Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > Need help breaking into a new genre *nervous*

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments So, up until now, I've been all about PNR, Historical Romance and Highlander Romance. I love authors who have a great sense of humor and that write HONEST characters.

Well...I'm thinking about breaking into the whole "wild wild west" theme lol I don't know what it's called but I'm headed in the Old West or Cowboy kind of direction. Any advice for an easy transition??

Thanks everyone!

message 2: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
Maggie Osborne has a few that I love - Silver Lining and The Promise of Jenny Jones are 2 of my faves.

Catherine Anderson is good. More emotional, though and Not too many laughs.
Jodi Thomas is good too. Not quite as emotional as Catherine Anderson and I think she has a bit of humor at times.
Johanna Lindsey has written a couple I like.
Julie Garwood's For the Roses is a fave of mine.

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ aka Barbara (tirla) Rough Rider series by Lorelei James...romantic/erotica with a cowboy theme...loved them:)

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Mikalis (joannamikalis) | 13 comments Have you read Angel by Joanna Lindsay?

message 5: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 151 comments When I FINALLY took that step (for me it wasn't just the old west, it was historicals in general) I chose one from my favorit author Because I knew I already liked her writing style. I picked A Lady of the West (Western Ladies, #1) by Linda Howard

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (sadstrumpetjenny) I just finished The Promise of Jenny Jones and it was cute. I am not a huge fan of the genre, but that was a fun read. Barbara Samuel has a few too, if you like her.

message 7: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
Jodi Thomas for sure! She's one of my favorites, and The Texan's Wager has probably the best beta hero of all time.

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments Are any of these a part of a series? I'm more a fan of series than stand alones.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I second Megan. Jodi Thomas is my go-to author for Western romance. I also enjoyed the Wild trilogy by Stacey Kayne:

Mustang Wild (Wild, #1) by Stacey Kayne Maverick Wild (Wild, #2) by Stacey Kayne Mountain Wild (Wild, #3) by Stacey Kayne

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 27 comments I like Stacey Kayne very much!
I loved many of Lorelei James' books, but I don't like menage, so that rules out quite a few of her books...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I have read Logan's Outlaw by Elaine Levine by Elaine Levine, and she's on my list now for western romance. Logan's Outlaw is part of a series, but it's the first one I read, and I was okay.

message 12: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole | 154 comments Are you talking contemporary westerns or historical westerns, or both? I just bought and devoured these two books on a rec from a fellow GR friend Dancing on Coals by Ellen O'Connell Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell They aren't from a series, but both (especially Dancing on Coals) are now on my all time faves shelf.

Also, Pamela Clare's series McKinnon's Rangers, is about some Scottish Brothers who live in colonial USA and run with Indians and armies. Not traditional cowboy, but Pamela Clare is amazing, and you get the Scottish burr as a bonus! Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers, #1) by Pamela Clare Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2) by Pamela Clare Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3) by Pamela Clare

message 13: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole | 154 comments Oh, and Julie Garwood's Rose series:
One Pink Rose (Rose, #2) by Julie Garwood One White Rose (Rose #3) by Julie Garwood One Red Rose (Rose, #4) by Julie Garwood Come the Spring (Rose #5) by Julie Garwood Great western romance, though I have yet to read the last one.

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments Checking out Mustang Wild tonight and the others over the next few days! Thanks guys!!!!! :D

message 15: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4119 comments Mod
Duchess Nicole wrote: "Oh, and Julie Garwood's Rose series:
One Pink Rose (Rose, #2) by Julie GarwoodOne White Rose (Rose #3) by Julie GarwoodOne Red Rose (Rose, #4) by Julie GarwoodCome the Spring (Rose #5) by Julie Garwood Great western romance, thoug..."

Cole is my baby.

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments Joanna wrote: "Have you read Angel by Joanna Lindsay?"

Johanna Lindsey is awesome, I started reading her books when i as fifteen( sneaking my mums books) now I own all her books myself. She is my comfort read. Angel was really good along withe savage thunder. But of course the malorys will always have a special place in my heart.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 26 comments Joanna wrote: "Have you read Angel by Joanna Lindsay?"

Yes it is great book

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather | 26 comments Duchess Nicole wrote: "Oh, and Julie Garwood's Rose series:
One Pink Rose (Rose, #2) by Julie GarwoodOne White Rose (Rose #3) by Julie GarwoodOne Red Rose (Rose, #4) by Julie GarwoodCome the Spring (Rose #5) by Julie Garwood Great western romance, thoug..."

Love these books

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nelson (jessicanelson) | 9 comments I used to love Julie Garwood! Also, have heard good things about Jodi Thomas.