressed in awesome.

i was so hoping to be scared by this book. the way i was hoping to cry reading a monster calls. and it is fine that i wasn't and that i didn't - apparently i have no discernible human emotional response except an ability to become enthusiastic over well-written prose. and that's enough, for a life.

i don't even care that this book wasn't scary - it was so fun, and that is usually all i need to be riveted. did it have flaws? sure! were there things in th
Wendy Darling
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Recommended to Wendy Darling by: Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Have you ever stood in your house, listening to a quiet, unfamiliar noise, and felt the hair rise on the back of your neck? Cas Lowood has, and the unholy hell of what he finds when he investigates will make you jump a little bit in your seat. He's a 17-year-old who kills the dead with a magic athame, just as his father did before him--and now he's faced with the task of killing Anna, a homicidal ghost who was murdered more than 60 years ago.

Cas is a fantastically strong and appealing protagonis
Kat Kennedy
I don't believe in ghosts. I don't believe in Ouji boards, aliens, loch ness monsters, abominable snowmen, poltergeists, republicans or any of that other stuff.

My little brother makes me watch those ghost hunter documentaries (I'm using that term lightly) and tries to show me the DARN FACTS, DAMNIT KATE! WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THEY'RE REAL?

Funny how he believes in ghosts but not the continued statistical evidence that indicates women still suffer from inequality and, yes little brother, even in
Steph Sinclair
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like ghosts, I guess
Recommended to Steph by: Loads of GoodReads friends

Don't forget to check out the epic interview story with Kendare Blake over at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog!

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Sometimes you read books that are visibly bad. So bad, in fact, that they make you want to throw yourself head first out a window, but you keep on reading and reading. You might even feel yourself losing your will to live about halfway through. But somehow, by the end of the book, you end up liking it anyway because it entertained you. The badness was just that entertaini
Navessa
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'M ABOUT TO SPAM THE SHIT OUT OF YOU WITH SUPERNATURAL SHENANNIGANS. SO IF GIF-HAPPY REVIEWS AREN'T YOUR THING, LOOK AWAY NOW.

I picked this up for one reason and one reason alone.

This past week, I had the plague - given to me by a yet unidentified coworker. (view spoiler) During my many days off, I decided to distract myself from the threat of exorcist-style spray painting my bedroom by binge-watching Supernatural.

Best. Decision.
Stephen
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, ya, ghosts, horror, ebooks
Oh Anna…you strong, saucy, serial-killing, ripping-bodies-in-two “ghostess with the mostess”…where have you been all my life?

This book is a few menu items to the right of my normal literary diet and so I want extend a warm thank you to my YA sommeliers, Emily May, Wendy Darling and Maja, for turning me on to this. You took right and proper care of me with this recommendation, and while I couldn’t quite bring myself to give away the 4th star, I did find mucho to enjoy about this novel plan to gr
Katerina
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dear Kendare Blake,

Sincerely,

A girl who never sleeps with the lights off.

Before I jump into raving about this deliciously creepy book, I have to give you some backround details. I don't do horror. The only exception to my stay-away-from-things-that-will-disturb-your-beauty-sleep rule is the summer I spent binge-watching Supernatural, and let's just say that my motivations to start this series were far from noble.

Yes, I am that shallow. But the thing is, after the first few nights I couldn't look
Ana
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-reads, fantasy
4.5 Anna Stars

photo 1febe98a27627a9fc0c9cc02477bbb85.jpg_zpscebiiiav.gif

I'm not going to write a long review. There's really no need. Anna Dressed in Blood is New York Times bestselling author Kendare Blake's most compelling story yet, and most reviews rate it as excellent. Those facts speak for themselves and there really is nothing to say other than to echo the praise of previous reviewers.

I shall say only one thing. Read it if you haven't already.

photo tumblr_mw9pn9zStX1sfhksto1_500_zps7v694mkt.gif
Emily May
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2011, horror

Anna Dressed in Blood was a surprisingly good read. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, something typical of young adult urban fantasy perhaps... same old characters, lots of romancing, maybe even an interesting little mystery to give the book some semblance of plot if we're lucky. I was really quite pleased with this exciting, slightly spooky, and wholly entertaining start to the series.

I cannot stress highly enough how glad I am that Kendare Blake wrote a romance that was gradually in
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story.

Not many authors can scare you to death by eliciting vivid, gruesome imagery and, at the same time, take your breath away with sheer beauty of their prose. I never expected Kendare Blake to be one of those authors – that’s why her book took me completely by surprise. It was very different from what I thought it would be. When I choose a book based on a beautiful cover and an intriguing title (and yes, I really AM that shallow),
Penny
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First off, I feel I should discuss the cover art: I know, I know--everyone loves this cover. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for me. Look, I stopped being fooled wowed by cover art after reading Fallen. That's a lie--the cover for the third Paranormalcy book makes me ridiculously happy, but at least I'm fairly certain I'll like that book since I like the first two books in the series.

In my opinion the following would have made a better cover for Anna Dressed In Blood:

Carrie,Prom Queen,Anna Dressed in Blood,They're All Gonna Laugh
Infinitely better, do
Shannon
I'm the first to admit that when something is hyped I give it the ol' stink-eye, and I very rarely enjoy something that's popular or that everyone and their brother tells me I'll like. I pounced on this book before the "ZOMG YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!!1!" crazy train rolled into the station, and I'm really glad I did. This is one of those rare instances where everybody likes a book because it's actually good.

I guess I wasn't paying much attention at first glance, mostly to avoid spoilers, but I was
Megs ♥
Oct 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Megs ♥ by: Heidi

Ughh. The first half of this book I would say was a solid 4/5. The second half, unfortunately, put me to sleep. 3/5 stars I guess to balance it out, but right now I feel that is even generous.

When I went into this book I had zero expectations. I think ghosts are cool, and I was really just looking for something super creepy, because that was what I was in the mood for. I didn't even really have anything to compare this to, because I haven't read very many ghost books and have never watched any
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

RIGHT OFF THE BAT WITH THE GHOSTY ACTION! :) WOOT!

Theseus Cassio Lowood (Cas) is a ghost hunter just like his father. His father unfortunately was killed by a ghost so Cas has made it his mission to walk in his father's footsteps. Right off the bat he kills a ghost people called the Hiker because this ghost is killing people because he himself was murdered. Since this can't be happening, Cas kills them with his father's athame knife.

Cas and his mom move
Catie
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, read-in-2011, ya
2 stars

Ho hum. I hate it when this happens. You guys are all inside having a party with roasted chestnuts and hot cider and giant booming laughs and I am out here on a frigid winter’s night peering in through the frosty glass. (Oh yes. I am that dramatic.) But melodrama aside, I hate being the one to dislike something that everyone else loves. I’m sure we’ve all been here a time or two and it’s never fun. I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this one, but I am willing to admit that it may be be
Mario
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-read
But hey, at least we’ll have this strange story to tell, love and death and blood and daddy-issues. And holy crap, I’m a psychiatrist’s wet dream.

This book was so much better than I expected it to be. I expected a classic YA romance ghost story, but I got so much more. Surprisingly, romance played a small part in this novel, and that was refreshing to read. And none of the main characters annoyed me (especially the main character, Cas). And for a YA novel, that surprised me.

Also, this book was
Amelia
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
OMG!!

I loved the storyline (I have nothing wrong with that) but there are a few things I have a problem with.

1) To start off, the beginning was slow. It made it hard to get into the book. After you get through the first say 100 pages it gets so much better!

2) *I don't know if you would count this as a spoiler but I'm just putting this here in case* Cas falls in love with Anna... like WHAT?! This annoyed me so much. They should make this a rule, a human should not be able to fall in love with a
Jo
“You do know what we’re dealing with here, don’t you?” I ask. “She’s not just a ghost. She’s a hurricane. Overkill is fine by me.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
I don’t know about something strange but there’s definitely somethingin this neighborhood.

High Points.
Cas. Anna. Telepathic Tagalongs. Girls with too much daylight about them. Bloody deaths. Ghosts. Ghostbustin'. Cool mamas. Daddy issues. Moody kitties. Attic Ladders. Hitchhikers. Prom dresses. Drip, drip, drip. Ghost stories. Small town
Micah Francis
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was AMAZING!! Action packed from the start. It’s a quick read and kept me hooked. Cas is a ghost hunter. Anna Dressed in Blood is a murderous ghost. Cas has never faced a ghost this strong. Awesome plot twists and surprising ending. Can’t wait to read the next one!
MischaS_
The first book that I read in English. Except for the short ones and "easy" ones. And it quickly found it's way in the top books I've ever read.
And this book had everything in it. I loved Cas. I adored Anna in her demonical moments. The basement scene was the best from the whole book.
Mel
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly amazing. It was a one of a kind book with a unique plot. While reading this book, I couldn’t help thinking of Dean and Sam from Supernatural. Cas is a ghost killer who goes all over North America to kill harmful ghosts. When he seeks out Anna Korlov or “Anna Dressed In blood,” Cas encounters something different than he is used to.

The characters featured in this book are unique, well written, and are nothing typical. Blake was not afraid to break out of the norm having both t
Bradley
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good.

It's perfect for people who want a light and easy paranormal read that happens to be a teen urban fantasy, rather than a teen urban fantasy that has paranormal elements.

For me, that focus is key. I like ghost stories, and while this one isn't particularly scary, it does manage to be fun, full of magic, a bit of mystery, and interesting characters. It's pretty popcorn and a pleasant way to spend a morning. :)

Nothing deep, just ghost hunting with high schoolers. :)
HeatherJay
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I was 13, my best friend, I'll call her Evil Kristin, thought it would be funny to scare the living shit out of me. Unfortunately, she decided to make this a regular occurence as scaring me was so very entertaining.I remember at a sleepover her mother had recently bought the hardcover of the book "The Exorcist". She put it right next to my pillow so that when I woke up it would be staring at me. For those who have never seen the book, here you go:

The next morning I turned over and stared i
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I started this with very high expectations. Everyone kept giving it high ratings, most of my friends were already reading it and talking about it between each other. I felt left alone! So I said f*ck it I’ll drop my current to-read list and start it. Good call that was.

Now how can I review Anna Dressed in Blood without acting like a total fangirl? Oh how about some pretty pictures that reflect my experience?

A-f*cking-mazing!! I was having the time of my life while reading this!

A love story betw
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
*3.8/5 hauuunting stars*

“Yes. Smashing. You’ll be just like those four chaps in the movie. You know the one, with the oversized marshmallow.”

Anna Dressed in Blood was such a deliciously creepy read which sends shivers down your back and makes you wary of walking dark hallways of your home at night. Yet, it wasn't the 'scared out of your mind' type of story like those damned horror movies, it's still YA after all.
Confession time: I HATE horror movies. I think they are stupid and drastic and I
Giselle
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Anna Dressed in Blood is YA meet Amityville Horror. It was creepy and ominous, but also funny. I didn't find it incredibly scary, just kind of spooky - well ok, a lot spooky. I did love it though, I absolutely did!

Firstly, it was refreshing to have a male protagonist. I wish there were more books as such. Theseus Cassio (Cas) is our main character in this novel and he's awesome! He has a great sense of humour and he's such a sweetheart. I adored his character. He's had a tough life being a ghost
Julia
Ich WEISS, ich werde dem Buch nicht gerecht, egal, was ich jetzt sage, deshalb fasse ich nur in ein paar Stichpunkten zusammen, was ich so toll fand:

-es ist wirklich wie Supernatural, nur als Buch
-einige schön schaurige Szenen *-* (eben wie bei Supernatural)
-unterstrichen durch einen sehr bildlichen Schreibstil
-den liebe ich wirklich sehr, er hat teilweise zwar meine Angst verstärkt, aber die meiste Zeit konnte man durch ihn nur komplett in der Geschichte eintauchen
-Anna, a goddess of death ♥
-un
Courtney Allison Moulton
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
My favorite book of 2011! Gorgeous, brutal, heart-breaking, merciless, and cool as Hell. This is the kind of book I've been dying to read! You guys HAVE to read this one.
Joe
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Anna Dressed in Blood has been brought to you by:
Cas totes needs this tattoo on his bicep
Why use tap water for witchcraft spells when you can use Dasani®?

Full disclosure: I approached Anna Dressed in Blood with a great amount of trepidation. After all, it’s patently obvious that I am not a fan of teenage supernatural romances. My track record speaks for itself and I am clearly not the demographic at whom this market is aimed. Teens swooning over creatures that can kill them has, for all intents and purposes, been played out. Now tha
Argona
Well, this was certainly a different and refreshing read. I started reading this story after reading a whole trilogy from a first person female POV and that might have had some effect on why my first thought while reading this book was... Hah... Cas is such a nice boy, so much that he sounds like a girl! (I sincerely hope I am not being sexist. I do believe in the existence of good boys!)
Then I remembered that the author is female and thought that it makes sense and perhaps she simply isn't that
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • The Space Between
  • Possess
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Texas Gothic (Goodnight Family #1)
  • Shattered Souls (Souls, #1)
  • Drink, Slay, Love
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2)
  • Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Imaginary Girls
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
So, I write books. The Anna Dressed in Blood duo is horror, The Goddess War trilogy is mythology, and Sleepwalk Society is contemporary, because the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some. Love to read, too. Fiction, philosophy, good books, bad books, because you take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have a st ...more
More about Kendare Blake

Anna (2 books)
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You