Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2012-03 - Classics - What will you read in March?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Can't wait to see what you guys are putting on your lists for this shelf, there are so many good ones.

Classics

message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1644 comments For another groups "resolutions" challenge, I have on the list:
Emma by Jane Austen
Candide by Voltaire
The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
and for another group's read Dicken's (200th Birthday), I'll pick one of his books.
Don't know if I'll get these all done, but it's the plan :)

message 3: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
I am starting with Les Miserables and then adding The Moonstone, The Catcher in the Rye and Fahrenheit 451.

message 4: by Candiss (last edited Mar 07, 2012 07:54AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) I will start with The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, as I will already be reading it with another group.

I have several other book commitments already in place for March, so I won't bite off more than I can chew (A new tactic for me!) by telling myself I'll get to any more than one monthly shelf selection. But if/when I find myself finished with my other reads, I'll move on to:

Some Prefer Nettles by Junichirō Tanizaki
The Vet's Daughter by Barbara Comyns

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3451 comments Mod
I have dozens on my TBR that will qualify, and nearly 20 on my Nook. So I may do a lot of playing by ear, especially early in the month when I'm likely still to be working on S&N.

But at the top of my list to try to be sure to fit in are:
The God Project
To the Lighthouse
The Time Machine
and Doctorow's version of I, Robot, in spite of the fact that I think it got on the list by being confused with Asimov's version.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I have The Chocolate War on my bookshelf so I hope to get to it this month.
Depending on time I may try to read The Crying of Lot 49 and/or Emma.

message 7: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments I loved Emma, but I love Jane Austen so I totally recommend Emma ;op

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I have The Old Curiosity Shop sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. And a few other classics on my tbr list. Should get something read this month :)

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments On my phone right now...but planning on reading at a minimum

Agnes grey

message 10: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 66 comments I was a Lit major so I made my way through many of the "classic classics" then. So for this shelf I plan on going with some genre classics. I've been listening my way through Agatha Christie so for this month it'll be The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

If I get a chance I'm also going to read The Fellowship of the Ring because it's one of those books I can't believe I haven't read.

message 11: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid | 0 comments Oh my! Oh my! There are so many good ones on this shelf. The first page is either on my read shelf or to-read shelf. I'm going to have to play it by ear but here are a few that I want to read.

A Tale of Two Cities
Crime and Punishment
Dracula
Gone With the Wind
Les Miserables
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Count of Monte Cristo
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Wuthering Heights

If I'm luck I can get a few done :)

message 12: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments KarenF wrote: "I've been listening my way through Agatha Christie so for this month it'll be The Murder of Roger Ackroyd."

That is my FAVORITE mystery by Agatha Christie. I've been re-listening them in audio and that's the next one on the list. :)

I hope you enjoy it!

message 13: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 01, 2012 03:59PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2827 comments Mod
I have quite a few I would love to read, but do to other commitments, I think I will stick with:

Rebecca
Dracula
Wuthering Heights
And Adding

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina | 232 comments I loved Rebecca Lyn!

Lyn M wrote: "I have quite a few I would love to read, but do to other commitments, I think I will stick with:

Rebecca
Dracula
Wuthering Heights"

Tina wrote: "I loved Rebecca Lyn!

Lyn M wrote: "I have quite a few I would love to read, but do to other commitments, I think I will stick with:

Rebecca
Dracula
[book:Wuthering Hei..."

Hey Tina - How are you? I started Rebecca a while ago and really liked it, but then I left it at my sister's house and never got to finish it. I am looking forward to maybe getting it finished in March.

message 16: by Luann (last edited Feb 23, 2012 10:44PM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments I'm going to just plan on one so that I'll (hopefully!) finish it - this time! :) I started Oliver Twist a few years ago and got more than half way through when I got distracted with other books and stopped. I always planned to go back and finish, but I never have. Now I have it on my Kindle and as an audiobook, so I really have no excuse, right? :)

ETA: Also, it's been so long since I read the first half that I'm going to start over from the beginning.

I do that a lot, Luann. If I somehow get interrupted, I would almost rather start over than start in the middle.

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott It's been on the shelf for a while, but I'm going to finally take the plunge into Heart of Darkness

message 19: by Krait (last edited Feb 27, 2012 03:16AM) (new)

message 20: by Krait (new)

Krait | 58 comments Scott wrote: "It's been on the shelf for a while, but I'm going to finally take the plunge into Heart of Darkness"

I hope you enjoy it. Conrad is one of the best authors for stringing a sentence together in the English language. As a matter of fact, I think I'll join you in reading it...

message 21: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) Scott wrote: "It's been on the shelf for a while, but I'm going to finally take the plunge into Heart of Darkness"

I read HOD last year for a uni course. Hope you enjoy the read - its very thought provoking!

message 22: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1606 comments I am starting with Middlemarch: A Study of Provincial Life, then I might move on to Les Miserables.

message 23: by Sian (new)

Sian (greatblueosian) My first Pick-a-Shelf attempt! Perhaps a bit ambitious (by my standards anyway) - trying The Odyssey. I always find 'classics' tough to tackle so if I make it through this one, I might choose another later.

message 24: by D.G. (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Woohoo! The book I picked for the spirituality shelf (for S&L) is also in the Classics shelf!

So I already started The Prophet. :)

message 25: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I haven't actually read that many classics besides what was assigned to read in school, so the field is wide open for me to try some new ones. So far I am looking at these three.
Agnes Grey
The Woman in White
The Scarlet Pimpernel

message 26: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I have been trying to get in a Dickens book in for another group, so I just started The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

message 27: by Tina (new)

Tina | 232 comments Mindy wrote: "I haven't actually read that many classics besides what was assigned to read in school, so the field is wide open for me to try some new ones. So far I am looking at these three.
[book:Agnes Grey|..."

Min, I loved the Woman in White.

message 28: by Tina (last edited Mar 05, 2012 04:31PM) (new)

Tina | 232 comments Hmmm, I've got lots that I'd love to read on this shelf! Here's my narrowed down list though. . . I thought I'd tackle the books that everyone on the planet have read but me :)

The Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring

and if I get to others I'd like to finish these (but will mean restarting them)
Lorna Doone: A Romance of Exmoor
Wives and Daughters
Dracula

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments I think I will read The Grapes of Wrath. It's one that was on every reading list but that I somehow never got to. I'm surprised at how many I've read from this category but also surprised at how many EVERY high schooler seems to have been assigned but that I avoided. Lol

message 30: by Diana S (new)

Diana S I'm currently reading Jane Eyre.

message 31: by Maye (new)

Maye (mzheng2199) I'm going to start with Lord of the Rings. Finishing this trilogy by the end of the month seems impossible though.

message 32: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1644 comments There were a few books that I planned to read, but I started with Great Expectations and haven't finished with it yet.

message 33: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 16 comments I'm starting with Jane Eyre, but I hope to be able to read also Wuthering Heights.. and finnaly move the Bronte sisters to my "read" shelf!
Ok, minus Anne.. but still...

message 34: by Bea (last edited Mar 19, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
I won't finish Les Misérables, but I am making headway. I will read The Catcher in the Rye this week. I substituted The Old Man and the Sea for the planned Fahrenheit 451. I also plan to read 1984 which has been on my TBR for awhile. I am also reading now The Moonstone and Giovanni's Room, which are both on the classics shelf.