Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Book & Series Discussions > Inheritance Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Is anyone else reading this series? http://www.alagaesia.com/

I have yet to read the latest book but I do own it. The first two books were great. The movie Eragon BOMBED! Awful. No elves, no dwarves? I was so surprised that Paolini said it was a good movie and promoted it. Was it for the money?

message 2: by Sandi (last edited Dec 31, 2008 09:53AM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) My son loved Eragon and Eldest. When we saw the movie of "Eragon", he sat through it slapping his head with his hand because he couldn't believe how far the movie was from the book. Kids want their movies to be true to their beloved books. I tried to watch it as a different entity from the book. Even if I hadn't read the book, I would have hated the movie. It was truly terrible on every level. Worse, it made it impossible to make a movie of "Eldest" that actually followed the story in "Eldest".

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

That is one of the crazy things about the movie Eragon. How would they ever be able to make the second one? It just would have to not follow the book Eldest at all.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, we do... Movies have to be somewhat close to the books... I couldn't stand the move "Eragon"...

And how would they? They told so much information told in Eldest in the first one for it to be possible to make a sequel.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I saw the movie first and thought it wasn't too great. It felt, to me, like a detailed outline of a book. It's a shame, because it had all the makings of a good movie and just... wasn't.
I've read the first book and was pretty pleased with it. I wasn't utterly blown away but I did enjoy it and plan to read the next one soon. I'm glad there seems to be agreement that the other books are as good as the first :)

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Hopefully someday someone remakes Eragon like they remade the Hulk. The first one stunk and then the one with Edward Norton redeemed the franchise.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope they get a better director and screenwriter and remake it as well... and more preferably different actors... Except for Arya and Brom, I didn't like any of them.

message 8: by Court (new)

Court | 0 comments The books are great, the movie stinks. But, here's a question: Are they going to make Eldest a movie?

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

This website is great about Eldest being a movie.. it's points out some differences as to why it would be hard to make it into a movie after the disaster Eragorn came out. For example:

Key characters such as Katrina, the Twins, and Elva, were edited out of the theatrical release of Eragon movie, while, the characters of Solembum and Angela, for some part, and Jeod along with Orik were omitted entirely, without these characters, it would be difficult to make an adaption of Eldest that would follow the book's plot.

http://inheritance.wikia.com/wiki/Eld...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

No, Orik was there.

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Orik was left out of the moive, the only main dwarf in the Eragon movie was Hrothgar, the dwarf king. The film leaves Orik out and gives Hrothgar all his scenes.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (llg132) | 5 comments I know! I hated the Eragon movie. Those hollywood directors always mess up movies based upon a book.

message 13: by Malena (new)

Malena (thefieryheartnz) | 21 comments I haven't seen the movie. I'm usually disapointed with movie adaptations.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (llg132) | 5 comments Yeah. I loved all the funny thing Saphira said in the books but there were non of them in the movie.

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Saphira grew so fast in the movie... they didn't even bother going over any of her growing up.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I know, it didn't! And what's with her naming herself?? Brom was perfect, though. I loved their Brom... even though he died wrong and Arya was there and conscious when she wasn't supposed to be...

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (llg132) | 5 comments Why do movies always change things like that anyway?

message 18: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (joycehansen) | 1 comments gosh, you all convinced me not to see the movie. I just finished the third in the inheritance series (BRISINGR) and I definitely liked it. It kept in line with the writing of the first two, so if you're into the series then you'll like this installment.

One of my everlasting quarrels with Paolini's writing though is that he does a lot of the "TELL" and only some of the "SHOW." There were whole parts in all three of the books that I thought could have diverged into their own books. We could have been looking at a NARNIA situation here, with lots of individual thoughts and books. Instead, Paolini is jamming all his thoughts into 1000 or so pages a piece, only stopping here or there to show us the action. At this stage, though, there's no going back. The final book, I'm fairly certain, will be long and filled with more of the same.

My only hope is that Paolini's writing continues to improve as he creates this end piece, and his next series will be slightly less clumsy since he has spent so much time honing his craft.

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara I am still deciding whether or not I should give this series a try. I hear really mixed reviews.

message 20: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

The first book is wonderful. At least read that one. I have not read the third yet. I would like to wait till the whole series is out first.

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara Angie wrote: "The first book is wonderful. At least read that one. I have not read the third yet. I would like to wait till the whole series is out first. "

I think I just might try the first one, thank you Angie.

message 22: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) Sara wrote: "I am still deciding whether or not I should give this series a try. I hear really mixed reviews."

I tried to read Eragon when it first came out and I couldn't finish it. The writing style was too juvenile and unpolished, too many cliches; it drove me nuts. But I loved the story and I remember thinking what a great movie it would be. I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds like Hollywood ruined it like so many other book adaptations!

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara Bookwink wrote: "Sara wrote: "I am still deciding whether or not I should give this series a try. I hear really mixed reviews."

I tried to read Eragon when it first came out and I couldn't finish it. The writing s..."

That seems to be the common opinion and it's why I have stayed away from it. Though, I think in fairness, I will have a go at the first book at least and see what happens from there. However, at the moment, I have a lot of other books I wish to read first.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 72 comments For a while this series was my very favorite. They are still really great books and I really liked them, but as they went along they seemed to get a little bit worse. They seemed to become more of a love story, and in every chapter Pendragon would pass out! It just made him seem so weak! Also, the movie was nothing like the books and was absolutly HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Melody [not just some girl you can sway] (melo-chan) Pendragon? Don't you mean Eragon? For a while, this was my favorite series also, but I realized he stole a lot of the evil things from J.R.R. Tolkien, and some other stuff.

message 26: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 53 comments Nicole wrote: "For a while this series was my very favorite. They are still really great books and I really liked them, but as they went along they seemed to get a little bit worse. They seemed to become more of ..."

Pendragon...? Wrong series....

message 27: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa | 30 comments I actually like the Eragon movie. But at the time I had seen it, I had not read the book. We just watched Eragon on ABCFamily a few days ago and I am now reading the first book.

message 28: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I like the series as a whole, but it did seem very similar to LOTR. I really think half of the scenes could have been cut out of Brisingr, making a fourth book unnecessary. Does anyone know when the fourth one is coming out?

message 29: by Lacy (new)

Lacy Huddleston (lacyhuddleston) Kritika, I'm not sure when the fourth book comes out but I do know that he is working on it now.

as to the books themselves I liked them a lot. I've read them all once then listened to the on audio books which made me enjoy them even more as I was able to "hear" the other languages and how they were spoken. I've rather creative when I'm reading but am usually way off.
I do agree with you that the books were similar to LOTR but I felt that was only in the style the of the books. the worlds were very different.

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I remember when I was in fifth grade everyone loved Eragon ... I read it, but I wasn't really into it. I'm not much of an "epic fantasy" person. haha

message 31: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i love this series the characters are likable but i wish he would hurry up and bring the next one as its been over a year

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Gosh, has it been that long already!?

message 33: by Dija (new)

Dija Oh, yeah. I can hardly remember what happened in the first few books, it's been that long.

message 34: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) it really has been that long and yeah i cant remember the books that much but i do have the books so maybe when the new one comes out i might have a little reminder

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I was embarrassed how much I needed the summary of the first book when I started reading the second... :\

message 36: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i actually re-read the first one before i read the second and then both again before the third this was back when i didnt read that much ut i now have so many books that i dont think i will be able to re-read the 3 of them as they are really long aswell

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I'm impressed Katie! I wish I were that dedicated!!!

message 38: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) thanks but i cant be that dedicated as i wont be doing it again tey are just too long and plus they get boring everytime i re-read them as i have read so many books that outshine them

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Angie wrote: "Is anyone else reading this series? http://www.alagaesia.com/

I have yet to read the latest book but I do own it. The first two books were great. The movie Eragon BOMBED! Awful. No elves, no..."

I am currently reading the first book, and think it is kind of cheesy. I have been told that it gets better as you go on. Is Eldest better than Eragon?

message 40: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i actually prefered eragon to the others

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

~♡Katie♡~ wrote: "i actually prefered eragon to the others"

oh, well thanks. Is there going to be a fourth one?

message 42: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) there is supposed to be but it has been over a year since the 3rd one came out

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

oh. ok.

message 44: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I am not even going to read the 3rd one until all the books are out.

message 45: by Rita (last edited Jan 20, 2010 09:58PM) (new)

Rita Stradling (stradling) I love this series.
I enjoyed reading all your posts bashing the movie.
When the movie came out I brought three friends along with me to the theater saying, "this is going to be as great as lord of the rings."
Now they think I have awful taste.
My favorite scene was the big battle in the end. I think they ran out of money. The leader of the Varden yells "Send in the archers!" and three short men run forword. I have never laughed so hard in a movie, I'm laughing right now writing about it.

message 46: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Banks (catherine_banks) | 6 comments I'm only on Eldest, but I have to say that I love these books so far! I never even thought to look at a dragon book, but now that I'm reading these I can't believe I waited so long!

message 47: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) a friend of mine is going to lend me eragon, i saw the movie and she said the book is sooo much better and i want to read it im impatient

message 48: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) i HATED the eragon MOVIE, but the books are fantastic. no idea what book of the three is my favorite, Eragon, Eldest, and Brisngr were all so amazing.

message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily (-Emily-) | 8 comments The books are good. The movie sucks.

message 50: by Ammelia (new)

Ammelia | 5 comments I loved the books and hated the movie. The movie cut so much out and just was generally crap. Can't wait for book 4 :D

« previous 1

Young Adult Book Reading Challenges

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Eldest (other topics)
Eragon (other topics)