Terminalcoffee discussion

Exactly how dull are you?(We hate the phone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 03, 2009 01:18PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I mean that as a compliment! How dull are you? What sort of mundane things do you do and enjoy?

I enjoy the dull routine of...

1. Reading the paper and eating the same thing for breakfast (oatmeal, yogurt, banana) every day
2. Taking my vitamins
3. Watering plants at work
4. Cleaning the house
5. Reading late at night
6. Sitting on the steps to my back porch
7. Listening to winter

And probably lots of others. All you "go out all the time" people, fie on you! You'd wear me out and bore me! Sure, I like to go out sometimes, but most nights I'd be begging you to drop me off by 9PM or faking sick to go home early! Keep your agitated wildness, I'm proud to be (sometimes, quite often, even) dull!

And...you?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I use the weekends to do laundry and do the crossword puzzle. I also enjoy:
1. Oatmeal for breakfast most mornings
2. Taking my vitamins (Flintstones and vitamin B complex)
3. Walking through downtown to the bus stop on my way to work
4. Cleaning the kitchen while making tea
5. Reading late at night
6. Doing crossword puzzles and reading the funnies in the paper every day
7. And even, being at work and feeling productive

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments I think being on my laptop in my chair with a pile of books at my side while answering this question on a Saturday afternoon kinda sums up my answer

shellyindallas When I think of someone who is dull, I don't think of someone who doesn't party every night, or who enjoys crosswords, vacuuming, and a nice walk. I think of someone who is unable to say anything interesting or funny. Like, I used to work with this one girl who never had anything to say. Standing behind the bar w/ her waiting for customers was torture b/c it was like pulling teeth to have a conversation w/ her.

Me: "So..."

Her: "Yeah."

Me: "How's things?"

Her: "Oh, you know."

Me: "Mmmm. Hmm. Say, did you hear about (whatever)?"

Her: "Yeah."

Me: "Yeah. Crazy, huh?"

Her: Silence

Me: "Anyway........... Yes Sir! What can I get for you? (A customer! Thank God!)

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 03, 2009 08:41PM) (new)

I'm not dull! I'm sharp as f---!

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 04, 2009 05:04PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I usually like the productive hours at work, too. Esp. when they're quiet. Tomorrow morning at 7, when I'll probably arrive at work, I'll have the building to myself, I can make coffee and clean out my inbox, etc. and feel productive. I like that.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And Montambo, I'm glad people like you are in the world...but I couldn't keep up with you in a million years:)

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) that was good Shelly.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments When I have to work the next day, I try to go to bed by 10, and my idea of fun is the Border's Cafe with my journal and my book I'm writing. I read every night before I go to sleep. I almost never go anywhere that isn't in Bradenton or Sarasota. But I'm pretty much never bored--I really like my life. The life I had before was not what anyone would call boring--devout and active membership in a church that most people who don't belong to it consider a cult and an abusive marriage. That was never boring, not ever. And it was never happy either. Pretty much never.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my kids think i am boring because when i am home i like to sit and read quietly or go for a drive in my truck. but i think i go so much most of the time between work, activities, hobbies, volunteering and such that when i am home i just like to power down a bit. guess that is boring

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments A lot of this is just contentment. To me, contentment is a gift, and it doesn't come from the "exciting" stuff. It comes from the quiet routines that give us satisfaction and a feeling of purpose. It's really not boring.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments very insightful leslie. i have often wondered how people can just sit on a porch on a nice day and just watch the day go by (without a book). i guess they are just content, not necessarily bored. good point.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

On a side note here, when I'm on vacation I like to keep going, and take in as much of the area as I can, while a lot of people I know like to sit and relax the whole vacation. I always figure if I want to sit around I can do that at home. But then again at home I don't have the need to have to answer the phone, I will get back to whoever is calling later, which helps me to relax when I am at home. Maybe some people need to go on vacation to relax.

I consider my home my sanctuary.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17316 comments Mod
Oh man, when I'm on vacation I'm a whole different person. It really confused sweeter when on our first morning in Hawaii I got up to go running at 5 am. You're going where?

I wake up early and I have all sorts of energy. But I will channel that energy into sitting in a chair and reading 300 pages in an hour, if I want.

Maybe not that fast. I might be lying.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Leslie wrote: "When I have to work the next day, I try to go to bed by 10, and my idea of fun is the Border's Cafe with my journal and my book I'm writing. I read every night before I go to sleep. I almost neve..."

Wow. That doesn't match my mental image of "church" at all.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I've been avoiding this thread because I thought it might be boring.

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments My church and my marriage were like two vines growing together, strangling a tree--me. Some churches are very destructive, unfortuantly. I was in one for a long time.

message 18: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I haven't been able to come up with an answer to this thread. I'm so boring I can't think of what exactly makes me boring.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori I got nothing.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

Here's what makes me boring to other people: I don't want to talk on the phone. Ever. I don't want to "catch up."

message 21: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments I am awful at the phone. I think I may be allergic. I can not talk for longer than 2-3 minutes, just long enough to figure out what the other person wants and to extricate myself as quickly as possible. I don't know if it's that I don't have the attention span or what, but any longer and I start to tune the other person out- even if what they're saying is the most important thing I've ever heard. I just can't focus on a disembodied nonmusical voice. Perhaps if people sang their conversations to me.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Huh! So nice to hear others have the phone dislike that I do. This definitely made a dent in my popularity in high school, when it seemed like other girls just stayed on the phone for hours and hours, when I just wanted to get off. And go read a book. No wonder no one called me!

message 23: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 06, 2009 02:56AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments There are certain people with whom I can talk on the phone, but they are few and far between. My friend Dan and I can talk on the phone....my friend James and I, too...otherwise, and this is a dirty little secret, I rarely, if ever, answer the phone. Thank you caller ID and answering machines.

Am I the only one who doesn't answer the phone?

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments when i am traveling i talk on the phone lots in airports, shuttles and in rental cars. seems like a good time to say "hey" to some friends. i have one friend who i always call from airports and he always calls me from airports and the trick is to be in a different time zone so we wake each other up. at home i can let the phone ring and ring. i even look at the number on my cell and just let it go to voice mail. you think some people avoid our calls????

message 25: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) I've got some serious phone dislike. If someone calls for a definite purpose or has a story they just have to tell, I'm okay. If someone calls just to bullshit for an hour, I feel like phone is a leech draining away a piece of my life. If you want to talk my ear off, come over so I can be productive while I pretend to listen!

I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number on my caller ID. Less than ten people have my cell phone number and only one of those is someone I work with.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 06, 2009 05:26AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The phone at work is the worst...I try to type very lightly so people can't hear me typing while I pretend to listen.

Oh, and this will sound bitchy, but people who leave long phone messages...like four or five minutes long...why why why why?

shellyindallas I hate to talk on the phone. I leave it on vibrate on purpose so I'm not lying when I return a friend's call at my convenience and say "Sorry, I didn't hear my phone ring. It was on vibrate."

I love, love, love text messaging.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

My best four friends from high school talk to each other all the time--I'm the odd one out. Whenever we hang out, they just all focus on catching up with me, though, so it works! I hate talking on the phone!

message 29: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I don't like talking on the phone and avoid answering regularly. But, YES, Shelly, I love text messaging!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I usually don't enjoy phone conversations, except with my mom. Some people just talk TO you, you know?

message 31: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Wow, a whole bunch of folks who hate the phone like me!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Seriously I thought it was just me, now it seems there is a whole subculture, Yay!

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments My sister, daughter and I hate to make phone calls. It's so bad we have to write a "script" of what we are going to say before we can even think of dialing.

In answer to the original question, I am dull because I think I'm too weird for people to like. Therefore, I stick with books, TV, drinking green tea. That is, if I can make myself get out of bed in the morning. I only go out once a week to buy groceries.

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 23435 comments Mod
I enjoy watering my plants, I hate taking pills or tablets (really, really hate it, I have a pill gag reflex), loathe cleaning, hate talking on the phone. I almost always let it go to voicemail. I would 1000% rather get a text than a phonecall.

message 35: by Susan (last edited Mar 10, 2013 05:01PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I enjoy taking care of my plants. So does my husband and he has taken over many of them but not my orchid which is about to bloom for the first time.

I hate talking on the phone unless it is someone who makes me laugh and is entertaining or I have something to tell them. Otherwise, just text me. I avoid most phone calls until I am ready to talk. On my terms, bitches.

I love looking at seed catalogs. LOVE IT. I will work a seed catalog, dog ear it, repeatedly show my husband this plant or that one, make lists to buy and daydream of gardens I don't have.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Did your name used to be Salvador?

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I like some talk radio but it's hard to listen to because there are so many ads. I occasionally (maybe every 3-4 weeks or so) will listen to Rush Limbaugh just to see what he's ranting about.

I've discovered a pretty good cure for insomnia is podcasts. If I have a podcast going into one ear I can usually drift off to sleep within 20 minutes.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oh, I thought it started with S.

message 39: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3239 comments One of the best inventions ever is caller ID. I only pick up when it's someone I enjoy talking with.

message 40: by Louise (new)

Louise I answer phones all day at work, so I really don't want to spend too much time doing that at home, if I've had a busy day.
I love just hanging around the house listening to music, reading, cuddling the dogs and reading :-)

message 41: by evie (last edited Mar 12, 2013 04:31AM) (new)

evie (ecie) | 4177 comments My breakfast routine is dull. I eat the same thing every morning and I enjoy it.

message 42: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Me too, evie. All I have is coffee.

message 43: by Barb (new)

Barb Davi wrote: "Does anybody listen to those old radio programs from the 30s-50s? I found a TON of them on TuneIn.com. Maybe we could start some sort of listener discussion?"

I think Phil and Jonathan were talking about this the other day ... I don't remember which thread they were in, but feel free to start one up in the music or TV sections!

message 44: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11461 comments Yes, I listen to old shows on XM Radio. I prefer the mystery and detective shows, but will also tune in George & Gracie, or Jack Benny.

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I have free XM right now for 3 months. Unfortunately, it is in the car my husband drives.

message 46: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11461 comments I've always liked CBS Mystery Theater. Lately I've been listening to Johnny Dollar. I don't think it's the same quality, but still sort of fun.

Of course you can never go wrong with Sam Spade, Sherlock Holmes or The Shadow (a little hokier than the others). "It's hypnotic power."

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Amos & Andy was still on the radio when I was a boy. Lone Ranger, too. Yep, I'm older than dirt.

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments When I was young, we didn't have a radio.

For awhile.

message 49: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

When I was young we just banged pots and pants together.

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Yes. I sang into a plastic cup while wearing my brother's batting helmet.

Kids these days don't even know how to entertain themselves.

« previous 1