College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 159 (159 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I'm not sure if you all love to cook..but whenever I'm home I really really enjoy doing it. I figured we could share some of our favorite recipes! :)

My best friend and I made the most banging Christmas sugar cookies ever with this incredibly easy recipe:

PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 5 MIN READY IN: 2 HRS 20 MIN YIELD: 5 DOZEN

INGREDIENTS
COOKIE:
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups all-purpose fl our
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, mix together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer until
light and fl uffy. Combine the fl our, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually stir fl our
mixture into butter mixture until well blended using a sturdy spoon. Chill dough for 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). On a lightly fl oured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch
thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto
ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 4 to 6 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove cookies from pan and cool on
wire racks.
Using an electric mixer, beat shortening, confectioners sugar, water, salt, vanilla extract,
and butter flavoring until fluffy. Frost cookies after they have cooled completely.

also..idk if any of you are preparing your first Thanksgiving meals..but on Oprah yesterday they shared some recipes and they looked GOOD..here's the link:

http://www.oprah.com/menu/food/cookin...

message 2: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I still need to find those two I talked about earlier, but here is the best (easiest and tastes great) fudge recipe ever.

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup chopped nuts
1 9x9 baking pan

Put the marshmallows and nuts in a bowl. You can use any type of nut (walnuts or pecans etc.). Butter the bottom and sides of the baking pan (it will stick if you don't).

Melt together both types of the chocolate chips and the sweetened condensed milk. We use a double boiler, but I have heard that you can use the microwave. After there are no more lumps of unmelted chocolate, dump on top of the marshmallows and nuts, mix, then pour into baking pan. Spread out even into the pan, and put in the fridge. When it sets up, cut into squares.

If you like dark chocolate better, use all semi sweet chips. Hopefully you will like this as much as I do.

message 3: by Annette (new)

Annette (annette_marie_reads) | 39 comments I have made this recipe twice this month for my office and they LOVE it. It is also unbelievably easy and requires no baking!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares

INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons peanut butter

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, mix together the butter or margarine, graham cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter until well blended. Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.

In a metal bowl over simmering water, or in the microwave, melt the chocolate chips with the peanut butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Spread over the prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into squares.

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

mmm I will most definitely be making both of these soon!!

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn tonight I was at a party that had "Reindeer Poop." I'm sure other people have much better recipies for this.. I just asked the girl how she made it and she said:

Melt chocolate and mix with peanut butter and chex mix. Then coat with powdered sugar.

mmmm it is soooo good!

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha, well I know that recipe as "Puppy Chow", but I guess there are other names for it. I can definitely get the recipe from my mom if you want it! =)

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn haha Yeah I think they just change the name depending on the occasion ;]

Kelsey, I would be so grateful if you posted the recipe! It seems pretty easy to make (even for someone who totally sucks at baking - like me).

message 8: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

oh yes! please post that! i've heard it called both of those things..and my one friend calls it "trash"..i just love it so much..its so good!

message 9: by Katerina (last edited Dec 23, 2008 08:42AM) (new)

Katerina | 252 comments ooh yay! I love cookie. these recipes look great.

made some gingerbread men the other day:

ingredients.
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
3 cups all-purpose fl our
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the egg and mix well. Mix in the orange peel
and dark corn syrup. Add the fl our, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves and salt,
mixing until well combined. Chill dough for at least 2 hours, I like to chill overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease cookie sheets. On a lightly fl oured surface, roll
dough out to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies
1-inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are fi rm and lightly toasted
on the edges.

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

mm that sounds good!

message 11: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I can't wait to run down to the grocery store and get all the ingredients and make these!

message 12: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Thanks everyone for the recipes they were all yummy! Well, the ones that I made, I did the Tami's and Annette's.

I also made some amazing chocolate chip cookies and puppy chow, here are the recipes:

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 large eggs
* 2 cups of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
* 1 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.

SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION:
PREPARE dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Puppy Chow
Ingredints:
Peanut Butter (can be substituted with regular butter for those with peanut allegories)
Chocolate Chips (or Hersey's Bottled Syrup)
Chex cereal
Powdered Sugar
and a Gallon sized zip lock baggie

Heat Peanut butter and chocolate (use as much as you want) when heated add chex cereal and make sure you each piece is fairly well covered. Let cool a few minutes put into the zip lock bag add some powder sugar and shake. Add more powder sugar as needed. I also added some peanuts and those were yummy.

message 13: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Mar 28, 2009 11:27AM) (new)

yummy recipe for vodka sauce:

INGREDIENTS

* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 cup vodka
* 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1 cup light cream
* 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 pound penne pasta

1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for an additional minute.
2. Stir the vodka, crushed tomatoes and light cream into the onion mixture, turn heat to high, and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stir in the Romano cheese and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Season finished sauce with salt and pepper.
3. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink. Transfer pasta to a large bowl and pour vodka sauce over, tossing to coat pasta with the sauce to serve.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Here's one for a Mandarin Salad:

Serves 4-6

1/4 cup almond slices
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 head of lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
1/4 bunch romaine lettuce, biter sized pieces
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 green onions (with tops) thinly sliced
1 7 ounce can mandarin oranges, drained

Cook almonds and sugar over low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is melted and almonds are coated. Cool and break apart. Store at room temperature

Place lettuce, romaine, celery and onions in a plastic bag. Pour dressing into bag. Add orange segments. Close bag tightly and shake until salad greens and orange segments are well coated. Add Almonds and shake.

Dressing

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1 tablespoon snipped parsley
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Dash of pepper
Dash of red pepper sauce

Place oil, sugar, wine vinegar, parsley salt, pepper and red pepper sauce in tightly covered jar. Shake and refrigerate.

I just use a bag of salad from the grocery store rather than worry about buying two kinds of lettuce and using 1/4 of it.

I don't add the celery because I don't feel that it would do much. I've made it with and without the green onions and it tastes fine either way.

You can make it with Splenda instead of sugar. Just cut it in half for the dressing. Also the Splenda doesn't melt well, but it tastes fine.

I use red wine vinegar. I'm not sure how it would be with other kinds, but you could try it and let me know.

I mixed the dressing in a measuring cup and stirred with a whisk, then added it to the lettuce and oranges, put the lid on the container, and shook.

Enjoy!

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i'm definitely making that salad!! Did you try the vodka sauce yet??

Today i went to my best friend's bridal shower and she got a bunch of cookbooks and all this kitchen stuff and it made me so in the mood for cooking!

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments i love cooking!! i'm addicted to epicurious.com and a few other recipe sites. I also get Rachael Ray magazine and always make stuff from there..

I just made this the other day..it's a recipe from a flatbread with shrimp and white bean hummus.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/foo...

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

oooh that looks so good!!

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I made the vodka sauce on Friday. It was delicious! I'm thinking that next time I might use macaroni instead of penne (easier to shovel into my mouth in huge bites). I used a big pot to make the sauce and then tossed in the noodles and mixed it up, which worked well for me because at the end I was able to pick a good sized container for leftovers (saving room in the fridge and making fewer dishes to wash). I also sprinkled a bit of parmesan on top. Delightful!

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) This is my favorite make-ahead pot luck dish
Cheese Tortellini Salad
Dressing:
¾ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1Tbsp +1tsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Bunch basil chopped

Salad:
2 Lbs fresh tortellini (found in refrigerated section)
½ cup chopped parsley
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
5 oz. Romano cheese, shredded
¼ cup lightly toasted pine nuts
½ cup green onion

Direction:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil
Cook pasta according to directions (do not keep at constant boil)
Meanwhile whisk dressing ingredients together
Drain pasta and mix with dressing in large bowl, put in fridge to cool
While cooling prepare everything else for salad
Gently mix everything together when pasta has cooled

*can be served cold or at room temp.

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments ***WARNING*** If you have any problems with self restraint regarding chocolate, do not make this! lol.

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well..
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT ! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

Also known as the world's most dangerous receipe, and why? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

message 21: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Kimberly wrote: "***WARNING*** If you have any problems with self restraint regarding chocolate, do not make this! lol.

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons coco..."

oh my goodness. this is amazing. I have to make this sometime!

message 22: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Anybody come across some good recipes lately? I've been dying to make something new!

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) what kinda thing are you wanting to make?

message 24: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

anything! haha. I guess mostly like dinner type foods but I'll take desserts too! :)

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) ok here is a really yummy chicken breast recipe

1 1/2 Cups Chicken broth
Extra virgin Olive Oil
4 boneless chicken breasts
salt/pepper
6 Large Cloves
1 Cup Cider vinegar
2 Teaspoons butter
2 tablespoons salted almonds. coarse chopped

-In pot boil down broth until reduced by 2/3
-lightly film 10 inch saute pan with oil, heat over high heat. Slip chicken breasts into pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lightly brown on both sides, lower heat to med-low and cook uncovered until they are firm to touch but not springy (about 4 min). Remove to platter and keep warm
-Make pan sauce by adding garlic and vinegar to chicken pan. Bring to boil scraping brown bits into sauce until vinegar is boiled down to 1/4 cup. Stir in reserved broth and boil for 2 minutes until sauce is rich tasting but not necessary thick. Adjust salt/pepper and add butter until just barely melted.
-Pour sauce over chicken and top with almonds (I left out almonds)

I only made this once because my family is terrible at predicting when they will be home so anything served immediately is always problematic but it was really good and I think it could easily be cut in half or doubled just depending on how much sauce you make. The recipe also suggests experimenting with different vinegars.

-

message 26: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

fabulous! We just bought chicken today so hopefully I can make it soon!

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) This cake is amazing! It's a Fudge Ribbon Cake. except I change two ingredients in it to make it better...especially if you like chocolate! I use real butter, not margine(I do it in cookies too, makes them taste better) and then I use semi-sweet baking squares instead of the unsweetened chocolate. And I use a buttercream icing. If you want that recipe I can put it up later.

FOR THE CAKE:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups milk, divided use
2 eggs
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CHEESE MIXTURE:
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CHOCOLATE ICING:
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 (6 ounce) package chocolate morsels
1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar

For best results, all ingredients should be room temperature.

TO MAKE THE CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch pan.

Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add margarine and 1 cup of the milk. Blend at lowest speed in electric mixer, then beat 1 1/2 minutes at low speed. Add remaining Cake ingredients, including the remaining 1/2 cup milk. Beat 1 1/2 more minutes at low speed.

TO MAKE THE CHEESE MIXTURE:
Cream butter, 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients for the cheese mixture and beat until creamy.

Spread 1/2 cake batter in prepared pan. Spoon on cheese mixture, carefully spreading to cover. Top with remaining cake batter.

Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool.

MEANWHILE, MAKE THE CHOCOLATE ICING:
Bring 1/3 cup milk and 1/4 butter to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat; blend in chocolate morsels, 1 teaspoon vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy.

Spread evenly over top of cooled cake.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) If you want to use a chocolate icing, the one on the back of the nestle's baking bars is really good!

message 30: by Jennifer (last edited May 29, 2009 09:21AM) (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) Mexican casserole is really easy to make too.

1 Bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos

2lb ground beef

shredded cheese (I usually get a bag of it from the store)

1 Can of Cream of Mushroom

1 Can of Cream of Chicken

1 Can of Rotel (I use the Original or Hot, depends on how spicy you want it, sometimes I add two cans of Rotel) If you don't have Rotel then you can use picanta sauce

Preheat over to 350

You brown the meat and drain it, then you had the cream of mushroom, cream of chicken and Rotel and stir it over low heat till it's mixed well with the meat. Put a layer of crushed chips in the casserole dish then a layer of the meat mixture followed by another layer of chips and the last half of the meat mixture and then add the shredded cheese on top. Put it in the oven at 350 for 40-50 mintues or until the cheese is totally melted.

It's so good! My friends devour it really fast!

message 31: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

oh my gosh Jennifer! I'm definitely writing down these recipes!

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) lol! yep, they are amazing! Especially that cake. It's gone in like fifteen minutes when I bake it. I love to cook. I also took a Cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby, I need to go do the other four classes. That was a fun experience since you had to bring a cake with you to decorate. Good excuse to eat dessert every week. :D

message 33: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I'm definitely going to make those! Both of them sound fantastic! =)

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) Just so you know. There's this website that has tons of restaraunt recipes and other famous foods. It's amazing!! http://www.secretrecipes.com/index.html

Here's two other recipes that are amazing if you like cheesecake and peanut butter cookies.

Peanut Butter Delights(it does take a while to make them, but it's so worth it!)

½ cup shortening
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup creamy peanut butter
1 ½ cups sugar, divided
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Filling:
½ cup creamy peanut butter
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 egg yolk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups milk chocolate morsels

Topping:
1 tablespoon butter
1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
6 tablespoons baking cocoa
3 tablespoons water
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

In large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter, peanut butter, 1 cup sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Roll into 1 ½ in. balls; roll in the remaining ½ of sugar. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheet. Make an indentation in the center of each ball.

In a small mixing bowl, beat peanut butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Spoon ¾ teaspoon of filling into each indentation. Bake at 350% for 12-15 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Melt chocolate morsels; stir until smooth. Dip bottoms of cookies in the chocolate; shake off excess chocolate and place chocolate side up on waxed paper-lined pans. Refrigerate until set.

Melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar and cocoa. Gradually add water, whisking until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Drizzle over tops of cookies. Chill until chocolate is set. Refrigerate in tight containers. Yield: about 5 dozen cookies.

sopapilla Cheesecake
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 (8 ounce) cans crescent roll dough

1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Beat the cream cheese with 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and the vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. Unroll the cans of crescent roll dough, and use a rolling pin to shape the each piece into 9x13 inch rectangles. Press one piece into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture into the baking dish, then cover with the remaining piece of crescent dough.
Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top. Stir the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar together with the cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle on top.
Bake in the preheated oven until the crescent dough has puffed and turned golden brown, about 45 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 squares.

I like it best hot, but it's good cold too!

message 35: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Oh wow! That site is awesome! Thank you!

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) Yep! You're welcome.

message 37: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Seriously. I should weigh like 600 pounds for all that I eat! I hope my metabolism stays this way for the rest of my life so that I can make all of this good food and eat it all! hahah

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) Hehehe..i know what you mean! But, you know what they say...never trust a skinny cook! :D

message 39: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Jennifer, I am totally going to make that Mexican Casserole today, so hopefully mine turns out as awesome as yours!

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) :D I'm sure it will! Let me know how it goes.

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Not exactly a recipe but a while ago I heard that soy sauce helps a burn. I tried it yesterday and it initially took the sting away and it was practically gone today. Just put some soy sauce on a paper towel and cover burn for several minutes, I was in the middle of cooking so I just taped it on for like 10-15 minutes.

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) Really? Interesting. I know meat tenderizer works for bee stings, but never heard about soy sauce.

message 43: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jennifer..made your Mexican casserole last night for the family and the boy! So good!

message 44: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 19, 2009 05:29AM) (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) :D Thanks! Glad to hear it turned out well.

Here's a great chocolate chunk cookie recipe! I mix it up a bit and put white chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Or Peanut butter chips and chocolate chips. It's so good and really easy. I found it on the side of the cake box one day and decided to try it.

http://www.duncanhines.com/newDuncan/...

message 45: by Mike (last edited Jul 04, 2009 08:14PM) (new)

Mike I don't usually enjoy cooking and avoid it whenever possible, but I really enjoyed this recipe. Maybe it's just because it's a white pizza (my fave) with broccoli...which believe it or not actually compliments the pizza:

1 pkg. (10 oz) of frozen garlic bread
1/2 teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning
1 cup of alfredo sauce
1 pkg. (10 oz) of frozen broccoli, thawed, drained ,and coarsely chopped
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375. Line jellyroll pan with foil. Place bread halves on pan, cut sides up. Stir 1/4 tsp. Italian season into sauce; spread 1/2 cup mixture over each bread half. Top with broccoli, dividing evenly. Stir 1/4 tsp. pepper and remaining 1/4 seasoning into ricotta; drop spoonfuls over broccoli. Bake 15 minutes. Take out of oven and sprinkle with mozzarella, then bake until cheese is melted and starting to brown, roughly 5 minutes.

And if you don't like broccoli, just leave it out the broccoli and ricotta, you'll still have a pretty incredible white pizza :)

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments We made this great dinner the other night. It was a shrimp pasta that was really quick to put together and tasted fabulous.

Ingredients:
Shrimp, shelled
Orzo
Olive Oil
Fresh Spinach
Fresh Tomato
Feta Cheese
Lemon or Lime Juice
Butter
Basil
Oregano
Hot Shot (aka pepper and red pepper)
Sea Salt

Cook the orzo al dente. It should take around 10 minutes at the most. While you're doing that, cook the shrimp in a pan with some butter/olive oil and lemon juice, adding spices if you want. Add in some spinach and wilt it. When the shrimp is done, pour it over the orzo and drizzle with olive oil. Dice a tomato and put it on top. Crumble feta cheese on top. Sprinkle with basil, oregano, hot shot, and sea salt. Eat it. Yumm.

You guys might also want to check out this site. It has great recipes and even better pictures.
foodgawker.com

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Just the other day, I made a really great Snickers Pie from a recipe I found somewhere on the Internet.
It tastes REALLY nice, but it's also really rich. Like really, really rich.

Snickers Pie
Crust
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 ounces (1 stick/ 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted

Fudge Layer
4 ounces (1 stick/ 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
8 ounces of Snickers candy bars, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Cream Cheese Layer
10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white

Glaze
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons heavy cream

For the crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie pan.

Combine graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Add melted butter, stirring until well incorporated. Press mixture evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of prepared pan. Bake for 5 minutes, until crust is set. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Keep the oven temperature at 350 degrees.

For the fudge layer:
Combine butter and bittersweet chocolate in the top of a double boiler; set over simmering water and stir until melted and smooth. Remove top insert and cool slightly.

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Set aside dry ingredients.

Using an electric mixer, beat together sugar, egg and egg yolk in a large bowl for 1 minute, until slightly thickened. Add vanilla and cooled chocolate mixture and mix until well blended. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour into crust.

Bake for about 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out with moist batter still attached. If crust browns too quickly, cover with foil.

Transfer pan to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Evenly arrange Snickers bars over the top.

For the cream cheese layer:
Using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add egg, egg white and vanilla and beat until smooth. Carefully spread mixture over the Snickers bars. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cream cheese is set. Transfer to a rack to cool.

For the glaze:
Combine chocolate and cream in the top of a double boiler. Set over simmering water and stir until chocolate is just melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Spread or drizzle decoratively over the pie.

Refrigerate until well chilled. Serve cold. The pie may be prepared up to 3 days ahead. Cover loosely with foil and keep refrigerated.

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) oooooooooooo, I'm so gonna try that!

message 49: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I have been roped into doing a recipe exchange. I am supposed to send the request out to 6 people then send one recipe to the address on my request, so in all it would include 7 postage charges. Is anyone interested?

If you are, send me your address and I will send them out. If I get more than 6 interested, I can either make more to send out, or pass along those addresses to the first 6 I receive to help them with their 6.

message 50: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2009 12:20PM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Cranberry Chicken
(So easy and so yummy!)

1 Can Cranberries (jelly or berry works)
1 Packet Onion Soup Mix
1/2 C. Catalina Dressing
About one package of boneless skinless chicken pieces (about enough to cover the bottom of a 9X13 casserole dish)

Mix cranberries, soup mix and Catalina all together.

Arrange chicken in a casserole dish.

Pour the mixture over the chicken, making sure to cover all of it.

Put it in the oven at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

And you’re done! It tastes best served over white rice.

« previous 1 3 4