Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Discussion for Charley Davidson Series

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Charley Davidson Series
First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones For I Have Sinned (Charley Davidson, #1.5) by Darynda Jones

Which one will you read? If you have read them all which one is your favorite?

message 2: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 4 comments I have read them all and I think my personal favorite was the very first one, "First Grave on the Right." Getting to meet all the different characters for the first time was a lot of fun! And I listened to audio books for them and the narrator was so much fun!

message 3: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 49 comments I've read them all, and I'm not sure which is my favorite. It wasn't quite what I expected, but still pretty good, and quite entertaining.

I like how snarky Charlie is, though sometimes its the only language she speaks.

message 4: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Ebba (jenniebba) | 6 comments I love the second one, Second Grave on the Right . You get an deeper look at all the characters and Reyes has more parts in the story. Charley shows a more vulnerable side too.

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 1573 comments I have read and loved them all. Hard to choose just one. I liked a lot about each one, but agree with Nikki that it was a lot of fun meeting them all for the first time. Cannot wait for #4!

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill | 111 comments I haven't read any of these, I might try and get through a few this month though.

message 7: by Purple (new)

Purple (purpletan) | 14 comments I've laughed out loud for the two books i've read so far. It just keeps me coming back for more. I have the third book already and saving it for when I can savor it the best kind of day. :-)

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I have read these books. For me they are good filler books, ones to read while you are waiting for the ones you really want to read. I think the author tries to hard in the humor. Everything Charlie does has to be funny, every comment snarky, it is just too.... for me.

message 9: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) I haven't read any yet. I'm going to try First Grave on the Right and see how the series work for me.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 43 comments I read all three of these almost two weeks ago and loved them. I recommend to paranormal lovers to read. Funny, snarky, and sexy, it has it all.

message 11: by Nawnee (new)

Nawnee (nawnees) | 4 comments I've read them all and I love all of them even the short story. I'm horribly addicted to this series and read the first 2 book in a day they were just to good to put down when the 3rd finally came out it took me a day to read it and then I was just upset because I was done and will have to wait for book four to be released. I will probably reread the series while I wait though :)

message 12: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 4 comments Darcy wrote: "I have read these books. For me they are good filler books, ones to read while you are waiting for the ones you really want to read. I think the author tries to hard in the humor. Everything Cha..."

I agree. They *are* funny but sometimes it seems like she's reaching just a bit to throw a snarky comment in that wasn't necessary.
And I also agree about them being good filler books. I'll follow the series but doubt I do any re-reading with them.

message 13: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I agree with both Darcy and Nikki I like the series but I am not sure I would reread it. The only thing that really irritates me about the series are the jokes. It also annoys me that she cannot seem to find the time to figure out who she really is and what she can do. Outside of those two issues I do enjoy the books when I read them.

message 14: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 26, 2012 08:32PM) (new)

Stephanie (thirstyflea) | 3 comments Oh, I love these books! I read them all in a row just before the third one came out.

But I think the things that I love about them are the things that seem to bother some of you- Charley and the jokes and the banter and how chaotic she is ;-) I like it because it's not the norm in this genre- it's "lighter" for lack of a better word, but in a good way. I appreciate that she's original, and shallow, and has ADD. It keeps it fun for me! I'm really looking forward to the fourth book :-)

message 15: by Nawnee (new)

Nawnee (nawnees) | 4 comments Stephanie wrote: "Oh, I love these books! I read them all in a row just before the third one came out.

But I think the things that I love about them are the things that seem to bother some of you- Charley and the ..."

These are all the reason's I love these books too and she isn't afraid to speak her mind which I think is great plus her sometimes spastic nature reminds me of some great friends I have

message 16: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 40 comments Darcy wrote: "I have read these books. For me they are good filler books, ones to read while you are waiting for the ones you really want to read. I think the author tries to hard in the humor. Everything Cha..."

BINGO! I've only read the first one and I'm contemplating reading the second, but I'm not sure if I want to just yet - there are other books calling me first. And I couldn't agree more about the author trying to hard in the humor area - Snarky comments are great - especially when they are well timed and not over done. I have been told that the second and third have a little less snarkiness - it's there, it just doesn't take over every page.

message 17: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I am reading the third now, just 25 % into it- I enjoyed the first one the best so far. The second one was a bit (just a tiny bit) of a disappointment, with her attention being drawn in an unbelievable direction. Their have been a few moments of TMS (too much snark) but I enjoyed the laugh. This is what I love, humor mixed with the paranormal. I love Charley, she is somebody i would love to be friends with, Grim Reaper and all. From her T-shirts to her coffee addiction I can relate. I have found them all fun, easy and fast reads. This is what I want in a book I read an enjoyable time, and Charley has alway delivered for me.

message 18: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I have a question that I cannot recall. What happened to Charlies mother and why does her step mother hate her so much?

message 19: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments One more question does anyone think her HEA will be with Reyes?

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I don't know there. He is old as dirt and things would have to change. I would rather see her with Garret. I think he has a secret crush on her.

message 21: by Abby (new)

Abby  | 62 comments I finished the first book the other day... Seems like it's going to be an interesting series...

message 22: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I hope so. It starting to feel a bit iffy. Maybe there is another for her? I hope not .Dawn wrote: "One more question does anyone think her HEA will be with Reyes?"

message 23: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Initially I wanted them to have an HEA but now...(view spoiler) Clearly I have given this to much thought LOL

message 24: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 49 comments Dawn wrote: "Initially I wanted them to have an HEA but now...[spoilers removed] Clearly I have given this to much thought LOL"

Charlie says the same thing. well, more or less. Reyes answers that somethings need to be learned, not told.

I'm not defending him, ok.. mayb I am.. but the guy was (view spoiler) He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

message 25: by Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (last edited Mar 13, 2012 12:40PM) (new)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Dawn wrote: "I have a question that I cannot recall. What happened to Charlies mother and why does her step mother hate her so much?"

Charlies mom died giving birth to her...she was the first person to "pass through" Charlie...I don't think it is every really explained why the step mom hates her....my guess is that she does not understand her or believe what she can do and she is jealous of her

message 26: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I have a question that I cannot recall. What happened to Charlies mother and why does her step mother hate her so much?"

Charlies mom died giving birth to her...she was the first pers..."

Right now I remember THANKS SOOOO MUCH!

message 27: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Still not sold on Reyes...

message 28: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 49 comments Dawn wrote: "Still not sold on Reyes..."

How abt Garett then? He's good. Seems to like Charlie, and (view spoiler)

message 29: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Arushi wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Still not sold on Reyes..."

How abt Garett then? He's good. Seems to like Charlie, and [spoilers removed]"

He would be a great catch and honestly I thought (view spoiler) so it is still in my mind that he is in the friend zone.

I guess my issue is I want Reyes to be for her but he treats her like crap.

I am conflicted LOL

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 43 comments I've read them all. I loved each of them. I guess my favorite would be the first one. But they are all great in my book.

message 31: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 204 comments Dawn wrote: "I guess my issue is I want Reyes to be for her but he treats her like crap...."

Yeah, but remember, Reyes treats her like crap because he doesn't want her near him so his "dad" doesn't find her. He's trying to keep her safe.

message 32: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 51 comments I finished Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones earlier this week. Like the first book, I liked it but I didn't love it. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think when the humor works it's really funny but it doesn't always work for me. Sometimes it feels a little forced. I also think it's a bit jarring that the mysteries and plot is pretty dark. It doesn't seem like it really fits with the tone. (view spoiler)

All that said, I do like them and will read more in the series. The things above are just reasons it isn't among my faves.

message 33: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Joseph wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I guess my issue is I want Reyes to be for her but he treats her like crap...."

Yeah, but remember, Reyes treats her like crap because he doesn't want her near him so his "dad" does..."

Excellent point Joseph!

message 34: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 49 comments KarenF wrote: "I finished Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones earlier this week. Like the first book, I liked it but I didn't love it. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think when the humor works i..."

So true! There are times when I am incredulous. Its like.. really? How can this be turned into a joke?

Anyhow.. Charlie.. is very ADD without being ADD.. its kinda weird in an interesting way. Sigh.. but yeah, it bothers me too at times.

message 35: by Jasmine Byron (new)

Jasmine Byron | 3 comments I just started reading Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones

I'm interested in wanting to know which direction this book is going in terms of Reyes and charley.

message 36: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 8 comments I read the three in this series. Love the series. Not sure which I liked best, probably the first book. I like that she is chaotic and snarky. I don't really like Reyes and wish she would give Garrett a try!