UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Gray Justice (Tom Gray, #1)
This topic is about Gray Justice
Meet the Authors > Alan McDermott - new(ish) author on the block

Comments Showing 1-50 of 254 (254 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Hi everyone,

my name is Alan and I am the author of Gray Justice. It was published in July 2011 and has been quite well received so far. Most of the readers were particularly impressed with the twist at the end - none of them saw it coming!

When a son is killed by a career criminal who spends just a few months in jail for his crime, the father can either accept the decision of the court, or make his voice heard: When it happens to Tom Gray he chooses the latter and takes retribution to a whole new level.

You might think this is just another tale of revenge but that couldn't be further from the truth. The protagonist feels that not only is the killer responsible, but the justice system itself should have done more to prevent his one-man crimewave.

I could tell you more about this book but you'll be able to make up your own mind a lot easier if you download the free sample from Amazon or just read the reviews (all genuine readers).

I hope you find it entertaining and worth a huge 72p!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Welcome to the group, Alan!

Your book looks just my thing. Thanks for telling us about it!

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2336 comments Thanks Alan, certainly sounds interesting.

message 4: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine  | 4585 comments Just put this on my wish list after a reccomendation by Rachel Abbott.Sounds right up my street.

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Good old Rachel, she knows a good book when she reads one :-)

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine  | 4585 comments Would have bought it today,but i bought 4 books yesterday,and i didn't want to get 'the look' from my husband.

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments No problem Lorraine, there's no sell-by date on it :-)

message 8: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine  | 4585 comments My husband probably wishes that they did have.

message 9: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Alan, above you say it is 72p. On Amazon.com, which I have to use, it is $8.14!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments It's $1.22 for me. I suppose it varies depending on where you are.

message 11: by Alan (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:06AM) (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Where are you, Vic? Are you in Italy, France, Germany or Spain? I put the book at 5.99 Euros there because any sale is just money in Amazons pocket (I might get one sale a year and need 400 to get any royalties!) I really want to put people off buying from those countries.

Even when I listed it at 99c on Amazon.com they added another 23c on for some sales tax or other, and I can't list it lower than 99c :-(

If you want a copy you can get it from https://www.smashwords.com/books/view... for exactly 99c and not a penny more!

message 12: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Alan, if you're in the UK and look at Amazon.com, I believe you'll see the sales tax added, but for people that live in the US, it will be only 99c I think if it's priced at that.

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Ah, of course it will. I never considered it that way until now!

message 14: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Alan wrote: "Where are you, Vic? Are you in Italy, France, Germany or Spain? I put the book at 5.99 Euros there because any sale is just money in Amazons pocket (I might get one sale a year and need 400 to ge..."

Hello Alan. I live in France and was shunted to Amazon.com before they opened Amazon.fr.

Actually, at the moment I am in New Zealand but that doesn't complicate the prices.

message 15: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Shaun wrote: "Alan, if you're in the UK and look at Amazon.com, I believe you'll see the sales tax added, but for people that live in the US, it will be only 99c I think if it's priced at that."

That "sales tax" is UK VAT, which Amazon.com have to charge if the sale is known to be in UK.

message 16: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Then Smashwords would be the best place to buy a copy.

message 17: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Alan, none of the above explains why it is appearing as more than 8 dollars on Amazon.com. The sales tax would be a few cents. There must be a mistake, which will be costing you sales. You should get hold of them and sort it out.

I could, as you say, buy it on Smashwords, but that would not help you to rcover from, or even know about, the people who will see the price as over 8 dollars on .com and move on to buy another book.

message 18: by Vic (last edited Feb 21, 2012 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Alan, another point is that you should not dismiss France as a market. There are more than half a million English people living in France. Most of the Amazon users among them use Amazon.fr.

Somewhere in Steve Robinson's thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

he expresses amazement at how many books he is selling in France. I think it was Steve - if not it was one of "our" other authors.

Again, the price has to be right.

Alan, I wish you the best of success with your book.

message 19: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments That is very strange! I have just been to Amazon.com and the price is showing as 99c!?

I will reduce the price in those countries and see how it goes. It might even bring it down from $8 for you.

Thanks for the info,

Alan

message 20: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Hello Alan. My you rise as early as we do!

I have also just checked and it is $8.14. I am not bothered about the price for me - I just don't understand the inconsistency. Presumably this is the price Amazon.com is showing to New Zealand, which is really odd.

message 21: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Yes, that really is strange. It isn't NZ dollars, is it?

Up early today to get some overtime in (every little helps these days).

I really hope you enjoy the book after all this :-)

Alan

message 22: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Hello Alan

No, it isn't NZ dollars but in any case they aren't that much different than US dollars now. Bit of a gripe of mine - four years ago the exchange rate was 3.30 to the pound. Now it is 1.88. That alone doubles the cost of being here, even if costs hadn't gone up like everwhere else.

I have the book from Smashwords. Have a look at mine.

I used to work in computers. I was a regional manager with ICL, then I had my own recruitment agency.

message 23: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Vic wrote: "Hello Alan

No, it isn't NZ dollars but in any case they aren't that much different than US dollars now. Bit of a gripe of mine - four years ago the exchange rate was 3.30 to the pound. Now it is 1..."

That last bit may seem irrelevant, but I put it in after seeing your profile.

message 24: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Hi Vic,

sorry, I don't know how that relates to my profile. I must be missing something (or maybe it's the 3 celebratory beers after finishing the sequel to Gray Justice)

Alan

message 25: by Vic (last edited Feb 23, 2012 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Hello Alan. It's the bit about you being a software developer. Apart from building mainframe computers, that's what ICL did (it's now part of Fujitsu) and what most of the people who worked through my company did.

I am enjoying reading Gray Justice.

Regards

Vic

message 26: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Ah, I see. Sorry, the brain was more than a little foggy last night.

Glad you're enjoying the book :-)

All the best,

Alan

message 27: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Very impressed with you being up - and functioning - at what I estimate is 5 am in UK!

Been brainstorming today and have decided that not only will I publish "Vic's Big Walk" in paperback version in June, but will publish not one, but three further books in the next 12 months.

message 28: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments This is my 'Daddy time'. If I'm not up at 5AM I don't get on the laptop until 7PM, when the kids go to bed. I used to get up early to write but as I've just finished my second book I'm using this time to proof read it.

What are your other three books going to be about? Are they true life, like Vic's Big Walk?

message 29: by Vic (last edited Feb 23, 2012 10:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments One will be about life in Cyprus. Gay and I lived there from 1995 to 2003. I had forgotten that I wrote a book about that but was unable to find a publisher for it.

The second will be my life story, which I wrote for my kids when I was 60. I will take out the very personal stuff and bring it up to date. Somebody suggested that I call it "Big Walk's Vic" but I have another title in mind - "Swim The Atlantic?", which you will understand better if you look at this YouTube link, which is the BBC News coverage of the finish to my Big Walk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXEsga...

The third book will be a collection of short stories, including 5 which have been shortlisted in the "Writers News" monthly competitions - always the bridesmaid!

Alan, treasure that time with your kids - they will be grown before you know it.

message 30: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments That's a great acheivement. I watched the clip, and can't imagine being able to walk such a distance.

Best of luck with the other books :-)

Have to go to work now but will catch up with you later.

Alan

message 31: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 689 comments Alan, there must have been a problem on Amazon.com because I am now seeing $1.17.

I have finished reading Gray Justice and I think it is brilliant. Have reviewed it on Goodreads, Amazons .com and .co.uk.

Looking forward to the sequel.

The last two words in Gray Justice are the name of one of my daughters, who lives in Boston, Massachusetts.

message 32: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Hi Vic,

I'm so glad you liked Gray Justice, and thank you so much for the reviews :-)

That is quite a coincidence about your daughter's name. You'll be happy to know it appears throughout the sequel!

Thanks again for reading it,

Alan

message 33: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath | 1965 comments 37% in and I am absolutely loving your book. Excited to hear the word sequel mentioned :)
Sorry to be brief but am on my phone...

message 34: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments No problem kath, just thrilled that you're enjoying it! I'd love it if you could leave a review once you're finished :-)

message 35: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath | 1965 comments Of course I will. I know I am reading a good book when I start formulating my review after only 18% :)

message 36: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath | 1965 comments finished :) and all I will say now is that it is definitely one of the best books of its genre I have read... I'll bang out a review when I get home and can do it with a kbd... Very much looking forward to more. How's the next one coming?

message 37: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Hi kath,

so glad you enjoyed it!

The sequel is just awaiting a proof read and a cover image, so hope to publish it next week!

All the best,

Alan

message 38: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Sorry Kath, but what's a kbd?

message 39: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath | 1965 comments Keyboard... Lol i meant using my laptop rather than trying to type a review using this mobile phone touchscreen thing... :) i am at my mum's with no internet just now...

message 40: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Ah, I see.

That's fine, hopefully I'll see it when I wake up tomorrow. That would be the perfect start to a Sunday :-)

message 41: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath | 1965 comments Not unless U intend getting up after 2pm coz that'll be when I should get home, staying in pompey tonight, home tomorrow after pub lunch... :) but it will be 5 stars and all good so please don't fret none...

message 42: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments The thought of waking up at 2PM is like winning the lottery!

No rush when you get home, make sure you get in and relax first, the review can wait until you're settled.

Once again, thanks again for buying Gray Justice, your support is really appreciated.

All the best,

Alan

message 43: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath | 1965 comments Lol. No worries. Thank you for writing a cracking book...! And you can notch up a sale for the sequel coz that's a certainty.

message 44: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments So glad to hear it! I'll keep the price nice and low for the first few days, just for you :-)

message 45: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath | 1965 comments You so don't have to do that. I'll happily pay for quality reading material... Within reason of course lol... :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished Gray Justice really enjoyed it Alan, i have left a review, glad the next one is out soon, i would have hated to wait ages for it.

message 47: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Thank you so much for the 5 stars Lynne, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

I saw your review on Amazon UK: did you leave it on Amazon.com too? You can easily do it using your Amazon UK login.

The sequel should be out by the end of the week :-)

All the best,

Alan

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2012 03:59AM) (new)

Oh end of week, great! i will watch out for it.

Have never left a review on Amazon.com, will wait till my daughter comes later, in case i muck it up!!

Ive done it, didn't wait for her so hope i have done it right.Hopeless on a computer, me.

message 49: by Alan (new)

Alan McDermott (jambalian) | 115 comments Hi Lynne,

I have just been to Amazon.com and it is already there :-)

Thanks again,

Alan

message 50: by Kath (last edited Feb 26, 2012 06:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath | 1965 comments review posted here, amazon.co.uk & .com and over at KUForum :)

it wouldnt let me review at smashwords cos i didnt buy it there - booo :(

hope it's ok :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6