The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Best of the Fall 2011 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17841 comments Mod
What were your favorite books of the Fall 2011 Challenge?

message 2: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments My favorites turned out to be mostly YA this Fall for some reason-

YA- Into the Wild Nerd Yonder by Julie Halpern , Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta , The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson , Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols not YA- Making Waves by Tawna Fenske , Rainwater by Sandra Brown , Seven Exes Are Eight Too Many by Heather Wardell

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

My favorites
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Blood Ties (Julie Collins Series #1) by Lori G. Armstrong I fit in the whole series #1-4

message 4: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Dlmrose,
I'm on the waiting list for the ebook from my library for Language of Flowers and I have Ready Player One on audiobook waiting for me. Glad to see you loved them both :)

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7686 comments my only 5 star read of the season was Bridge of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris which was an ARC I reviewed for the author

4-star reads were:
The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley A Place of Execution by Val McDermid How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

very different books
If you get the 80's references, Ready Player One was fun- I spent WAY too much time on video games

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7686 comments dlmrose - how were the lori armstrong books? I love her erotic romances written under her other name

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Favorite books...

5 stars- Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent Cindy Ella by Robin Palmer
(I thought Cindy Ella and Lola and the Boy Next Door were very cutesy books...which are always some of my favorites. Ship Breaker completely caught me by surprise with how well it was written. Rogue was very action packed and had me listening to the audiobook any second that I could.)

message 9: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 15, 2011 03:33PM) (new)

Dee wrote:dlmrose - how were the lori armstrong books?

I really liked the character. I liked No Mercy during the summer challenge and both characters are similar- tough, no apologies, but wounded. 1 & 2 were quite chaste, then in #3 she must have remembered that she wrote erotica and threw in some sex. I liked the South Dakota setting and the Native American lore too.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16168 comments Mod
Fran wrote: "Dlmrose,
I'm on the waiting list for the ebook from my library for Language of Flowers and I have Ready Player One on audiobook waiting for me. Glad to see you loved them both :)"

I loved Ready Player One, too - and my husband wound up picking it up and liking it just as much.

message 11: by Katrina (last edited Nov 15, 2011 04:02PM) (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments These are a few favourites: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope, #2) by Maureen Johnson Prized (Birthmarked, #2) by Caragh M. O'Brien The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2) by Pittacus Lore

Just realised they are all sequels (or in the case of Lola the follow up book).

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7686 comments i'm hoping to fit Lola into the Winter challenge

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16168 comments Mod
A few of the books I really enjoyed (in addition to Ready Player One) were Memoirs of a Geisha, The Poisonwood Bible and The Bean Trees. All books that I've been meaning to read for ages, and I was really glad I finally got to them.

message 14: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments Dee wrote: "i'm hoping to fit Lola into the Winter challenge"

I slotted it into 15.4 (added book to tbr during summer challenge), however there didn't seem to be many other spots to slot it into. Good luck with fitting it in, it's a great book!

message 15: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 640 comments 5 star reads:

The last 3 Harry Potters (reareads)
Beach Music
The Red Tent
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7686 comments i'll figure something out - I used anna for one of the 15 pointers (a task from a previous challenge)

message 17: by Nick (last edited Nov 21, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2539 comments I really enjoyed the opportunity to read books about Africa or set in Africa:

The White Nile by Alan Moorehead Green Hills of Africa by Ernest Hemingway Something to Answer For by P.H. Newby White Devils by Paul J. McAuley To the Heart of the Nile Lady Florence Baker and the Exploration of Central Africa by Pat Shipman
African Silences by Peter Matthiessen

message 18: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Brick Lane by Monica Ali and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson were so good. I'm glad I had such a good reason to read them!

message 19: by April (new)

April I had The Chicagoland Vampires#1 Some Girls Bite on my list and kept meaning to get to them. Glad I did. Reading the second now and I will find a way to include them in the Winter.

message 20: by Amy J. (last edited Nov 15, 2011 08:49PM) (new)

message 21: by Connie (last edited Nov 15, 2011 09:31PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments These were my favorites:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Mudbound by Hillary Jordan Sole Survivor by Derek Hansen To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

message 22: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments I had many more 5- and 4-star books this challenge than the last.

I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards, #1) by Scott Lynch Ladies and Gentlemen by Adam Ross The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip Much Obliged, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (all 5 stars).

I really liked
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller In Cold Blood A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences by Truman Capote Fade by Robert Cormier The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury The River Why by David James Duncan Rowan the Strange by Julie Hearn The End of Molasses Classes 101 Extraordinary Ways for Parents and Teachers to Get Kids Unstuck by Ron Clark and a few others... (all 4 stars)

I still have 10 books left to complete for the challenge though - and who knows, a few more 4- and 5-star reads may appear!

message 23: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Fran wrote: "My favorites turned out to be mostly YA this Fall for some reason-

YA- Into the Wild Nerd Yonder by Julie Halpern,Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta,The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson,..."

Fran, the first three books on your list are some of my favourite YA novels! :)

message 24: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments mstan, they are my favorite three YA novels too, and all three first time authors for me.

Did you read The Piper's Son? Supposed to be a great story about Tom from Saving Francesca.

message 25: by mstan (last edited Nov 16, 2011 04:14AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Fran wrote: "mstan, they are my favorite three YA novels too, and all three first time authors for me.

Did you read The Piper's Son? Supposed to be a great story about Tom from Saving Francesca."

Yep, I have read The Piper's Son. I am one of very few people who actually prefer Saving Francesca, though. (Nevertheless, I still think The Piper's Son is really good.) A comment from my review (because I can't think of how else to put it) - 'The grief and love are exhausting, and I miss the frequency of the surprising flights into frivolity that made me adore Saving Francesca.'

If you like fantasy, Finnikin of the Rock is another favourite of mine!

message 26: by Tammy AZ (last edited Nov 16, 2011 05:21AM) (new)

message 27: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Katrina wrote: "Dee wrote: "i'm hoping to fit Lola into the Winter challenge"

I slotted it into 15.4 (added book to tbr during summer challenge), however there didn't seem to be many other spots to slot it into. ..."

I fit mine into the 50 point challenge for A. I was looking for a back up book in case one of my others didn't work and when looking for books with the word "door". I got extremely excited!

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments My favorites:

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott Room by Emma Donoghue Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson The Passage by Justin Cronin The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

message 29: by Butterflycager (new)

Butterflycager | 326 comments My favorites from Fall 2011:

Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris
A Year on Ladybug Farm by Donna Ball
Naughty in Nice by Rhys Bowen
The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
Spirits in the Wires by Charles de Lint

And then there's The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley, which is so far the best book I've read all year.

message 30: by Jayme (last edited Nov 17, 2011 04:49PM) (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Room
The Story of Shirley Temple
Four To Score,
High Five
Hot Six
Seven UP
Hard Eight
To The Nines
Ten on Top
Secret Daughter
Wizard of London
Beautiful Creatures
The Literary Potato Peel Pie Society

message 31: by Chris (last edited Nov 21, 2011 03:38PM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 965 comments My favorites among books read specifically for the challenge:
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick The Ruby in the Smoke (Sally Lockhart, #1) by Philip Pullman Coraline by Neil Gaiman The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton

message 32: by Jody (new)

Jody | 124 comments Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

I had 2 five star books this time

message 36: by Connie (last edited Nov 30, 2011 02:33PM) (new)

message 37: by Mabeelle (new)

Mabeelle | 99 comments 4* Mama Does Time (Mace Bauer, #1) by Deborah Sharp Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie

message 38: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Connie wrote: "I enjoyed my reading the last three months. These are the books I gave 5 stars to:
The Book Thief
The Language of Flowers
To Kill a Mockingbird
[book:T..."

Ooohhh! I was debating between Mudbound and The Winter Sea for the Recommendations task. I have had a person say The Winter Sea is good an now I see that you have Mudbound on your 5 star list. Decisions, decisions...

message 39: by Denise (new)

Denise | 213 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Connie wrote: "I enjoyed my reading the last three months. These are the books I gave 5 stars to:
The Book Thief
The Language of Flowers
[book:To Kill a Mockingbird|26..."

I haven't read Mudbound, but I loved The Winter Sea.

message 40: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments I have The Winter Sea on my TBR list too. Maybe you could fit them both into this challenge.

message 41: by Aleksandra (last edited Dec 07, 2011 01:42AM) (new)

message 43: by Jayme VA (last edited Dec 13, 2011 05:12AM) (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments My absolutely hands down best book was Between Shades of Gray. Read this book!

Other favorites: The Gemma Doyle and Fallen Series.

The Buddha in the Attic - I know others haven't enjoyed this one. I listened to it and it was a truly beautiful audiobook.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and Raising Stony Mayhall - I had a thing for zombie books this challenge for some reason. These are pretty different if you enjoy this genre.

Maine reminded me of home.

Bossypants was good for a laugh.

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7686 comments I second Between Shades of Gray - I used it for the challenge before this one ;)