The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 20.3. Best Review: Chris MD's Task - Fiery Tunes

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 05:57PM) (new)

Sandy | 16182 comments Mod
20.3. Best Review: Chris MD's Task - Fiery Tunes

Adele’s “Set Fire to the Rain” has been burning up the charts, which got me thinking about how many song titles include the word “fire.” For this task, you will select a song with the word “fire” in the TITLE, and then read a book where any of the MAIN words from the song title also appear in the book’s title or subtitle (series titles are not allowed). Articles and short prepositions don’t count (in or on = not OK; through or below = OK). For example, if you use “Set Fire to the Rain,” you could read any book with "set," "fire" or "rain" in the title. The word must appear exactly as it does in the song title. (There is one exception: Saint for St. is OK.)

I have provided a list of the best known fire songs (that I could find) below. Words that can be used for this task are in caps. You may use another song title, BUT YOU MUST CLEAR IT FIRST IN THE HELP THREAD. This is the only list the mods will check to approve a completed task.

REQUIRED: Include the song title you used in your post.
CHARIOTS of FIRE
COLD FIRE
FEEL that FIRE
FIGHT FIRE with FIRE
FIRE and DESIRE
FIRE and ICE
FIRE and RAIN
FIRE BURNING
FIRE EATER
FIRE ESCAPE
FIRE in the HOLE
FIRE LAKE
FIRE on HIGH
FIRE on the MOUNTAIN
FIRE WOMAN
GREAT BALLS of FIRE
HEART on FIRE
I DON’T WANT to SET the WORLD on FIRE
I’M on FIRE
INSIDE the FIRE
JUMP into the FIRE
LAKE of FIRE
LIGHT MY FIRE
PAPER and FIRE
PLAY with FIRE
RING of FIRE
ST. ELMO’S FIRE (Saint is OK)
SET FIRE to the RAIN
SEX on FIRE
SET ME on FIRE
SET the WORLD on FIRE
SMOKE from a DISTANT FIRE
the FIRE DOWN BELOW
THROUGH the FIRE
WE DIDN’T START the FIRE

message 2: by Chris (last edited May 17, 2012 12:41PM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Additional approved songs

Note to Mods: "I" (as in I Don' Want to Set the World on Fire") is acceptable. It's a noun, so it's a major word.

BLOOD FIRE WAR HATE
COMIN' UNDER FIRE
FIRE and WATER
PATH of ENDLESS FIRE
WORDS & FIRE
FIRE from a GUN
LOVE like FIRE
METAL FIRE from HELL
FIRE FOREVER
This PLANET'S on FIRE (BURN in HELL)

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments oh, good task! time to go and comb the mybooks pile ;)

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments As soon as I saw your tasks, one of my favorite songs came to mind, one that's not on the list: "Words & Fire" by the Sam Roberts Band. Hoping it will be acceptable to use the word "words" for the task...

message 7: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I would like to use "Comin' Under Fire" by Def Leppard
(yay 80's music!)

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Words & Fire

and

Comin' Under Fire

are both fine. Will add them to the list.

message 9: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments I would like to use "Fire and Water" by Great White.

message 10: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments How about "Blood Fire War Hate" by Soulfly? Thanks.

message 11: by Ann A (last edited Mar 03, 2012 06:24AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments Fun task, Chris! There are several books on my TBR I could use for this. I immediately thought of:

Catching Fire, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and Light in August

Oh, and These Is My Words, thanks to Stacie's song.

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4081 comments Jayme VA wrote: "How about "Blood Fire War Hate" by Soulfly? Thanks."

Oh, Chris, if you approve Jayme's song, I have the perfect book to read!

message 13: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Ann A wrote: "Fun task, Chris! There are several books on my TBR I could use for this. I immediately thought of:

Catching Fire, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and [book:Light in Au..."

These is My Words is amazing! Loved it!

message 14: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmarble) | 316 comments Could I use The Girl Who Played With Fire for Play with Fire?

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Cassie wrote: "I would like to use "Fire and Water" by Great White."

FIRE and WATER is fine.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Jayme VA wrote: "How about "Blood Fire War Hate" by Soulfly? Thanks."

BLOOD FIRE WAR HATE is fine.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Ann A wrote: "Fun task, Chris! There are several books on my TBR I could use for this. I immediately thought of:

Catching Fire, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and [book:Light in Au..."

Yes, all of those would word.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Bea wrote: "Jayme VA wrote: "How about "Blood Fire War Hate" by Soulfly? Thanks."

Oh, Chris, if you approve Jayme's song, I have the perfect book to read!"

Good to go.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Meagan wrote: "Could I use The Girl Who Played With Fire for Play with Fire?"

Sure can.

message 20: by April (new)

April Can the word be in the subtitle? The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements? World in book and I Don't Want to Se the World on Fire.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments April wrote: "Can the word be in the subtitle? The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements? World in book an..."

Yes, subtitles are fine - but not series titles.

message 23: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Mar 07, 2012 10:37AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments **Never mind, just saw the song in the list. I missed it the first time I looked. Sorry******

How about the song Heart on fire by Life Divided? If so, then I could use the book Heart of Evil by Heather Graham yes???

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Beth NC wrote: "**Never mind, just saw the song in the list. I missed it the first time I looked. Sorry******

How about the song Heart on fire by Life Divided? If so, then I could use the book Heart of Evil ..."

Yes. Actually I see songs called Heart on Fire and Hearts on Fire, so I'll add both of them to the approved list.

message 25: by Kara (new)

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Kara wrote: "Would Path of Endless Fire count?

Here's the wikipedia article that shows the song (track 2)"

That works. Thanks for the link!

message 27: by BZMoney (new)

BZMoney | 160 comments Could I read Middlesex using the word "Sex" from song title "Sex on Fire"?
Please!

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Birish wrote: "Could I read Middlesex using the word "Sex" from song title "Sex on Fire"?
Please!"

Sorry, no. Whole words only.

message 29: by BZMoney (new)

BZMoney | 160 comments I would like to use "Fire from a Gun" by the Gills? I plan on reading Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.
Thanks!

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Birish wrote: "I would like to use "Fire from a Gun" by the Gills? I plan on reading Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.
Thanks!"

You got it!

message 31: by Dee (last edited Apr 20, 2012 03:45PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Chris
Love Like Fire - http://www.songlyrics.com/hillsong/lo... - i'm planning on using Wrestling with Love

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Dee wrote: "Chris
Love Like Fire - http://www.songlyrics.com/hillsong/lo... - i'm planning on using Wrestling with Love"

Fine and dandy. I'll add them to the approved lists.

message 33: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1546 comments Can it be 'fires'?

Song: Fires In Hell

Book: Erasing Hell

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Kazza wrote: "Can it be 'fires'?

Song: Fires In Hell

Book: Erasing Hell"

Unfortunately the plural won't work BUT.... I did find a song called Metal Fire From Hell." Looks like that would work for you. Just use that title when you claim your points. I'll put that and the title of your book in the approved list.

message 35: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1546 comments Chris wrote: "Unfortunately the plural won't work BUT.... I did find a song called Metal Fire From Hell." Looks like that would work fo..."

Oh thanks!! That's fantastic :)

message 36: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Thanks to google I found the song Fire Forever.

Could I use the book Forever with that song?

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Isabell wrote: "Thanks to google I found the song Fire Forever.

Could I use the book Forever with that song?"

That works. Will add to the lists.

message 38: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Chris wrote: "Isabell wrote: "Thanks to google I found the song Fire Forever.

Could I use the book Forever with that song?"

That works. Will add to the lists."

Thanks.

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Chris - Sammy Hager's - This Planets On Fire (Burn In Hell) - http://www.mp3lyrics.org/s/sammy-haga... - Hell is ok to use right?

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Dee wrote: "Chris - Sammy Hager's - This Planets On Fire (Burn In Hell) - http://www.mp3lyrics.org/s/sammy-haga... - Hell is ok to use right?"

Yep, it's good. I love the songs people have found for this task!

message 41: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments would like to confirm
"Heart on fire" and I would read Sister of My Heart
is ok?

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Aleksandra wrote: "would like to confirm
is ok?"

Yes, Heart on Fire is already on the approved list.

message 43: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Chris wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "would like to confirm
is ok?"

Yes, Heart on Fire is already on the approved list."

Thank you :)

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Chris - another one - Deep Fire - John Butterworth - I can't find the lyrics, but I can listen to the sample on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Fire/dp/B0...

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments just pinging Chris - I'm holding off reading a book until you ok this ;) - it wasn't the book I planned on reading but a freebie that one of my groups just put out - Into Deep Waters

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments Sorry for the delay. My email has been messed up all day. Yes, that song is fine. Will add song and book title to the approved list. Happy reading!

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments thanks!! yay!! lol - I always feel like i'm a difficult one when it comes to asking about books ;)