Christian Nonfiction Lovers Book Club discussion

Let's Talk Nonfiction Books! > What Christian nonfiction book are you reading and how do you feel about it so far?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 183 (183 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments I am currently reading Run Baby Run by Nicky Cruz. This is the story of one of the boys David Wilkerson ministered to in The Cross and the Switchblade.

message 2: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments I read this book a few months ago. Wow, what a story, I couldn't stop reading it, a real page turner. Nicky Cruz still speaks all over the world!

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Kempton | 24 comments I just added it to my list of books to read. It looks really good. I'm not reading a non-fiction Christian book right now...I'm just writing one! I have about three books going as we speak though, so once I get through one of those, I'll probably have something to add to this conversation about my next non-fiction read.

message 4: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Inside Out has a lot of good reviews and comments here on Goodreads!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Started Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux. I haven't got too far yet, but have to admit I am a little bored about her descriptions of her early life/childhood. But will continue on because from what I have heard about her short life is amazing.

message 6: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments I find it hard to keep on reading when a little bored, but keep us updated Nicole, maybe write an updated review.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Harris (benjamenharris) | 4 comments Erasing Hell: What God Said about Eternity, and the Things We Made Up

Good read with excellent use of scripture to back it all up.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments I started The Release of the Spirit by Watchman Nee SO GOOD so far. It is really speaking to me during this difficult time in my life. He talks about how God needs to break our outer man (body, soul, emotions) in order for our inner man (spirit) to come forth and work for the kingdom of God.

message 9: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments A book is a real treasure when it speaks to us personally, like you mentioned Nicole. Especially when that happens during difficult times in our lives. I have read several books by Watchman Nee, but not this one, thanks for sharing.

message 10: by Y.I. (new)

Y.I. Lee (yilee) I love Watchman Nee. I have most of his books, but like you Marja, not this one. It sounds really good!

message 11: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Nicole, maybe you can write a short review when you're finished?

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Unfortunatley, Release of the Spirit: The Breaking of the Outward Man for has struggled through the middle, in my opinion. It started out really strong, but now just seems extremely redundant. I am kind of disappointed. But I am not completely finished with it yet.

message 13: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Do you keep reading Nicole? I have a tendency to become impatient when that happens and really have to struggle to finish the book.

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Yes Marja, if I start something and get a considerable amount read, I become determined to finish it. So I finished this one last night. I did get some things out of it. I can definitely tell Nee is very in tune wth the Holy Spirit. However, it didn't meet my expectations.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Lilly (wolfdreamer) | 3 comments I just started Donald Miller's To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father. I think I need this book, although I just might cry.

message 16: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Jason wrote: "I just started Donald Miller's To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father. I think I need this book, although I just might cry."
I am definitely a Donald Miller fan (somehow), but I have NOT read this one, tell us more Jason!

message 17: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Nicole wrote: "Yes Marja, if I start something and get a considerable amount read, I become determined to finish it. So I finished this one last night. I did get some things out of it. I can definitely tell Nee..."
Well, that determination is missing sometimes when I get bored with a book :) I admire you for reading through Nicole!
I used to feel obliged to finish a book, but my time has become too precious... I am picky :)

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Yes, I am beginning to be the same way Marja! I am realizing there are too many good books to waste time on one that is less than mediocre.

message 19: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Nicole, sometimes I realize the timing to read a certain book is not right. I might pick it up two years later and enjoy it much better. There's a time for everything, right?! I do not feel guilty anymore for not finishing a book :)

Anyone else want to share thoughts on this?

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 14 comments I need to start reading My Emily by Matt Patterson but I have been putting it off because I am sure it is a heartbreaker.

message 21: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments A heartbreaker... well Mary, I am sure there is a time for everything :)

message 22: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Jeff wrote: "I hope to finish today "The Pursuit of God" by A.W. Tozer. I found this book interesting and insightful. I only wish it was a little longerThe Pursuit of God"

Jeff, please write a short review, I am curious...

message 23: by Ted (new)

Ted Adamson (tedw) | 9 comments I am reading a little booklet called "How did we get the Bible" which cost me a $1.99. I bought it at Family Christian Bookstores but I am pretty sure it is
available at Amazon also. The Author is Tracy Macon Sumner. I found some useful info in it.

message 24: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Jeff, we have a topic on book reviews, which is for books by Goodreads authors, but you can post it there or start a new thread. Also, you can write a review on your own profile and link it to this group... haha, in any case we need a new thread.

message 25: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Ted, I think I've seen that in the FCStore.... such unexpected treasures in a small package :)

message 26: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I just finished a book called 'Grace for the good girl; letting go of the try-hard life.'

Grace for the Good Girl Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life by Emily P. Freeman

I really loved it. It was a lot deeper then I thought it would be. You can find my thoughts here:

http://thoughtsonbookss.blogspot.com/...

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 34 comments Not directly "Christian", but very Spiritual with definite crossovers to Christianity, the book is based on a Buddist tradition.
"Inner Pilgrimage - Ten Days to a Mindful Me" by (Goodreads) author Raji Lukkoor
I will be posting my review on my blog, within a couple of days.

Excellent Book!

Patricia

message 28: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Thanks Cathy, I can tell you love that book. Great review on your blog by the way. I have put it on my to-read list!

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments I have been wanting to read The Cost of Discipleship for a few years now. Please share what you think as you read it!

message 30: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments I am with Nicole... I have had that book on my list for a long time, but still haven't read it. What do you think so far Kristine, is it inspiring, helpful, surprising, deep???

message 31: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 3 comments Reading Right Here Right Now
missional living by the fab Alan Hirsch & Lance Ford
Baker Books pub
solid meaty read that informs and moves us from comfort to embrace God's call to a mission shaped life...

message 32: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Kristine wrote: "So far, I'd say it's surprising how relevant his message continues to be, despite having been written seventy-five years ago."

Relevance... now, that would definitely have my attention. Thanks Kristine.

message 33: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Here's the link to Right here right now...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 34: by Nicole (last edited May 08, 2012 04:48PM) (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Marja wrote: "Here's the link to Right here right now...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10..."

reminds me of my favorite non-fiction christian book The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical. I will have to check it out!

message 35: by Alan (new)

Alan (professoralan) | 8 comments I just started Still: Notes on a Mid-faith Crisis, by the excellent Lauren F. Winner.

message 36: by Jason (new)

Jason Lilly (wolfdreamer) | 3 comments I just got a Kindle! Does anyone know any great free Christian books out there? I have already sucked Amazon's supply dry. :-)

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 14 comments Ah, the "where can I find freebies?" poster. Our books are great, but they are not free. Http://elkjerkyforthesoul.wordpress.com
books are linked down the right side. We have a few 99 centers. Enjoy.

message 38: by Chance (new)

Chance | 1 comments Run baby Run turned my life around im just like him tell i went 2 jail and read his book since then ive turned into the man that people wana be around and got a job but right now im reading the devils protegues its perty good not 2 bad but the beginning is boring..

message 39: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Good for you Chance!

message 40: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 3 comments Having a Canadian LongWeekend Reading Challenge..
just finished Pilgrim's Process : Essays from the Journey by Brian West and reviewed what i thought of it HERE

also, read and posted Graham Cooke's The Language of Promise. Fabulous nonfiction / Spiritual / Foundational

You're welcome to join me ~ still one more day in this Long Weekend for READING !! YAY :)

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments I just started Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Philip Yancey. I really like this author, so I anticipate good things.

message 42: by Alan (new)

Alan (professoralan) | 8 comments I am reading And The Lamb Wins, by Simon Ponsonby, a lightly-academic work on various theologies of the end times.

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Also started God in the Dark: Suffering and Desire in the Spiritual Life...Some good insights so far. However, there are parts where the writing is too text-bookish, and I feel the author gets off topic. We will see how it progresses.

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Finished God in the Dark: Suffering and Desire in the Spiritual Life by Susan Pitchford. I gave it 4 stars. It turned out to be very beneficial read, particularly with what I have been going through. I felt like the author got back on topic after chapter 2, and provided excellent information on what it means to experience "the dark night of the soul". I would strongly recommend this book to those who are going through a difficult time...whether emotionally, physically, or spiritually.

message 46: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments It turned my life around too Chance, I am volunteering with Teen Challenge worldwide!

Chance wrote: "Run baby Run turned my life around im just like him tell i went 2 jail and read his book since then ive turned into the man that people wana be around and got a job but right now im reading the dev..."

message 47: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments I just finished "What's so amazing about grace" by the same author. Ouch, still a lot to learn :)

Nicole wrote: "I just started Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Philip Yancey. I really like this author, so I anticipate good things."

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Cool Marja....So what are your thoughts? Did you like his writing?

message 49: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Yes Nicole, I thought his writing was excellent, not an easy read, but very thought provoking. The way he tackles the subject GRACE is an eye opener. I hope you find nuggets of wisdom in the book you are reading too. let us know!
Nicole wrote: "Cool Marja....So what are your thoughts? Did you like his writing?"

message 50: by Nicole (last edited Jun 26, 2012 04:50PM) (new)

Nicole | 30 comments Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would? by Pete Wilson

I really liked this book. Wilson is so genuine and his thoughts really rang true to me. He shares true stories of others struggles, or "Plan B's" as he calls them. Some of his own stories that he told made me laugh. But what I really appreciated it that he took stories from the Bible and presented them in a way that people can relate to in their present trials. I gave it 4 stars.

« previous 1 3 4