College Students! discussion

Life (Non-college/book talk) > Staying in Shape/Losing Weight

Comments Showing 1-50 of 447 (447 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) This is our accountablity corner for getting in to shape or losing those few extra pounds.

What are you doing this week to improve your health and stay in shape? When did you follow up on it? Did you change some of your eating habbits?

Today I signed my boyfriend and I up for some ballroom dancing classes they won't start for another two and a half weeks but we are now in the class. I am also going to do a kick boxing class tomorrow.

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I have been soooo bad. But I promise that once I get back to school (in one week) I will be changing my ways! I have that Winsor Pilates tape that hopefully I'll be doing regularly and I think I'm going to start walking again too. I used to do it really regularly last year (and it really did help! Just one hour a day). I need to work on getting my stress in check and I think walking would help with that. So I'm going to try to do both.. alternating days.

Diet will be the hardest thing for me. What is everyone else doing for this? My self control is like sooo bad. haha. Also I get caught up in negative thoughts "Oh I can't lose all this ugly arm fat." "Oh I'll just gain it back when I get older b/c the metabolism slows" How do we stop the cycle of negativity?

Caiti, Ballroom dancing sounds awesome! My parents took classes many years ago and they still remember the steps.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
i had wendy's today...haha..i'm not starting off so well on getting into bathing suit shape. and i've only worked out once..booo..i need to step it up or i will look like a whale on the beach. haha ok maybe a bit dramatic..but i want to look good!

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Jan 04, 2009 03:52PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Check out this website:

http://www.everydayhealth.com

this website has a calorie counter so you can keep track of your calorie intake,you can meet people with similar health goals or interests, etc. It's 100 free. :)

If you do join, add me as a friend. My user name is CuteShortGirl86

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I plan to ride my bike more. It would be cool if I could find a bike buddy. :)

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments The treadmill in our apartment was broken for about a year, and they finally replaced it, so my hope is that I will run on the treadmill and eat healthier.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin Lynn I think this is the best place to stop negative things because while I have no clue who you are, you are beautiful! My wonderful man thing told me he going to tell me a few dozen times everyday how beautiful and wonderful I am to stop my bad thoughts and get me to believe him. So, untill you can find yourself a wonderful person to tell you everyday how wonderful you are just check back here!

I'm starting to go out walking around our farm with my dog and my mom's new puppy. This sunday I'll be getting back to school and will start going to the free gym we have on campus atleast everyother day. My goal is to be able to run. Right now my ass and boobs feel like they're going ot jump off my body and run away if I try to. I also figure that if I can run with out tons of discomfort then I'll probably be in shape.

There is this really neat little chair like thingy in our gym at school that stretchs your muscles so I'm in love with it. I use it every single time I go because I have lower back problems. I think I'll start using it before and after I work out with all the uses. Its really awesome!

I'll check out that every day health website. The thing I found that worked best for eating habbits was getting out of my parents. At school I can make sure I only stock my room with good things. This is also helped with lack of money. I also went to the sub shop on campus because we have to have a meal plan for school and found that it was amazing(subs can make a wonderfully balanced meal). When out shopping I get a giant tub of light yogurt. When you feel munchy grab the yogurt!

I think the best thing for me, since I have major control problems like Lynn, was to remember to eat propper meals. Make sure its balanced and grab a carrot or apple or something. If you don't eat it at lunch just keep glaring at it. Use that arm fat (oh I can't stand me arm fat) to keep yourself glaring at the fruit/vegitable and then when you get hungry enough to eat it you'll know you aren't hurting your diet. It really, really, really helped getting to be in a place where I was controling the food in my life. When I go shopping I never make myself look decent because if I feel fat then I won't buy the chocolate...

message 8: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
I started walking a little over a mile a day in my neighborhood. I also try to add vegetables whenever I can. The thing that's helped me the most is to add one small thing at a time. I added the eating better back in December (lots of vegetables, which I used to not like). At the end of the month, I added walking. Next week, I'll be adding the workout DVD my roommate has that we're going to do together (it works the abs). In a few weeks, I plan on going to a yoga class at my campus gym.

One thing I saw that's really stuck with me was the Oprah weight loss plan. It suggests walking 15 minutes and adding water to your diet for the first 2 weeks. Weeks 3 and 4 it adds 5 minutes to your walking and some other food thing. You don't start doing strength until you've gotten down walking and eating better because strength workouts make you hungry and if you just eat bad food, it all goes to waste.

So just remember, small changes will help you succeed more than totally radical ones.

message 9: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) I'm with you guys on the weightloss trouble... there is an AMAZING website that helps with weightloss and eating right called sparkpeople.com. I LIVE by it. It helps you track calories, weightloss, exercise, plus gives you tips to do it all. I lost 10lbs from it so far, and I plan on losing more. Plus, you can make your own page and write motivating things on it as well as comment on other's pages. Like goodreads but with being healthy.

Check it out! :)

message 10: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I started out today by counting calories. When I'm done on this site I'm going to go walk a mile on the treadmill and then later this afternoon I'm going to go to a kickboxing class.

But good job ladies! Sounds like we are all getting to a good start. And Lori is right, little changes are better than radical ones.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin I like the idea of sparkpeople.com, but I'll have to wait to check it out till I'm at school (dial-up). I don't like doing the little change sthings as much because I get lost. Though I guess I could use a calendar to fix that... What I do is make a list of the things I'm going to do and post it up on the wall. In the morning I look at the list and go at it. If I miss something or amd just to plain lazy I make sure I don't get upset. I simply make sure I do better tomorrow. Like yesterday I woke up and said screw the morning schedule, but I did eventually get up and get some things on my to-do list done. This morning I got most of my morning schedule done as planned. Though as soon as I get off here I have to go feed the poor horsies, which I was suppose to do before I ate breakfast. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get them done first!

Another thing that is helping me is getting up at a certain time. I have a definate time to get my lazy butt up out of bed and go brush my teeth, which gets me into gear to do the rest. After I feed the horses I'm suppose to go for a walk, thus how the whole sceduling thing fits into getting fit and healthy. I really started getting up at a certain time though because I have 8 a.m. classes when I start back up college next monday...

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet SBG- I am the same way. I don't really need to lose any weight, although I probably should, but I just really need to get healthy. I need to start working out more. The nice thing is, is that I have a dog. So I am going to try and take her on a walk atleast 3 times a week and if I can't because of snow or something, then I need to go to the gym. I just need to find the time! I actually feel like a monitor my eating more when I am at school than when I am at home. I wonder what that's all about? Haha.

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I definitely monitor my eating more at school too. I actually LOST weight when I first came to college! and it seems like I always gain some weight when I'm at home over break (at least a little). One of the big reasons is holiday eating.

At school I don't have a mini-fridge and I don't usually buy food to store in my room. So I have to eat the cafeteria food which isn't usually the greatest.. but then I don't eat big portions b/c of that. So it works out pretty well. And there isn't much food to choose from.. You either get something from the hot line or you just get a salad or cold-cut sandwich.

message 14: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

I think I'm under the wagon right now.

I watched the Oprah Best Life Week show about weight loss. I can't wait for the webcast next Monday night. I want to buy the Bob Greene Best Life Diet book. Anyone have any experience with it?

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I watched Biggest Loser tonight which motivates me. Anyone else watch?

message 16: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i watched it for the first time ever tonight!! WOW! thats all i have to say..i have so much respect for them for coming on the show and getting help..and even though i am not overweight in any way..it really motivates me that if they can do it..i definitely can.

message 17: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) In some ways I wish there was a The Biggest Loser, skinny version. For those of us who aren't over overweight but want to lose a little. But it's insane cause they work out 6 hours a day!

message 18: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

One of the things I don't like about shows like that and stars giving out their workout routines is that they are so much better able to make a schedule and stick with it, whereas college students are up to the whims of their professors and sometimes studying and doing homework just doesn't come easily.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I'm one of those not-so-skinny gals. Haha. Right now I'm the biggest I've ever been... ever. I really need to drop my weight and do it right. I've never really tried dieting. I don't count the diets I kept for a week. Haha. I'm just not motivated, but lately I've been really thinking hard about it. I want to lose 50 lbs. And I know I can. For me, it would be easy. Stop eating so much, stop drinking cokes, stop eating out, stop smoking. I just have very bad eating habits. If I went cold turkey and ate right for a whole month, I bet I'll lose 20 that first month easy. I know it's a lot, but I'm just talking about the first month. That's how bad my eating habits are. Haha. I checked out Weight Watchers once, but I really didn't like the idea of "paying" to lose weight. I don't have the extra money anyways. I checked out sparkpeople and wow! I joined and I am ready to get the show on the road. I think I'm gonna find a walking buddy and everything. It will probably be my bf's mom. And when my bf gets home tonight... I think I'm going to make him check it out. Haha.

So.... anyone want to start a weight loss challenge type gig with me? Anyone who's on spark people.. my username is misslaurenwilk. Definitely add me!

message 20: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Lauren I was doing weight watchers for a while, my mom had all the books. It really does help, you might be able to find the books online through ebay or amazon.

I might have to check out that website too.

message 21: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

I think I might get Bob Greene's Best Life Diet book. I saw it at Wal-Mart for $10. I think it's mostly about eating right, but I'll get plenty of exercise walking to and from campus twice a day 5 days a week. I know that recipes are a big part of his book and plan, which is good so that I don't continually eat the same thing and get tired of all of my healthy food.

Has anyone been watching Oprah's Best Life Week?

message 22: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) Yesterday I signed up for the Biggest Loser's Pound for Pound Challenge. You have from now until like May to meet your goal weight loss (that you set) and they donate ten cents per pound loss to some starving children program or something. Their website has some tips and they chart everyone's overall progess on Biggest Loser Couples (I don't watch, but I think that's what my email said).
I don't have a link but it should be easy to google.

message 23: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I totally heard about that on the radio the other day, and I thought it would be a great incentive to actually lose the weight. Maybe I'll sign up for that too!

message 24: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) hey lauren! I know exactly what you mean about KNOWING what to do to lose weight, and actually doing it... its definitely easier said than done. I'm so glad you signed up for spark people, I think it really helps, especially since it gives you tips to do during living your life, as opposed to telling you to workout 6 hours a day and eating nothing but salad.
Even doing something as simple as logging in your food (which they have EVERYTHING imaginable) it helps a lot- trust me, as food is my main problem ;)

I will definitely look you up, and my username is... spencerella. Let me know how it goes!

message 25: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

just joined Sparkpeople... i'm ferociousmopes on there. i don't even know where to begin on here!

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments jamie - i added you! =)

message 27: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I just joined....Jamie and Anastasia, I've added you both.

message 28: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Jan 09, 2009 06:16AM) (new)

yay! we should create a group on there for all of us!

i absolutely love that site. thank you so much Anastasia for sharing that. I really like the fact that i will have to be more conscious about the things i eat..and that as soon as you type it in it has the calories listed there. I always hated the idea of planning what i was going to eat..but i do see the importance in it. I probably won't always plan..but I will try to.

message 29: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i just created a team on there for us..i invited you 3 to it!

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin I'll probably join it when I get back to school in two days. Dail-up sucks...

message 31: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I joined it too. My username is xpennylanex. I'll add all of you when I have time! =)

message 32: by Erin (new)

Erin Just joined the group I'm Temslove. I figured I'd just add everyone from the goodreads group.

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i have been so unmotivated lately so I haven't done anything..except maybe eat smaller portions and eat better things. Any tips for motivation?

message 34: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I have been unmotivated to exercise too.. mostly b/c I am SO busy right now and I'm waiting for it to die down a little. But I am trying to make better food choices and that's part of it too so I'm proud to say at least I'm doing that (although I have had some slip ups)

I'm thinking of doing a motivation board of cutes clothes that I'm wary of wearing right now, healthy figured people (Kate Winslet, anyone? :]), etc. If I posted it in my room somewhere where I would see it all the time, it might help to motivate me to make the time to work out. Lately, I've just had no energy though due to working a lot and going through a couple illnesses (got a fever today. bummer)

message 35: by Erin (new)

Erin Don't push yourself when you're sick Lynn, or you'll just get sicker. As far as motivation goes I'm sucky at it. For instance, I'm currently not doing any thing productive though I should really go to the store and pick up some good stuff. I always found for myself it was just telling myself to get the hell up and doing it. Though it's success streak has been few and far between. Working out I find a bit easier when I'm stressed cause I know I'll feel like I got something done instead of just sitting on my ass. It might also help to look at why you're not motivated. I'm shy and don't like to go out by myself so going shopping is ugly unless I have a friend.

message 36: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
it helps to have a buddy whenever you try to do anything, especially a new diet/excercise plan. My brother is naturally skinny, and a couple of girls he works with are quite large. So they made him sign up at the gym with them. It was motivating for awhile for them, but then they got upset because he lost more weight. So, find someone you are friends with, with the same type of goals, and things should be easier.

message 37: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

I haven't made many changes other than having to walk to and from campus twice a day, 4 days a week. It's about 3/4 mile 1 way. I bought Bob Greene's Best Life Diet book, which I need to read the first 70-ish pages of to start following the diet on Wednesday. Why Wednesday, you might ask. Because giving up alcohol for a month is one of the things you do right off the bat and I want me some champagne on Tuesday.

message 38: by Kami (new)

Kami | 15 comments My problem is that I hardcore workout and diet for about 4 weeks, then take about another 4 off. So, this time around I'm trying to be much more lenient. I like to workout (Turbo Jam is where its at) and watch what I eat if I'm not so psychotic about it. If I miss a workout- oh well. If I have a bad eating day- who cares. I'm just trying to keep a healthy attitude about losing weight instead of burning myself out.

message 39: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I actually worked out two days in a row and then took two days off so tomorrow I'm going hardcore. I really killed my arms by lifting arm weights while walking.

message 40: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Kami, I think the problem was the word "hardcore." Recently, I've been reading a lot about losing weight and everything suggests small, little changes to your life and then a week or two later, make another small change. Start walking 15 minutes a day and a couple of weeks later, add 5 minutes. Don't drastically cut calories, just take off 100 a day for a week and then take off some more the next week. If your body can't tell it's dieting then you'll have more success because it won't think there's a famine coming.

message 41: by Kami (new)

Kami | 15 comments Lori, I absolutely see what you are saying. In the past, I'd be obsessed with working out and cutting calories, and I would never see much of a difference. This time around, I work out when I can, I try to eat well, but if I want some cake- I'm going to eat some cake. I can already see results. I feel more energized and firm... it feels much better doing it the healthy way.

message 42: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) I'm with you all the way Kami. I actually joined a gym a few months back and went everyday hardcore and dieted with my food, etc, etc. I ended up losing 10lbs but I took a break christmas time and haven't worked out for a month. all the pressure weighs you down.
So this time I'm doing things differently. starting with not pressuring myself and going slow.

we can do it!

message 43: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

let's keep it up girls!
it's all about the baby steps! :)

message 44: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

here's our goodreads girls group on sparkpeople! feel free to join everyone!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/gr...

message 45: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments i need to get in shape! i might need to join at some point once i get back in a normal routine.

message 46: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Kami, Just make sure that your piece of cake is reasonably sized (and maybe even on the small side).

message 47: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

eeek. i did a bad thing today..i started off eating all healthy today..and then i was out and decided to go get fast food...boooo..i'm so bad..at least i only got a small fry and 6 piece chicken nugget. i'm so bad. i'm not the same as i was in high school..i could eat fast food every day and never gain weight! i need to get that through my head!

message 48: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

I miss those days so much!

message 49: by Erin (new)

Erin Lol, I've always been fighting the tub bub monster. Jamie if you check the statistics on McD's fries and Nuggets they aren't that horrid.

I haven't been logging my food and I have no plans to start till tomorrow and then I'll probably procrastinate some more...

message 50: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yay! I worked out today..i did the bike for 25 minutes while watching tv!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9