Start by marking “The Great Train Robbery” as Want to Read:
The Great Train Robbery

The Great Train Robbery

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  20,880 Ratings  ·  991 Reviews
Lavish wealth and appalling poverty live side by side in Victorian London—and Edward Pierce easily navigates both worlds. Rich, handsome, and ingenious, he charms the city's most prominent citizens even as he plots the crime of his century—the daring theft of a fortune in gold.

But even Pierce could not predict the consequences of an extraordinary robbery that targets the p
Published November 5th 2002 by Avon (first published May 12th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Train Robbery, please sign up.

M The boy's name was Spring Heel Jack. On page 8 of my copy Agar says to Pierce, "I heard...that on this train he was doing some some crow's peeping for…moreThe boy's name was Spring Heel Jack. On page 8 of my copy Agar says to Pierce, "I heard...that on this train he was doing some some crow's peeping for a particular gent that it putting up....I also heard that you are putting up." Being an American, I only speak the president's English, so I found the slang a little difficult, but I think it means that Pierce hired him to case the joint. The literary purpose of it was to show that Pierce is ruthless and didn't even care that he had gotten the boy killed for no reason. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
AndrewP Your exactly right. Buying the barkers was just a decoy to get the police looking in the wrong direction.

Dan Schwent
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
In Victorian London, can Edward Pierce and his cronies pull off a train heist and get away with a fortune in gold bullion?

Like quite a few of my reads over the years, this book appeared on my radar courtesy of Kemper. We were discussing the Breaking Bad episode Dead Freight and he asked if I'd ever read The Great Train Robbery. I said I hadn't and promptly forgot about it for a couple years until I ran across the Great Train Robbery in the local used bookstore.

The Great Train Robbery is a grippi
Sr3yas
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like Jigsaw puzzles? Imagine you are solving one: we'll start with hundreds of tiny pieces and a picture of the finished puzzle as the reference. That means we know where the puzzle is leading us, but we are not sure how all these tiny pieces are going to come together to form the big picture!

The Great Train Robbery by Micheal Crichton is a similar affair. In the initial pages itself, Crichton reveals where we are going: The Train robbery of 1855 was a success (They stole 2.5 million poun
Henry Avila
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the very proper Victorian days , of the British Empire, a shocking event caused much consternation, eventually called, "The Great Train Robbery", of 1855, the newspapers are stunned, imagine such a crime in this civilized age ! Gold bullion was stolen, from the luggage compartment, and the guaranteed, tamper proof safes, ( were not), of the south bound iron horse, from London, which was meant to arrive on the English coast, put in a ship for France, and later given to the brave soldiers in th ...more
Manju
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book came highly recommended to me by Jaya, Tarinee, and Smitha. There must be something special about this book that they've such high regards fof this book. So I put all other books on my current read shelf on hold and started reading this. And I am so glad that I read it. This book is a perfect blend of historical fiction, crime, and heist.

As the title suggests, it is about a train robbery. But once you start reading, you find that it is much more than that. It tell us about the culture,
Supratim
This one was a a really great and exciting read. I had picked it out from my library without knowing how good it really is. Initially I even thought if the book is fiction or true crime.

Reviewing this book is a bit of a challenge as I don't want to include any spoilers and mar the joy of reading this novel.

As the name suggests, the novel is about a daring train robbery and it was carried out during the Victorian era in London. At that time, the railways were seen as the symbol of progress and te
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Crichton
If I am capable of guilt when it comes to my literary tastes The Great Train Robbery could be a "guilty pleasure," but how can a man who did his honours thesis on Michael Crichton's The Great Train Robbery feel any guilt over loving The Great Train Robbery?

He can't. And I don't.

It is an exemplar of what I call cinematic writing: novel length prose that the author ultimately intends for the screen.

The characters are skill-based and maleable (sometimes even interchangeable), the chase -- either
Dyuti
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dyuti by: Adhip
Reasons why I implore you to check out this book

The Setting: The 1850's, Victorian England. Rich, colourful and detailed, this is one of the most dynamic periods of English history, forever loved by readers both young and old. It was a world of contradictions: beneath the aforementioned richness, lay the pall of poverty, sickness, prostitution and death, harboured by the ongoing Industrial Revolution. The author, Michael Chrichton flits so seamlessly between the two, that it creates a wonderf
Richard
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
3/10

I was not expecting this to be written as a factual book with a little bit of dramatisation thrown in to cover the unknown parts of the history. It didn't work for me in the slightest. The large info dumps were scattered throughout, pretty much every chapter starts with them and then almost as an afterthought parts with characters added in.

I started skimming this about 100 pages in, if this was any larger I'd have quit on it at that point (I'd feel bad for DNF'ing two books in a row too). T
Tarinee Prasad
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Do you like a well written historical fiction ?

Do you like a brilliant edge of seat crime thriller where you encounter twists with the turn of each page ?

Do you cherish a book with an intelligent,vicious and meticulous yet manipulative , cunning and ruthless anti-hero whose plannings/layers are so brilliant and detailed that he can easily give Scotland yard a run for their money ?

Do you enjoy Victorian England as the setup of your story ? An England of two parallel civilization of obvious contra
George K.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Βαθμολογία: 9/10

Αυτό είναι το δέκατο πέμπτο βιβλίο του Μάικλ Κράιτον που διαβάζω και σίγουρα είναι από τα καλύτερά του μέχρι στιγμής. Το είχα τσιμπήσει με τέσσερα ευρώ από το Παζάρι Βιβλίου τον Ιανουάριο του 2011 και από τότε έπιανε σκόνη στη βιβλιοθήκη μου. Τελικά το πήρα απόφαση να το διαβάσω επιτέλους και νιώθω τόσο χαρούμενος που το έκανα, μιας και διάβασα ένα πάρα μα πάρα πολύ ψυχαγωγικό βιβλίο.

Η όλη ιστορία βασίζεται σε αληθινά γεγονότα και διαδραματίζεται στα μέσα του 19ου αιώνα στη Μεγάλ
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/correct details 5 16 Oct 12, 2017 11:49AM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton 4 40 Jul 20, 2015 04:05PM
Sociology in this book 6 55 Mar 14, 2013 07:32AM
THE LISTS: Novel Update 3 14 Nov 05, 2011 12:43PM
  • Binary
  • Magdalene Scrolls
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Life (Contains: "Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex" / "Babies and Other Hazards of Sex" / "Stay Fit and Healthy Until You're Dead" / "Claw Your Way to the Top")
  • Dealing, or The Berkeley-To-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues
  • The Union Club Mysteries
  • Ice Reich
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Dougla ...more
More about Michael Crichton...
“Having wallowed in a delightful orgy of anti-French sentiment, having deplored and applauded the villains themselves, having relished the foibles of bankers, railwaymen, diplomats, and police, the public was now ready to see its faith restored in the basic soundness of banks, railroads, government, and police.” 6 likes