Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > Do You Have Any Hobbies Other Than Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 150 (150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I know we are all readers on here. Is there anything else you like to do in your non-reading/non-working/non-essential task time?

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I love Arts/Crafts. Mainly drawing/paper-craft related media. I can't sew to save my life, and I'm not good at knitting/crocheting. I don't draw as much as I used to, but I still love it. I don't paint much at all, but I use crayons/colored pencils and pen and ink. I got into making Christmas cards a few years ago, and it really gets my creative juices flowing. I buy the cardstock in various colors at the craft store, and I use glitter glue and markers to do different Christmas-themed designs.

I also like to work out (great stress-reliever). I either go to the gym and do the elliptical trainer and weights or do Wii Fit. At one point, I started archery classes, but my schedule got so erratic, I had to drop them. I would love to go back at some point, and also learn fencing.

I am learning Russian (don't know if that counts).

I like to keep my mind and fingers busy, so I will find different hobbies to get involved with.

And I really enjoy baking. Cooking to a lesser extent. I prefer to cook when I'm in the mood, honestly.

message 3: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments I like to draw. When I was younger I was in to watercolor and oil painting. I also like to do counted cross stitch.

Thanks asking,

A.M.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

My friend taught me cross-stitching. I think I would be better at it if I had more patience.

I haven't done any oil painting. Maybe that will be one of my New Year's Resolutions.

message 5: by Lisa Kay (last edited Nov 16, 2011 09:36AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 40 comments I used to paint, but I haven't in a while. My BFFL (best friend for life) takes me to a card making class every now and then (when she deems it time for me to get out of the house) and I really enjoy them.

message 6: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Awhile back I bought some canvas and acrylic paints and new brushes. My intent was paint a still life for my dining room wall.

A.M.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

You should work on it, AM.

I would like to do some acrylic painting too. You both have inspired me!

message 8: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Go for it, Danielle.

A also played around with creating art using photoshop at one time. I can find I'll post.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That would be great. I like to make collages, and I do sometimes use printed images.

message 10: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Nov 16, 2011 01:57PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Sadly, no. Unless you consider journaling a hobby. Someone I met today talked about having a gratitude journal, and every night, before going to bed, she writes down 5 things that she's grateful for so she goes to sleep feeling positive. My journaling has been everything from complaints to worries, and I'm going to change that to something more positive. Other than that, I've taken self defenses classes in the past, and would like to get back into something like that soon, but that can be expensive.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

My sister is an avid journaler. I blog, but it's mainly about books.

message 12: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia DeWinters (dahliadewinters) | 56 comments I love to knit and crochet - I've crocheted afghans and scarves for friends and family. It helps me think while I plot in my head or gives me something to do as I listen to a book on tape.

I also enjoy scrapbooking too, but don't do as much as I used to.

D

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That's really cool, Dahlia. I am impressed with knitters. I worked with a lady, and I would spend a lot of time watching her knit.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1383 comments I'm a gadget collecter, if that can be considered a hobby. I love tech stuff, naturally. But I am also a hopeless kitchen gadget person. Oh, man, I am putty in Williams/Sonoma's hands. And then I need to try to cook using the stuff I collect. Pizelle maker? got one. Panini Press? My kids ate Paninis for weeks, with all type of exotic breads. I have three mortar & Pestle sets -- two marble and one stainless steel. Sushi rolling mat & rice cookers? california rolls for everyone! I have a meatball shaper from Crate & Barrel. Who has that? Sad, really.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

My mom is a gadget collector too. I can see the appeal. They make cooking easier and fun. She has gotten some pretty nifty tools. What I really, really want is a French Fry maker (cuts the potato into just the right size for fries)!

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6570 comments Mod
I like to write and exercise.

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I didn't count writing! I enjoy it, but it's also painful for me. :)

message 18: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "That would be great. I like to make collages, and I do sometimes use printed images."

Danielle, checkout link below.

http://brendaw.myweb.uga.edu/Artwork.htm

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Those are lovely, AM. You have some real talent!

message 20: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia DeWinters (dahliadewinters) | 56 comments (raises hand)

I have a panini maker at the top of my pantry. Also, I am a "as seen on tv person" (blushes). I've got quite a few gadgets that are advertised on the television. They work well too!!

D

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

My mom is big on the 'as seen on tv' gadgets!

message 22: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Those are lovely, AM. You have some real talent!"

Thanks Danielle

message 23: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments I like to make lotions and body butters. I have a little side business, but I'm very easy-going about it. I'm always experimenting with perfume blends and making different recipes and ingredients. I've also been taking sewing class and making my own costumes.

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That sounds fun, Chaeya. How do you get inspiration for the different scents/blends? Wehre do you buy your supplies?

I love being creative. It reenergizes me. I think when I don't explore that side of me, it leads to me feeling stagnated/trapped, and kind of depressed.

message 25: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments I collect scents, right now if you count all the essential oils and synthetic scents I have over 120 different scents, so you can have a good time in my room. Many people come to my booth and blend their own scents using my samples. My husband likes to blend and I just go in there and start playing around. At one faire, I blended a scent called "Dirt & Leather" for the men. I have a scent like Potting Soil and blended some other scents with it. I wound up selling out because everyone thought the name was funny. I've even done talks on using essential oils both medicinally and for fun, which I'm preparing a workshop for next year. I've been doing this since 1996 and belong to several online groups for natural perfumery and for aromatherapy.

If you want essential oils, I strong suggest Appalachian Valley Products. They GC test their oils for purity and I've been using them exclusively for about 7 years now.

http://av-at.com/

You can get synthetic scents from, which offers skin safe perfume scents:

http://www.wellingtonfragrance.com/

The rest are my trade secrets. ;o) If you have any questions, you can always e-mail me. I've had people who have wanted to get into making their own products, but I have to warn them that this is a very expensive venture. I've moved away from selling essential oils because they're very expensive and most of my customers prefer the more synthetic scents. I do keep a store of different Lavenders, Eucalyptus and Patchouli (which I sell a lot of at the faires).

I agree, I'm always taking classes of some kind. Of course, with my job and all, it takes me longer to finish things, but when I do, they are awesome.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That sounds really rewarding, Chaeya. I like that your husband has fun with it too. I have noticed that hobbies and crafts can get quite expensive.

I usually spend about $40 just getting my card-making supplies together (not real bad, but I was kind of shocked when I got my total at the check out). The paper can be quite pricy. I imagine scrapbooking is moreso. I can usually get by for a year on that, although if I start making cards for other occasions, maybe not.

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I forgot that I love gardening. I didn't get to do much this year because it was so darn hot. I am going to get an early start next year, on the first warm day of March.

message 28: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments Danielle, you might want to get on Joann's mailing list so you can get coupons. They also have a lot of 40% and 50% sale on their scrapbooking supplies. I get 12x12 books with the cool paper because I do my information and prices on those. Also, Michael's frequently blows them out as well.

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Cool! Thanks, Chaeya.

message 30: by Theodora (new)

Theodora Taylor (theodorat) Would attending dinner parties be counted as a hobby? Because I really enjoy doing that! I think because I'm a mom, I feel like I only have time for one hobby these days and that's reading all the way.

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Definitely, Theodora. I think that counts under entertaining. I am not much good at the whole party-throwing thing. I'm too shy and I worry too much. I need to challenge myself next year and throw more parties.

message 32: by Mel (last edited Sep 29, 2012 05:16PM) (new)

Mel (got2luvmel) | 65 comments I write, do graphics and printmaking (which I actually majored in but now is just something I do for fun), create mvids of my fave ships/shows, and frequently volunteer. I like obsessively volunteer with non-profit organizations; I'm an advocate for social work, human rights, and education. I'm a team member of a breast cancer Dragon Boat Racing team-no, I've never had cancer. I did Passion Parties for like six months and will likely do it again later in life. And I recently bought Rosetta Stone so my newly added hobby is learning different languages.

This probably doesn't count, but I also go to the gym too much and try out crazy workouts whenever they're created. Just got the 'Insanity Workout' and I'm starting it Monday lol

message 33: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I know I've probably mentioned it in other threads, because outside of work, it consumes my life, but right now I'm going back to school. I really enjoy it so I consider it a hobby- even if I am getting back into the swing of things.

message 34: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Mel wrote: "I write, do graphics and printmaking (which I actually majored in but now is just something I do for fun), create mvids of my fave ships/shows, and frequently volunteer. I like obsessively voluntee..."

Let me know how you enjoy the Insanity workout. I'm going to try the regular P90X (again) , but this time I have some friends cheering me on.

message 35: by Mel (new)

Mel (got2luvmel) | 65 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "..."

Yay, for going back to school!

I surely will let ya know. I've never done the P90X but I have Turbo Jam Deluxe and Turbo Fire, which I really love. Is P90X hard; how do you like it?

DeeTimes' Reading Nook (cricket011) | 3226 comments I am a calligrapher and it is so relaxing no matter what font or size. Oh and exercise is a close second!

message 37: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 166 comments I don't know if this is considered a hobby, but I'm an avid cyclist. I don't race or do touring, strictly recreational. I ride my bike on the nature trail 3 to 4 times a week averaging 20 miles each ride. I really enjoy it and it relaxes me.

message 38: by Chandaria (new)

Chandaria Ward (channiepeace) | 9 comments Hey guys Im new to the group..
I love to write chidlren books/poetry when i get in the writing mode.
But im a big cooker love to try new recipes and create new dishes on my own!!!!

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I love how diverse everyone's interests are.

Welcome, Chandaria. It takes some skill to write for kids. Good for you!

message 40: by Chandaria (new)

Chandaria Ward (channiepeace) | 9 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I love how diverse everyone's interests are.

Welcome, Chandaria. It takes some skill to write for kids. Good for you!"

Thank you its been about a year since i realize i like too write!!!!

message 41: by Chandaria (new)

Chandaria Ward (channiepeace) | 9 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I know I've probably mentioned it in other threads, because outside of work, it consumes my life, but right now I'm going back to school. I really enjoy it so I consider it a hobby- even if I am g..."

Good for you!!! I just went back to school also!!!

message 42: by Chandaria (new)

Chandaria Ward (channiepeace) | 9 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I forgot that I love gardening. I didn't get to do much this year because it was so darn hot. I am going to get an early start next year, on the first warm day of March."

I have always wanted to garden!!! But i keep Procrastinating!11 But i think i could have the GREEN THUMB for it. Any tips for a beginner!!!

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Chandaria, this will sound weird, but mainly I just started experimenting. I love growing and living things, so it was fun for me. I found I like trying to grow things. You might want to start hanging out at the plant nursery and see what plants you like. Read the growing instructions, and go for something that is easy to care for.

Where do you live? That is a huge factor on what can grow well and easily.

message 44: by Chandaria (new)

Chandaria Ward (channiepeace) | 9 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Chandaria, this will sound weird, but mainly I just started experimenting. I love growing and living things, so it was fun for me. I found I like trying to grow things. You might want to start ha..."

I have a plant nusery near me... I live in Maryland!

message 45: by Chandaria (new)

Chandaria Ward (channiepeace) | 9 comments Chandaria wrote: "Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Chandaria, this will sound weird, but mainly I just started experimenting. I love growing and living things, so it was fun for me. I found I like trying..."

Procrastinating getting the best of me my granny love plants and can keep them alive forever!!! My favorite FlowerS is SUNFLOWERS!!!!

message 46: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Pay attention to the growing zones for Maryland. The plants will usually have a description for growing zones.

I found this website that might be helpful:

http://www.plantguideonline.com/fact_...

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Sunflowers grow like weeds here where I live!

message 48: by Chandaria (new)

Chandaria Ward (channiepeace) | 9 comments Thank you for the information!!!!!!!!!!

message 49: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

You're welcome. I hope you get bit by the gardening bug.

message 50: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Mel wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "..."

Yay, for going back to school!

I surely will let ya know. I've never done the P90X but I have Turbo Jam Deluxe and Turbo Fire, which I really love. Is P90X hard; how do yo..."

Thanks Mel! I can't even get the warm-up yet, LOL!

« previous 1 3