The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > March Scattergories Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Feb 27, 2012 09:06AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat)

Scattergories is one of my favorite games to play, and reading one of my favorite pastimes, so I’ve combined the two.

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.
This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

Duration: March 1st to March 31st

Rules:
1.Any genre of books will work
2.Ebooks and audio count
3.You can read in any order
4.Rereads are ok but if you really reread the book

Points: You get one point for each category you can tie to a book, where the first letter begins with the letter of the month. You get double points for each time the letter of the month is used to begin a word (ex. for author if the letter was C, Cassandra Claire would be 2 points). We will not be deducting points for duplicate answers like the original game version does.

…..Note….. if you have already earned 1 point for an item and come across another item worth more points you can replace it. Please only list the one book that you are currently using for points.
Special categories are open for interpretation. As long as it is mentioned in the book and you can justify how it fits, it will work.

When you find one of the items list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), date it, and specify where the item is found within the book. (i.e. page number, e-reader location, audio chapter)

Just like the regular game we will not use the letters Q, U, V, X, Y and Z.

Let me know if you have any questions.

message 2: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Mar 01, 2012 12:35PM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) .
General
1.Book Title:
2.Author:
3.Main Character:
4.Secondary Character:
5.Place:
6.Cover:

March Specials
The name of March comes from ancient Rome, when March was the first month of the year and named Martius after Mars or Ares, the Greek god of war. For those locals that practice it Daylight Savings Time begins in March. March is Women’s History Month. March is also the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. Saint Patrick’s Day is in march and often celebrated by wearing o’ the green , or loud festivals or parades where things are shouted.

7.Something to do with war:
8.Something to do with time:
9.Womanly:
10.Green:
11.Spring:
12.Something Shouted:

message 3: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Feb 29, 2012 03:21PM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) The letter of the month is R

message 4: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Mar 05, 2012 08:59AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Participant list:

Leslie = 2

Dana

Dawn = 8

Barbara = 6

Lisa Kay = 4

message 5: by ~Leslie~ (last edited Mar 25, 2012 06:48PM) (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I'm in! I loved doing last month's challenge and now that I've figured it out, I'm so excited!

11/12 Letter R

GENERAL
1.Book Title:Rainshadow Road 3/22/12 **** stars 1 POINT
2.Author: (J.D. Robb) Ceremony In Death 3/20/12 ***1/2 stars 1 POINT
3.Main Character: Earl Ranulf de Warbrooke The Black Lyon 3/7/12 ***1/2 stars 1 POINT
4.Secondary Character: Princess Rhiannon Dragon Actually 3/12/12 ***1/2 stars 1 POINT
5.Place: Russia Elijah 3/16/12 ****1/2 stars 1 POINT
6.Cover: Red Lover Mine 3/11/12 ***** stars 1 POINT

BONUS POINTS
7.Something to do with war: "The chain swung in a pale metal arch and wound itself around Rodriquez's neck with unnatural precision. " p. 77 Magic Strikes 3/8/12 ***** stars 1 POINT

8.Something to do with time: " My heart may never recover." p. 200 The Mane Event 1 POINT

9.Womanly: . . . react to him as a woman reacted to a man." location 1041 Lord of the Abyss 1POINT

10.Green: ". . . rolling plains of verdant green." location 3122 Lord of the Abyss3/1/12 **** stars 1 POINT

11.Spring:

12.Something Shouted: " The only sounds I usually hear from you cats are roaring and hissing." p. 175 The Mane Event 3/6/12 ***1/2 stars 1 POINT

READ
Lord of the Abyss (Royal House of Shadows, #4) by Nalini Singh The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews The Black Lyon (Montgomery, #1) by Jude Deveraux Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5) by J.D. Robb Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken Elijah (Nightwalkers, #3) by Jacquelyn Frank Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

message 6: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 2557 comments FOUND: 0/12

GENERAL:
1.Book Title:
2.Author:
3.Main Character:
4.Secondary Character:
5.Place:
6.Cover:

SPECIALS:
9.Womanly:
10.Green:
11.Spring:
12.Something Shouted:

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melorem) I'm in. I didn't do so well with February. Looking for a little luck for the month of March :)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Yay for an easy letter!

The letter of the month is R.

message 9: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Yeah! I love the letter R! I'm ready for this challenge this month.

message 10: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) For the specials, can we use the same book for different ones? Does that make sense? I know you told me that I can only use a book once for the other point categories, so I'm not sure if it applies to the special categories.

message 11: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Leslie wrote: "For the specials, can we use the same book for different ones? Does that make sense? I know you told me that I can only use a book once for the other point categories, so I'm not sure if it applies..."

Ok, only one book per category. So you can't list Rebecca York and Stephanie Rowe to get 2 points for the Author. You would have to pick one or the other, or go for Rosemay Rogers to get your 2 points.

But you can use each book for as many as you can get. You don't have to read 12 different books. If you find all 12 items in 1 book you would be a Super Star!

message 12: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Okay, Dawn - that makes sense. I actually knew that, I just confused myself momentarily :=} ( my husband would tell you this is an easy thing to do).

message 13: by Dana (last edited Mar 05, 2012 06:24AM) (new)

Dana (erato) I'm not all that good at this but I'm trying it! :)

March Scattergories Challenge
Letter:

FOUND: 0/12

GENERAL:
1.Book Title: Raven Cursed
2.Author: Undone by Rachel Caine
3.Main Character: Roxy Tam; Sins of the Heart
4.Secondary Character: Roran; Inheritance
5.Place:
6.Cover: Red; The Thief

SPECIALS:
9.Womanly:
10.Green:
11.Spring:
12.Something Shouted:

Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4) by Faith Hunter Undone (Outcast Season, #1) by Rachel Caine Inheritance (Inheritance, #4) by Christopher Paolini The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver

message 14: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Mar 05, 2012 08:53AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) 8 Points

General
1.Book Title:
2.Author:
3.Main Character:
4.Secondary Character:Reyes The Darkest Seduction, Gena Showalter 3/5/12 1 POINT
5.Place:
6.Cover:Rings The Darkest Seduction, Gena Showalter 3/5/12 1 POINT

March Specials
7.Something to do with war:Rage The Darkest Seduction, Gena Showalter 3/5/12 Kindle loc 111 1 POINT
8.Something to do with time:Right now The Darkest Seduction, Gena Showalter 3/5/12 1 POINT
9.Womanly:Red lips The Darkest Seduction, Gena Showalter 3/5/12 Kindle loc 1981 1 POINT
10.Green:
11.Spring:Rain Hallowed, Cynthia Hand 3/2/12 pg 82 1 POINT
12.Something Shouted:Ranting and raving The Darkest Seduction, Gena Showalter 3/5/12 Kindle loc 1021 2 POINTS

message 15: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Dana, I will be reading Undone this month as well. I have become a Rachel Caine junkie. I am on the third in Weather Warden Series. I just love her writing and the world she has created.

message 16: by Dana (last edited Mar 03, 2012 07:59PM) (new)

Dana (erato) I started reading WW back long before the series was finished and I remember how painful that was. :( It is one of the reasons that I have held off on reading this series. I know I will love it and she is still writing it. Agh, the wait!

The Weather Wardens are awesome aren't they? :)

message 17: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 125 comments I will try again.

message 18: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 04, 2012 07:13PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2557 comments FOUND: 6/12

GENERAL:
1.Book Title:
2.Author:
3.Main Character:
4.Secondary Character:
5.Place:
6.Cover: Red shoes, Just Like Heaven 3/2

SPECIALS:
7.Something to do with war: underground Railroad p155 Across the Great Barrier 3/3
8.Something to do with time: did not Rise again for twenty-four hours p211 Just Like Heaven 3/2
9.Womanly:
10.Green: we were Riding past green meadows p88 Across the Great Barrier 3/3
11.Spring: forget spring, said Rachel p66 Linger 3/4
12.Something Shouted: the second Rider shouted p299 Across the Great Barrier 3/3

Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1) by Julia Quinn 3/2 Across the Great Barrier (Frontier Magic, #2) by Patricia C. Wrede 3/3 Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater 3/4

message 19: by Lisa Kay (last edited Apr 01, 2012 09:12AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) TLC: March Scattergories

The letter of the month is R

12/12

General
1. ✔ Book Title: Rainshadow Road, by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★★ audible.com 3/3 “buddy read”
2. ✔ Author: J.D. Robb = Loyalty in Death ★★★★★ PB 3/23
3. ✔ Main Character: Rainey Adams = Texas Rain, by Jodi Thomas
        ★★★★✩ OneClickDigital 3/18 “buddy read
4. ✔ Secondary Character: Daphne Rondo (Kelly Heart's producer. A fairy queen.) Silver Borne,
        by Patricia Briggs ★★★★½ OD audio 3/5
5. ✔ Place: Rainshadow Road
6. ✔ Cover: Red Texas Splendor, by Lorraine Heath ★★★★★ HC 3/3 (Read 3rd in 3:1 book.)
Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) by J.D. Robb Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1) by Jodi Thomas Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs Texas Destiny, Texas Glory, Texas Splendor by Lorraine Heath

March Specials
7. ✔ Something to do with war: “But he left as soon as he realized there was going to be a
         Pig War party.”

8. ✔ Something to do with time: By the time the man had reached her, she had struggled to her
         feet.
= Chapter 2.
9. ✔ Womanly: I had progressed from skirts to Rationals, from Rationals to a form of bloomer;
         in my last season I had taken the bull by the horns and ordered a costume that seemed
         to be to combine utility with womanly modesty.

10. ✔ Green: Eve studied the steady green eyes, saw anger but not shock or remorse.
11. ✔ Spring: In spring and autumn, puffs of water vapor broke the horizon as pods of
          orca whales chased after salmon runs.

12. ✔ Something Shouted: “Are you hurt, are you hit?” she shouted to Roarke, unaware
          that their hands were still fused together.

message 20: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 25, 2012 05:22PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2557 comments FOUND: 12/12 (12 POINTS)

GENERAL:
1. Book Title: A Red Herring Without Mustard 3/10
2. Author: Nora Roberts - A World Apart 3/22
3. Main Character: Lady Rhiannon - Divine By Choice 3/5
4. Secondary Character: Roman DuValle - Legacy of Stone 3/7
5. Place: Rosalia, Colombia - Crazy Cool 3/20
6. Cover: Red shoes, Just Like Heaven 3/2

SPECIALS:
7. War: underground Railroad (Civil War) p155 Across the Great Barrier 3/3
8. Time: did not Rise again for twenty-four hours p211 Just Like Heaven 3/2
9. Womanly: after Rhiannon's first womanly courses p297 Divine By Choice 3/5
10. Green: we were Riding past green meadows p88 Across the Great Barrier 3/3
11. Spring: forget spring, said Rachel p66 Linger 3/4
12. Something Shouted: the second Rider shouted p299 Across the Great Barrier 3/3

Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1) by Julia Quinn 3/2 Across the Great Barrier (Frontier Magic, #2) by Patricia C. Wrede 3/3 Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater 3/4 Divine By Choice (Partholon, #2) by P.C. Cast 3/5 Legacy of Stone (Les Gargouillen #3) by Vickie Taylor 3/7 A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3) by Alan Bradley 3/10 Crazy Cool (Steele Street #2) by Tara Janzen 3/20 A World Apart by Nora Roberts 3/22

message 21: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Tried to get to 12 points but just never could find that last category! So Sad :={ Congratulations to everyone who did.

message 22: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Congrats to all. I am out on vacation, but I will get the points tallied and posted at the end of the week when I get home!

message 23: by Lisa Kay (last edited Apr 01, 2012 01:04PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) Leslie wrote: "Tried to get to 12 points but just never could find that last category! So Sad :={ Congratulations to everyone who did."

Yes, you did, Leslie! See my spring from the same book in post #19. ☺

message 24: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) I think finding "womanly" was the hardest for me - let alone with the letter "R" involved. I guess I need to read more "feminine" book, LOL!

message 25: by Cathy (last edited Apr 03, 2012 05:56PM) (new)

Cathy Galloway | 125 comments I didn't do as well this month

March Scattegories
General
1.Book Title: No Place to Run 3/20/12
2.Author: Rachel Gibson, See Jane Score 3/23/12
3.Main Character: Rachel Morgan , A Perfect Blood 3/16/12
4.Secondary Character: Rowena Shadowfever 3/7/12
5.Place: Fraser’s Ridge The Fiery Cross 3/13/12
6.Cover: City of Bones : Jace is covered with runes 3/4/12

March Specials
The name of March comes from ancient Rome, when March was the first month of the year and named Martius after Mars or Ares, the Greek god of war. For those locals that practice it Daylight Savings Time begins in March. March is Women’s History Month. March is also the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. Saint Patrick’s Day is in march and often celebrated by wearing o’ the green , or loud festivals or parades where things are shouted.

7.Something to do with war: I knew why war was as often revered as feared. (Shadowfever) 3/7/12
8.Something to do with time: Right now ( Destiny) 3/17/12
9.Womanly: her slender body was firm and rounded in all the right places (The Pleasure Palace)3/15/12
10.Green:
11.Spring:
12.Something Shouted: You raped me! (Shadowfever) 3/7/12