Start by marking “One Red Rose (Rose, #4)” as Want to Read:
One Red Rose (Rose, #4)

One Red Rose

(Claybornes' Brides (Rose Hill) #4)

Escaped slave and confirmed bachelor Adam Clayborne finds his convictions faltering when Mam Rose summons irresistible former slave Genevieve Delacrois to Montana, where the beautiful young woman teaches Adam the meaning of true freedom.
Mass Market Paperback, 152 pages
Published August 1st 1997 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about One Red Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Red Rose

Start your review of One Red Rose (Rose, #4)
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Oh Adam ..so wonderful. Julie just knows how to write a hero but really her heroines just shine with strength and sass.
☘ Lily ☘
Yeeeeetttt.... It was another okay book and here I thought Adam's story gonna win me over. ...more
♥Sharon♥
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it

This one was nice enough. It just isn't my favorite. I was expecting a little more seeing it was Adam's story.

JG did reveal a tidbit about what we will get in Cole's story. I'm intrigued and look forward to reading it.
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
From The Cover:

The Claybornes are back -- and love is in bloom! First introduced in Julie Garwood's magnificent New York Times bestseller For the Roses, which inspired the Hallmark Hall of Fame television film Rose Hill, the Clayborne brothers of Blue Belle, Montana, have been embraced by millions worldwide. Now Julie Garwood spins the individual stories of these three spirited brothers -- once a mismatched gang of street urchins -- in a trio of special novels that continues with One Red Rose.

A
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading.

Another terrific addition to the series.
Petra
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, i-own
This book was so mediocre I can't even think of what to say. I disliked both main characters, heroine was just plain stupid at times and it overplayed damsel in distress. Whole book is filled with tropes and there isn't enough characterisation to make characters likeable or even believeable. Maybe if it had 100 pages more and if it focused more on their personalities this could've been a better book. The best thing I can say about it is that it's a very short and quick read ...more
Lai Valenzuela
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Synopsis : Adam Clayborne has always put great stock in the power of books. As an escaped slave -- and a wanted man -- reading has been his only ticket to the wonders of distant lands. Adam is content with his life as a confirmed bachelor, which is why Mama Rose has summoned the irresistible Genevieve Delacroix to Montana. Also a former slave, Genevieve shares his dream of seeing the world, but she arrives to find Adam unfailingly polite...and just as distant. Undaunted, Genevieve determines to ...more
Michelle K
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-read, historical
Not such a fan of this particular series.

I have to admit, I was disappointed in Adam's story. Maybe disappointed is to strong of a word. Genevieve drove me nuts and I really couldn't stand her and her nonsense. She seemed very smart and brave one moment and then just plain stupid the next. There is nothing I hate more than a stupid heroine who makes stupid decisions.

The storyline in One Red Rose didn't draw me in at all and in fact, I've made the decisio
Sue
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read originally in 2012, just revisiting one of my favorite series in audio. I recommend the series, it's a pure pleasure ...more
Rainelle
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good little book to read.
Sana Zameer
I'm disappointed in Adam's book. He has been such a powerful presence, a binding force in this family of mismatched orphans. He deserved much better than the annoying Genevieve and a rushed plot. ...more
Gillian Murrell
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really struggled to get into this book out of books 2, 3 and 4, this one needed to have had the 1st book read the most to fill in some background on Adam Claiborne. In this book as in the previous two books Mama Rose is pretty much a no show which I found other odd as she is the one who set up Genevieve as Adam's future bride. Genevieve is hiding the reason she no longer wishes to marry Adam and Adam never had any intention of getting married in the first place. So it came as quite a shock for ...more
Amelia
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Clayborne brothers are all honest men who stand up for justice plus always listen to the person known as their mother, and Adam is the sibling who encouraged these traits in them. His beloved Mama Rose is the one who taught him many wonderful characteristics, and now she wants him to share his life with a particular woman of her choosing. Though he has never met Genevieve before, this is going to be a rare time where he disobeys an order. Julie Garwood has created a short, sweet novella for ...more
Chitra *CJ*
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: v-card, safety-first
Adam never had a chance!
Another super sweet book in this series. Adam, the book adventurer- meets Genevieve, his to be bride/singer extraordinaire/ runaway from trouble woman, and despite both of them trying not to fall for each other- they do and its wonderful. I absolutely loved how Gen made Adam break his shell and experience life!
Super safe read
4/5
C.
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Not as good as the first two novelettes. I couldn't believe that Adam would fall for this girl. However it seemed like Adam's character was also very different in this book than in the others. ...more
Tiina
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. 2,5 rounded up to 3 for now. I do like the family.
Also, I finished typing up this whole review and then realised I read them in Estonian. Oops. I won't rewrite it. Here's just a quick note on the Estonian translation:
//Võin vaid öelda, et selle osa tõlge oli tunduvalt kohmakam, sisse jäeti väga kummalisi sõnu: showgirl tõlgiti šõugörliks, nt. Lisaks oli keelekasutus armustseenis äärmiselt võõrastav. Sama tõlkija, aga veidi kehvem tõlge kui eelmised. //

I think I've grown tired of these. This
 ♥ Mrs. Ell ♥
Ah….*sigh*
So, I picked up this little gem at Half Priced Books yesterday, and I’m glad I did. I’ve never read anything from Julie Garwood before, and since it was a novella, I decided to try it. There’s a fine an author must walk when concocting the perfect hero, and in this novella from Julie Garwood, Adam is a shining example of the type of hero I adore in a romance. He knows when to step in, but knows exactly when to let Genevieve take the reins; even if her actions do land them in hot water
Amanda
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I prefer Julie Garwood's modern romances to her historical ones but I do like the Old West setting in this book.

This was another light, quick read. There wasn't too much to it but since it went so fast, that didn't matter. I'm much more interested in the US Marshall's story that she keeps alluding to, which I believe comes next in the series. So, I'll probably go ahead and continue with that one.
Jocqueline Martin
May 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Needs more substance

I felt like this was done in hurry to meet a deadline for the publishing company. The story lacked more elements of character building. Genevieve seems like a likable person but the story lacked more her history so that the reader would be inclined to root for her. I was expecting to read Genevieve and Adam's story. What I received was Adam's story of how he settled down.
Denise Kettering
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book is an enjoyable beach read nd goes very quickly. The story is not terribly original and significantly downplays the issue of race which makes it fairly unbelievable, but if you can suspend those concerns, the plot is entertaining enough and the characters interesting enough to sustain the story as it is a short book.
Nina
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was quite alright. The first two stories were better. I liked Adam and Genevieve was a kind soul that had her fair share of stupidity and recklessness. I think maybe some other circumstances or events would suit them better. Again the last part was the best. When they have a shot down and Adam fights with the sheriff. It is just sweet and funny.
Jennifer Lara
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The final Clayborne brides novella and it is the thoughtful loner Adam. As a former slave, he only trusts a few people and rarely opens up to strangers. Can Genevieve Delacroix show him that true freedom comes when you trust your heart. While not my favorite of the novellas but it is a nice finale. Highly recommended.
tom McDermitt
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the stories Julia writes, you feel like you can see it happening. Love her books amazing storytelling.

I've the stories Julia writes, you like you can see it happening. Love her books, amazing storytelling.
My favorite books are series.
Ann
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what you would expect

Novellas are problems because they are short. Thus things have to move along rather quickly. No time to develop characters or relationship. So: good guy, good woman, bad guy, stupid decisions, brave hero, wedding, wedding night.
S D W
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The heroine makes this a 3 star

I like this short story up until the end. It's the heroine. She's acts dumbly, then keeps verbally repeating it's her fault, but not about the dumb action. It's annoying. Plus, I don't feel like I got to know Adam as well.
Debbi
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Adam Clayborne is a confirmed bachelor. But that was before he met and spent time with Genevieve. The third brother falls in love. One to go!
Elizabeth
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book.
Sarah Elizabeth
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was most looking forward to Adam's story, and this was the biggest disappointment. Based on his characterization in previous books, this story and romance isn't believable at all. ...more
Lucija Novak-Perjanec
The Claybornes series is super sweet although too short. I really loved reading this one and I highly recommed it!
Sara
Sep 30, 2020 added it
i love adam character.but still i wish another way and more complicated than that.anyway maybe that l love julia and love the brothers i can mange that simpie novel.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Velvet Song (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy  #3)
  • No Choice But Seduction (Malory-Anderson Family, #9)
  • Miracles (Westmoreland Saga #3.5)
  • Velvet Angel (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy #4)
  • The Pursuit (Sherring Cross, #3)
  • Captive of My Desires (Malory-Anderson Family, #8)
  • The Stolen Mackenzie Bride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8)
  • The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)
  • The Present (Malory-Anderson Family, #6)
  • A Heart so Wild (Straton Family #1)
  • All I Need Is You (Straton Family, #2)
  • Highland Velvet (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy #2)
  • Say You Love Me (Malory Family, #5)
  • A Loving Scoundrel (Malory-Anderson Family, #7)
  • The Temptress (Montgomery/Taggert, #8)
  • Eternity (Montgomery/Taggert, #17)
  • Angel (Wyoming, #3)
  • Prisoner of My Desire
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa

Claybornes' Brides (Rose Hill) (5 books)
  • For the Roses (Rose, #1)
  • One Pink Rose (Rose, #2)
  • One White Rose (Rose #3)
  • Come the Spring (Rose, #5)