This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate that words don't mean what I want them to mean!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I was looking at my Merriam-Webster word of the day, when my heart leaped a little:

frigorific

Awesome! Instead of saying something is "friggin' terrific" or "awesome"--which I tend to overuse--I could just say it's "frigorific."

"That last poll I made was frigorific!"

Then I looked at its meaning. It just means causing cold or chilling (not to be confused with chillin'.)

Bummer. That's so not awesome.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, this is like in 7th grade when I read VC Andrews and found the word "melancholy."

I pronounced it: mel-LONK-ohlee and I inferred that it meant, "light-hearted and carefree." I thought it was a beautiful word and so I was saddened to realize that it didn't exist.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments I remember reading the word Alembic in infinite jest and thinking that it meant something like limbless or some shit like that… it turn out to be some sort of archaic thing to distillate… I was so sad =(

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie (angelannie) I like frigorific - lets change the meaning

Servius  Heiner screw french...

hippie.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Soyez gentil, Nick.

message 7: by Donitello (new)

Donitello I think "sanguine" should mean relaxed. It sounds relaxed. Like an Indian word from the Pacific Northwest (where, I believe, they had it pretty easy, so probably were relaxed). Snohomish. Doesn't that sound relaxed? Yeah. Pretty nice all right.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Oh. I thought it meant something to do with blood.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) DAMNIT! How come you always catch me when I can't read??? Huh? I could have sworn that Doni said, "I don't think..." Crap, crap, crap. Why can't I read?????????

Servius  Heiner because you are usually drunk :D

message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie (angelannie) relaxed blood - sounds scary

message 12: by Donitello (new)

Donitello Vampire Prozac.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.