Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Project Gutenberg

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69300 comments Mod
Project Gutenberg offers over 38,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.

We carry high quality ebooks: All our ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers. We digitized and diligently proofread them with the help of thousands of volunteers.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

My son just told me about this site, and I have downloaded 16 already!! Thought I'd make a new thread for it, so it wouldn't get lost in the system O_o!!!

Perhaps those of you with a kindle, or eReader, can list the books you download....

Have fun!!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Oh this site..I remember looking at it and then some reason I found that I couldn't find a thing...Surely I did something wrong XD

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) A lot of them are free on kindle too, but it's easy to add to kindle if needed

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Feb 21, 2012 02:49AM) (new)

Knowledge Lost wrote: "A lot of them are free on kindle too, but it's easy to add to kindle if needed"

Yes, thanks KL, I've worked out how to transfer them across (with help...thanks Laura!!) I guess you knew about this site before?

message 6: by Khenan (last edited Feb 21, 2012 03:08AM) (new)

Khenan Bragador | 140 comments I've got a few hundred from that site already, along with some other cool free sites. :D I finally broke down and started reading How to analyse people on site (always seems to be one of the top downloaded :P)

Project Gutenberg Australia is also avaible and is probably safer if you're worried about australian public domain compared to american. This site is smaller though and a bit more messy/harder to find the books, though i have found some books on this one that weren't on the main gutenberg site :)

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Khenan, I'll check that one out too:)

message 8: by Graham (new)

Graham Storrs (grahamstorrs) Ha! About 5 minutes before I read your post, I downloaded The Communist Manifesto by Engels and Marx from Project Gutenberg for my Kindle.

PG doesn't always have Kindle versions of everything I go there for but mostly they do and conversion is pretty straightforward using Calibre anyway. I have sometimes paid $2 or $3 to get 'complete works of' collections from Amazon (e.g. Trollope, Austin, Wilkie Collins, etc.). It's very convenient but they are usually American editions and I much prefer to read my English writers untranslated!

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Glad you're using it too Graham...it's a great site!