Start by marking “One Red Rose (Rose, #4)” as Want to Read:
One Red Rose (Rose, #4)

One Red Rose

(Claybornes' Brides (Rose Hill) #4)

Escaped slave and confirmed bachelor Adam Clayborne finds his convictions faltering when Mam Rose summons irresistible former slave Genevieve Delacrois to Montana, where the beautiful young woman teaches Adam the meaning of true freedom.
Mass Market Paperback, 152 pages
Published August 1st 1997 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about One Red Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Red Rose

Start your review of One Red Rose (Rose, #4)
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Oh Adam ..so wonderful. Julie just knows how to write a hero but really her heroines just shine with strength and sass.
♥Sharon♥
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it

This one was nice enough. It just isn't my favorite. I was expecting a little more seeing it was Adam's story.

JG did reveal a tidbit about what we will get in Cole's story. I'm intrigued and look forward to reading it.
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
From The Cover:

The Claybornes are back -- and love is in bloom! First introduced in Julie Garwood's magnificent New York Times bestseller For the Roses, which inspired the Hallmark Hall of Fame television film Rose Hill, the Clayborne brothers of Blue Belle, Montana, have been embraced by millions worldwide. Now Julie Garwood spins the individual stories of these three spirited brothers -- once a mismatched gang of street urchins -- in a trio of special novels that continues with One Red Rose.

A
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading.

Another terrific addition to the series.
Petra
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own, romance
This book was so mediocre I can't even think of what to say. I disliked both main characters, heroine was just plain stupid at times and it overplayed damsel in distress. Whole book is filled with tropes and there isn't enough characterisation to make characters likeable or even believeable. Maybe if it had 100 pages more and if it focused more on their personalities this could've been a better book. The best thing I can say about it is that it's a very short and quick read
Lai Valenzuela
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Synopsis : Adam Clayborne has always put great stock in the power of books. As an escaped slave -- and a wanted man -- reading has been his only ticket to the wonders of distant lands. Adam is content with his life as a confirmed bachelor, which is why Mama Rose has summoned the irresistible Genevieve Delacroix to Montana. Also a former slave, Genevieve shares his dream of seeing the world, but she arrives to find Adam unfailingly polite...and just as distant. Undaunted, Genevieve determines to ...more
Michelle K
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, 2012-read
Not such a fan of this particular series.

I have to admit, I was disappointed in Adam's story. Maybe disappointed is to strong of a word. Genevieve drove me nuts and I really couldn't stand her and her nonsense. She seemed very smart and brave one moment and then just plain stupid the next. There is nothing I hate more than a stupid heroine who makes stupid decisions.

The storyline in One Red Rose didn't draw me in at all and in fact, I've made the decisio
Rainelle
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good little book to read.
Gillian Murrell
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really struggled to get into this book out of books 2, 3 and 4, this one needed to have had the 1st book read the most to fill in some background on Adam Claiborne. In this book as in the previous two books Mama Rose is pretty much a no show which I found other odd as she is the one who set up Genevieve as Adam's future bride. Genevieve is hiding the reason she no longer wishes to marry Adam and Adam never had any intention of getting married in the first place. So it came as quite a shock for ...more
Amelia
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Clayborne brothers are all honest men who stand up for justice plus always listen to the person known as their mother, and Adam is the sibling who encouraged these traits in them. His beloved Mama Rose is the one who taught him many wonderful characteristics, and now she wants him to share his life with a particular woman of her choosing. Though he has never met Genevieve before, this is going to be a rare time where he disobeys an order. Julie Garwood has created a short, sweet novella for ...more
Chitra *CJ*
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: v-card, safety-first
Adam never had a chance!
Another super sweet book in this series. Adam, the book adventurer- meets Genevieve, his to be bride/singer extraordinaire/ runaway from trouble woman, and despite both of them trying not to fall for each other- they do and its wonderful. I absolutely loved how Gen made Adam break his shell and experience life!
Super safe read
4/5
Sue
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read originally in 2012, just revisiting one of my favorite series in audio. I recommend the series, it's a pure pleasure
C.
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Not as good as the first two novelettes. I couldn't believe that Adam would fall for this girl. However it seemed like Adam's character was also very different in this book than in the others.
Tiina
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. 2,5 rounded up to 3 for now. I do like the family.
Also, I finished typing up this whole review and then realised I read them in Estonian. Oops. I won't rewrite it. Here's just a quick note on the Estonian translation:
//Võin vaid öelda, et selle osa tõlge oli tunduvalt kohmakam, sisse jäeti väga kummalisi sõnu: showgirl tõlgiti šõugörliks, nt. Lisaks oli keelekasutus armustseenis äärmiselt võõrastav. Sama tõlkija, aga veidi kehvem tõlge kui eelmised. //

I think I've grown tired of these. This
Amanda
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I prefer Julie Garwood's modern romances to her historical ones but I do like the Old West setting in this book.

This was another light, quick read. There wasn't too much to it but since it went so fast, that didn't matter. I'm much more interested in the US Marshall's story that she keeps alluding to, which I believe comes next in the series. So, I'll probably go ahead and continue with that one.
Jocqueline Martin
May 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Needs more substance

I felt like this was done in hurry to meet a deadline for the publishing company. The story lacked more elements of character building. Genevieve seems like a likable person but the story lacked more her history so that the reader would be inclined to root for her. I was expecting to read Genevieve and Adam's story. What I received was Adam's story of how he settled down.
Denise Kettering
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book is an enjoyable beach read nd goes very quickly. The story is not terribly original and significantly downplays the issue of race which makes it fairly unbelievable, but if you can suspend those concerns, the plot is entertaining enough and the characters interesting enough to sustain the story as it is a short book.
Nina
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was quite alright. The first two stories were better. I liked Adam and Genevieve was a kind soul that had her fair share of stupidity and recklessness. I think maybe some other circumstances or events would suit them better. Again the last part was the best. When they have a shot down and Adam fights with the sheriff. It is just sweet and funny.
tom McDermitt
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the stories Julia writes, you feel like you can see it happening. Love her books amazing storytelling.

I've the stories Julia writes, you like you can see it happening. Love her books, amazing storytelling.
My favorite books are series.
Ann
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what you would expect

Novellas are problems because they are short. Thus things have to move along rather quickly. No time to develop characters or relationship. So: good guy, good woman, bad guy, stupid decisions, brave hero, wedding, wedding night.
Debbi
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Adam Clayborne is a confirmed bachelor. But that was before he met and spent time with Genevieve. The third brother falls in love. One to go!
Elizabeth
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book.
Sarah Elizabeth
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was most looking forward to Adam's story, and this was the biggest disappointment. Based on his characterization in previous books, this story and romance isn't believable at all.
Lucija Novak-Perjanec
The Claybornes series is super sweet although too short. I really loved reading this one and I highly recommed it!
Sherrill
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
So much for women's lib and fending for yourself. This was the classic tale of the man making like a he man and saving the girl from everything that would offend of scare her. It was a little predictable and boring. She was the classic damsel in distress and it was not the greatest novel ever written.
Jerry Jares
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this novella, the oldest son, Adam, reluctantly finds a bride. Mama Rose proves that she knows best when she summons Genevieve Delacroix to be Adam's bride. However, Adam is having none of it because he is satisfied with his life as it is. He has his books, through which he imagines adventures.

Genevive is a more adventuresome soul and she shows Adam that life is an adventure. Because of the problems she is dealing with, she cannot dream about a solution, she must create a solution. Genevive
Barb Lie
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
One Red Rose by Julie Garwood is the 4th book in her Clayborne Brides series, which includes a three book novella. In One Red Rose, Adam Clayborne returns home late at night for a family party, and finds a woman in his bed. After the initial shock, Adam recognizes Genevieve as the woman who Mama Rose invited to become Adam’s wife; but that was almost a year has passed. Why did Genevieve decide to come now? Adam makes no bones that he is not interested in getting married …..ever.

We learn that Ge
Natalie
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As I did with my reviews for One Pink Rose and One White Rose, I'm going to keep this review short and sweet.

Like with the previous two stories, this novel follows the same quick pace and is an action-adventure kind of story as well as being a romance.

The hero comes back home after being away to find that the heroine, whom his mother has been corresponding with, has arrived. She tells him she is his bride.

As mentioned, the story is quick-paced. Before the hero has time to dwell grumpily about wh
Deanna Rodriguez
Great series!!!!!

I loved this series! I am disappointed that Cole didn't wed and we never saw Ryan return the compass or convince Cole to becomes Marshall. Write another one Julie!!!!
Jessi
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This is Adam's book. He comes home to find a woman in his bed, Genevieve Delacroix. She's the woman that Mama Rose has picked out for him to marry. But neither Genevieve nor Adam wants that. She's just in Montana for his mama's birthday celebration and then she's hitting the road for Paris. At least that's what she tells Adam. But when she disappears precipitously from the birthday celebration, he gets suspicious. Then when he finds a warning telegram he knows there's something she's been hiding ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Present (Malory-Anderson Family, #6)
  • Velvet Song (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy  #3)
  • Velvet Angel (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy #4)
  • Sweet Nothings (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #3)
  • A Loving Scoundrel (Malory-Anderson Family, #7)
  • Christmas Belle (Frazer, #2)
  • A Heart so Wild (Straton Family #1)
  • Morning Glory
  • A Lady of the West (Western Ladies, #1)
  • The Heir (Reid Family, #1)
  • Tender Triumph
  • Wyoming Bold (Wyoming Men, #3)
  • Eternity (Montgomery/Taggert, #17)
  • The Ungrateful Governess
  • Wyoming Fierce (Wyoming Men, #2)
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
  • All I Need Is You (Straton Family, #2)
  • Multimillonario & Libre
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa

Claybornes' Brides (Rose Hill) (5 books)
  • For the Roses (Rose, #1)
  • One Pink Rose (Rose, #2)
  • One White Rose (Rose #3)
  • Come the Spring (Rose, #5)