Start by marking “Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)

Anna Dressed in Blood

(Anna #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  89,722 ratings  ·  9,601 reviews
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. They follow legends and local lore, destroy the murderous dead
Hardcover, First Edition, 316 pages
Published October 17th 2011 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Anna Dressed in Blood, please sign up.
Sophie I have read both the Diviners and this, and personally, I think that the diviners was more scary. I love them both so much! This is such a good read,…moreI have read both the Diviners and this, and personally, I think that the diviners was more scary. I love them both so much! This is such a good read, give it a try!(less)
Sophie It is said that there will be a movie, which will be directed by stephanie meyer. Yes, that stephanie meyer. For more information there is a website…moreIt is said that there will be a movie, which will be directed by stephanie meyer. Yes, that stephanie meyer. For more information there is a website about it, here is the link: http://booksaredelicious.com/2014/04/...(less)

·  89,722 ratings  ·  9,601 reviews

Start your review of Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)
karen
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing

a million stars for anna dressed in awesome.

i was so hoping to be scared by this book. the way i was hoping to cry reading a monster calls. and it is fine that i wasn't and that i didn't - apparently i have no discernible human emotional response except an ability to become enthusiastic over well-written prose. and that's enough, for a life.

i don't even care that this book wasn't scary - it was so fun, and that is usually all i need to be riveted. did it have flaws? sure! were there things in the book that occurred
Wendy Darling
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Recommended to Wendy Darling by: Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Have you ever stood in your house, listening to a quiet, unfamiliar noise, and felt the hair rise on the back of your neck? Cas Lowood has, and the unholy hell of what he finds when he investigates will make you jump a little bit in your seat. He's a 17-year-old who kills the dead with a magic athame, just as his father did before him--and now he's faced with the task of killing Anna, a homicidal ghost who was murdered more than 60 years ago.

Cas is a fantastically strong and appealin
Kat Kennedy
I don't believe in ghosts. I don't believe in Ouji boards, aliens, loch ness monsters, abominable snowmen, poltergeists, republicans or any of that other stuff.

My little brother makes me watch those ghost hunter documentaries (I'm using that term lightly) and tries to show me the DARN FACTS, DAMNIT KATE! WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THEY'RE REAL?

Funny how he believes in ghosts but not the continued statistical evidence that indicates women still suffer from inequality and, yes little brother, even in western society. *
Steph Sinclair
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like ghosts, I guess
Recommended to Steph by: Loads of GoodReads friends

Don't forget to check out the epic interview story with Kendare Blake over at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog!

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Sometimes you read books that are visibly bad. So bad, in fact, that they make you want to throw yourself head first out a window, but you keep on reading and reading. You might even feel yourself losing your will to live about halfway through. But somehow, by the end of the book, you end up liking it anyway because it entertained you. The badness was just that entertaining. Then, there are other boo
Navessa
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'M ABOUT TO SPAM THE SHIT OUT OF YOU WITH SUPERNATURAL SHENANNIGANS. SO IF GIF-HAPPY REVIEWS AREN'T YOUR THING, LOOK AWAY NOW.

I picked this up for one reason and one reason alone.

This past week, I had the plague - given to me by a yet unidentified coworker. (view spoiler) ...more
Stephen
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, ya, ghosts, ebooks, horror
Oh Anna…you strong, saucy, serial-killing, ripping-bodies-in-two “ghostess with the mostess”…where have you been all my life?

This book is a few menu items to the right of my normal literary diet and so I want extend a warm thank you to my YA sommeliers, Emily May, Wendy Darling and Maja, for turning me on to this. You took right and proper care of me with this recommendation, and while I couldn’t quite bring myself to give away the 4th star, I did find mucho to enjoy about this novel plan to grab the sequel when it comes out (after it's been properly vetted and cl
Katerina
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dear Kendare Blake,

Sincerely,

A girl who never sleeps with the lights off.

Before I jump into raving about this deliciously creepy book, I have to give you some backround details. I don't do horror. The only exception to my stay-away-from-things-that-will-disturb-your-beauty-sleep rule is the summer I spent binge-watching Supernatural, and let's just say that my motivations to start this series were far from noble.

Yes, I am that shallow. But the thing is, after the first
Emily May
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror, 2011

Anna Dressed in Blood was a surprisingly good read. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, something typical of young adult urban fantasy perhaps... same old characters, lots of romancing, maybe even an interesting little mystery to give the book some semblance of plot if we're lucky. I was really quite pleased with this exciting, slightly spooky, and wholly entertaining start to the series.

I cannot stress highly enough how glad I am that Kendare Blake wrote a romance that was gradually introduced
Penny
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First off, I feel I should discuss the cover art: I know, I know--everyone loves this cover. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for me. Look, I stopped being fooled wowed by cover art after reading Fallen. That's a lie--the cover for the third Paranormalcy book makes me ridiculously happy, but at least I'm fairly certain I'll like that book since I like the first two books in the series.

In my opinion the following would have made a better cover for Anna Dressed In Blood:

Carrie,Prom Queen,Anna Dressed in Blood,They're All Gonna Laugh
Infinitely better, don't you think? I mean, at least she's actually dressed in blood.

Moving on...

You know how Cake Pops are the newest, coolest thing in baked goods? And everyone's all "O mai, it'ss teh caaaaaaaake popssssssss!"? And you're standing there thinking, sure they're cute but they're just little glorified cupcakes on sticks? Well, let me start by saying: Anna Dressed in Blood is the Cake Pop of the publishing industry. Sure it's cute(-ish) but I fail to see what the big deal is.

Ghostly Cake Pops
Seriously, what's the big deal?

I've read several reviews that claim this book is hilarious and disgusting and terrifying. Plus! Awesome Characters! Weird Romance! I was under the impression Anna Dressed in Blood was the YA version of Fargo, except with a Very Murdery Ghost instead of a woodchipper. And I was all, sign me up!

My mistake was falling for the hype & actually believing the rumors.

It's not laugh-out-loud funny

"Hey" he says, pulling up a chair. "Aren't you going to eat your Jell-o?"
"I effing hate green Jell-o," I reply, and push it his way.
"I hate it too. I was just asking."
I laugh. "Don't make me hurt my ribs, you dick."

Bahahahahaha. So funny, right?

Kidding! I'm not sure which parts were supposed to be funny, actually. Even during the 30% of this book I did enjoy I never laughed, not even in my head. I'd have settled for a "that's what she said" joke. I'm not too picky when it comes to humor.

It's not terrifying. (Not even a little.)

I keep reading reviews that claim this book is scary. It isn't. Yeah, there's a ghost (a couple, actually). Yeah, Anna likes to make it look like her dress is dripping with blood. Yeah, she murders people. But it just so happens that none of that scared me. If there was a demonic clown in this book then I might have been a little frightened. But, alas, no demonic clowns.

It's not a paranormal romance

As far as I'm concerned it's not PNR unless the romance is a major part of the story. Believe me when I say this: the romance is hardly even present. What little romance there is between Cas and Anna is forced and awkward. I only knew they were in love because I was told as much. There was no flirting. No longing glances. No blushing and looking away. No showing off. Now I can't even remember if there is any kissing. I think there might be a kissing scene, but the romance is so minor I just don't remember. The only things Cas and Anna had in common is both their fathers are dead and (view spoiler). Other than that, I can't think of anything else they might have in common. I would have loved to hear that they both liked the same subjects in school, read the same books, or even that they shared a deep passion for pie, but that never happened. Their conversations consisted of Cas questioning Anna about who killed her, the people she killed and how she feels about it, ghost killing, nightmares, and how to stop the gruesome murders happening in Thunder Bay.

I don't know, maybe that's what passes for romance in Canada these days.

The other romance is more interesting, in that it's an unconventional human pairing. I loves me an unconventional love story. That said, it's still another romance that's only present because we're told as much. Sure, Thomas the Nerd is crushing hard-core on Carmel, the hottest girl in school, but I fail to see why she might return his feelings. He's described as looking like a 12-year-old with unkempt orangey-red hair. He dresses ugly, he's awkward and he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder (which, by the way, conveniently disappears early on in the story). Yes, Thomas is nice to Carmel and worships the ground she walks on, but that's pretty much how everyone treats her. She's the hot girl, remember? So...what's in it for Carmel? I want to know that she finds him attractive on an intellectual level, or that it's his sense of humor and confidence that she finds irresistibly sexy (by the way, he's not funny but he needs to be because he is the plucky side-kick), or that she loves him because he really wants to be with her for her personality and not just her looks.

It's not disgusting

I'm not going to lie to you. All the gory details are vague at best. So if you're not into that sort of thing, don't worry, you're pretty safe. That said, I feel I should warn you: yes, there is some dismemberment, and, yes, it is a little abrupt when it happens the first time, but other than that... *shrug* I've actually seen worse (on tv).

The Walking Dead gif
That. Just. Happened. Now please excuse me as I dry-heave for the next 30 seconds.

Which brings me to my next point:

I need the characters to show some genuine emotion

Look, I know I just said that I've seen worse and that's why the gory descriptions didn't affect me. It's just that, had I seen someone dismembered IN REAL LIFE, I'd: 1) vomit 2) vomit some more 3) run away screaming 4) cry 5) dry-heave just thinking about it 6) have nightmares for the rest of my life 7) work it out in therapy.

And that's what I'd do if I never even knew the person.

These kids? Have never seen any real (read: not hallucinations) dismembered bodies, ever. So when they see it happen to people they actually know, I want them to do at least one of the following: 1) run away screaming 2) go into hysterics while standing there 3) go into shock 4) huddle in a corner 5) vomit 6) dry-heave 7) cry about it for more then a paragraph 8) have nightmares 9) call the cops 10) feel survivor guilt.

None of that happened, which is why these teens seem so robotic.

Also? I have a problem with the amount of time these kids spent on getting their stories straight. They spent more time working on alibis then they did thinking about the kids that died horrible, painful deaths. It's seriously disturbing how little they spent thinking about the dead kids or the dead kids' families. And don't tell me it doesn't really matter how they felt about the dead kids because they were bullies who deserved to die.

It's called empathy. Look it up.

(I have so much more to say but I don't know if I'll be able to finish this review before next week. I'm posting it now as a sort of early Thanksgiving present for everyone. You're welcome.

Happy Thanksgiving!)

----

You can bet I have a lot to say about this book. I'll start working on a full review soon. Until then I feel I should mention that I am in the minority with this one. If you're thinking about reading this, go ahead and do so. Chances are you'll probably like it.

If you also don't like this book leave a comment below so we can trash this book together. 1.5 stars.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story.

Not many authors can scare you to death by eliciting vivid, gruesome imagery and, at the same time, take your breath away with sheer beauty of their prose. I never expected Kendare Blake to be one of those authors – that’s why her book took me completely by surprise. It was very different from what I thought it would be. When I choose a book based on a beautiful cover and an intriguing title (and yes, I really AM that shallow), especi
Shannon
I'm the first to admit that when something is hyped I give it the ol' stink-eye, and I very rarely enjoy something that's popular or that everyone and their brother tells me I'll like. I pounced on this book before the "ZOMG YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!!1!" crazy train rolled into the station, and I'm really glad I did. This is one of those rare instances where everybody likes a book because it's actually good.

I guess I wasn't paying much attention at first glance, mostly to avoid spoilers, but I
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

RIGHT OFF THE BAT WITH THE GHOSTY ACTION! :) WOOT!

Theseus Cassio Lowood (Cas) is a ghost hunter just like his father. His father unfortunately was killed by a ghost so Cas has made it his mission to walk in his father's footsteps. Right off the bat he kills a ghost people called the Hiker because this ghost is killing people because he himself was murdered. Since this can't be happening, Cas kills them with his father's athame knife.

Cas and his mom move all over the place when they get tips on ghos
Megs ♥
Oct 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Megs ♥ by: Heidi

Ughh. The first half of this book I would say was a solid 4/5. The second half, unfortunately, put me to sleep. 3/5 stars I guess to balance it out, but right now I feel that is even generous.

When I went into this book I had zero expectations. I think ghosts are cool, and I was really just looking for something super creepy, because that was what I was in the mood for. I didn't even really have anything to compare this to, because I haven't read very many ghost books and have never watched any
Michelle
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I was set to be scared but as I turned every page, I had a stupid smile on my face! I expected horror and dread. What I got, instead, were sunshine, lemondrops, and rainbows... sigh! Darn it!
I still can't shake off the stupid smile on my face!!! Well played, Miss Blake...
Catie
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, horror, read-in-2011
2 stars

Ho hum. I hate it when this happens. You guys are all inside having a party with roasted chestnuts and hot cider and giant booming laughs and I am out here on a frigid winter’s night peering in through the frosty glass. (Oh yes. I am that dramatic.) But melodrama aside, I hate being the one to dislike something that everyone else loves. I’m sure we’ve all been here a time or two and it’s never fun. I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this one, but I am willing to admit that it
Mario
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read, own
But hey, at least we’ll have this strange story to tell, love and death and blood and daddy-issues. And holy crap, I’m a psychiatrist’s wet dream.

This book was so much better than I expected it to be. I expected a classic YA romance ghost story, but I got so much more. Surprisingly, romance played a small part in this novel, and that was refreshing to read. And none of the main characters annoyed me (especially the main character, Cas). And for a YA novel, that surprised me.

Also, this
Amelia
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
OMG!!

I loved the storyline (I have nothing wrong with that) but there are a few things I have a problem with.

1) To start off, the beginning was slow. It made it hard to get into the book. After you get through the first say 100 pages it gets so much better!

2) *I don't know if you would count this as a spoiler but I'm just putting this here in case* Cas falls in love with Anna... like WHAT?! This annoyed me so much. They should make this a rule, a human should not be able
Jo
“You do know what we’re dealing with here, don’t you?” I ask. “She’s not just a ghost. She’s a hurricane. Overkill is fine by me.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
I don’t know about something strange but there’s definitely somethingin this neighborhood.

High Points.
Cas. Anna. Telepathic Tagalongs. Girls with too much daylight about them. Bloody deaths. Ghosts. Ghostbustin'. Cool mamas. Daddy issues. Moody kitties. Attic Ladders. Hitchhikers. Prom dresses. Drip, drip, drip. Ghost stories. Small town/>High
MischaS_
The first book that I read in English. Except for the short ones and "easy" ones. And it quickly found it's way in the top books I've ever read.
And this book had everything in it. I loved Cas. I adored Anna in her demonical moments. The basement scene was the best from the whole book.
Mel
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly amazing. It was a one of a kind book with a unique plot. While reading this book, I couldn’t help thinking of Dean and Sam from Supernatural. Cas is a ghost killer who goes all over North America to kill harmful ghosts. When he seeks out Anna Korlov or “Anna Dressed In blood,” Cas encounters something different than he is used to.

The characters featured in this book are unique, well written, and are nothing typical. Blake was not afraid to break out of the norm having both t
Bradley
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good.

It's perfect for people who want a light and easy paranormal read that happens to be a teen urban fantasy, rather than a teen urban fantasy that has paranormal elements.

For me, that focus is key. I like ghost stories, and while this one isn't particularly scary, it does manage to be fun, full of magic, a bit of mystery, and interesting characters. It's pretty popcorn and a pleasant way to spend a morning. :)

Nothing deep, just ghost hunting with high
Micah Francis
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was AMAZING!! Action packed from the start. It’s a quick read and kept me hooked. Cas is a ghost hunter. Anna Dressed in Blood is a murderous ghost. Cas has never faced a ghost this strong. Awesome plot twists and surprising ending. Can’t wait to read the next one!
HeatherJay
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I was 13, my best friend, I'll call her Evil Kristin, thought it would be funny to scare the living shit out of me. Unfortunately, she decided to make this a regular occurence as scaring me was so very entertaining.I remember at a sleepover her mother had recently bought the hardcover of the book "The Exorcist". She put it right next to my pillow so that when I woke up it would be staring at me. For those who have never seen the book, here you go:

The next morning I turned over and stared into the eyes of horror and screamed so loud her Siamese cat vaulted off the bed and face-planted into the closed bedroom door.

Good Times!

Evil Kristin continued on her "Pussification of Heather Tour" throughout our teens. Her most binding "prank" was forcing me to watch The Shining. I recall her telling me she had watched it with her brother and it had a "really sweet ending". Everytime I would get up to use the bathroom, she would screech "REDRUM, REDRUM!" and I would usually haul ass back to the bed either slamming my toe into the bedpost or kneeing the dresser at full speed.It was well into my thirties before I would go alone to fill the ice bucket at a hotel.
Anna Dressed in Blood regurgitated similar feelings in me but without the embarassing, teenage self-consciousness that always followed.
Our fearless leader, Cas Lowood kills the dead that cannot cross over. Cas and his mother move from place to place ridding the towns of whatever evil spirit is wreaking havoc on it's citizens.They move to Thunder Bay, Ontario where the ghost of Anna Korlov is rumored to have slaughtered countless trespassers who have dared to seek refuge in the dilapidated house that she resides in. What follows is a freaky, sweet, endearing and at times, scary as FUCK horror story. As Cas has spent his life moving around, he struggles with creating attachments to his highschool friends and to Anna as well, because Anna is different than the rest of the ghosts he has killed. In spite of my obvious squeamishness to anything scary, I had a blast with this book. The characters were likeable, the dialogue was witty and well-written and the plot moved along seamlessly. I'm glad there is a sequel in the works as I would hate to think I wouldn't be hearing from Cas again.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I started this with very high expectations. Everyone kept giving it high ratings, most of my friends were already reading it and talking about it between each other. I felt left alone! So I said f*ck it I’ll drop my current to-read list and start it. Good call that was.

Now how can I review Anna Dressed in Blood without acting like a total fangirl? Oh how about some pretty pictures that reflect my experience?

A-f*cking-mazing!! I was having the time of my life while reading this!

A love story between a boy and a ghost… That was a new one for me. Am I wrong for finding it romantic and not gross? Their (view spoiler) was the cutest thing ever! Cas is sooo badass, I developed a crush on him. I know I’m acting like a worked-up teenager over this book but I don’t care. I deserve this!!

I fell in love with the characters, fell in love with the town and fell in love with ghost stories again. It’s a wonderful feeling. And it got me searching for more books similar to this one (Hold Me Closer Necromancer is next on my list). Kendare Blake has such a brilliant mind. This won’t be the last book I read for her. And as for this series, I’m damn excited to read more. And btw 2012 is just cruel!

Oh, I think I found the perfect song for the book’s ending:
Wherever You Are by Stream of Passion [link]

Favorite quote:
“I’m not a superhero,” I say. It’s an awful tag. It’s egotistical, and it doesn’t fit. I don’t parade around in spandex. I don’t do what I do and receive accolades and keys to cities. I work in the dark, killing what should have stayed dead.

And relax, I haven’t forgotten about the surprised I promised. I did a little piece of fanart for my dear Anna. A three hour quickie, freehand, no references, Photoshop (as always). Hope you like!

image
(click to enlarge)
Giselle
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Anna Dressed in Blood is YA meet Amityville Horror. It was creepy and ominous, but also funny. I didn't find it incredibly scary, just kind of spooky - well ok, a lot spooky. I did love it though, I absolutely did!

Firstly, it was refreshing to have a male protagonist. I wish there were more books as such. Theseus Cassio (Cas) is our main character in this novel and he's awesome! He has a great sense of humour and he's such a sweetheart. I adored his character. He's had a tough life being a ghost hunter, but he mak
Ariel
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
SO GOOD... SO GOOD.

Loved the horror! I've never read any horror, really, so this was SO much fun!

But not only that.. I loved the plot, the characters, the themes.. AWESOME! :)
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*3.8/5 hauuunting stars*

“Yes. Smashing. You’ll be just like those four chaps in the movie. You know the one, with the oversized marshmallow.”

Anna Dressed in Blood was such a deliciously creepy read which sends shivers down your back and makes you wary of walking dark hallways of your home at night. Yet, it wasn't the 'scared out of your mind' type of story like those damned horror movies, it's still YA after all.
Confession time: I HATE horror movies. I think they are stupid and drastic and I don't like to be scared out of my mind for
Courtney Allison Moulton
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
My favorite book of 2011! Gorgeous, brutal, heart-breaking, merciless, and cool as Hell. This is the kind of book I've been dying to read! You guys HAVE to read this one.
Joe
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Anna Dressed in Blood has been brought to you by:
Cas totes needs this tattoo on his bicep
Why use tap water for witchcraft spells when you can use Dasani®?

Full disclosure: I approached Anna Dressed in Blood with a great amount of trepidation. After all, it’s patently obvious that I am not a fan of teenage supernatural romances. My track record speaks for itself and I am clearly not the demographi
Argona
Well, this was certainly a different and refreshing read. I started reading this story after reading a whole trilogy from a first person female POV and that might have had some effect on why my first thought while reading this book was... Hah... Cas is such a nice boy, so much that he sounds like a girl! (I sincerely hope I am not being sexist. I do believe in the existence of good boys!)
Then I remembered that the author is female and thought that it makes sense and perhaps she simply isn'

• The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Possess
  • Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1)
  • The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
  • Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
  • The Wicked Deep
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
  • Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
So, I write books. The Anna Dressed in Blood duo is horror, The Goddess War trilogy is mythology, and Sleepwalk Society is contemporary, because the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some. Love to read, too. Fiction, philosophy, good books, bad books, because you take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have a st ...more

Anna (2 books)
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
“You make me want things I can't have.” 573 likes