Start by marking “Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)

Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  289,624 Ratings  ·  8,641 Reviews
Darkness falls…despair abounds…evil reigns…Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now Eragon must travel to Ellesmera, land of the elves, for further training in the skills of the Dragon Rider. Ages 12+.

Darkness falls…despair abounds…evil reigns…

Eragon and his drag
Published March 13th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published August 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Eldest, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Serena I would pick up the book from the library and write it out so you know it's right.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brent I have not read this book in quite a while but from what I can remember Oromis was not necessarily dying. He was tortured and cut off from magic like…moreI have not read this book in quite a while but from what I can remember Oromis was not necessarily dying. He was tortured and cut off from magic like you mentioned but I do not recall them actually saying he was dying. He was more experiencing the ravages of time without the benefit of the magic he had his whole life. Like if you or I lived our whole life and then suddenly lost the use of our hands. Not dying but not whole. (less)

Miranda Reads
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-series
Honestly, this book fueled 90% of my dragon-obsession over middle school.

(How obsessed you ask? Tshirts, posters, movies, figurines - if you could slap a dragon on it, I bought it (really not kidding)).

This series will always hold a special place in my heart.
description
Eragon, having survived the great battle, is saddled with a completely unexpected consequence - the Shade's Curse.

He and Saphira are sent to the hidden lands of the elves, Ellesmera, to learn the secrets of the Dragon Riders. But
Swankivy
Aug 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
Mita
Aug 02, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: read-in-2007, fantasy
I hate Eragon, but I was intrigued to see if Paolini has improved, so I borrowed this book and attempted to read it.

I hate Eragon. I hate Eldest even more.

If Eragon is bad, it at least had a semblance of a traditional plot - the introduction, the buildup, the climax, and the teaser for the next chapter of the journey.

Eldest started off with a flat summary, then it went straight into a continuation from the previous story, and around 600 pages of exposition full of step-by-step miniscule details
Marya
Feb 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen-fantasy
Do Elves have pubic hair? Are Orc marriages performed with ceremonies? What is the life cycle of the giant birds the Nazgul ride? If questions like these have haunted you ever since you delved into the world of fantasy, look no further for your answers!

Eldest continues the saga started in Eragon by sending our plucky hero into the land of the Elves in order to complete his training as a Rider. There, we learn absolutely everything you (n)ever wanted to know about the Elves (think of it as though
Ben Alderson
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Slow for the first half but really picked up and actually got very very good!

All the twists and turns introduced have boggled my mind... time to move onto book three...
Anish Kohli
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The world is stretched thin, Eragon. Soon it will snap and madness will burst forth. What you feel is what we dragons feel and what the elves feel—the inexorable march of grim fate as the end of our age approaches. Weep for those who will die in the chaos that shall consume Alagaësia. And hope that we may win a brighter future by the strength of your sword and shield and my fangs and talons.”
Well that was some ride! Amazing! First off thanks to my BR partners, Her Purpleness and Her Pinkynes
James Trevino
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
And the adventure continueeees!!!

Now let me tell you (gosh, I feel like a mother or father here about to teach their children :)): if you are an YA lover or a high fantasy lover you will like this one a lot. I know there's been a lot of talk regarding what should or shouldn't be included in the YA genre, but I think this fits there. Granted, in my opinion, this genre is made of two classes: the old YA and the new YA. And even if some may get upset, the old YA is much much much better than this n
Eric
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone...especially people who love dragons.
Ok thank you for continuing on from my Eragon review. Now remember step one from the last review yea ok we'll call it Step 5: Go to the store and buy Eldest...Ok now follow these steps. Step 6: I hope you've learned from your previous mistakes and set nonperishable snack foods withing reach as to keep reading while eating. Now get an empty 2 littter bottle don't worry..you'll figure it out. Finally get a drink that is pretty good a room temperature or if you just really like cold drinks be sure ...more
Orient
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful BR with my Heartsister Pinky and my favorite gentleman Sir Grumpy! What an excellent ride with Saphy 💜💜💜💜💜💜
Trina (Between Chapters)
4.5 stars!

Truly, I have nothing bad to say about this book. I liked every moment, was engaged, kept finding myself excited about the story. It did many fantasy elements well. I enjoyed the training portions, the shocking revelations, the magic system, seeing young love through a male protagonist's POV, and the fact that injury and disability in heroes during wartime was something that was represented. And DRAGONS. The dragon/rider relationship is my favorite part of this series.

Even though I enj
Alena
Jan 31, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone trapped on a desert island with nothing else to read
Shelves: young-adult
Allison
Jun 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi_fantasy
I was very pleasantly surprised - Eldest laughs in the face of the so-called sophomore-slump curse.

While I liked Eragon enough to give it five stars despite the weird feeling that it was a mediation between Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, it was kind of slim in several places, character- and plot-wise.

Not so in Eldest. Finally, some real meat to the relationships between characters, the government of Alagaesia, and the drive toward battle. My empathy was tested every time I was irritated ov
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fiction
This second installment in the Inheritance Cycle was extremely surprising for me. I find it hard to be surprised by most book endings, and this one had a twist that I was not looking for, so when it jumped out at me, I was almost knocked out of my chair with shock. This book goes much deeper into the world of Alagaesia, its myths and history, and the characters become much more complex. I felt for Eragon as his attempts at romance are spurned, and watched carefully as his bond with Saphira deepe ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle #2), Christopher Paolini
Eldest is the second novel in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini and the sequel to Eragon. Eldest was first published in hardcover on August 23, 2005, and was released in paperback in September 2006. Eldest begins following several important events in Eragon. The story is the continued adventures of Eragon and his dragon Saphira, centering on their journey to the realm of the Elves in order to further Eragon's training as a Dragon
Josh
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Eldest, the second book in the inheritance trilogy by Christopher Paolini is disappointing largely because it's a long book in which very little happens. The narrative through most of the book switches back and forth between Eragon and Roran. Eragon is traveling across Alagaesia and eventually begins training as a dragon rider. As a result we get long swaths of exposition explaining every detail of Alagaesia and the philosophy of dragon riders. It's common in fat fantasies like the inheritance t ...more
Kyriakos Sorokkou
Και ολοκληρώνοντας αυτό το βιβλίο έφτασα στα μισά της διαδρομής, 2 βιβλία τέλος, μένουν άλλα δύο.
Και τι διαδρομή, γονατιστός πάω, λες και πάω προσκύνημα στην Παναγιά της Τήνου. Πολλή ανηφόρα. . .
Τέλειωσα έτσι το πρώτο μισό, το γνωστό, τώρα μένει το άλλο μισό, το άγνωστο, το αχαρτογράφητο.
Νταξ, το τρίτο βιβλίο το διάβασα, αλλά όταν κυκλοφορούσαν δεινόσαυροι στη γη και έτσι δε θυμάμαι τίποτα, μόνο ότι κάποιος σημαντικός χαρακτήρας πάει στα θυμαράκια ή όπου αλλού πάνε ξωτικά/νάνοι κλπ.
Το 4ο ούτε κ
Sabrina
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Remember what I said about the first book in this series? How it shows promise, is an interesting take, blah blah? Yeah, forget it all.

This was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever read. All of the promise and interest in the first story disappeared into a foul-smelling vapor within the first 2 chapters.

The author has obviously forgotten the character parameters he set for his own characters, namely Eragon. This story takes place at most 6-9 months after the end of the first book, in w
Jeff
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Alright. Eragon was a great book. I mean GREAT. There was suspense, action, and a possible romance.
But this book just completely screwed everything up with the boring dialogue and the action less pages.

Yes, this is a very unpopular opinion, so no hate, ok?? :)
So as a person who was obsessed with this series at the time, I fortunately finished the book. Unfortunately, what exactly was this book about??

1.Eragon was a hopeless, romantic ditz that kept running after Arya. Like, dude, nobody wants to
Kenchiin
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
(Most of) the negative critics out there are true, but this doesn't make the story any less enjoyable.
Sean
Sep 24, 2007 rated it did not like it
This is crap. Paolini ditched almost all of Eragon's potential, spending his time in the land of elves who are smarter, more gorgeous, wiser, stronger, faster, longer-lived, better at magic, more hygenic, more tasteful, better at art, music, metalworking, and just generally better in every way than those poor, lowly humans. And. . .every man jack and woman girl of them is an atheist vegetarian! Yes, Paolini takes some clumsy but pervasive swipes against religion, demonstrating that he really doe ...more
Sheila {ShesGoingBookCrazy.com}
This full review can be viewed on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

Buddy read with Maks
Understanding begets empathy and compassion, even for the meanest beggar in the meanest city of Alagaësia.

The battle against Galbatorix' army in the dwarvan mountain realm was only the cusp of the war looming ahead. Now that Eragon and Saphira's presence is becoming known across Alagaësia, enemies arise at every turn.

Strategy, politics, and duty threaten to delay Eragon's much needed jo
Merphy Napier
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, five-stars
This is about my millionth reread. I will never tire of this story or these characters.
Lawrancel
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
“Eldest Book Review”
The book Eldest by Christopher Paolini is a book about a dragon and his rider. The two, intertwined by the magic of thought, journey through the land to Ellemera to study the arts of magic as he prepares to face off against the belligerent tyrant Galbatorix.
The book had many interesting twists and turns. Eragon, the rider, has always thought to be the last rider, excluding the king and his evil riders, know as the foresworn. But suddenly, Ormoris, an Elvin rider appears to
Crystal Starr Light
The writings of Eragon are the lamentations of readers...

NOTE: I listened to this on audiobook, so espect to find the names and places probably hideously misspelled. I would make an effort to correct the spelling if I cared.

Eragon and the Vardan have defeated Galbatorix’s forces at Farthen Dur. But Eragon’s journey has only begun. He must now travel to Ellesmera to learn the ways of the dragon riders from the Elves. Meanwhile, his cousin, Roran, must defend his home of Carvahall from the Raz’ac.
Dave
Sep 03, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I was half expecting Eldest to be an improvement for Paolini, but what I expect never seems to be what I get.

Eldest was lengthy; too lengthy. What were easily 500 pages of adjective oriented action would have been fine at 30 pages tops. It seems as if Paolini is still aiming his novels towards the pre-teen to teen audience, something that paid off for him after making Eragon. It's a shame that strategy worked again.

Besides the one or two exciting twists and turns, the plot did not impress. The
Phoenix2
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers Eragon fans
Shelves: fantasy
Took me a while to notice that I haven't added this book yet. And overall it wasn't that bad. There were some major twists in it, especially towards the end. And I did love when Eragon was with the elves, though some chapters were too long and boring. Also, I didn't really like the chapters with Eragon's cousin. He's not my favourite character of the books and he kind of irritates me, especially when he blamed Eragon for everything. So, I didn't like his chapters. Plus, there weren't many battle ...more
Colleen Houck
I really enjoyed Roran rising up to become his own man and learn all the lessons of being a dragon rider along with Eragon. The level of detail in this story is astounding and it takes a very special kind of writer to not only come up with a story like this but to be able to keep all the different plots moving along smoothly without leaving loose threads that savvy readers could unravel. Bravo!
Hasham Rasool
I thought the first half is a bit boring but then second half is a lot better than first half.

I agree with one review in this book "Will appeal to legions of readers who have been captivated by the Lord of the Rings trilogy." School Library Journal.

Roran is one of my favourite characters.
Aerin
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I try not to read sequels as they come out. With the exception of every Harry Potter book (yes, I attended three of the midnight release parties) and Breaking Dawn (which I bought two weeks after it was released), I wait until an entire trilogy, quartet or series are released in paperback before starting the first one. Like the Faerie Wars or the Derkholm books. I mean, I’m a Tamora Pierce junkie, but I'm still waiting to start the Terrier series.

(Note on paperback v. hardback – it’s a prefere
Jenny
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one better than Eragon. The plot really thickened! I started to get bored about halfway through, until Eragon was "changed" and Roran was in Teirm is where it got interesting. The last half of the book was better than the first. The first half felt so dark and hopeless, then finally you started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Great plot twists, and very believable fantasy!
UCAS English 10 H...: March reading assigment 1 2 Mar 15, 2018 08:53PM
Does anyone remember this quote exactly ? 2 31 Mar 01, 2018 05:34PM
UCAS English 10 H...: November Reading Assignment 1 3 Dec 08, 2017 07:44PM
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • The Rivers of Zadaa (Pendragon, #6)
  • The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #5)
  • The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)
  • The Crow (The Books of Pellinor, #3)
  • Outcast (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #4)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • The Purple Emperor (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #2)
  • Inkspell (Inkworld, #2)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra (Leven Thumps, #4)
  • Evil Star (The Gatekeepers, #2)
Christopher Paolini was born on November 17, 1983 in Southern California. He has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana with his parents and younger sister, Angela. The tall, jagged Beartooth Mountains rise on one side of Paradise Valley. Snowcapped most of the year, they inspired the fantastic scenery in the Inheritance Cycle.

Christopher is grateful to all his readers. He is especiall
More about Christopher Paolini

The Inheritance Cycle (5 books)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)
  • Untitled (The Inheritance Cycle, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now.” 3860 likes
“Wise? No, I simply learned to think.” 958 likes