The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 25.7. Mstan's Task: Cooking With Fire and Back to the Basics

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 08:24PM) (new)

Sandy | 16450 comments Mod
25.7. Mstan's Task: Cooking With Fire and Back to the Basics
I love food! Without fire, I think our culinary adventures would be so much more limited... The aim of this task is to have fun finding out about how food can be prepared (with or without heat).

Book 1 - Read a book with the title containing the name of a dish that is normally/can be presented in a cooked (with heat/fire - steamed, fried, sauteed, baked...) form OR a book with a cover containing the image of such a dish.

For the title option, a NOUN reflecting the 'cooked' part of the name of the dish must be used. I will accept Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal ('rack of lamb') or Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, but not a title with the word 'cow' in it (we don't normally name our dishes 'cow'...) or a title with the word 'fried' in it (as 'fried' is an adjective, not a noun).

REQUIRED: For the cover sub-option, please post a link to the cover image. If the food is of an ambiguous nature (e.g. something that might either be a hard-boiled egg or raw egg, please post in the help thread and I will probably approve it for either option).

Book 2 - Read a book containing the name of a type of food that need not be cooked to be enjoyed. This may or may not go with the first 'dish' you chose (I won't judge you if you choose to eat a slice of cake for Book 1 and lettuce for Book 2). Here, you also have the sub-option of reading a book with a cover featuring such a type of food instead. Most fruit and many kinds of vegetables would work here, e.g. Slice Juicy Moments from My Impossible Life by Steven Herrick (mostly-eaten watermelon).

REQUIRED: For the cover sub-option, please post a link to the cover image.

Note: I will not accept generic words such as 'food', 'meat' or 'salad' for either option. Seasonings and spices will not be accepted either. If the dish you choose contains both raw and cooked ingredients and I can't tell which is which on the cover image (e.g. sushi), please see the 'required' field below for guidance - the requirement should cover this.

Required: Name the dish where the name of the food might appear (e.g. 'fish and chips') and/or explain in your post how the food is usually cooked or eaten if this is not clear/there is no corresponding dish name (e.g. 'I like to eat raw baby carrots as a snack' or 'This is sushi, which contains both cooked rice and raw cucumber. I'd like to use it for Option 1 (or 2).').

Useful lists:
Food in Book Titles
Food on the Cover
Mmmm....Food on the Cover

Please keep in mind that not all books on these lists may fit the task.Please do not post in this thread until the task creator has reserved posts 2 and 3.

message 3: by mstan (last edited Mar 20, 2012 06:38AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Generally OK for Option 1:
Coffee
Tea

Special notes:
I will accept pictures of eggs for either Option 1 or 2 if it is not clear whether the egg is cooked or not. I will also accept chocolate for either Option 1 or 2 as heat is involved in the preparation of chocolate, but it does not need to be cooked at home to be enjoyed.

Please see post #48.

Not approved:
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle ('vegetable' is too generic for the title option; however, this can be used as Option 2- cover as there are radishes on the cover Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver )
The Sugar Queen ('sugar' is not a type of food)
Steamed ('steamed' is an adjective, not a noun)

message 4: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Is there enough pie on this book to use it for the book 1 cover option?

The Real Werewives of Vampire County by Alexandra Ivy

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will these work for book 1 You Wish by Mandy Hubbard adn book two I Was a Teenage Popsicle

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Bake Sale Murder

Do baked cupcakes work?

message 8: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments For book 1 would the cupcake work in
Devilish by Maureen Johnson

and for book 2 would the apple work in
Devoured by Amanda Marrone

Thanks

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Can I use a cover image of ice cream for book #2?

How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer

message 10: by Lavinia (last edited Feb 28, 2012 11:34AM) (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) How are The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues for book #1 and Heartbeat by Sharon Creech for book #2?

message 11: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments would Gingerbread work for Book 1
and The Moons Of Jupiter by Alice Munro for Book 2?

message 12: by Christine US (last edited Feb 28, 2012 01:15PM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I have a question... I was thinking of using Cream Puff Murder.
Technically, they need to be baked initially -- but I enjoy them right out of a fridge. Is that something that would be a Book A or Book B?

message 13: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 1016 comments Just double checking:

Option 1) Shuck Beans, Stack Cakes, and Honest Fried Chicken The Heart and Soul of Southern Country Kitchens by Ronni Lundy

Option 2) A Place Called Sweet Apple Country Living and Southern Recipes by Celestine Sibley

message 14: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4163 comments I'm thinking of Eat Cake for book 1 and Walking on Walnuts for book 2. Will that work?

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10974 comments Would A Red Herring Without Mustard work for book 1 or book 2? I think people eat herring raw or pickled (*blech*), but they can be smoked, too.

message 16: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I want to check these...
A-The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

AND

B- Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3017 comments Does Coffee Count?

message 18: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Sassafrass, JennRenee and Jodi (#4, #5, #6) - OK.

KathyG (#7) - This works for Option 1 (cover). You'll need to post the cover image when you post.

Keltie Lee, Jessica, Lavinia, Aleksandra (#8, #9, #10, #11) - OK.

message 19: by mstan (last edited Feb 28, 2012 06:38PM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Beth NC, Bea (#13, #14) - OK.

Kristi (#15) - OK, but do mention in your post that you are referring to how herring can be smoked.

Meghan (#16) - OK for both. I guess people do eat raw eggs!

Jayme (#17) - Yes, I'll accept it for Option 1.

message 20: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Christine US wrote: "I have a question... I was thinking of using Cream Puff Murder.
Technically, they need to be baked initially -- but I enjoy them right out of a fridge. Is that something that wou..."

Hi Christine, doesn't the choux pastry have to be baked in any case? I can accept this for Option 2 though because whipped cream, a significant ingredient in the 'cream' puff, is technically 'raw'.

message 21: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Will this work for an apple? It looks gold and not a real apple.

Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 900 comments Will Animal, Vegetable, Miracle work for either option since vegetable can be cooked or raw?

message 23: by Angie (new)

message 24: by Kathy G. (last edited Feb 29, 2012 03:51AM) (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Will donuts work for cover option 1?

Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery #2) by Jessica Beck

message 25: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Kathy G - OK for both.

Cindy - I would classify 'vegetable' as a 'generic' word or category header, like 'meat'. I would prefer something a bit more specific.

Angie - #2 is fine, but 'Steamed' is an adjective, and a noun is needed for the title option in #1.

message 26: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4163 comments How about beverages? Coffee, tea, wine.

message 27: by Fran (last edited Feb 29, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Fran | 736 comments Just wanted to check on these from my tbr-

For #1- Miracle of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #2) by Astrid Amara (looks like cookies or latkes on cover) or Stirring Up Trouble (Stir #1) by Z.A. Maxfield (looks like meat on right side of cover)

For #2- Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper or The Vincent Boys (The Vincent Boys, #1) by Abbi Glines or Stirring Up Trouble (Stir #1) by Z.A. Maxfield (looks like tomatoes on left) or The Raider by Jude Deveraux (looks like small bucket of apples to the left of window)or Life From Scratch by Melissa Ford (berries in bottom spoon)

Thanks!

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments mstan wrote: "Kathy G - OK for both.

Cindy - I would classify 'vegetable' as a 'generic' word or category header, like 'meat'. I would prefer something a bit more specific.

Angie - #2 is fine, but 'Steamed' is..."

Ooh, I read part 1 wrong!

message 29: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments I was thinking of Freakonomics A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt for book 2...but then realized that the fruit on the cover seems to be an apple/orange. I wasn't sure if this counted since it looks like 50/50 of each? Weird question! :)

message 30: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments Just checking to see if the following books will work for this task?

For book #1: Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1) by Sue Ann Jaffarian has a picture of an apple pie on the cover

For book #2: Like Water for Chocolate chocolate

For book #2: The Sugar Queen

For book #2: The Peach Keeper

message 31: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Could I use the "Peach" in Peach Cobbler Murder for option 2?

message 32: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Valorie (#31) - OK

Mariya (#30) - everything OK except 'Sugar Queen' (I consider sugar a seasoning).

Randi (#29) - OK

Bea (#26) - OK for option 1 (except wine - although heat is used at some part, I'd say it's not a big part of the process and so would put it in option 2 - correct me if I am wrong though, because I'm not an oenophile).

message 33: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Fran (#27) - everything OK except Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - I am assuming she has a lollipop in her mouth but I can't see it.

message 34: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Thanks mstan. I actually think it's a pencil in her mouth now that I enlarged it on my iPad. I'm glad you mentioned it, I think my eyes are aging rapidly :)

message 35: by Chel-c (new)

Chel-c | 21 comments Hey!
does The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn work?? Huckleberry is the state fruit of Idaho

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Which, if either could I fit The Cereal Murders? Thanks!

message 37: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Chel-c (#35) - OK for option 2

Kathryn CA (#36) - OK for option 2

message 38: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments would The Cupcake Queen The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler work for option 1 and Ella Minnow Pea Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn work for option 2 (I love raw peas from my garden)?

message 39: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Robin (#38) - OK for both!

message 40: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Hi Mstan!

Book 1: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Book 2: The Grapes of Wrath

Will these work?

message 41: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hi Anne (#40), both work! Happy reading! I love The Grapes of Wrath.

message 42: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I just want to check:

Option 1: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Option 2: Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty

Please and thank you!

message 43: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hi Meghan, I replied to you in msg #19 - both are fine!

message 44: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Haha!!! I couldn't remember if I did or didn't and couldn't find my post :)

message 45: by Meranda (last edited Mar 07, 2012 09:01PM) (new)

Meranda (msl87) just want to make sure these work ...

book 1 - french fries - Fast Food Nation The Dark Side of the All-American Meal by Eric Schlosser

book 2 - Sushi for Beginners

message 46: by mstan (last edited Mar 08, 2012 03:14AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hi Mandy Sue (#45) - OK for both but do state that sushi contains seaweed (uncooked).

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments For book 1, how about Catcher in the Rye for rye bread??

message 48: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Kim wrote: "For book 1, how about Catcher in the Rye for rye bread??"

Hi Kim, this is a grey area because it's little like asking for 'lemon cake' to be truncated to 'lemon' and used for option 1. When I mentioned that 'a NOUN reflecting part of the name of the dish must be used', the noun must be a significant cooked part of the dish itself (e.g. 'mashed POTATO').

message 49: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments That's okay, I'll find something else, I have some other ideas. Catcher In The Rye worked perfectly for Donna Jo's 30.5. Thanks for answering so quickly!!

message 50: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 839 comments I would like to use Shades of Milk and Honey for Book 2.

« previous 1