Start by marking “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule” as Want to Read:

Vegan legends Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Romero offer vegan-friendly recipes for both classic and innovative cupcakes that dominate the baking world.
The authors of Veganomicon take on the cupcakes in this sweet and sassy guide to baking everyone's favorite treat entirely clear of animal products. This unique cookbook contains over 50 recipes for cupcakes and frostings witworld.
Published October 17th 2006 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published April 3rd 2006)

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
271 books — 379 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,179 books — 1,086 voters

More lists with this book...

melissa
Mar 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
sweet lord...I gifted this to myself as an end of school year/ran my first 5k/I'm really awesome present. For days I stared at the lovely, glossy pictures and dreamed, knowing that soon all these cupcakes would be mine. Much like you might stare at a Picasso in a museum before you steal it. Or you might stare at someone really pretty before you kidnap them. (Kidding!)
So I started off with the "Sexy Low-Fat Vanilla Cupcakes" because mama's got got some booty to work off and, besides, I was savin
Mallory
Mar 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves cooking; vegans
Even my friends who hate veganism can't turn their noses at the killer cupcakes in this book. The peanut buttercream is to die for, and the Tiramisu cupcakes got me laid. Twice. The pineapple "right side up" cupcakes are unique and yummy, and the mint chocolate cupcakes reminded me of Girl Scout cookies. The cupcakes are light and fluffy, unlike many recipes for vegan baked goods which come out like balls of clay.

You will not be disappointed. Trust me.
Gertie
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, even non-vegans
Shelves: food
OMG.

I had almost forgotten what a light and fluffy cupcake is like. Obviously I've been using the wrong recipes (although a nice dense chocolate chocolate chip cupcake is good now and then).
I've made 4 recipes from this book and they've all been phenomenal.

My favorite cupcake so far is the Cookies-n-Cream cupcake.
Holy chocolate!

Not only are the recipes great, but the book is a sweet little concoction with anecdotes, fun writing, and a smart layout.

Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves cupcakes
This book is amazing and so much fun to read. All the recipes are vegan, but don't tell the eaters; they'll never know. Everyone loves these recipes: omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans. Vegans really appreciate them because most cupcakes call for animal products. Once the recipes in this book are sampled, it will be obvious that animal products are superfluous! A really enjoyable cookbook. I can't wait to make some of these with children/teens as it would make a terrific (and delicious) project! ...more
Jen
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Review:

A few years ago I came across this book, an entire book of vegan cupcake recipes. This intrigued me because I was interested to see how well a cupcake would turn out with no eggs or milk. Honestly, I didn't think they would be very good...they'd be too dry or dense. But I'm never one to turn down a cupcake so I bought the book and headed to the grocery store to pick up a few ingredients.

For the next couple of months I baked a different kind of cupcake every week. A
Camille
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is one of the most amazing and diverse collections of cupcakes -- vegan or non -- in the world. Isa has really outdone herself, and she's figured out amazing recipes to help mimic the texture and flavor of all those items that tend to get dry and heavy when veganized (e.g. buttercream frosting). I've found this book has been so great in providing quality dessert options for friends -- it helps accommodate for so many different "restrictive" diets (be it religious, gluten-free, vegan, vegeta ...more
Alexis
Apr 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves cupcakes
Shelves: cookbooks
I, the sole vegan in an office full of vegan-skeptics, have become the designated office baker because of this book. The mexian hot chocolate cupcakes are amazing, as are the plain chocolate, the pumpkin chip (though the icing for those is weird) and the mint-chocolate, and the vegan buttercream is perfect. All of the recipes are fairly easy and I can manage them on just 2 square feet of counter space! You will need an electric mixer of some kind for some of the frostings (not all though), but e ...more
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How many cookbooks have a forward (hi Tegan and Sara) that speaks of a punk chef grandma? Well if it is a book by vegan cook/author Isa Chandra Moskowitz you can expect to find just that! This is not my first rodeo with Isa, but it is with her co-author Terry Hope Romero.

I always read every last word in a cookbook, but only in Isa's, (and now Terry's), do I hang on every last word. I love her (their) style of writing. I seriously would love it if Isa wrote a novel… Or if she wanted to be my fri
Lisa
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is without a doubt the best cookbook I own (and that's saying a lot). I bought this book when I was assigned the task of baking for my lactose-intolerant friend's birthday. I wanted to make her red velvet cake, her favorite, and needed to find a lactose-free version. I have to admit that even I, a formerly pretty die-hard vegetarian and very open-minded kind of girl, was pretty skeptical about how good vegan cupcakes would be. I expected dry, flavorless, nasty little things. Oh, how wrong I ...more
Lauren
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
A really fun little book - so far, I have made two kinds of cupcakes, and three kinds of frosting from the book. Both cupcake recipes were delicious, and two of the three frostings were *great*.

I realize that vegan baking is a exercise in creativity and there is a true art to substitution... but I couldn't help but think that there may have been some other subs for all of the soy products and the sugars in the book. I used almond and hazelnut milk in place of the soy and had very good results.
WaterstonesBirmingham
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was one of the first books that helped me on my way to becoming vegan. It showed me how easy it is to make awesome tasty treats, cruelty-free.

And since cake is all that really matters to me, these recipes were a joy to try out.

It has an amazingly wide variety of flavours for such a small book and I haven't yet made something from it that I didn't like!

Just wonderful.

Grace
Lee
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lee by: Lisa Vegan
I generally wait to give a rating to a cookbook until I've tried a number of recipes. Yesterday, I made the chocolate mint cupcakes (page 73) and took them to a Christmas party. They were so easy and delicious I'm awarding this five stars. This darling little book has lots of great colour photos, clear instructions and a cupcake recipe for every occasion.
Radym
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Maybe I shouldn't have told everyone that I just got this book, because I've promised about 100 people I would make them cupcakes.

Many of the recipes in this book are easy, and all of them are delicious (or at least delicious-sounding... for those I haven't yet made). I really couldn't believe how moist and fluffy the cake was, and now I'm hooked!
Nov 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
I don't care about my cupcakes being vegan; I care about delicious recipes. Everything I've tried so far has been great. Well-written recipes that have been simple, with correct portions and cooking times. A range of skill level and time investment represented.
Trish
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cooking
I love everything these two authors concoct. They make vegan food taste good and feel right.
Crystal Marcos
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Vegan Cupcakes take over the World was a definitely delicious find. Let me start by saying I love cupcakes! Not just eating them, but looking at them. They are just so cute! I guess that is why I call my daughter “Cupcake” as a term of endearment.

Even though I have only made two recipes from this book, I feel I can leave a confident review. Well written, easy to follow directions, extra added tips, and the healthy factor makes this a cupcake book I will return to over and over. Both recipes I made were not 100
Manda
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes their mouth full of awesome
Shelves: favorites
I love love love this book. I adore baking, and having (and made) both regular cupcakes, and some of these vegan ones, I have to say that these are some of the best cupcakes I have ever eaten. Chocolate stout, banana split.... the margarita cupcakes. MARGARITA CUPCAKES!!! WITH SALT!!! Sorry to yell, but if there is one thing that gets me going, its salty/sweet combos. Oh, and there's tequila in them too ;) Easily my favorite so far. I swear, since I've started eating vegan, I've had better tasti ...more
Meryl
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must for any vegan with a sweettooth

This easy to follow and fun-to-read cookbook is a great choice for any vegan who loves sweets and cupcakes. The recipes are fail-proof and delicious. The book is divided into basic cupcakes, fancy cupcakes, and fillings and frostings. I've made more than half of the recipes of the book and have been happy with the results. Most of the ingredients for the recipes can be found at a regular grocery store, and the final products will fool even your m
Bark
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan
This cookbook is highly recommended for anyone looking to eliminate animal products from their diet without sacrificing tasty treats.

So far I've made the basic chocolate, basic vanilla, black forest and peanut butter cupcakes and they were all delicious. Just don't mix them up too much of the center falls. The author explains this in the technique section of the book but it's an error I continue to make.
Erin
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I don't usually bake how this book bakes - For example I would never use vegetable shortening for anything much less to make frosting. And I seem to never have anything I need for the cupcakes in my cupboard leading me down a slippery slope to complete cupcake failure and angst. And I am lazy and don't follow directions and don't like things that involve more than about two steps.

But the Margarita Cupcakes make the entire book worth it.
Ashes
Feb 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Probably the first cookbook I've ever sat down and read cover to cover. While the book definitely is an entertaining and informative read, often the recipes aren't that practical. If I have to go to 3 different stores and order ingredients online in order to make one batch of cupcakes... It's just not going to happen. Her baking advice is really useful and also witty, but I wish she could have given more readily available ingredient substitutions for each recipe.
M
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am not even really a fan of cupcakes or cake in general, but this book may make me change my mind. The recipes are fantastic! I've only made about 4 recipes so far, but they were all good. In the future though I'm going to half the icing recipes, because apparently I don't like as much icing as the authors do and I always have so much icing leftover I have to throw some away. Aw, the chocolate cupcakes are so good, one time I ate the batter until I was sick from sugar overload!!
Grace
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan
This book is great for proving that being vegan can be totally delicious--every recipe I've tried from it so far has totally impressed the non-vegans I've fed them to! So far my favorites are the carrot, the cookies'n'cream, and the raspberry buttercream frosting (I made it with coconut cupcakes, which was awesome)--the only problem is that these are so good I just want to make them over and over again and thus haven't tried too many more recipes from the book!
Kristina
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bakers, vegans
I have made many many many many cupcakes in my life, but these are fabulous in so many ways! They are delicious, and I'd like to believe they're a healthier alternative...even though I know better! Some of the recipies are a little challenging, but if you've baked before and know your way around an oven, you'll love this book.
Megan
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love to bake.
I love cupcakes because of this book. My friends love me because of this book. I am not a vegan, but I think veganism sometimes gets a bad rap. Seriously, nobody ever knows or suspects these are vegan because they are so awesome. Almost every single recipe I've made has been a huge hit with every crowd.
Avispon
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone single person
holy sweetness....VEGAN CUPCAKES RULE! holly and i have decided to make every single recipe and there have been no letdowns yet...our fave so far is the Mint Chocolate Chip with Mint frosting and ganache...oh my god I want one right now!
Nancy Walters
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Over the years, we've made dozens and dozens of cupcakes from this book. The results are delicious, better than many dairy-full cupcakes. My (definitely not vegan) sister just called to get some recipes from this book. Chocolate cupcakes with mint frosting is my favorite.
Deb
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I need a batch of cupcakes, this is the book I grab. I love this book so much, it has become my stand-by gift for my baking friends. Love, love, love this book! Don't worry if you are not a vegan :)
Tara
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves cupcakes!
My friend Abby gave this to me for Christmas, and I can't thank her enough. I love these cupcakes! In fact, they are so great that they helped push over into veganism. Huzzah for yummy, cruelty-free cupcakes!
Kayla
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan, cookbooks
Good recipes! So far I've only tried the chocolate cupcakes with chocolate mousse frosting. They were tasty and easy to make.
Vegan Cooking & C...: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World 5 34 Jan 20, 2016 04:51PM
National Animal Rights Flag Design Contests 1 1 Jan 15, 2015 04:58PM
Goodreads Vegetar...: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (favorites?) 11 23 Jan 10, 2014 10:47AM

• The Joy of Vegan Baking, Revised and Updated Edition: More than 150 Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet
  • Vegan Lunch Box: 130 Amazing, Animal-free Lunches Kids and Grown-ups Will Love!
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
  • Hot Damn and Hell Yeah! Recipes for Hungry Banditos and the Dirty South Vegan Cookbook
Oh goodness, there is a date of death dropdown menu on this form. Do the fine people of goodreads know something that I don't?