Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Books set in 1860 - 1930s and relating to mining or gold rush

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (archerlindsay) | 10 comments I recently went on holidays to Ainsworth B.C. which is a little spit of a town offering a hot springs and lovely beach shoreline and a wicked hike to a historic cemetery dating back to the 1890's. I was so swept up in the place and the few historic places and stories that I came away desperate to know more. I plan on finding some non-fiction but I do love a good HF book too so any recomendations? It doens't have to be set in B.C. or even Canada for that matter but I would love it all the more if it was!

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 25, 2012 06:45PM) (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 29 comments Two books that I can think of that deal with gold mining are Calico Palace by Gwen Bristow, which deals with the 1849 California gold rush, and The Colour by Rose Tremain which is set in New Zealand. One that I really enjoyed was Heartbroke Bay by Lynn D'urso, which is about the Klondike.

message 3: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 534 comments I've read:
Jason's Gold, in which Jack London is a character.
The Call of the Wild, told from the sled-dog's POV.
Daughter of Fortune (really liked this one).

message 4: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 233 comments I read and recommend Take Me Homeby Brian Leung.

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 140 comments I haven't read this series, but I think it's mystery series set in Colorado. This is the first book: Silver Lies by Ann Parker

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna | 281 comments I recently read Gypsy by Lesley Pearce which is about the gold rush to Canada.

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (archerlindsay) | 10 comments Wow thank you so much to everyone who has so far contributed! Its like the good book fairy came while I was asleep! I have added everyone of these books on my To-Read List and plan to hit the library on a mission today.
Thank you!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 269 comments I'm with Rebecca: I love Calico Palace!

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 29 comments Good luck with the library, and looking forward to what you have to say about these books when you read them.

message 11: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments Grubstake: A Story of Early Mining Days in Nevada Time 1874 I am not sure if this is HF or not, but it will be accurate to say the least. It was written by my great grandfather. His father hit it big in the "mother lode" in Nevada and Mark was also a miner. I have yet to get a copy of this one to read myself.

While I have a long family history in mining, I have yet to read any HF on it so I am curious what you think of these books as well!

message 12: by Shay (new)

Shay | 140 comments Kristine wrote: "Grubstake: A Story of Early Mining Days in Nevada Time 1874 I am not sure if this is HF or not, but it will be accurate to say the least. It was written by my great grandfather. ..."

If you go to www.worldcat.com you can run a search for the book and it will search the book's availability in libraries. I did run a search and found a copy at
University of Utah
J. Willard Marriott Library
SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84112 United States

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 208 comments The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt but based after 1849 rush though

message 14: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 691 comments Much of Colleen McCullough's The Touch was set in a mining town in Australia?

message 15: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments Shay wrote: "Kristine wrote: "Grubstake: A Story of Early Mining Days in Nevada Time 1874 I am not sure if this is HF or not, but it will be accurate to say the least. It was written by my gre..."

Shay, you are a plethora of information! :) I know right where that is too....I may have to ask one of my daughters friends who attend the U to check it out for me.

message 16: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (archerlindsay) | 10 comments Wow more excellent recomendations- thank you! Hopefully there are others out there enjoying these suggestions as well!

message 17: by Loren (new)

Loren DeShon (lorendeshon) | 23 comments Comstock Lode by Louis L'Amour. It's longer and not as formulaic as many Louis L'Amour's, and it gives an enjoyable picture of the early days of the Comstock Lode silver strike in Virginia City, Nevada.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ribbons of Grace by Maxine Alterio is set in the Otago, New zealand gold rush.

message 20: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 691 comments One that I read in the late 70s and loved was The Proud Breed by Celeste De Blasis!

message 21: by Maude (new)

Maude | 832 comments Men to Match My Mountains: The Opening of the Far West by Irving Stone apparently FORGOT THE WOMEN!!!

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | -44 comments Daughter of Fortune was really good. It was the first book that I've read by Allende. I have Calico Palace and hope to read it soon.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) While its not the main plot, one of the characters is obsessed with mining and it goes into a little bit of detail. Penmarric by Susan Howatch