This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate that you guys don't get to sample any of this cake.

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I'm making pound cakes to take in to work, and i'm thinking about doing a peppermint-chocolate pound cake. Anyone done one before? i'm thinking 2:3 cocoa/ dark chocolate cocoa, and debating on how much peppermint i ought to add. Also thinking about doing several little ones instead of 2 big ones to test it out....Suggestions?

I can't believe i'm asking this question in this group...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Send me some, please. And thank you.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments If I was you I’ll go for a kick ass chocolate/peppermint frosting!!

Or http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolat... just add a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the butter mix =)

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Peppermint extract for flavoring. Strong or subtle? Half teaspoon or tablespoon (with 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla cause of the chocolate...

Not doing frosting. Too lazy, and too messy. Besides, it's for work. If it doesn't look good no one will eat it, and i get to take more home....

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Peppermint frosting on chocolate cake is what you suggesting, Alfonso? I got my own sort-of recipe for the cake. Oh, and that's an estimate on how much flavoring to use. I don't have any actual teaspoons for measuring...

message 6: by Tom (last edited Dec 21, 2008 06:39PM) (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) 2 sticks butter
3 cups sugar
1 cup butter crisco
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup self rising flour(baking powder frightens me)
leeetle bit of salt
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbs. vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup cocoa / dark chocolate cocoa. i'm still experimenting in the ratios. too much dark and it comes out tasting like brownies, too little and it's just kind of meh.

prolly gonna put that in about 4 little loaf pans, so 1/4 of that for peppermint...i'm thinking about half a teaspoon....

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) And i've got some peppermint schnapps in the cabinet, which is basically the same thing as peppermint extract, and it was already bought. Oh, well.

Never tried coffee in a cake Alfonso, and i don't drink it anyway. How about tea? I've got some darjeeling...

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments i'll still go with a whole tea spoon!!! i like to feel my mint mo fo!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Now I'm going to make chocolate mint crinkles. Mmm....

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) chocolate mint crinkles? you intrigue me...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateC...

I add mint extract. 1/2 tsp. if you're Team Bunny. 1 tsp. if you're Team Fonzie.

message 12: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Seriously 4 tablespoons of cocoa, Vicki? Is that even enough to taste? And i didn't know the self rising flour was a Southern thing. The recipe i started out with called for plan flour and baking powder but i was lazy and figured i'd dispense with that and just use self rising. After the first 3 or 4 fell, i read a recipe somewhere else that mixed self rising and plain, and figured i'd do that. Yes, i use both self rising and plain flour because i'm too lazy to deal with baking powder. Also, baking powder frightens me.

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) RE #17: What does team Montambo use?

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's powerful stuff.

message 15: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Dec 21, 2008 08:04PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" My husband used to mix his own baking powder with baking soda and cream of tartar, because he was avoiding aluminium phosphate, which has a possible link to Alzheimer's disease.

I hate Alzheimer's disease! Grrrr. No, seriously, I do. It sucks.

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Speaking of hate KD, did you know that you can poach an egg in the microwave? You just poke a small hole in the top of the egg and cook on high for about 90 seconds. Why don't you try it now!

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Oh, baking powder. Seems to me that something that you use in that small of a quantity, that can make your cake fall if you use too much of it, is something to be wary of. If i use two extra tablespoons of self rising flour, it's no big deal.

message 18: by Tom (last edited Dec 21, 2008 08:10PM) (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Just trying to give you a focus for your hate, is all. I'm helpful like that.

message 19: by Félix (last edited Dec 21, 2008 08:12PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I hate that I don't know the difference between baking powder and baking fucking soda.

Jackie "the Librarian" Baking soda needs acid to work, for batters like banana bread that are acidic.
Baking powder has the acid included for when your batter isn't acidic, like biscuits.

message 21: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Me neither. Which is another reason i just skip it and use a mix of self rising and plain flour.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Bisquick saves the day!

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments You know what I really hate when I comes to baking…. Fucking yeast!!! I hate yeast!!!! Cuz it hates me back!!! I’ve never been able to making fucking bread!!!! And trust me I’ve tried!!!

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeast doesn't respond well to profanity and hate. It needs love (and sugar and warm water) to make it grow.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Is not tricky, is evil!!! Pure evil!!!!!

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Alfonso + any recipe involving yeast = suicide attempt!

Jackie "the Librarian" I hate most sourdough, speaking of yeasty stuff. And I think it's weird how people keep sourdough starter alive in their refrigerators for years. Creepy!

message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Ever try to make beer, Fonso?

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Dude I’ve considered it… but it takes months… when I want alcohol I want it pronto!

message 30: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) That might have been me complaining about the heat...

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 21, 2008 08:32PM) (new)

I used this recipe, tonight, and I used one teaspoon of mint extract and omitted one teaspoon of the vanilla.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolat...

Nice sentence equation, Alfonso!

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Ummmm I’ve been called the yeast slayer… I don’t know Bunny even tho I’ve even monitored the temperate with the yeast once… is just I don’t know!!! It hates me!!!

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think the creature from the movie The Blob began life as a sourdough starter in someone's refrigerator.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments thank you tambo!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.